Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AP Top 25: Week 2

Started by Next1_04, November 13, 2017, 01:59:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Next1_04

November 13, 2017, 01:59:54 pm Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:13:08 pm by Next1_04
1. Duke
2. Michigan State
3. Arizona
4. Kansas
5. Villanova
6. Wichita State
7. Kentucky
8. Florida
9. North Carolina
10. Southern California
11. Miami
12. Cincinnati
13. Notre Dame
14. Minnesota
15. Xavier
16. Texas AM
17. Gonzaga
18. Louisville
19. Purdue
20. Northwestern
21. Saint Mary's
22. Seton Hall
23. UCLA
24. West Virginia
25. Baylor

ADavisTheGOAT

Minnesota is going to be a really nice win.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

FineAsSwine

How is South Carolina ranked? Is this the women's poll?
Hogs up! Covid down!

010HogFan

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 13, 2017, 02:05:47 pm
How is South Carolina ranked? Is this the women's poll?

Good will from their final four run I guess...Losing players only affects Arkansas according to the media

Sho Nuff

Quote from: Next1_04 on November 13, 2017, 01:59:54 pm
1. Duke
2. Michigan State
3. Arizona
4. Kansas
5. Villanova
6. Wichita State
7. Kentucky
8. Florida
9. North Carolina
10. South Carolina
11. Miami
12. Cincinnati
13. Notre Dame
14. Minnesota
15. Xavier
16. Texas AM
17. Gonzaga
18. Louisville
19. Purdue
20. Northwestern
21. Saint Mary's
22. Seton Hall
23. UCLA
24. West Virginia
25. Baylor
#10 is actually Southern California

http://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll

1highhog

I don't won't us ranked right now, why do any of you?  We have some tough games ahead plus the SEC to worry about, I want this team to be hungry, I only worry about what we are ranked at the end of the season.

Next1_04

Quote from: 1highhog on November 13, 2017, 02:30:50 pm
I don't won't us ranked right now, why do any of you?  We have some tough games ahead plus the SEC to worry about, I want this team to be hungry, I only worry about what we are ranked at the end of the season.

Who above said "we want to be ranked"? I guess I missed it.

phadedhawg

yeah as impressive as our wins were, we haven't played "anybody" yet.

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on November 13, 2017, 02:50:32 pm
Arkansas is ranked #39

What a joke.  We beat seton hall in the tournament.  Seton hall beats monmouth by 10 who beat Bucknell by 1.  Whatever.

Hawg Red

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on November 13, 2017, 02:54:45 pm
What a joke.  We beat seton hall in the tournament.  Seton hall beats monmouth by 10 who beat Bucknell by 1.  Whatever.

The conclusions you're trying to draw from common opponent results (especially using results from a prior season) will lead to nowhere. Don't worry about it. We're 2 games in. No one is going to remember who the #24 team was after the first weekend of the season.

hawgball40

Hogs got 4 votes this week. Alabama and Missourri are both also not ranked, despite good wins on opening weekend. Alot of good teams in that top 25 poll. but i'd like our chances against nearly every team in the top 25, even #1 duke. I think we could shut bagley down.

hawgball40

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 13, 2017, 03:02:20 pm
The conclusions you're trying to draw from common opponent results (especially using results from a prior season) will lead to nowhere. Don't worry about it. We're 2 games in. No one is going to remember who the #24 team was after the first weekend of the season.
The results he's using are from this season.
Seton hall beat Monmouth 75-65
Monmouth beat Bucknell 79-78
Arkansas beat Bucknell 101-73

I agree with the posters assertion, we're being slept on and we are gonna surprise some folks at the PK80.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Top 25 in basketball means squat.

Fan701

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 13, 2017, 03:13:08 pm
Hogs got 4 votes this week. Alabama and Missourri are both also not ranked, despite good wins on opening weekend. Alot of good teams in that top 25 poll. but i'd like our chances against nearly every team in the top 25, even #1 duke. I think we could shut bagley down.
Let's see, Kentucky is at 7.  After watching them and us the first two games, I'd have to make us at least a 10 point favorite if we played tomorrow, so, so much for early season polls.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 13, 2017, 03:16:15 pm

I agree with the posters assertion, we're being slept on and we are gonna surprise some folks at the PK80.

He started out with "we beat Seton Hall in the tournament."

So....yeah.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on November 13, 2017, 02:50:32 pm
Arkansas is ranked #39
Fair considering our preseason ranking. We beat two average mid-majors handily, but it's not like we beat two top teams in the nation. We have to be realistic here.

razorhead94

Have a good showing in the PK80 tournament and this team will definitely be ranked.  Need to have a few good national games.  Just keep winning and the rankings will take care of themselves.  This team when hungry is more dangerous anyway I think.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

rzrbackramsfan

Yea and that's just one example.  Arkansas is being slept on in a major way and it's seriosuly not cool.  We need to be going from 20th to 10 with a win over UNC not from 39th to 25th. 

lynbug

We still have many obstacles ahead of us.  I would much rather be underestimated than overestimated.

MountieDawg

They should wait til Dec 25th for the first basketball polll... It could be a Christmas present... Schedules are so out of whack that its pure guessing...
SEC!

Hawg Red

Quote from: MountieDawg on November 13, 2017, 04:35:50 pm
They should wait til Dec 25th for the first basketball polll... It could be a Christmas present... Schedules are so out of whack that its pure guessing...

Agreed. We don't know who the 25 best teams are right now.

Paul

hawgball40

Quote from: razorhead94 on November 13, 2017, 03:25:44 pm
Have a good showing in the PK80 tournament and this team will definitely be ranked.  Need to have a few good national games.  Just keep winning and the rankings will take care of themselves.  This team when hungry is more dangerous anyway I think.
wont be an easy road. Oklahoma looked pretty good in their opener. Trae young had a pretty wack game shooting the ball, but they say he has serious range. He took and missed several from near half court. also, the little dude is lightning fast too. ou has some size and skill. they'll be a tough out

SPAL

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 13, 2017, 05:37:06 pm
wont be an easy road. Oklahoma looked pretty good in their opener. Trae young had a pretty wack game shooting the ball, but they say he has serious range. He took and missed several from near half court. also, the little dude is lightning fast too. ou has some size and skill. they'll be a tough out

If  oh you beats us because some frosh is hitting bombs from near half court, I'll tip my cap and move on..

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 13, 2017, 05:41:05 pm
Watching Minnesota now.  Pretty darn good team!  They will make serious noise in their conference, gonna challenge MSU for the ring.  This game will definately tell us where our program is!
Providence is coming back

HogFoo

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 13, 2017, 05:48:05 pm
If  oh you beats us because some frosh is hitting bombs from near half court, I'll tip my cap and move on..
No doubt!  I certainly wouldn't count on them ever doing it again down the road if we ever met. haha..

As for this team being ranked.. hey, we had a long stretch of caca...  we had a few ups and down in the last few years, so its gonna take a couple years of getting the tourney, maybe making the sweet 16 a couple of years in a row before we starting automatically garnishing early season top 25 recognition.   I myself like the role of being given very little recognition.  ilike that they over looked us.  I think the team will play harder that way.  Mike can always use it as extra ammo to say, hey, they hating on us boys!  now go kick some arse!   So, with that said, let them keep us out of the top 25 until we kick OU in the sack, and then exact our revenge on a UNC that will probably be thinking they will have an easy game... but, if we beat OU like I think we will, I doubt UNC will over look us... which, as good as this team has been playing, I tell ya what, I don't think itll matter right now if they aren't overlooking us, because I think we'll beat them too!  Hog are back, and are going to just get better and better.  Adding more depth along the way.  so, teams ranked ahead of us now, enjoy it while it lasts, because the Hogs are coming for you!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

ShadowHawg

No way that either Kentucky or Florida are top 10. Both have serious issues on defense.

The Gators are really missing Hill and Robinson and look slow as a team.

HogFoo

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 13, 2017, 07:15:14 pm
No way that either Kentucky or Florida are top 10. Both have serious issues on defense.

The Gators are really missing Hill and Robinson and look slow as a team.
I agree.   I haven't seen a team this year that I didn't think the Hogs would smoke from conf.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Hawg Red

Kentucky is not going to be very good this season (by their standards). They've won by a combined 14 points this season against far inferior teams. I don't think the makeup of the team is very good and the talent level is not transcendent. Believe they have a player or two hurt as well. 

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Fan701 on November 13, 2017, 03:16:44 pm
Let's see, Kentucky is at 7.  After watching them and us the first two games, I'd have to make us at least a 10 point favorite if we played tomorrow, so, so much for early season polls.

Too bad for them.  They didnt look good against Utah Valley. We could torch them right now, shorthanded. If we are peaking towards the of the year when we actually meet in Feb...Im looking for a serious beat down at the Bud on the mildcats. That game is marked on my calendar.

Book it Dan-o

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Triple T

Quote from: ADavisTheGOAT on November 13, 2017, 02:03:29 pm
Minnesota is going to be a really nice win.
North Carolina is going to be an even more impressive win.

farmhawg

Quote from: 1highhog on November 13, 2017, 02:30:50 pm
Agreed.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

rzrbackramsfan

Milwaukee had a larger margin of victory against Iowa State in Ames than Mizzou had against Iowa State in Columbia.  I will be rooting against MU all year btw.

rwspear

yes but thats not how they determine rankings.

mizzouman

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on November 13, 2017, 11:30:02 pm
Milwaukee had a larger margin of victory against Iowa State in Ames than Mizzou had against Iowa State in Columbia.  I will be rooting against MU all year btw.
Don't you want SEC teams to win so that when the Hogs beat them, it looks better?

BigK_HogHeaven

I'm not worried about us being ranked this early in the season. If we win the rankings will take care of themselves. Being ranked has been the kiss of death under Mike Anderson anyway it seems

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: rwspear on November 14, 2017, 04:14:20 am
yes but thats not how they determine rankings.

That's how they determine BPI which will go into the rankings

azhog10

Quote from: mizzouman on November 14, 2017, 08:05:20 am
Don't you want SEC teams to win so that when the Hogs beat them, it looks better?
Not Mizzou

mizzouman

ShadowHawg

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on November 13, 2017, 11:30:02 pm

Iowa St is terrible. I mean really bad. They literally look like the coach just rolls the ball out there and says, go play. Beyond undisciplined.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 13, 2017, 03:13:08 pm

Gafford is the only guy we have that could stay with Marvin and I'm afraid he would get him in foul trouble way too quickly. Bagley is an NBA player that should still be in high school lol.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 14, 2017, 09:30:53 am
Iowa St is terrible. I mean really bad. They literally look like the coach just rolls the ball out there and says, go play. Beyond undisciplined.

Guess who one of their top scorers is? Hahaha

Fan701

hawgball40

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on November 14, 2017, 09:37:24 am
Gafford is the only guy we have that could stay with Marvin and I'm afraid he would get him in foul trouble way too quickly. Bagley is an NBA player that should still be in high school lol.
Bagley looks weak and floorbound. Incredibly fluid and polished, but weak. I could see gafford sending a few of his shots into the 3rd row.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Fan701 on November 14, 2017, 09:58:50 am
Nick Babb?

Yea apparently now nick weiler babb.  Would be nice to have him beard and jones rotating though.

azhog10

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on November 14, 2017, 10:58:09 am
Yea apparently now nick weiler babb.  Would be nice to have him beard and jones rotating though.
It would be nice to have a lot of people, but who are you taking out? Cook? Harris? Can't say Garland because if Garland was playing I'd take him over Babb.

Just saying we'd love to have a lot of guys, but I really like the group we have right now. Babb was never okay with playing with the intensity CMA wanted, and he wanted major minutes. The guys we have are bought into what their roles are currently.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: azhog10 on November 14, 2017, 11:30:08 am
It would be nice to have a lot of people, but who are you taking out? Cook? Harris? Can't say Garland because if Garland was playing I'd take him over Babb.

Just saying we'd love to have a lot of guys, but I really like the group we have right now. Babb was never okay with playing with the intensity CMA wanted, and he wanted major minutes. The guys we have are bought into what their roles are currently.

Yea true.  I mean babbs nothing too special from what I saw of him in the MU Ia St game.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Next1_04 on November 13, 2017, 01:59:54 pm
1. Duke
2. Michigan State
3. Arizona
4. Kansas
5. Villanova
6. Wichita State
7. Kentucky
8. Florida
9. North Carolina
10. Southern California
11. Miami
12. Cincinnati
13. Notre Dame
14. Minnesota
15. Xavier
16. Texas AM
17. Gonzaga
18. Louisville
19. Purdue
20. Northwestern
21. Saint Mary's
22. Seton Hall
23. UCLA
24. West Virginia
25. Baylor
Kentucky is too high IMO. Judging from their first 2 games anyways.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Fan701

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on November 14, 2017, 10:58:09 am
Funny how things work out.  When Babb left one year and Whitt the next, people were wringing their hands and moaning "woe is us."  But look how things worked out.  MA quickly changed tack, decided to cover the losses in the backcourt by bringing in immediate impact JUCO's, and, wow, has it paid off.  In effect, I think Barford and Macon are what we got in exchange for Whitt and Babb.  Who wouldn't make that trade?