Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I was wrong

Started by Sho Nuff, November 13, 2017, 02:14:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sho Nuff

I was one of the guys that wanted Mike gone about 3/4 through the season last year.  I've always like him as a person, I was just disappointed with the results.  He turned it around and has recruited his tail off.  I know it's early in the season, but this team looks like they have talent, athleticism and fight.  I'm happy for Mike and I think he will be here for a long time.

Razorbackers

Hey, same thing. After 16-16, I was pretty annoyed, then we had that stretch in the middle of the season last year where we lost to some crap teams. I was done. I even think I made a post here about it.

Thankfully, someone lit a fire under Mike, and it's paid off.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Sho Nuff on November 13, 2017, 02:14:40 pm
I was one of the guys that wanted Mike gone about 3/4 through the season last year.  I've always like him as a person, I was just disappointed with the results.  He turned it around and has recruited his tail off.  I know it's early in the season, but this team looks like they have talent, athleticism and fight.  I'm happy for Mike and I think he will be here for a long time.

Well said.

The Missouri and Vanderbilt losses last season were troubling and looked like they might be a tipping point, but Mike rallied the troops and now everything seems to all be moving in the right direction.

LRHawg

I think many of us deserve to eat some crow. I ate mine last season when we ended up turning it around and making the tournament. I'm glad to see how hard Mike and his staff have been working, it appears to be starting to pay off!

rhog1

Same with me. I even posted on here it was time for a change. I really like Mike Anderson and am glad to be wrong. Hopefully he keeps this going and coaches here until he retires.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 13, 2017, 02:16:15 pm
Hey, same thing. After 16-16, I was pretty annoyed, then we had that stretch in the middle of the season last year where we lost to some crap teams. I was done. I even think I made a post here about it.

At halftime of the game @LSU last year, I don't think anyone was wrong for wanting Mike fired. At that pace, he should have been. Mike just turned it around and he should be credited for that.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 13, 2017, 02:29:22 pm
At halftime of the game @LSU last year, I don't think anyone was wrong for wanting Mike fired. At that pace, he should have been. Mike just turned it around and he should be credited for that.
He finally started playing some zone and it seemed to have a major affect.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

jackflash

I need to eat crow I was wrong about Mike

dfwalumdad

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 13, 2017, 02:16:15 pm

let me tell you the difference between bert and mike no one had to light a fire under mike. he lit it himself.

Paul

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 13, 2017, 04:15:42 pm
He finally started playing some zone and it seemed to have a major affect.
yes & not pressing full court all the time & giving up mucho layups.  I'm proud of the way the team is playing so far

LA Football fan

I wasn't wrong because I was against Mike due to recruiting, not so much his coaching.  His recruiting was lackluster, he lost the best recruits from in state, and he was struggling to make the NCAA tourney.  I was also for hiring him and thought he would turn it around much sooner.   He now has the talent to compete at a high level and he is getting the best in state talent again.  I think that was the last piece of the puzzle.  In state talent looks good for the future so he should be able to keep the pipe line going.  Good for him and good for the program.  Hope he retires here and in the end accomplishes as much, if not more, than Nolan.  Great representative for the program and state.  I realize this is only two games into the season so we could still hit a rough patch here and there, but I think he finally has recruited the talent to compete with the elite programs and make a run in the tourney and not just squeak in.  Chaney was the recruit that showed me that Mike and his staff was taking recruiting to the next level.  I believe we will give Kentucky a run for their money most years moving forward.

Hogsfan1981

I wouldn't have been mad at anyone for having doubts. 16-16 had everyone a little concerned. Not to mention we have had some serious downers regarding big time recruits since Mike has got here. Just one hit after another.

I'm not blaming him for it. You can't control where a man wants to go play ball.

It is nice to see recruiting looking so good again.

Have to give it to this staff. They find a way.

Love that the teams each year are almost always fun to watch. It is still EARLY but the future of this season and beyond looks promising.

MikePiazza

The FBI investigations are only going to make it more of a level playing field for Mike and his staff. The turnaround that people were expecting from Mike when he got here didn't happen as quickly because Mike wasn't going to get his hands dirty and get in the AAU/shoe fray and get caught up in all that.

Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State, all of those schools where they have coaches who actually embrace getting their hands dirty, won't be successful long term. Hog fans can be happy that Mike did it the right way (and I'm not saying that in the Jeff Long sense of "not a win at all costs program").
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

HawgsPolo

Sounds like a fair weather fan and don't act as if we don't know what happened two seasons ago and why they went 16-16, yet still finished above the preseason prediction.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

hawgball40

Quote from: HawgsPolo on November 13, 2017, 04:46:00 pm
Sounds like a fair weather fan and don't act as if we don't know what happened two seasons ago and why they went 16-16, yet still finished above the preseason prediction.
Not a fair weather fan, but perhaps someone who doesn't pay as close attention to the basketball team as us diehards do. Us diehards knew about the tough breaks with kapita not getting eligible(yet he was magically eligible later on at NC State) and beard being in trouble, and qualls and portis going pro, the latter somewhat unexpectedly. It made sense that we were gonna suck that year. But that was probably the best 16-16 we've ever had. they went out fighting in every single game, even when down by 20 points they kept fighting. IIRC, they did lose quite a few games by only a handful of points.

Sho Nuff

Quote from: HawgsPolo on November 13, 2017, 04:46:00 pm
?

Biggus Piggus

MA's going to have a freaky loss or two every year. When the schedule piles up on 'em, they are going to let up sometimes. Effort level is everything in this system, and it is hard to sustain the effort, especially when you have those midweek road games.
[CENSORED]!

farmhawg

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 13, 2017, 04:32:23 pm
let me tell you the difference between bert and mike no one had to light a fire under mike. he lit it himself.

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 13, 2017, 07:20:22 pm
MA's going to have a freaky loss or two every year. When the schedule piles up on 'em, they are going to let up sometimes. Effort level is everything in this system, and it is hard to sustain the effort, especially when you have those midweek road games.

Totally agree.

I always said it about Nolan's teams as well. They can beat anybody and lose to anybody.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 13, 2017, 04:32:23 pm

You beat me too it.

HogFansReunited

I wanted him gone as well. I actually said that he wasn't the right man for the job when he was hired.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Hollywood_HOGan45

I've akeays been a fan of mike but it did get very frustrating with all the losses at mid season but this program has done a 180 since the win on the road vs eventual final four team South Carolina.

This is going to be really fun.

Smalltownhog95

I was off the Mike train after those 2 losses last year and got right back on when I took my younger brother to the Ole Miss game that Macon scored 30 in. Crow is delicious. It's even better seeing the athletes this year.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

PORKULATOR

Look we beat a good team last night,  a tournament team.  I repeat, we beat a tournament team last night and I've always been in Mike guy.   I even know his neighbor. Lol
True story
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

BadHog

Just off of two games and we are having crow for dinner?

Mike has been recruiting his tail off every year but several events off the radar derailed his plans. MA has learned a few things to say the least.

This team, in these first two games, not only exhibits talent, but a real focus and grasp of the MA system. The team looked polished (except for a few freshman mistakes) and sharp, aggressive - not backing down for a minute.

Looking forward to Friday!
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

hoglady

Barford and Macon are on a mission this year.
The intensity they both play with the entire game is hard to match.
That effort spreads to the rest of team - we have a true team this year, no doubt.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hobhog

All you have to do is dance.

WPS

rzrbackramsfan

I still don't understand why you all wanted him gone.  He's consistently out performed his recruiting rankings and had us respectable in the conference every year. 

When we lost to mizzou, you could just tell it was going to be a magical night for them.  It was in recognition of a sweet little girl that had a serious disease, Eric beisl called us out, they recognized the border war trophy, and always love to get up for us because of CMA.  So they play lights out and barely win at home. 

Then Vandy came in and shot lights out like they can do. 

We had a solid team team though and we're still projected to make the tournament with lots coming back, a top 25 '17 recruiting class and the number '18 recruiting class. 

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on November 13, 2017, 10:23:57 pm
I still don't understand why you all wanted him gone.  He's consistently out performed his recruiting rankings and had us respectable in the conference every year. 

When we lost to mizzou, you could just tell it was going to be a magical night for them.  It was in recognition of a sweet little girl that had a serious disease, Eric beisl called us out, they recognized the border war trophy, and always love to get up for us because of CMA.  So they play lights out and barely win at home. 

Then Vandy came in and shot lights out like they can do. 

We had a solid team team though and we're still projected to make the tournament with lots coming back, a top 25 '17 recruiting class and the number '18 recruiting class.

Ah man, brings back memories of getting banned from hogville.