Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has CBB Had a Fair Shake Here?

Started by HawgWild, November 13, 2017, 12:57:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wants2Win

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 13, 2017, 05:12:09 pm
Who would be a good hire after CBB gets fired?

I'm asking cuz if we hire some "slam dunk" coach, no one knows until 5 years down the road. At the time, CBB was a good hire, no need to minimize that.
It was the same hire 5 years ago as it is today...a complete and total failure. Having a good resume doesn't mean the coach will be a good fit. Huge Fail on Jeff longs part.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: HawgWild on November 13, 2017, 12:57:06 pm
Hasn't JL pretty much accommodated whatever CBB wanted with regard to staff salaries, etc. and let him work his plan? JFB was known to meddle in the coaches under him but that's not been JL's style.

I guess what I'm saying is that CBB has had ample opportunity to build his own program here and it's not worked out. And, there's no one to blame but himself.

Yup.  In terms of performance only six coaches had more games to prove themselves than Bielema.  Four of the sox had substantially better recprds and earned their long tenure.  An argument can be made Nutt and Thomsen held their jobs so long by politics instead of performance.  Bielema has I tnink just about the right amount of time.

Hatfield 76% 6 yrs
Holtz 73.5% 7 yrs
Broyles 71% 19 yrs
Schmidt 65% 7 yrs

Nutt 61% 10 yrs

Thomsen 48% 13 yrs
Bielema 46% (assuming losses to MSU and MU)

An argument can be made Nutt and Thomsen held their jobs so long by politics instead of performance.

10thPlanet

No mistreated, we only pay him minimum wage.

MountieDawg

Not sure if he got a fair shake or not, Positive he has had a few Fries and Shakes.
SEC!

Pork Twain

Hasn't JL pretty much accommodated whatever CBB wanted with regard to staff salaries, etc. and let him work his plan? JFB was known to meddle in the coaches under him but that's not been JL's style.

I guess what I'm saying is that CBB has had ample opportunity to build his own program here and it's not worked out. And, there's no one to blame but himself.
5 years...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

East Clintwood

Quote from: Hogwild on November 13, 2017, 01:38:57 pm
We are about to have our 5th head coach since '07

And do you think that's unique to Arkansas?

Here are the SEC coaches for the 2013 season:

Pinkel - Mizz - 2001
Richt - UGA - 2001
Miles - LSU - 2005
Spurrier - SCAR - 2005
Saban - Bama - 2007
Mullen - MSU - 2009
Franklin - Vandy - 2011
Muschamp - UF - 2011
Freeze - Miss - 2012
Sumlin - A&M - 2012 (hotseat)
Bielma - Ark - 2013 (hotseat)
Jones - UT - 2013
Malzhan - Aub - 2013
Stoops - UK - 2013 (hotseat)

8 of the 14 coaches have been there 2 seaons or less and now only 4 of them remain.

Only 2 of the coaches are secure and one of them is rumored to be moving to another job.

Outside of those 2 do you see any stability at any of these schools?
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

tbhogfan

He's had a very fair shake here.  The bottom line is that in year 5 he has not produced acceptable results, and the program has clearly slid.  Houston Nutt was 22-18 in SEC play after year 5, Bobby Petrino was 17-15 in SEC play after 4 years and his last two were 12-4.  CBB is now 11-27 in SEC play with two games left.  Both of his predecessors won  SEC games at a much higher clip than CBB.

Five years is more than sufficient time to build a team that is either winning, or dramatically trending that way. 
Go Hogs!

212hawg

Quote from: Wants2Win on November 13, 2017, 05:19:17 pm
It was the same hire 5 years ago as it is today...a complete and total failure. Having a good resume doesn't mean the coach will be a good fit. Huge Fail on Jeff longs part.

Everything about his hire at the time felt like a slam dunk. We can all sit back and say it hasn't worked out now, but again that's hindsight. He was a steal when it happened. No need to go rewrite history because we're frustrated with the result.

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 13, 2017, 01:02:12 pm
He has been treated fairly. A good hire that just did not work out. It happens ALOT in sports. Guy wins one place, goes to another and does not win nearly as much.

It was never a good hire
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: 212hawg on November 14, 2017, 09:45:39 am
Everything about his hire at the time felt like a slam dunk. We can all sit back and say it hasn't worked out now, but again that's hindsight. He was a steal when it happened. No need to go rewrite history because we're frustrated with the result.

It looked like Long was trying to hire the Anti-BP

That's just dumb

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Wants2Win on November 13, 2017, 05:19:17 pm

Most coaches fail, so it's easy for stone throwers like you be "right". But it's not impressive.

The fact is, it was a good hire at the time. Did it work out? No. But hindsight is 20/20.

IronHog

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 14, 2017, 09:49:47 am
Most coaches fail, so it's easy for stone throwers like you be "right". But it's not impressive.

The fact is, it was a good hire at the time. Did it work out? No. But hindsight is 20/20.

Knew B.B. Was toast when he bragged about the Cap One bowl in his opening presser

Nutt kicked his tail all over the field but lost in typical Nutt fashion

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: IronHog on November 14, 2017, 09:52:35 am

Knew B.B. Was toast when he bragged about the Cap One bowl in his opening presser

Nutt kicked his tail all over the field but lost in typical Nutt fashion

That's just flat out revisionist history.

IronHog

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 14, 2017, 09:55:30 am
That's just flat out revisionist history.

BS

Whisky had like 6 net yards rushing

Flelix Jones had 100 at the half

It took a lot of Nutt texting Bragg to lose that beat down

hogginbama

Quote from: Sooie71923 on November 13, 2017, 01:08:22 pm
I've Been a huge CBB supporter since his hire. He did great things in the B10.

But now I can finally admit, CBB has had a fair shot at the Arkansas job. I never expected him to pull in top talent but to get us to 7-9 wins consistently was my hope.

Time to give another coach a chance and hopefully JL gets it right this time. Not sure how much longer Arkansas can stand to keep firing coaches. We must have stability.

Did years 2, 3 and 4 meet the expectations you laid out? Or did I dream we won 7, 8 & 7 during those yrs? If we did win 7-9 during those yrs, he met your expectation of consistency except this year being down & out. Will we scream for the next guy to be fired in year 5 if his teams have the same records and take a drop in yr 5?
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

hogginbama

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 14, 2017, 02:56:38 am
And do you think that's unique to Arkansas?

Here are the SEC coaches for the 2013 season:

Pinkel - Mizz - 2001
Richt - UGA - 2001
Miles - LSU - 2005
Spurrier - SCAR - 2005
Saban - Bama - 2007
Mullen - MSU - 2009
Franklin - Vandy - 2011
Muschamp - UF - 2011
Freeze - Miss - 2012
Sumlin - A&M - 2012 (hotseat)
Bielma - Ark - 2013 (hotseat)
Jones - UT - 2013
Malzhan - Aub - 2013
Stoops - UK - 2013 (hotseat)

8 of the 14 coaches have been there 2 seaons or less and now only 4 of them remain.

Only 2 of the coaches are secure and one of them is rumored to be moving to another job.

Outside of those 2 do you see any stability at any of these schools?

Surprising that stability is was is spoken when one thinks of Alabama and MSU. Now with Bama's tradition of always being on top, Saban would be gone in a heartbeat if he had two so-so yrs in a row. Mullen on the other hand, is wanted by the big boys of football based on what he has done at MSU. They stuck with him during the down yrs because they realized they were never gonna compete with the big boys unless they had a stable system in place. At some point, Arkansas has to realize that as well. Hopefully the next guy is given time to ride out a bad yr in the middle and provide some much needed stability.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Wants2Win

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 14, 2017, 09:49:47 am

It was a good hire for our opponents...I will give you that.

Wants2Win

Quote from: hogginbama on November 14, 2017, 11:52:45 am
Surprising that stability is was is spoken when one thinks of Alabama and MSU. Now with Bama's tradition of always being on top, Saban would be gone in a heartbeat if he had two so-so yrs in a row. Mullen on the other hand, is wanted by the big boys of football based on what he has done at MSU. They stuck with him during the down yrs because they realized they were never gonna compete with the big boys unless they had a stable system in place. At some point, Arkansas has to realize that as well. Hopefully the next guy is given time to ride out a bad yr in the middle and provide some much needed stability.
Bert has done wonders for mullens career.

rude1

Quote from: hogginbama on November 14, 2017, 11:52:45 am
So having a 11-27 conference record, continually setting new record lows for the program should be ignored and the  coach retained because of how wonderful stability is? Stability is good if the program is solid and trending in the right direction,  is this what you see happening?

IronHog

Quote from: Wants2Win on November 14, 2017, 11:57:41 am
Bert has done wonders for mullens career.

Exactly

aTm and Miss St and even Auburn love BB

HotlantaHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 13, 2017, 02:15:43 pm
Fla ain't bottom end of tier 1 programs. How many NC's have they won in last 25 seasons?
Florida won two championships when Urban Meyer was there, one under Steve Spurrier. I think all have been in the past 25 years though possible Spurrier was earlier.

Not sure your point -- that Florida isn't a top program or shouldn't be considered at the bottom end of top programs. It is certainly a top program.

STLhawg

I agree.  His failure is completely his fault.  I'm surprised you even asked the question!

HotlantaHog

5 years at $4 million a year.

If not enough time, he has gotten rich while producing a loser. So he can't complain.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 15, 2017, 12:59:42 pm
5 years at $4 million a year.

If not enough time, he has gotten rich while producing a loser. So he can't complain.
Top 10% pay in exchange for bottom 10% production in all of P5 college football over a half decade. Incredible. Only in sports I guess.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.