• 385,533 Topics
• 21,600 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Grant Hall  (Read 17714 times)

Tweeter

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Grant Hall
« Reply #350 on: November 14, 2017, 02:06:50 pm »

If he is really gone.(and i hope he is)all i can say  is THANK GOD.his decision making destroyed Arkansas Football.

I agree 100% with you Forest City Joe.....The guy seems like a sleazy banker.

Grizzlyfan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #351 on: November 14, 2017, 02:15:22 pm »

How about looking behind the record?  The ACC in 2006 wasn't the ACC of the last few years.  Clemson was 8-5 that year...but they still beat Wake.  Florida State was 7-6.  The second best team in the ACC that year was Boston College, and they beat Navy by one point in the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

Grobe's team that year averaged a whopping 307 yards in total offense.  They scored a little over 21 points per game.  They won the ACC Championship Game in a 9-6 barn burner when Georgia Tech's QB went 9 of 29 with no TDs and 2 interceptions, which wasn't surprising since he was a 44% passer on the year to go with his scintillating 2.9 yards per carry average running the ball.

Grobe was not a "hot name" among anyone with a lick of sense.  Among Hog fans there was distress, bordering on mass vomiting, when we heard Long had hired him.  He would have been a disaster of possibly even greater proportions than Bielema had he taken the job.  There is a reason he is out of football and has been for years.  Interim at Baylor?  That's the best gig he could have hoped for.
You guys and your "look behind the curtain" scenarios.  Nick Saban is the only coach that would satisfy some of you.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Official Jeff Long Darksider!
« Reply #352 on: November 14, 2017, 02:17:15 pm »

You guys and your "look behind the curtain" scenarios.  Nick Saban is the only coach that would satisfy some of you.

Naw, I'd be perfectly happy if Venables or Norvell becomes the next football head Hog.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 03:00:37 pm by GuvHog »

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is there a problem here?
« Reply #353 on: November 14, 2017, 02:19:13 pm »

But only when looking behind the curtain fits their agenda. Point out Memphis' lousy D and of course it is not Norvell's fault.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #354 on: November 14, 2017, 02:20:02 pm »

It is not fricking hard to come up with someone better than a Bowden who was about to be fired or Jim Grobe.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #355 on: November 14, 2017, 02:20:31 pm »

This show is had to listen to. Vernon constantly talks over Grant and they babble forever till a caller calls.

Why doesn't this surprise me?  Tusked has been pushing this show, almost like quoting a PC, and now bragging they used his responses.... makes you really wonder. 

Seems they grabbed a touchy subject claimed sources and possibly for no reason other than to gain listeners.

007 License To Squeal

• Fmr USAF Combat Crew Titan II Launch Crew Member
« Reply #356 on: November 14, 2017, 02:23:19 pm »

Nope.....The Gus Bus would be make me happy.

Hawg Life

• Hogvillian
« Reply #357 on: November 14, 2017, 02:32:06 pm »

Nope.....The Gus Bus would be make me happy.

You won’t be happy.

Razorbackers

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #358 on: November 14, 2017, 02:45:48 pm »

How about looking behind the record?  The ACC in 2006 wasn't the ACC of the last few years.  Clemson was 8-5 that year...but they still beat Wake.  Florida State was 7-6.  The second best team in the ACC that year was Boston College, and they beat Navy by one point in the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

Grobe's team that year averaged a whopping 307 yards in total offense.  They scored a little over 21 points per game.  They won the ACC Championship Game in a 9-6 barn burner when Georgia Tech's QB went 9 of 29 with no TDs and 2 interceptions, which wasn't surprising since he was a 44% passer on the year to go with his scintillating 2.9 yards per carry average running the ball.

Grobe was not a "hot name" among anyone with a lick of sense.  Among Hog fans there was distress, bordering on mass vomiting, when we heard Long had hired him.  He would have been a disaster of possibly even greater proportions than Bielema had he taken the job.  There is a reason he is out of football and has been for years.  Interim at Baylor?  That's the best gig he could have hoped for.

Wait, you're saying college football was different that year than other years?

Weird.

He won NATIONAL coach of the year in 2006. All this stat stuff is so crazy to me. He won 11 games.

IMO it's extremely stupid for Louisville to have hired Bobby Petrino. Sure, he won 11 games at Arkansas, but if you really look at those numbers, they weren't great. First, he only finished 3rd in his division. Arkansas only beat Troy by 10, Ole Miss by 5, and Vandy by 4. And they got straight blown out by LSU and Bama that year. Huge talent difference in recruiting.

The defense ranked 9th in the conference. Defense wins championships, and Petrino teams would never have a good defense. They were also 4th in penalties.

Sure, Petrino won 11 games, but what really matters is how he won them, not THAT he won them. As you can see, Petrino was actually a terrible hire.

Any idiot could have seen the Petrino meltdown this year coming.

Rustyhog

• Band Nerd
« Reply #359 on: November 14, 2017, 03:14:13 pm »

This show is had to listen to. Vernon constantly talks over Grant and they babble forever till a caller calls.
YES, Vernon ALWAYS talks over Grant. But sometimes Grant just rambles with too many stats...  BUT YES! Vernon sometimes needs to SHUT UP!

Hogeration

• I like you, but you're crazy man.
« Reply #360 on: November 14, 2017, 03:20:37 pm »

Nutt was not fired. If they fired him they would have had to explain why. They wanted him to leave on his own. They had it set up but he went out and beat the No. 1 team in the country. He came back to Fayetteville telling all of them that he was staying. They were nervous. Diana Nutt took care of that. She said they were going to Oxford and that was that.
Which is why he looked like he was choking down puke the whole OM press conference. 

Mike, how do we know Gus' wife isn't just talking smack and the talk was 'just in case' Gus got fired?

EastexHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #361 on: November 14, 2017, 03:22:33 pm »

Wait, you're saying college football was different that year than other years?

Weird.

He won NATIONAL coach of the year in 2006. All this stat stuff is so crazy to me. He won 11 games.

IMO it's extremely stupid for Louisville to have hired Bobby Petrino. Sure, he won 11 games at Arkansas, but if you really look at those numbers, they weren't great. First, he only finished 3rd in his division. Arkansas only beat Troy by 10, Ole Miss by 5, and Vandy by 4. And they got straight blown out by LSU and Bama that year. Huge talent difference in recruiting.

The defense ranked 9th in the conference. Defense wins championships, and Petrino teams would never have a good defense. They were also 4th in penalties.

Sure, Petrino won 11 games, but what really matters is how he won them, not THAT he won them. As you can see, Petrino was actually a terrible hire.

Any idiot could have seen the Petrino meltdown this year coming.

You're not good at this, are you?

Hoggle

• Senior
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #362 on: November 14, 2017, 03:23:15 pm »

Oops
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 04:39:07 pm by Hoggle »

The Hawg Marshal

• " National Champs 1909,1964 and 1977. "
« Reply #363 on: November 14, 2017, 03:24:35 pm »

Nutt was not fired. If they fired him they would have had to explain why. They wanted him to leave on his own. They had it set up but he went out and beat the No. 1 team in the country. He came back to Fayetteville telling all of them that he was staying. They were nervous. Diana Nutt took care of that. She said they were going to Oxford and that was that.
You may be right, as I certainly don't know. But it seems odd to me to pay a buyout to a coach that quit on his own instead of being fired.

Ray_Finkle

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #364 on: November 14, 2017, 03:28:33 pm »

You may be right, as I certainly don't know. But it seems odd to me to pay a buyout to a coach that quit on his own instead of being fired.

Oh snap!  Got em!

cjack

• Varsity
  • A dedicated fan base that few programs have
« Reply #365 on: November 14, 2017, 03:32:22 pm »

I don't think hardly anyone is fired these days.  So and so resigns or is out as head coach at ABC University.  But just like we will see the same pc line when Bielema leaves, they were fired.

Mike_e

• May the woo be with you
« Reply #366 on: November 14, 2017, 03:38:08 pm »

In the real world that's called divorce.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #367 on: November 14, 2017, 03:42:41 pm »

It was money the school owed him as part of a longevity clause in his contract. They wanted him gone, quietly. They didn't want to give him a reason to butt heads with them after he left.

Mellon Collie

• Bench Warmer
  • Well, that makes us practically related.
« Reply #368 on: November 14, 2017, 03:44:27 pm »

It was money the school owed him as part of a longevity clause in his contract. They wanted him gone, quietly. They didn't want to give him a reason to butt heads with them after he left.

See: Mississippi

Mike Irwin

« Reply #369 on: November 14, 2017, 03:46:39 pm »

I don't think hardly anyone is fired these days.  So and so resigns or is out as head coach at ABC University.  But just like we will see the same pc line when Bielema leaves, they were fired.
The difference is they would not have fired Nutt had he decided to stay. He had just won 8 games and beat the national champions. But if he stayed Long would have fired him the next time he had a bad year which would have been the next season because D-Mac, Feliz and Peyton Hill were all going to be gone. Petrino won 5 games with that team. No telling how bad it would have been under Nutt. He wasn't stupid. Ole Miss was a better situation for him at the time.

Youngsta71701

• There's a God somewhere.
« Reply #370 on: November 14, 2017, 03:48:19 pm »

But only when looking behind the curtain fits their agenda. Point out Memphis' lousy D and of course it is not Norvell's fault.
If Memphis's defense had Arkansas's personnel I guarantee you they'd be better because at least they know how to line up in the right place before the snap. With that being said I like Auburn's defense much better ;).

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #371 on: November 14, 2017, 03:49:54 pm »

lol.  Nice try.  Hey everybody, Clemson who won the national championship last year, only beat an 8-5 Auburn team by 6, Troy by 6, Louisville (coached by "Razerbackers" worst coach ever) by 6, NC State by 7, FSU by 3, VA Tech by 7 and LOST TO FREAKIN' Pitt!!!!  Conclusion:  Dabo Swinney is a terrible coach and Clemson was actually a terrible team.  You could make garbage like this up about most any team for any season.  5-7, 8-5, 10-3 (BCS Bowl), 11-2.  Top 5 finish, top 10 finish, preseason top 10, etc.  but don't believe your lyin' eyes - "Razorbackers" just explained that it was all an illusion.  Figures don't lie "Razerbackers" but liars sure to figure!

This is probably the biggest woosh I've experienced on Hogville, which is saying something.

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #372 on: November 14, 2017, 03:50:53 pm »

Literally used your exact same logic you applied to Grobe to our most successful season this millennium.

Youngsta71701

« Reply #373 on: November 14, 2017, 03:52:39 pm »

You guys are hilarious. I'm not saying this Grant is. I have been given pretty much the same information but I'm not willing to confirm it as fact mainly because what is true today can sometimes not be true tomorrow. Certain people can have a plan and then the plan gets changed.

I certainly admit that in 40 plus years I've been wrong about a few things with regard to the happenings at BAC but I am not "often wrong" because I don't usually pass along what I hear as fact. Almost never, in fact. For instance on Bo's Show last week I went into detail about a plan from some Malzahn supporters to get rid of Jeff Long, put a new AD in place and hire Gus. At no point did I say it was going to happen. It's simply what they told me.

So why mention it? Because these people have money and influence and it's possible, in my mind, that they could pull it off. But never have I passed it on as fact.
Mike you're right about that. Nothing is fact until it actually happens.

The Hawg Marshal

• " National Champs 1909,1964 and 1977. "
« Reply #374 on: November 14, 2017, 03:58:25 pm »

Ok , that sounds reasonable.

AFWarrior83

« Reply #375 on: November 14, 2017, 04:01:20 pm »

The Bielema experiment was a failure, but I do give Jeff Long credit for hiring Mike Anderson as the b-ball coach. I’m sure it wasn’t soley his decision, but I think it’s only fair to give credit for the good and the bad hires. Jeff Long also hired Bobby Petrino, which was a great hire. BP screwed that hiring up, not Jeff.

I actually think Jeff Long is a good AD, but if he’s unwilling to fire Bret, then he can leave with Bret.

cjack

• Varsity
  • A dedicated fan base that few programs have
« Reply #376 on: November 14, 2017, 04:03:41 pm »

The difference is they would not have fired Nutt had he decided to stay. He had just won 8 games and beat the national champions. But if he stayed Long would have fired him the next time he had a bad year which would have been the next season because D-Mac, Feliz and Peyton Hill were all going to be gone. Petrino won 5 games with that team. No telling how bad it would have been under Nutt. He wasn't stupid. Ole Miss was a better situation for him at the time.

Yes sir.  I definitely believe you are correct about Nutt.  I remember thinking we'd have to go through another Nutt year after the win over LSU.  And I didn't mean for my comment to apply in every case.  Some get out before they are "forced to resign" or "step down".  You just don't hear fired anymore on the official release.

Youngsta71701

« Reply #377 on: November 14, 2017, 04:04:24 pm »

Still no link? Waiting...

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #378 on: November 14, 2017, 04:04:56 pm »

Jeff Long also hired Bobby Petrino, which was a great hire. BP screwed that hiring up, not Jeff.

I actually think Jeff Long is a good AD, but if he’s unwilling to fire Bret, then he can leave with Bret.

EastexHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #379 on: November 14, 2017, 04:09:23 pm »

Literally used your exact same logic you applied to Grobe to our most successful season this millennium.

No, I didn't.  Petrino's 2010 team beat a top five LSU team to get to the Sugar Bowl.  His 2011 team slaughtered an 11-2, top ten South Carolina team and a ten win, I believe #8 Kansas State team in the Cotton Bowl.  There were other wins as well...Mississippi State in 2010, South Carolina in 2010, for instance...that were against better teams than anyone on Grobe's schedule.  His only losses in those two years were to the defending national champion (Alabama), a 12-1 top five Ohio State team (Sugar Bowl), the 2010 national champ (Auburn), and the two teams that played in the 2011 BCS national championship game.

His seasons were nothing like Grobe's.  Nothing at all.

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #380 on: November 14, 2017, 04:15:32 pm »

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #381 on: November 14, 2017, 04:17:04 pm »

No, I didn't.  Petrino's 2010 team beat a top five LSU team to get to the Sugar Bowl.  His 2011 team slaughtered an 11-2, top ten South Carolina team and a ten win, I believe #8 Kansas State team in the Cotton Bowl.  There were other wins as well...Mississippi State in 2010, South Carolina in 2010, for instance...that were against better teams than anyone on Grobe's schedule.  His only losses in those two years were to the defending national champion (Alabama), a 12-1 top five Ohio State team (Sugar Bowl), the 2010 national champ (Auburn), and the two teams that played in the 2011 BCS national championship game.

His seasons were nothing like Grobe's.  Nothing at all.

The point wasn't that BP didn't win games, the point was your discarding of the AP National Coach of the Year's 11 win season at Wake Forest because he won close games is silly.

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #382 on: November 14, 2017, 04:18:13 pm »

Why doesn't this surprise me?  Tusked has been pushing this show, almost like quoting a PC, and now bragging they used his responses.... makes you really wonder. 

Seems they grabbed a touchy subject claimed sources and possibly for no reason other than to gain listeners.

I confess, I am GRANT HALL.  hahahahahahahahahaha

Mike Irwin

« Reply #383 on: November 14, 2017, 04:22:31 pm »

I confess, I am GRANT HALL.  hahahahahahahahahaha
He actually read part of his thread last night. He'd never read a message board before. He was laughing at the shots some of ya'll were taking at him. He kept his sense of humor. He did admit to having the attention span of a gnat.

LRHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #384 on: November 14, 2017, 04:23:38 pm »

Gus loves the guy standing behind the helmet a lot more than the helmet.

Gus loves winning a lot more than the guy standing behind the helmet.

grayhawg

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #385 on: November 14, 2017, 04:24:09 pm »

He actually read part of his thread last night. He'd never read a message board before. He was laughing at the shots some of ya'll were taking at him. He kept his sense of humor. He did admit to having the attention span of a gnat.
Sometimes that's necessary.

The NewEra

• New Era
« Reply #386 on: November 14, 2017, 04:43:13 pm »

I listened to his show for the first time today.  I loved the self defacing humor Grant displayed. 

LAGNAF

• Varsity
« Reply #387 on: November 14, 2017, 04:57:08 pm »

Actually I think he's top notch.

HoginIllinois

• Hogvillian
  • Turbo Buffalo!
« Reply #388 on: November 14, 2017, 04:59:35 pm »

I think a lot of grown men are getting excited telling each other fairy tales about what they hope comes true.  Hope is a seductive mistress...it all makes perfect sense when it's what you want to hear. 

Logic suggests Bielema will be replaced but even that hasn't been confirmed.  Of course you might as well spend your day predicting and wishcasting because something has to fill the time while waiting for the inevitable

Exactly.

theFlyingHog

• The hottie comes back when CMN is head Hog!
« Reply #389 on: November 14, 2017, 05:00:10 pm »

I listened to his show for the first time today.  I loved the self defacing humor Grant displayed.
LMAO. I'm not making fun of you but I love the "self defacing"

elksnort

• Lucy, 10-11-2004 - 10-30-2015
« Reply #390 on: November 14, 2017, 05:02:57 pm »

Can we have a tail number tracking thread?

Those are so fun.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #391 on: November 14, 2017, 05:03:40 pm »

Can we have a tail number tracking thread?

Those are so fun.

Bobby coming back??

Ex-Trumpet

• When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #392 on: November 14, 2017, 05:07:46 pm »

LMAO. I'm not making fun of you but I love the "self defacing"

Better than self defecating I suppose...

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #393 on: November 14, 2017, 05:12:43 pm »

Better than self defecating I suppose...

Oh lord...where do you find assisted defecating?

elksnort

• Lucy, 10-11-2004 - 10-30-2015
« Reply #394 on: November 14, 2017, 05:16:47 pm »

Bobby coming back??
A net jet from Pullman, Washington landing at Drake might be interesting.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #395 on: November 14, 2017, 05:17:43 pm »

I thought you wanted a tracker on the "tail", sorry......

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #396 on: November 14, 2017, 05:18:13 pm »

Over on a place where the last part of the web address is hub.com.  They have a whole subcategory devoted to it.

swineology

• Hogvillian
  • Running Back U
« Reply #397 on: November 14, 2017, 05:18:43 pm »

;D

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #398 on: November 14, 2017, 05:19:44 pm »

metamucil

Hollywood870

• Senior
  • Say it again!
« Reply #399 on: November 14, 2017, 05:21:02 pm »

You won’t be happy.
This guy is quick on the trigger if anyone mentions Gus. Are y'all worried that he may be in play?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas