Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grant Hall

Started by claycohog, November 13, 2017, 12:42:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jmark

Quote from: tusked on November 13, 2017, 12:56:29 pm
For those that can't listen.  JL and BB is out.  Fans don't be anxious, powers ARE absolutely making changes.

Grant pretty emphatic Gus is a real possibility.

best news i've heard since the time when if hooten lost to alabama, he'd be replaced by butch davis. 
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

Mike Irwin

Quote from: younghog on November 13, 2017, 01:02:03 pm
YAWN
YAWN to you. Grant has covered Razorback football continuously since 1969. Nobody alive has been at it longer. He's lived in Fayetteville since 1953 and his dad was a pastor at the FBC of Fayetteville which, in those days, was the church that most of the coaches (pre Broyles) and a lot of the athletes attended.

He's got some really good sources for what he's saying. I've heard most of it myself from other people. I'm more cautious than he is so I'm not saying flat out that this is going to happen but I'm about 95% sure.

Simple Swineman

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 13, 2017, 05:35:20 pm
YAWN to you. Grant has covered Razorback football continuously since 1969. Nobody alive has been at it longer. He's lived in Fayetteville since 1953 and his dad was a pastor at the FBC of Fayetteville which, in those days, was the church that most of the coaches (pre Broyles) and a lot of the athletes attended.

He's got some really good sources for what he's saying. I've heard most of it myself from other people. I'm more cautious than he is so I'm not saying flat out that this is going to happen but I'm about 95% sure.

BOOM!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 13, 2017, 05:25:22 pm
Grant just repeated what the base "rumor" has been since last Thursday afternoon.  He's just the first person from mainstream to say it straight out.

Now, you can believe it or not. ;)
You are wrong. He is not reporting rumors. He's got some good sources.

Porked Tongue

Grant has the history and the freedom to speak it out w/o any professional damage.

He's a good dude too.

cjack

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 13, 2017, 05:36:40 pm

Now that is a good post and makes me happy.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Porked Tongue

That wasn't a slam at him.  But until all dominoes fall is not actual.

I KNOW he's got good sources. Mentioned it on the prior post.  But things are not done until they are done and we all know that.

I heard EXACTLY what he heard and then some.  I'll believe it all when and only when it happens.

In fact it would not surprise me to know we heard from the same people. :)

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 13, 2017, 05:18:17 pm
Can you expand?  Specifically on this annuity thing you've mentioned, and now loans?  I know what an annuity is, but can seem to figure out where an annuity on top of their pay is for?

Harbaugh is the first I've seen play the life insurance game

Some contracts have if you coach/stay  so long the school puts X amount into an annunity. The RF paid Frank Broyles over $3.5m in 2014-2015, I'm guessing as an annuity, although it was listed as for "speaking engagements" . In 2012-2013, the RF loaned Jeff Long $400,000 for Life Insurance In 2013-2014, it shows $650,000 in loans to Long for Life Insurance. All of this is available off of the 990 reports the RF files to the IRS.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 13, 2017, 05:38:54 pm
That wasn't a slam at him.  But until that all dominoes is not actual.

I KNOW he's got good sources. Mentioned it on the prior post.  But things are not done until they are done and we all know that.

I heard EXACTLY what he heard and then some.  I'll believe it all when and only when it happens.

There's just no way Long wants to be here if he's been told he isn't to have a say in the football coaching hire. If that is in fact true, it's really easy to see that he won't be back

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 13, 2017, 05:36:50 pm
Grant has the history and the freedom to speak it out w/o any professional damage.

He's a good dude too.
You are correct. Grant is semi retired. The rest of us in the media have to be more careful. But it's hard to imagine this thing turning in another direction.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on November 13, 2017, 05:42:24 pm
There's just no way Long wants to be here if he's been told he isn't to have a say in the football coaching hire. If that is in fact true, it's really easy to see that he won't be back
That is an opinion on your part.

Did you read that I said Grant was wrong? 

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Pork Ranger

Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 13, 2017, 05:43:41 pm
That is an opinion on your part.

Did you read that I said Grant was wrong?

Of course it is.

And I'm just saying that in response to people reluctant to believe Long will be out very soon. I think it appeared pretty clear when he had to wait outside the meeting for 3 hrs...

Once again, it's my opinion. But I'd be very surprised to see him here much longer

Porked Tongue

Don't take too much about the "waiting 3 hours" part.  There was lots of other business going on that had nothing to do with it.

Not saying what you think will happen is wrong.  Just the 3 hour deal is not relevant.

The NewEra

That wasn't a slam at him.  But until that all dominoes is not actual.

By the time your convinced, the whole state will know and the ink will be dry.  That's the smart approach because things do change in times like this.  That credible media people are saying this and it's being verified by more than one reliable source as to what they are hearing is certainly exciting for those longing for change in the program.  It's exciting to me for sure.  I'll have to sit back now and wait for the ink to dry along with you.

jgcat4

Quote from: rhames on November 13, 2017, 02:38:12 pm
This whole gus thing is starting to feel like the Gruden thing.

Dear little baby Jesus I hope so
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

hog_fan

If Auburn goes to playoffs, we have to wait until January. Very risky to do that.

007 License To Squeal

Can we really win the Trifecta?
1.  Bret fired!
2.  Jeff let go!
3.  The Gus Bus comes to NWA!!!

WPS!!!!
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Hook 'em Hogs

So . . .  this just happened . . .

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 13, 2017, 02:44:52 pm
Oh no, a Irwin man love dude!  Sorry but the Arkansas sports media as a whole is inept, inadequate and basically regurgitate coach speak, including Irwin!  My only agenda is WINNING Hog FB!  I don't care who the coach is, who the AD is, just win more than 6 games a year and don't lose by 30 to the big 3 in the West!  MI is a lapdog just like the rest of the FB media! 

Are you in media?

What do you know about It? Have you a quantifiable assortment of examples across the SEC or nation to make this assertion? Or are you just wanting to hang with the cool kids and slam sports media in Arkansas?

ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

ricepig

Quote from: farmhawg on November 13, 2017, 05:32:25 pm
I think you just like to argue.

No, I like a little facts with my show.

hog_fan

Quote from: ricepig on November 13, 2017, 01:18:23 pm
Bret said today in his PC that Long hasn't spoken to him or his representation about his future at Arkansas.

You really think he doesn't know? Lose to state and the leaks will really start.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 13, 2017, 05:48:35 pm
Don't take too much about the "waiting 3 hours" part.  There was lots of other business going on that had nothing to do with it.

Not saying what you think will happen is wrong.  Just the 3 hour deal is not relevant.

Well the 3 hours not being relevant is just your opinion, man.  Do you seriously not think any of them discussed the future of BB and JL?

The NewEra

Mike, have you heard anything additional about the Gus movement since you mentioned it last week on Bo's show.  If so, can you share whether you think it's more or less likely than you did last week?

Porked Tongue

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on November 13, 2017, 05:53:28 pm
Well the 3 hours not being relevant is just your opinion, man.  Do you seriously not think any of them discussed the future of BB and JL?
Good gracious.

I'm saying that those 3 hours were mostly about other things.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on November 13, 2017, 05:13:39 pm

Good post.

You can question a lot of things...but Mike and Grant's integrity is not one of them.  You can...you'll just look stupid.

Could not agree more.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

ricepig

Yeah, nothing is a sure thing until they put on the bag and Call the Hogs, even then.....

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 13, 2017, 01:56:15 pm
I'm not a Grant Hall expert but I have been listening to him for about 10 years or so.  For those that don't know him I'd say on the sunshine scale he leans Rick Schaeffer but I think that's just because he's a fairly positive guy and nice person.  He's not a sunshine pumper rainbow farter.  He's more realistic than Rick.

Grant would not say stuff just to say it.  If he said something like this he either really believes it or heard it from a reliable source.  I usually listen to his show but did not today so I don't know what was actually said on his show. 

I don't think JL leaving would hamper the search because the incoming coach is going to get assurances from the chancellor and PTB that he will have X years and all the resources available to win.

Where is he now?  I noticed awhile back that the 1190 The Fan AM station didn't have he and Vernon Tarver on any longer, but I thought it was because they were moving studios and they were taking a little break.  Is he on a different station now? 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Porked Tongue

I think we all need to realize there are media members who must tread lightly.

ricepig

Quote from: hog_fan on November 13, 2017, 05:52:30 pm
You really think he doesn't know? Lose to state and the leaks will really start.

Know?? Are you saying he's been told by the university that he is being fired? I don't think they've done that yet, do you?

online-with-swine

Quote from: hog_fan on November 13, 2017, 05:50:07 pm
If Auburn goes to playoffs, we have to wait until January. Very risky to do that.

This is a concern with me.  Will this turn into a "timing" thing and we get someone else?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on November 13, 2017, 04:39:34 pm
You don't know Ronnie very well.....

Haha! Maybe he's softened up.................OK I can't believe I just typed that. You know who Ronnie is and knew exactly who I was posting about!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

grayhawg

Quote from: hog_fan on November 13, 2017, 05:50:07 pm
If the Auburn team I watched destroy Georgia shows up to play Bama Auburn will win that one. Then play Georgia for the SEC championship it's hard to beat a good team twice in the same season.
The SEC championship game is going to be a good one. No it doesn't look good from here for Gus to be the next Arkansas coach if he beats Saban

EastexHawg

Quote from: tusked on November 13, 2017, 01:24:03 pm
GH said Stienz missed the basketball games working on the plan.  Said Stienz assured the BOT he'd get it done.

Why would there have to be a carefully crafted plan.  He's firing an employee, not invading the Normandy coast.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 13, 2017, 06:03:35 pm
Maybe he's softened up.................OK I can't believe I just typed that. You know who Ronnie is and knew exactly who I was posting about!

Maybe set up yet another location, like RRS and pass the plate.....probably the club seating in the NEZ, it would be just like the balcony.....

online-with-swine

I would be interested in the "and then some" part

oldhawg

Provided that Long moves on by the end of the school year (or sooner), any speculation about a replacement?  For many years I thought it would be Terry Don Phillips, but Frank Broyles outlived Phillip's viability as Arkansas's athletic director. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on November 13, 2017, 06:05:46 pm
Maybe set up yet another location, like RRS and pass the plate.....probably the club seating in the NEZ, it would be just like the balcony.....

HAHAHA! I just spit my drink on my monitor!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Lady Razorback

Quote from: oldhawg on November 13, 2017, 06:09:45 pm
Provided that Long moves on by the end of the school year (or sooner), any speculation about a replacement?  For many years I thought it would be Terry Don Phillips, but Frank Broyles outlived Phillip's viability as Arkansas's athletic director.

I would like to see Sean Rochelle get a shot at AD.   

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rhames on November 13, 2017, 01:20:04 pm

The timeline for this happening and replacing them with quality hires is close to impossible.

I think a lot of people are hearing what Irwin said on Bo last week.

In the end most likely BB is gone and Jeff is still here.

If Long isn't going to be allowed to run this HC'ing hire and someone is already being talked to, hiring the HC won't be an issue. They just say Jeff, here is the contract, get it signed. Long doesn't depart until January, that doesn't effect the HC'ing hire, allows him to stay on the National Play Off Committee through the NC Game and he gets to leave (publicly) with his integrity intact and by his own choice. Under that scenario, there isn't anything going on in January that you need a AD to get done, so there is time to hire a new one.

Those are a lot of "if's" and I don't know if that is how it will go down or not, but I could see that happening.
Go Hogs Go!

oldhawg

Quote from: Lady Razorback on November 13, 2017, 06:18:03 pm

What has he been doing since he stepped down as Executive Director of the Razorback Foundation a couple years ago? 

ricepig

Quote from: Lady Razorback on November 13, 2017, 06:18:03 pm

He's had some fund raising and administration experience for sure, but a $115m budget is big!

onebadrubi

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 13, 2017, 06:19:32 pm
If Long isn't going to be allowed to run this HC'ing hire and someone is already being talked to, hiring the HC won't be an issue. They just say Jeff, here is the contract, get it signed. Long doesn't depart until January, that doesn't effect the HC'ing hire, allows him to stay on the National Play Off Committee through the NC Game and he gets to leave (publicly) with his integrity intact and by his own choice. Under that scenario, there isn't anything going on in January that you need a AD to get done, so there is time to hire a new one.

Those are a lot of "if's" and I don't know if that is how it will go down or not, but I could see that happening.

Long hasn't been on that committee for years

WilsonHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 13, 2017, 06:24:40 pm
Long hasn't been on that committee for years

He is still on the committee; he's just not chairing it.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ricepig on November 13, 2017, 05:16:47 pm
Well, a % of that was to the way it was presented in here, such as coming from Bobbitt, the buyout #, and of course, the lack of facts backing any of it up. First it was "for sure", and it ended with "I believe it will happen". That's if those who listened repeated it correctly.

that indeed was the hard part - I can't take notes while driving

Porked Tongue

One of the other parts of the dominoes is in fact Terry Don.

The main theme is an "All Arkansas" approach.  Including

AD
HC
Players as much as feasible.

Other than the specifics of the exact reasons for both changes, how it ends and the timing you now have the whole enchilada.

ricepig

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 13, 2017, 06:30:10 pm
that indeed was the hard part - I can't take notes while driving

You're excused then, lol. I don't listen to any sports radio, they might take phone calls and those would cause me to drive into an overpass on purpose.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: oldhawg on November 13, 2017, 06:20:49 pm
What has he been doing since he stepped down as Executive Director of the Razorback Foundation a couple years ago?
When he left the Foundation he went to Vold Vision.  He is still in the NWA area. 

195bc

Grant Hall gave me a job a couple decades ago, and that job has resulted in a great, fulfilling career. I'll always be indebted to him. In my experience with him many moons ago, he was always professional and respectful. He knows a lot of people associated with Razorback athletics, so I doubt he would say something unless he had very good reason to believe it's true.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 13, 2017, 06:31:33 pm
One of the other parts of the dominoes is in fact Terry Don.

The main theme is an "All Arkansas" approach.  Including

AD
HC
Players as much as feasible.

Other than the specifics of the exact reasons for both changes, how it ends and the timing you now have the whole enchilada.

And that - bringing in a retired AD who is a former Razorback - is one way to avoid the whole, "it's gonna take us six weeks to hire an AD," problem.