Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where does Bielema go after Arkansas?

Started by NuttinItUp, November 13, 2017, 05:22:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on November 13, 2017, 06:37:05 pm
I'd advise taking a year or two off, enjoy the new baby, gamble his ass off in Vegas and S. Florida, move to where Jen's parents are, do a little TV BS a couple times a year, let the stink wear off a bit.

Then hope some foolish mid-major replacing their coach who upgraded jobs will roll the dice or back his way into the Purdue, Illinois, Indiana jobs when they need a coach.

The best he could hope for at this point is taking over FAU when Kiffin moves on or USF or UCF but I'm not sure that any of those AD's are dumb enough like Jeff Long to fall for his rouge.  KState is probably a closed door now. Iowa is a fart in the wind for him now. No chance a Power 5 program is taking the risk seeing how terribly he underperformed here and he brings a plan that is a losing proposition for most schools.

Purdue wouldn't hire him on a bet, with his Neanderthal offense.

Also think if he stays in the south or southeast, he will have to change his offensive system to get a job.

East Clintwood

Quote from: Sooie71923 on November 13, 2017, 08:27:58 pm
I think he ll get a chance at a P5 again. Nationally, media and people realize what Arkansas is (a mid to bottom SEC school all time) and don't fault him for not succeeding here in 5 years or less. They saw what he was able to do at a B10 power.

He ll be just fine.

Whoever replaces him will have some influence on Bert's future too.

If his replacement shows quick success, and his predecessor had success (BP, not Smilie), then it's pretty clear the guy in the middle didn't carry his (considerable) weight.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: Hook 'em Hogs on November 13, 2017, 05:55:19 pm
I could see a Western Kentucky type school.  Kind of like Petrino did to rebuild his reputation even though their reputations took severe knocks for different reasons.

I'm not a Bielema hater.  I believe he's a good coach and some things got away from him and spun out of control (all things he's responsible for).  If he's let go, I hope that he can rebuild his rep and get where he wants to go.

^^^I like this post.^^^

cypert2

Can't imagine any school, of any consequence, wanting him. He'd probably be great on tv.
Swinging on the two and the four.

98hogs

Probably Sips Whiskey and slips off to Vegas

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 13, 2017, 10:42:51 pm
Haha. Too lazy. Need to get Lanny to change my name.

You can change your screen name. Your login name will not change, but your name shown to the rest of us will be what ever you want it to be. It also changes on all of your past posts too, so don't think you can go on a troll spree and get away with it.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

idochog

I love Jesus!

Kevin

enjoys the florida sun, does some tv. then will probably return to coaching after a year
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

DeltaBoy

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 13, 2017, 05:22:03 pm
Does a small program like Rice or East Carolina or something let him try to retool as their head coach, does he go back to DC duties somewhere, or does he get into broadcasting?

Who cares.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

3kgthog

Quote from: Sooie71923 on November 13, 2017, 08:27:58 pm
I think he ll get a chance at a P5 again. Nationally, media and people realize what Arkansas is (a mid to bottom SEC school all time) and don't fault him for not succeeding here in 5 years or less. They saw what he was able to do at a B10 power.

He ll be just fine.

Disagree. The smart ones realize that both programs are similar with regard to resources and recruiting base. What Arkansas lacks is the AD that built the program staying on his ass like Alvarez. Look what happened to Gary Andersen after he left Alvarez. He failed at Oregon St. and quit.

hogsanity

If I were him, I'd enjoy my baby, lose some weight, and get a tv gig. Lot less stress. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Bryant Disciple

You never know. Will Muschamp proved he could not win the SEC East in four years at Florida. So South Carolina hired him.  ???

Mellon Collie

He's got Big Ten coordinator written all over him. 

ipigsooie

Quote from: Bryant Disciple on November 14, 2017, 10:15:02 am
You never know. Will Muschamp proved he could not win the SEC East in four years at Florida. So South Carolina hired him.  ???

Muschamp went 10-2 his second year and went to the sugar bowl. Bret hasn't quite done that. If so we would have him for 5 more years.

NuttinItUp

ipigsooie

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 14, 2017, 10:49:03 am

If Nebraska is really going after Bret Bielema and Jim McElwain, then they really have fallen further than I thought.

I think that waa already obvious when they hired Riley. I bet oregon st paid his fare out of town.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 14, 2017, 10:53:20 am
I think that waa already obvious when they hired Riley. I bet oregon st paid his fare out of town.

Les Miles would be a better coach for them, and his son plays for Nebraska, apparently. Also, during a game he did color for earlier this year, he apparently kept saying "we" when referring to Nebraska. (likely because his son plays for them)

bkjbearcat

The MAC, Missouri Valley or D2. Of course I've been saying I can see him as the successor to Old Man Snyder at K-State as long as BB keeps Snyder's son around for 2 years or until he finds a HC job somewhere.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Atlhogfan1

He'll be a head coach at the FBS level again when he decides he wants to and probably will be in a P5 conference again not too long after that if it isn't his next step.  I doubt he would take a dead end job like KU right now although he could probably land somewhere like that.  A USF-like job would be a good spot outside the P5.  Only problem for him in Florida is you have to take at risk kids especially at a USF, UCF, FAU, FIU. 

Bielema is young for a coach.  His resume can be spun:  did well at Wisconsin, took on the challenge at Arkansas at a time when the program needed to be rebuilt after turmoil, Arkansas can't recruit like most of the SEC, schedule has been brutally tough, injuries in his final season decimated team from a leadership standpoint, didn't succeed in a tough job, still built a good program off the field, does things the right way in terms of the NCAA, good personality to work with as far as administration, etc.  - no reason to respond to argue these as I'm not saying they are all true, understand what it means to spin a resume.  He is still marketable (unless something crazy comes out).

Should take a season off and spend it with wife and daughter and visiting other coaches and NFL franchises.  Keep his contacts and maybe evolve his thinking on the game. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Next1_04

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 13, 2017, 05:36:01 pm
I read on here many times his next step after Arkansas would be the NFL.
LOL!!! What a riot. NFL Network, maybe.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

okrazorback

If I had All the money He will have when he leaves I would go anywhere I wanted to go. I haven't heard anyone say he is leaving  except people on this
board, but I hope he l e aves.

Bardicer

Quote from: moses_007 on November 13, 2017, 05:51:07 pm
No NFL team will hire a perennial loser.

If he doesn't win out, this will be his second losing season. 

The definition of perennial:

per·en·ni·al
pəˈrenēəl/Submit
adjective
lasting or existing for a long or apparently infinite time; enduring or continually recurring.
"his perennial distrust of the media"
synonyms:   abiding, enduring, lasting, everlasting, perpetual, eternal, continuing, unending, unceasing, never-ending, endless, undying, ceaseless, persisting, permanent, constant, continual, unfailing, unchanging, never-changing
"the perennial fascination with crime"

More fact checking, less knee jerk stupidity.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on November 14, 2017, 07:54:56 am
You can change your screen name. Your login name will not change, but your name shown to the rest of us will be what ever you want it to be. It also changes on all of your past posts too, so don't think you can go on a troll spree and get away with it.
Haha. Thanks for that info. I did not know that.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

code red

Bret's style translates only to programs who recruit their asses off.  So.  Unless he changes scheme....he's headed to TV.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hook 'em Hogs

Quote from: STLhawg on November 13, 2017, 09:14:45 pm
WOW are you really that dense?  BB isn't even a mediocre coach much less a good one.  I have never been BB hater (in fact quite often argued BB deserved time to build his program), but it is well past time to call a spade a spade!  The fact you say "if he's let go" speaks volumes about you.  LOL

Ahh, the belittling of someone who has a different opinion of you.  Classic!  +1 if I could.  I haven't seen it used so coldly in quite a while. 

The "If he's let go" is simply my lack of inside knowledge as to whether he will be fired this year or not.  I know that some of you guys just "know" in your gut and stuff.  I don't trust my gut in things like this-too many moving parts.  If I had facts that you apparently have, I'd say "When he is let go."  I simply don't know.  I have an opinion though, and I think it's important to be able to share opinions without name calling. 

There are simply too many examples in life (including coaching) where a great employee did a great job before and after a stop on his/her career path, but during that middle stop just couldn't get it rolling.  I'll stand by my statement that he's a good coach because he didn't just magically plop down at Wisconsin.  He worked his way up and did good work and landed a big time job where he performed well.  For two years, he had the national media talking about how he had Arkansas rolling.  The end of last year and all of this year have rightly silenced that talk.  I think some poor hires and failure to keep his personal philosophy as THE philosophy have led to this.  He's made big mistakes that may very well cost him his job-again, I won't say for sure because I don't know.