Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

More disturbing facts

Started by Captain Morgan, November 13, 2017, 02:21:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Morgan

These coaches are pathetic at developing players, check this out in recruiting rankings

2012 Arkansas 27th/Wisconsin 65th
2013 Arkansas 23rd/Wisconsin 40th
2014 Arkansas 29th/Wisconsin 33rd
2015 Arkansas 22nd/Wisconsin 41st
2016 Arkansas 23rd/Wisconsin 36th
2017 Arkansas 25th/Wisconsin 39th

Razorbackers

Has Wisconsin played a ranked opponent yet?

hogsanity

Quote from: Captain Morgan on November 13, 2017, 02:21:38 pm
These coaches are pathetic at developing players, check this out in recruiting rankings

Ok, now what were the other big10 teams ranked in recruiting? What were the other sec teams ranked in recruiting?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Sho Nuff

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 13, 2017, 02:22:59 pm
Iowa was ranked, Badgers crushed them.  They do play an easy schedule though.

rude1

Didn't Wi. open the season a year ago beating LSU and end it by beating Auburn? True they have played a weak schedule this year but they showed last season they could play with some SEC teams.

Next1_04

Captain Morgan

Quote from: hogsanity on November 13, 2017, 02:25:36 pm
Ok, now what were the other big10 teams ranked in recruiting? What were the other sec teams ranked in recruiting?

It just proves these coaches have quit on these players... And this happened along time ago. 24.8 average recruiting ranking to a 42 average recruiting ranking. 24.8 recruiting ranking shouldn't be getting you beat by 3 scores over and over.

factchecker

Recruiting rankings within their respective conferences.

2013 Arkansas 9th/Wisconsin 7th
2014 Arkansas 11th/Wisconsin 5th
2015 Arkansas 11th/Wisconsin 6th
2016 Arkansas 9th/Wisconsin 6th
2017 Arkansas 10th/Wisconsin 7th

Add the fact that Alabama, Auburn, and LSU are routinely in the top 10 while Wisconsin rarely plays a team that recruits in the top 10.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Razorbackers

Quote from: rude1 on November 13, 2017, 02:27:50 pm
Didn't Wi. open the season a year ago beating LSU and end it by beating Auburn? True they have played a weak schedule this year but they showed last season they could play with some SEC teams.

Interesting. Maybe we should hire their coach.

hogsanity

Quote from: factchecker on November 13, 2017, 02:35:13 pm

Add the fact that Alabama, Auburn, and LSU are routinely in the top 10 while Wisconsin rarely plays a team that recruits in the top 10.

This year no michigan state, ohio st or penn st.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

oldhog63

We should be a perennial top 25 team with occasional (once a decade or so) top ten appearance. Anything else should be unacceptable.

hogsanity

Quote from: oldhog63 on November 13, 2017, 02:38:49 pm
We should be a perennial top 25 team with occasional (once a decade or so) top ten appearance. Anything else should be unacceptable.

And you base that on what, other than your desire for it to be so?

LAGNAF

Arkansas opponents records  59 Wins  40 Losses 4 teams played currently ranked

Wisconsin opponents records  46 Wins  55 Losses 0 teams played currently ranked

3 Arkansas opponents currently ranked in top 11

Hogwild

They split a pair of neutral site games with LSU, they didn't play Auburn last year.   Wisconsin was in the Cotton Bowl vs PJ Fleck's undefeated team.

rude1

Quote from: Hogwild on November 13, 2017, 02:52:37 pm
They split a pair of neutral site games with LSU, they didn't play Auburn last year.   Wisconsin was in the Cotton Bowl vs PJ Fleck's undefeated team.
Right I was wrong about the Auburn game, they opened the season with a win vs LSU.

DeltaBoy

Whiskey kept winning and we went up then the bottom dropped out the past 2 years.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

oldhog63

Quote from: hogsanity on November 13, 2017, 02:40:29 pm
Based on we recruit in the 25ish range and when we have had competent coaches we have been ranked.

greenie

CBB pretty much did his job recruiting. Fell down pretty hard with the rest of his job the last couple of years.

HF#1

Quote from: greenie on November 13, 2017, 03:37:19 pm
CBB pretty much did his job recruiting. Fell down pretty hard with the rest of his job the last couple of years.

Did his job recruiting how? By keeping the status quo?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogsanity

Quote from: oldhog63 on November 13, 2017, 03:35:18 pm
Based on we recruit in the 25ish range and when we have had competent coaches we have been ranked.

5 times, 5 times in our almost 26 completed seasons in the sec. To compare, we finished ranked 6 times in the 80's alone.

As for the recruiting, yea 25ish, which makes them 10ish in the sec. Going to lose a lot of games when just about everyone in the conference has better players, and much more depth of talent.

Stewhog 11

I'm a little confused as to what everyone is arguing about. I think the point of the OP is that Wisconsin's recruiting rankings are much lower than ours but still having better teams. While sure they're playing a much easier schedule than us, they're still better. That's the point. Does anyone think we would beat them this year?

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Tyrant Hog

This is terrible!!!! Why has Bielema not been FIRED?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Mellon Collie

Quote from: Captain Morgan on November 13, 2017, 02:21:38 pm

I understand the point you are making...but...  Rankings such as these mean little to nothing in terms of the actual player talent in relation to each team.  Recruiting rankings are skewed and not scientific in the least and should not be used as an argument to defend or oppose a viewpoint on coaching ability.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Mellon Collie on November 13, 2017, 06:09:35 pm
I understand the point you are making...but...  Rankings such as these mean little to nothing in terms of the actual player talent in relation to each team.  Recruiting rankings are skewed and not scientific in the least and should not be used as an argument to defend or oppose a viewpoint on coaching ability.

Not coaching ability but the ability to develop the players which Bielema and his goons have no idea on what to do

Hawg Life

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 13, 2017, 02:36:02 pm
Interesting. Maybe we should hire their coach.

We already tried that!!

Swestwill66

Just curious, I wonder what TCU recruit ranking and win loss record is for past 5 years ?

ChicoHog

Thank you fact checker.  It's a huge issue when we are ranked that low in recruiting within our conference.  Kudos to Wisconsin for developing players but the Big Ten West is by far the worst division in football although SEC East is not much better. 

shown006

It could be based on 2010 through 2011 21-5 record in the most difficult division in the country.  Probably a more realistic goal is Top 3 in the West 3 out of 6 years which will get you in the Top 25 50% of the time, and once in every 10-15 years a run at the playoff.
WPS!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

They beat an LSU squad with a coach that was being pushed out the door. Les Miles wasnt the same that season
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

From Tusk Till Dawn

I just posted this in another thread:

"In the presser they mentioned 50% of our games over the last 5 years were against ranked opponents and was the most difficult record in either the sec or all of college football, I don't remember which.  How crazy is that?  Im sure its similar with all sec west schools but curious how that stacks up against other conferences.  Bottom line, not an easy gig"

Not making excuses but during CBB's time here there are at minimum 4 schools from the west that are typically ranked and those same 4 typically have had top 10ish recruiting classes.

wendellgee

We would be bad in any P5 conference. Good thing that Rutgers, Toledo and Texas Tech aren't in the SECW.

Fan1958

And if Arkansas played Wisconsin's schedule, not sure they wouldn't be 0-9 at this point.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

Jimbob111

You serious, Clark?  Taken alone, I can see your point, but look at the pattern. A school with recruiting rankings that are historically half as good as Arkansas continues to pump out winning seasons. Wisconsin does pretty well in bowl games against other teams not from the Big 10 so you can't argue that they never play anyone--although I do agree their schedule in conference tends to be soft.

But the recruiting rankings do matter in terms of player development because there is usually (except for the few athletes that peak early) a higher ceiling with higher ranked recruits in terms of development. If that weren't the case, why would most schools strive for better recruiting classes?

So, in general, a coach of coaching equal talent with a recruiting class ranked 25-30 should have a better record than a an equally talented coach with a recruiting class ranked 45-50. And I do understand that Wisconsin doesn't play SEC teams with a higher recruiting ranking on a weekly basis like Arkansas however Beliema lost to Toledo, Rutgers, Texas Tech, and TCU and the Ragin Cajuns. What were their recruiting classes ranked?

So your assertion that comparing a coaches record against another coaches record, taking into account their respective class recruiting rankings, is invalid does not hold water and is, in fact, invalid.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

ShadowHawg

LSU played them in Milwaukee and later fired their coach during the season. Auburn didn't have their starting qb or leading rusher.

Pretty much proves nothing of the sort.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Jimbob111 on November 13, 2017, 10:55:13 pm
You serious, Clark?  Taken alone, I can see your point, but look at the pattern. A school with recruiting rankings that are historically half as good as Arkansas continues to pump out winning seasons. Wisconsin does pretty well in bowl games against other teams not from the Big 10 so you can't argue that they never play anyone--although I do agree their schedule in conference tends to be soft.

But the recruiting rankings do matter in terms of player development because there is usually (except for the few athletes that peak early) a higher ceiling with higher ranked recruits in terms of development. If that weren't the case, why would most schools strive for better recruiting classes?

So, in general, a coach of coaching equal talent with a recruiting class ranked 25-30 should have a better record than a an equally talented coach with a recruiting class ranked 45-50. And I do understand that Wisconsin doesn't play SEC teams with a higher recruiting ranking on a weekly basis like Arkansas however Beliema lost to Toledo, Rutgers, Texas Tech, and TCU and the Ragin Cajuns. What were their recruiting classes ranked?

So your assertion that comparing a coaches record against another coaches record, taking into account their respective class recruiting rankings, is invalid does not hold water and is, in fact, invalid.

+1000000

longpig

You have a link to the science showing there is no science in recruiting rankings?
Don't be scared, be smart.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Swestwill66 on November 13, 2017, 09:00:15 pm
Just curious, I wonder what TCU recruit ranking and win loss record is for past 5 years ?
TCU's, just like Wisconsin's, won/loss totals, would be much worse if they played our schedule, year in and year out.

LZH

That may be comparing apples to oranges, conferences and schedules and recruiting rankings and what not. But to me, the bottom line is, I would bet a dime to a dollar that Wisconsin would beat us by 4 TD's. That is all that really matters.

majp51

Actually let's make this worse. Let's compare this to Mississippi Stae (MSU) so now we have apples to apples.

2012 MSU 22nd/Ark 27th
2013 MSU 24th/Ark 23rd
2014 MSU 36th/Ark 29th
2015 MSU 18th/Ark 22nd
2016 MSU 28th/Ark 23rd
2017 MSU 24th/Ark 27th

So basically identical rankings. Sometimes MSU finishes slightly higher sometimes slightly worse. Meanwhile in that same 5 year span MSU has had precisely 1 losing season (2016) and with almost no seniors this year, and a top 20 recruiting class next year, actually seems primed to actually challenge Bama next year.

What is the difference? Coaching!! The ability to identify QB's and develop then, and the willingness to quickly cut bait on Defensive coaching that doesn't work out.

BTW, MSU though is also the poster child for why perennial top 25 is not a good measuring stick. I mean would anyone here say that a 9-4 season, with a bowl win, is not a successful season? That is MSU's 2015 record, yet they never made the top 25.

212hawg

Quote from: hogsanity on November 13, 2017, 02:25:36 pm

Yo...I love this guy. Hosanity indeed!

hawginbigd1

Just maybe the historical performance of the program over decades

#1Fan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 13, 2017, 11:39:38 pm
LSU played them in Milwaukee and later fired their coach during the season. Auburn didn't have their starting qb or leading rusher.

Actually, they played at Lambeau Field and since it was a neutral site game LSU had about 30,000 fans there, IIRC.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 14, 2017, 09:52:32 am

The 5 times they have ended the season ranked in the last 26 years ( counting this one )? That historical performance?

majp51

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 14, 2017, 09:52:32 am

Except as MSU proves quite easily over the Dan Mullen Years, once you are no longer considered elite, or ever considered in MSU's case, merely having a good record is not sufficient to be ranked. MSU Has had 8 wins or more in 4 Seasons (soon to be 5) under Dan Mullen, only 2 years (maybe 3) where they finish in the top 25.

Unless you are meaning Ranked at some point in the season.

hogginbama

Should be by the recruiting rankings, but then again, all of our conference games, aside from 1 or 2, are against teams that out recruit us. That in itself leads to more losses than is allowed to be in top 25. Just because Hogville says it is so, does not make it the gospel. Sometimes you gotta do your own logical thinking.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogginbama on November 14, 2017, 11:35:49 am
Hogville  logical thinking.

Bwahhh, you actually put Hogville and logical thinking in the same post-----------oh man, thats gold.

code red

How many times have we even placed 2nd or 3rd in the West???  You logic is flawed until we recruit in the top 15 we will never be ranked.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hogsanity

Quote from: code red on November 14, 2017, 11:58:57 am
How many times have we even placed 2nd or 3rd in the West???  You logic is flawed until we recruit in the top 15 we will never be ranked.

There is no logic, there is just " I want to root for a top 25 teams so the Hogs should be top 25 " thats the depth of the thought on that.

rude1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 13, 2017, 11:39:38 pm

Let's bring Bert back for another season these losses mean nothing when we have had so many injuries!!!!!