Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sounds like we are setting up win the Trifecta!!

Started by 007 License To Squeal, November 13, 2017, 05:52:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

007 License To Squeal

Can we really win the Trifecta?
1.  Bret fired!
2.  Jeff let go!
3.  The Gus Bus comes to NWA!!!

WPS!!!!
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

jgcat4

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 13, 2017, 05:52:08 pm
1.  Bret fired!
2.  Jeff let go!

WPS!!!!

Don't look so sad, 2 out of 3 ain't bad...
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

razorbackfaninar

1.  Bret fired!
2.  Jeff let go!

WPS!!!!

Whatever your opinion on Jeff Long, firing him and Bielema both at this time of the year is not optimal.  It's going to set us back significantly. If you want Bielema gone and a decent replacement then firing Jeff long right now is not the recipe. 

RME

Incredible y'all think Gus is coming here after this year.

Dude just destroyed the #1 team in the nation and has a shot at the playoff.

That's all piling onto whether or not he'd even come here in the first place. Auburn to Arkansas is not a lateral move at this point.

I hate this damn expression, but whatever you're on, I want some.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 13, 2017, 05:57:08 pm
Incredible y'all think Gus is coming here after this year.

Dude just destroyed the #1 team in the nation and has a shot at the playoff.

That's all piling onto whether or not he'd even come here in the first place. Auburn to Arkansas is not a lateral move at this point.

I hate this damn expression, but whatever you're on, I want some.

Sometimes a person's heart leads them in a different direction from where their head would lead....

We'll see

WilsonHog

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 13, 2017, 05:56:56 pm
Whatever your opinion on Jeff Long, firing him and Bielema both at this time of the year is not optimal.  It's going to set us back significantly. If you want Bielema gone and a decent replacement then firing Jeff long right now is not the recipe.

Won't set us back at all.

jkstock04

Set us back in comparison to what?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Tusks

Would it be a quadfecta if Mack Rhoades is hired as JL replacement?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 13, 2017, 06:01:26 pm

Why not?  We would likely need to have an AD in place before hiring a Coach because i think typically the relationship between an AD and a coach is pretty important, and i don't think a quality coach with options is going to take our word for it that we'll get someone he likes.

007 License To Squeal

Firing him is much better than:

1.  Giving him any say in who is hired as the HC.
2.  Giving him the opportunity to nit-pick and fire the HC whom he didn't have any say in hiring.

The better course of action would be to clean house to eliminate any possibility of Long meddling...

TrueBlue

How does firing an inept AD hurt the football team going forward?

Was Jeff calling plays or doing some recruiting that I don't know about?

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 13, 2017, 06:02:48 pm
Set us back in comparison to what?

Time wise, coaching search wise.  If you believe as most of us do that Bielema is fired at the end of the season then we are already behind several other schools and that is going to get worse. Maybe I am misunderstanding something but I think the relationship between a Coach to an AD is pretty important due to how they have to work together.  I find it hard to believe that a quality coach would come here with out an AD in place.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: TrueBlue on November 13, 2017, 06:04:29 pm
How does firing an inept AD hurt the football team going forward?

Was Jeff calling plays or doing some recruiting that I don't know about?

I mean firing him while you are trying to hire a new coach will impede the coaching search

sickboy

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 13, 2017, 06:01:26 pm

Unless we have an ace up our sleeve, the only person I can imagine will take this position after Long is either fired or gracefully takes another position somewhere else will be someone with personal ties to the program. I doubt a nationally renowned AD is going to step into a program that will fire or force out an AD as well regarded nationally as Jeff Long. I'm speaking purely about perception. Not reality, necessarily. Which tells me that if Long were to leave, we're more than likely going to slide back in to the good ol' boy system. Not saying that can't work, but we know it can go south pretty quick too.

Either way, no AD is really going to have that huge of an effect on athletic programs anyway. It's up to the coaches to win games. And unless we get a good one -- it doesn't matter who the AD is. Jeff Long or Ronald Reagan's cold corpse.

WilsonHog

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 13, 2017, 06:04:09 pm
Why not?  We would likely need to have an AD in place before hiring a Coach because i think typically the relationship between an AD and a coach is pretty important, and i don't think a quality coach with options is going to take our word for it that we'll get someone he likes.

Because I don't believe that we are in a normal situation (i.e., where hiring an AD takes two or three months and a football coach two to four weeks).

We're talking about men here who are movers and shakers, to coin an old phrase. Are we to assume they haven't thought of this and made provision for it?

I am comfortable they have.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 13, 2017, 06:04:16 pm
Firing him is much better than:

1.  Giving him any say in who is hired as the HC.
2.  Giving him the opportunity to nit-pick and fire the HC whom he didn't have any say in hiring.

The better course of action would be to clean house to eliminate any possibility of Long meddling...

OK, if you say so, but I think if we are looking for a new AD and a new coach at the same time we are screwed worse than we already are. A new coach needs to be hired ASAP after Bielema is fired, if he is fired after the MO game that gives you 2 weeks to fire Jeff long and then hire a New AD and then fire Bielema  and hire a football coach, that doesn't seem optimal.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: sickboy on November 13, 2017, 06:08:54 pm
Unless we have an ace up our sleeve, the only person I can imagine will take this position after Long is either fired or gracefully takes another position somewhere else will be someone with personal ties to the program. I doubt a nationally renowned AD is going to step into a program that will fire or force out an AD as well regarded nationally as Jeff Long. I'm speaking purely about perception. Not reality, necessarily. Which tells me that if Long were to leave, we're more than likely going to slide back in to the good ol' boy system. Not saying that can't work, but we know it can go south pretty quick too.

Either way, no AD is really going to have that huge of an effect on athletic programs anyway. It's up to the coaches to win games. And unless we get a good one -- it doesn't matter who the AD is. Jeff Long or Ronald Reagan's cold corpse.

and Tommy Tubberville enters the room.....

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 13, 2017, 06:10:43 pm
OK, if you say so, but I think if we are looking for a new AD and a new coach at the same time we are screwed worse than we already are. A new coach needs to be hired ASAP after Bielema is fired, if he is fired after the MO game that gives you 2 weeks to fire Jeff long and then hire a New AD and then fire Bielema  and hire a football coach, that doesn't seem optimal.

If you can't hire a coach fast, make sure you hire a GOOD coach..........I present Gus as the answer to your issue.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 13, 2017, 06:10:28 pm
Because I don't believe that we are in a normal situation (i.e., where hiring an AD takes two or three months and a football coach two to four weeks).

We're talking about men here who are movers and shakers, to coin an old phrase. Are we to assume they haven't thought of this and made provision for it?

OK, if you say so.  I guess we are the only university with movers and shakers. Doing something in two weeks that generally takes much longer seems like a recipe for a soup sandwich, but I guess the movers and shakers have got it all figured out.   

razorbackfaninar

WilsonHog

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 13, 2017, 06:14:38 pm
OK, if you say so.  I guess we are the only university with movers and shakers. Doing something in two weeks that generally takes much longer seems like a recipe for a soup sandwich, but I guess the movers and shakers have got it all figured out.

Once again, not a normal situation.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 13, 2017, 06:13:02 pm
If you can't hire a coach fast, make sure you hire a GOOD coach..........I present Gus as the answer to your issue.

Ugh

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 13, 2017, 06:10:28 pm

I am comfortable they have.

That's assuming the "movers and shakers" have everything locked down, which they don't at this time.

razorpimp

They need to do the ol corporate switcheroo....

Have JL fire BB
Then you fire JL

It's beautiful and rotten

hogfooey

I believe agents have been talked to longer than just 2 weeks.
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

WilsonHog

Quote from: ricepig on November 13, 2017, 06:17:25 pm
That's assuming the "movers and shakers" have everything locked down, which they don't at this time.

As long as they are working on it, I'm good with it.

Acehawg

The new coach probably doesn't want to work Jeff.  Can't say I blame him.

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 13, 2017, 06:20:21 pm
As long as they are working on it, I'm good with it.

I can understand going forth with the firing of Bielema, after that you had better have more than a plan, you need execution.

MemphisBossHog

I understand the interest in Gus and I must admit, if he would come back to NW Arkansas, it might be a really nice hire.  He knows the SEC and what it takes to be successful to be sure, but whoever is the next coach at Arkansas whenever that might be is going to have to address the talent disparity between Ark and most of the other SEC programs. 

Just because Gus recruited well at Auburn in no way shape or form means he can do it at Arkansas.  Ark is a completely different animal.  Not saying anything new here.  Auburn is geographically located right in the middle of fertile recruiting grounds of Bama, MS, Ga, Fla, SC etc.  Arkansas is in the NW corner of a sparsely populated state and apparently it is hard as Hades to convince elite high school talent to come there in large numbers.

I think Gus's system is where college football is at now.  Tempo, tempo, run run then strike for a long pass.  Score score score--and if you can recruit a top notch defense like Auburn apparently has, you can challenge for an NC. I want the next Hog coach to be skilled in the art of recruiting.  I want him to be a "closer" that can come in and seal the deal with these elite players that we need to compete in the SEC.

Gus's "system" wont be worth a hill of beans if he doesnt have talent to run it.  But a lot of you on here know more about Gus than I do and if he is a top notch recruiter and would consider coming back to Arkansas, then by all means, come on back. But if he cant, well we will just have another Bielema situation with a coach who wants to "out Alabama Alabama" (or in this case out Auburn Auburn) and play just like them and be physical and smashmouth but doesnt have near the talent that Bama does and we get what we got.   This is why I like somebody like Mike Norvell or Scott Frost--coaches who have been recruiting talent to schools that dont NORMALLY get it. That shows that he can relate to today's recruits and get them to do something that doesnt normally happen.  Many of us on here could recruit fairly well to Auburn or LSU or Bama or Georgia, but show me someone who can convince a fairly decent player who might could play in the SEC to come play football at freakin Memphis or Central Florida and I will show you somebody that Arkansas really needs.

Pigdiana Jones

I'd rather have bielema and long here than St. Gus the hypocrite.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

razorpimp

Want to start by saying I'm a Norvell guy!

I'm not sure you guys are giving Gus enough credit for his all around intelligence.  When he was at Ark St he started a marketing program around the state and smaller regional area to create attention for ASU.  He also did programs all over the state at high schools to try and create a buzz.  Did it work, who knows, but I have to give credit for creativity.

I think if he comes to Arkansas, he starts a larger marketing campaign in Oklahoma, Norther Louisiana, and East Texas....I think he hires a couple of staffers with great ties to Texas high school, keeps Michael Smith, and Barry Lunney.  He might be all the things so of you are saying but he isn't an idiot.

BOAR_N2BWILD

The fact that anyone believes that Gus is going to leave a top tier job in the SEC to come to a middle to lower tier job in the SEC is crazy. I'm not a Gus fan by any stretch of the imagination but I know crazy talk when I hear it.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

rhames

Y'all are expecting some red wedding type darn

This is the 2017 version of Gruden
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rhames

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on November 13, 2017, 06:48:52 pm
The fact that anyone believes that Gus is going to leave a top tier job in the SEC to come to a middle to lower tier job in the SEC is crazy. I'm not a Gus fan by any stretch of the imagination but I know crazy talk when I hear it.

That's not the outrageous part

The part that they feel some coup is about to be had and a new coach and ad will be named in a matter of weeks is the funny part.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

Silent

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 13, 2017, 05:57:08 pm

IF the opportunity presented itself, Gus would come back to Arkansas if Jeff Long was gone.

hobhog

Quote from: Acehawg on November 13, 2017, 06:23:34 pm
The new coach probably doesn't want to work Jeff.  Can't say I blame him.

Why? Coaches should love him.

Dwight_K_Shrute

The Mike Bike may be just as efficient to getting us to where we need to go as the Gus Bus.  Both modes of transportation have their +'s and -'s.

Nothing can happen until the Bert Boat is in dry dock.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

RME

Quote from: Silent on November 13, 2017, 06:54:22 pm
IF the opportunity presented itself, Gus would come back to Arkansas if Jeff Long was gone.

Based on what?

Why does Long have to be gone?

Silent

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 13, 2017, 07:00:22 pm
Based on what?

Why does Long have to be gone?

Based on a linkless bit of information that has no credibility here, and here's the plot twist, two sources have said the same thing, one was years ago when Gus left, the other was last year. Hey at least I'm honest  ;).

To clear the air. I'm NOT saying Gus is coming back.  I'm saying if Long ever leaves, I would not be surprised at a return of the Gussenator to Lead the Razorbacks. I'd go into detail, but I'd rather not waste the time only to be burned by the mob.

Hawginj

Quote from: Silent on November 13, 2017, 06:54:22 pm
So Gus has to get rid of his 3rd AD to come to Arkansas?

Pigasaurus

"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Hawg Life

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 13, 2017, 06:11:18 pm
and Tommy Tubberville enters the room.....

Tubbs will hire Norvell, not Gus. But, it doesn't matter because Gus ain't going to be offered the job.

East Clintwood

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 13, 2017, 05:58:59 pm
Sometimes a person's heart leads them in a different direction from where their head would lead....

We'll see

Many who know Gus doubt that he has a heart.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Get an agreement from Norvell and be done with this darn.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

EastexHawg

What makes you think they haven't already talked to and maybe even lined up Long's replacement?

ur

Quote from: pigasaurus on November 13, 2017, 07:13:18 pm
Is Gus buyout about 7mil?
No. He only has to pay Auburn for the assist. coaches contracts that don't come with him or don't stay at aub under the new coach. Prob one of the cheapest buyouts of all the coaches in contention.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Gus

2014    Auburn    8–5    4–4
2015    Auburn    7–6    2–6
2016    Auburn    8–5    5–3
2017    Auburn    8–2    6–1

With Auburn talent. How well will he do at Arkansas?
Oh and he lost 3/4 bowl games.

ur

Barners love him this week. Will they want him gone if he loses to bama again in two weeks? Barners turn quickly.

East Clintwood

1.  Bret fired!
2.  Jeff let go!

WPS!!!!

Getting stuck with Gus is not a win at all.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

rhames

Quote from: Silent on November 13, 2017, 07:10:22 pm
Based on a linkless bit of information that has no credibility here, and here's the plot twist, two sources have said the same thing, one was years ago when Gus left, the other was last year. Hey at least I'm honest  ;).

To clear the air. I'm NOT saying Gus is coming back.  I'm saying if Long ever leaves, I would not be surprised at a return of the Gussenator to Lead the Razorbacks. I'd go into detail, but I'd rather not waste the time only to be burned by the mob.

When Gus left we didn't even know who Jeff Long was.