Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grant Hall

Started by claycohog, November 13, 2017, 12:42:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 14, 2017, 02:15:22 pm
You guys and your "look behind the curtain" scenarios.  Nick Saban is the only coach that would satisfy some of you.

But only when looking behind the curtain fits their agenda. Point out Memphis' lousy D and of course it is not Norvell's fault.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgon

You guys and your "look behind the curtain" scenarios.  Nick Saban is the only coach that would satisfy some of you.

It is not fricking hard to come up with someone better than a Bowden who was about to be fired or Jim Grobe.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on November 14, 2017, 12:27:41 pm
This show is had to listen to. Vernon constantly talks over Grant and they babble forever till a caller calls.

Why doesn't this surprise me?  Tusked has been pushing this show, almost like quoting a PC, and now bragging they used his responses.... makes you really wonder. 

Seems they grabbed a touchy subject claimed sources and possibly for no reason other than to gain listeners.

007 License To Squeal

Nope.....The Gus Bus would be make me happy.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Hawg Life

Razorbackers

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 14, 2017, 02:03:13 pm
How about looking behind the record?  The ACC in 2006 wasn't the ACC of the last few years.  Clemson was 8-5 that year...but they still beat Wake.  Florida State was 7-6.  The second best team in the ACC that year was Boston College, and they beat Navy by one point in the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

Grobe's team that year averaged a whopping 307 yards in total offense.  They scored a little over 21 points per game.  They won the ACC Championship Game in a 9-6 barn burner when Georgia Tech's QB went 9 of 29 with no TDs and 2 interceptions, which wasn't surprising since he was a 44% passer on the year to go with his scintillating 2.9 yards per carry average running the ball.

Grobe was not a "hot name" among anyone with a lick of sense.  Among Hog fans there was distress, bordering on mass vomiting, when we heard Long had hired him.  He would have been a disaster of possibly even greater proportions than Bielema had he taken the job.  There is a reason he is out of football and has been for years.  Interim at Baylor?  That's the best gig he could have hoped for.

Wait, you're saying college football was different that year than other years?

Weird.

He won NATIONAL coach of the year in 2006. All this stat stuff is so crazy to me. He won 11 games.

IMO it's extremely stupid for Louisville to have hired Bobby Petrino. Sure, he won 11 games at Arkansas, but if you really look at those numbers, they weren't great. First, he only finished 3rd in his division. Arkansas only beat Troy by 10, Ole Miss by 5, and Vandy by 4. And they got straight blown out by LSU and Bama that year. Huge talent difference in recruiting.

The defense ranked 9th in the conference. Defense wins championships, and Petrino teams would never have a good defense. They were also 4th in penalties.

Sure, Petrino won 11 games, but what really matters is how he won them, not THAT he won them. As you can see, Petrino was actually a terrible hire.

Any idiot could have seen the Petrino meltdown this year coming.

Rustyhog

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on November 14, 2017, 12:27:41 pm
This show is had to listen to. Vernon constantly talks over Grant and they babble forever till a caller calls.
YES, Vernon ALWAYS talks over Grant. But sometimes Grant just rambles with too many stats...  BUT YES! Vernon sometimes needs to SHUT UP!

Hogeration

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 14, 2017, 01:20:50 pm
Nutt was not fired. If they fired him they would have had to explain why. They wanted him to leave on his own. They had it set up but he went out and beat the No. 1 team in the country. He came back to Fayetteville telling all of them that he was staying. They were nervous. Diana Nutt took care of that. She said they were going to Oxford and that was that.
Which is why he looked like he was choking down puke the whole OM press conference. 

Mike, how do we know Gus' wife isn't just talking smack and the talk was 'just in case' Gus got fired?

EastexHawg

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 14, 2017, 02:45:48 pm
Wait, you're saying college football was different that year than other years?

Weird.

He won NATIONAL coach of the year in 2006. All this stat stuff is so crazy to me. He won 11 games.

IMO it's extremely stupid for Louisville to have hired Bobby Petrino. Sure, he won 11 games at Arkansas, but if you really look at those numbers, they weren't great. First, he only finished 3rd in his division. Arkansas only beat Troy by 10, Ole Miss by 5, and Vandy by 4. And they got straight blown out by LSU and Bama that year. Huge talent difference in recruiting.

The defense ranked 9th in the conference. Defense wins championships, and Petrino teams would never have a good defense. They were also 4th in penalties.

Sure, Petrino won 11 games, but what really matters is how he won them, not THAT he won them. As you can see, Petrino was actually a terrible hire.

Any idiot could have seen the Petrino meltdown this year coming.

You're not good at this, are you?

Hoggle

November 14, 2017, 03:23:15 pm #359 Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 04:39:07 pm by Hoggle
Oops

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 14, 2017, 01:20:50 pm
Nutt was not fired. If they fired him they would have had to explain why. They wanted him to leave on his own. They had it set up but he went out and beat the No. 1 team in the country. He came back to Fayetteville telling all of them that he was staying. They were nervous. Diana Nutt took care of that. She said they were going to Oxford and that was that.
You may be right, as I certainly don't know. But it seems odd to me to pay a buyout to a coach that quit on his own instead of being fired.

Ray_Finkle

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 14, 2017, 03:24:35 pm
You may be right, as I certainly don't know. But it seems odd to me to pay a buyout to a coach that quit on his own instead of being fired.

Oh snap!  Got em!

cjack

I don't think hardly anyone is fired these days.  So and so resigns or is out as head coach at ABC University.  But just like we will see the same pc line when Bielema leaves, they were fired.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Mike_e

In the real world that's called divorce.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Mike Irwin

It was money the school owed him as part of a longevity clause in his contract. They wanted him gone, quietly. They didn't want to give him a reason to butt heads with them after he left.

Mellon Collie

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 14, 2017, 03:42:41 pm
It was money the school owed him as part of a longevity clause in his contract. They wanted him gone, quietly. They didn't want to give him a reason to butt heads with them after he left.

See: Mississippi

Mike Irwin

Quote from: cjack on November 14, 2017, 03:32:22 pm
I don't think hardly anyone is fired these days.  So and so resigns or is out as head coach at ABC University.  But just like we will see the same pc line when Bielema leaves, they were fired.
The difference is they would not have fired Nutt had he decided to stay. He had just won 8 games and beat the national champions. But if he stayed Long would have fired him the next time he had a bad year which would have been the next season because D-Mac, Feliz and Peyton Hill were all going to be gone. Petrino won 5 games with that team. No telling how bad it would have been under Nutt. He wasn't stupid. Ole Miss was a better situation for him at the time.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on November 14, 2017, 02:19:13 pm
But only when looking behind the curtain fits their agenda. Point out Memphis' lousy D and of course it is not Norvell's fault.
If Memphis's defense had Arkansas's personnel I guarantee you they'd be better because at least they know how to line up in the right place before the snap. With that being said I like Auburn's defense much better ;).
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Razorbackers

Quote from: Hoggle on November 14, 2017, 03:23:15 pm
lol.  Nice try.  Hey everybody, Clemson who won the national championship last year, only beat an 8-5 Auburn team by 6, Troy by 6, Louisville (coached by "Razerbackers" worst coach ever) by 6, NC State by 7, FSU by 3, VA Tech by 7 and LOST TO FREAKIN' Pitt!!!!  Conclusion:  Dabo Swinney is a terrible coach and Clemson was actually a terrible team.  You could make garbage like this up about most any team for any season.  5-7, 8-5, 10-3 (BCS Bowl), 11-2.  Top 5 finish, top 10 finish, preseason top 10, etc.  but don't believe your lyin' eyes - "Razorbackers" just explained that it was all an illusion.  Figures don't lie "Razerbackers" but liars sure to figure!

This is probably the biggest woosh I've experienced on Hogville, which is saying something.

Razorbackers

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 14, 2017, 03:22:33 pm

Literally used your exact same logic you applied to Grobe to our most successful season this millennium.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 13, 2017, 09:45:27 pm
  You guys are hilarious. I'm not saying this Grant is. I have been given pretty much the same information but I'm not willing to confirm it as fact mainly because what is true today can sometimes not be true tomorrow. Certain people can have a plan and then the plan gets changed.

I certainly admit that in 40 plus years I've been wrong about a few things with regard to the happenings at BAC but I am not "often wrong" because I don't usually pass along what I hear as fact. Almost never, in fact. For instance on Bo's Show last week I went into detail about a plan from some Malzahn supporters to get rid of Jeff Long, put a new AD in place and hire Gus. At no point did I say it was going to happen. It's simply what they told me.

So why mention it? Because these people have money and influence and it's possible, in my mind, that they could pull it off. But never have I passed it on as fact.
Mike you're right about that. Nothing is fact until it actually happens.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 14, 2017, 03:42:41 pm
Ok , that sounds reasonable.

AFWarrior83

The Bielema experiment was a failure, but I do give Jeff Long credit for hiring Mike Anderson as the b-ball coach. I'm sure it wasn't soley his decision, but I think it's only fair to give credit for the good and the bad hires. Jeff Long also hired Bobby Petrino, which was a great hire. BP screwed that hiring up, not Jeff.

I actually think Jeff Long is a good AD, but if he's unwilling to fire Bret, then he can leave with Bret.
Hogville member since 2005.

cjack

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 14, 2017, 03:46:39 pm
The difference is they would not have fired Nutt had he decided to stay. He had just won 8 games and beat the national champions. But if he stayed Long would have fired him the next time he had a bad year which would have been the next season because D-Mac, Feliz and Peyton Hill were all going to be gone. Petrino won 5 games with that team. No telling how bad it would have been under Nutt. He wasn't stupid. Ole Miss was a better situation for him at the time.

Yes sir.  I definitely believe you are correct about Nutt.  I remember thinking we'd have to go through another Nutt year after the win over LSU.  And I didn't mean for my comment to apply in every case.  Some get out before they are "forced to resign" or "step down".  You just don't hear fired anymore on the official release.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Youngsta71701

Still no link? Waiting...

Razorbackers

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on November 14, 2017, 04:01:20 pm
Jeff Long also hired Bobby Petrino, which was a great hire. BP screwed that hiring up, not Jeff.

I actually think Jeff Long is a good AD, but if he's unwilling to fire Bret, then he can leave with Bret.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 14, 2017, 03:50:53 pm
Literally used your exact same logic you applied to Grobe to our most successful season this millennium.

No, I didn't.  Petrino's 2010 team beat a top five LSU team to get to the Sugar Bowl.  His 2011 team slaughtered an 11-2, top ten South Carolina team and a ten win, I believe #8 Kansas State team in the Cotton Bowl.  There were other wins as well...Mississippi State in 2010, South Carolina in 2010, for instance...that were against better teams than anyone on Grobe's schedule.  His only losses in those two years were to the defending national champion (Alabama), a 12-1 top five Ohio State team (Sugar Bowl), the 2010 national champ (Auburn), and the two teams that played in the 2011 BCS national championship game.

His seasons were nothing like Grobe's.  Nothing at all.

Tusks

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 14, 2017, 02:03:13 pm
How about looking behind the record?  The ACC in 2006 wasn't the ACC of the last few years.  Clemson was 8-5 that year...but they still beat Wake.  Florida State was 7-6.  The second best team in the ACC that year was Boston College, and they beat Navy by one point in the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

Grobe's team that year averaged a whopping 307 yards in total offense.  They scored a little over 21 points per game.  They won the ACC Championship Game in a 9-6 barn burner when Georgia Tech's QB went 9 of 29 with no TDs and 2 interceptions, which wasn't surprising since he was a 44% passer on the year to go with his scintillating 2.9 yards per carry average running the ball.

Grobe was not a "hot name" among anyone with a lick of sense.  Among Hog fans there was distress, bordering on mass vomiting, when we heard Long had hired him.  He would have been a disaster of possibly even greater proportions than Bielema had he taken the job.  There is a reason he is out of football and has been for years.  Interim at Baylor?  That's the best gig he could have hoped for.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Razorbackers

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 14, 2017, 04:09:23 pm
No, I didn't.  Petrino's 2010 team beat a top five LSU team to get to the Sugar Bowl.  His 2011 team slaughtered an 11-2, top ten South Carolina team and a ten win, I believe #8 Kansas State team in the Cotton Bowl.  There were other wins as well...Mississippi State in 2010, South Carolina in 2010, for instance...that were against better teams than anyone on Grobe's schedule.  His only losses in those two years were to the defending national champion (Alabama), a 12-1 top five Ohio State team (Sugar Bowl), the 2010 national champ (Auburn), and the two teams that played in the 2011 BCS national championship game.

His seasons were nothing like Grobe's.  Nothing at all.

The point wasn't that BP didn't win games, the point was your discarding of the AP National Coach of the Year's 11 win season at Wake Forest because he won close games is silly.

Tusks

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 14, 2017, 02:20:31 pm
Why doesn't this surprise me?  Tusked has been pushing this show, almost like quoting a PC, and now bragging they used his responses.... makes you really wonder. 

Seems they grabbed a touchy subject claimed sources and possibly for no reason other than to gain listeners.

I confess, I am GRANT HALL.  hahahahahahahahahaha
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Mike Irwin

Quote from: tusked on November 14, 2017, 04:18:13 pm
I confess, I am GRANT HALL.  hahahahahahahahahaha
He actually read part of his thread last night. He'd never read a message board before. He was laughing at the shots some of ya'll were taking at him. He kept his sense of humor. He did admit to having the attention span of a gnat.

LRHog

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 13, 2017, 07:36:27 pm
Gus loves the guy standing behind the helmet a lot more than the helmet.

Gus loves winning a lot more than the guy standing behind the helmet.

grayhawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 14, 2017, 04:22:31 pm
He actually read part of his thread last night. He'd never read a message board before. He was laughing at the shots some of ya'll were taking at him. He kept his sense of humor. He did admit to having the attention span of a gnat.
Sometimes that's necessary.

The NewEra

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 14, 2017, 04:22:31 pm

I listened to his show for the first time today.  I loved the self defacing humor Grant displayed. 

LAGNAF

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 14, 2017, 03:22:33 pm

Actually I think he's top notch.

HoginIllinois

Quote from: phadedhawg on November 14, 2017, 12:38:40 pm
I think a lot of grown men are getting excited telling each other fairy tales about what they hope comes true.  Hope is a seductive mistress...it all makes perfect sense when it's what you want to hear. 

Logic suggests Bielema will be replaced but even that hasn't been confirmed.  Of course you might as well spend your day predicting and wishcasting because something has to fill the time while waiting for the inevitable

Exactly.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: The NewEra on November 14, 2017, 04:43:13 pm
I listened to his show for the first time today.  I loved the self defacing humor Grant displayed.
LMAO. I'm not making fun of you but I love the "self defacing"

elksnort

Can we have a tail number tracking thread?

Those are so fun.

ricepig

Quote from: elksnort on November 14, 2017, 05:02:57 pm
Can we have a tail number tracking thread?

Those are so fun.

Bobby coming back??

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 14, 2017, 05:00:10 pm
LMAO. I'm not making fun of you but I love the "self defacing"

Better than self defecating I suppose...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

jgphillips3

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 14, 2017, 05:07:46 pm
Better than self defecating I suppose...

Oh lord...where do you find assisted defecating?

elksnort

Quote from: ricepig on November 14, 2017, 05:03:40 pm
Bobby coming back??
A net jet from Pullman, Washington landing at Drake might be interesting.

ricepig

Quote from: elksnort on November 14, 2017, 05:16:47 pm

I thought you wanted a tracker on the "tail", sorry......

hawgon

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 14, 2017, 05:12:43 pm

Over on a place where the last part of the web address is hub.com.  They have a whole subcategory devoted to it.

swineology

Quote from: elksnort on November 14, 2017, 05:16:47 pm

;D

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hollywood870

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 14, 2017, 02:32:06 pm
You won't be happy.
This guy is quick on the trigger if anyone mentions Gus. Are y'all worried that he may be in play?

Seebs

Shouldn't Hall be in class? His dunk was impressive but why is  he talking about football?
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

elksnort

Quote from: ricepig on November 14, 2017, 05:17:43 pm
I thought you wanted a tracker on the "tail", sorry......
Yes, I am not communicating very well.

You remember all those tracking threads? Man, those were better than an Agitha Christie novel.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 14, 2017, 05:12:43 pm

Lol, when my dad was in hospice care, one of his last stunts was to lay waste to his poor nurse!!  He got a good laugh out of that!! 

Man, I miss my dad, especially on game days.  He'd call me every bad play in disgust and hang up.  Every time Hogs would turn the ball over my phone would ring!

And you could forget trying to call him during Hogs basketball games...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?