Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clay: Should hire Lane Kiffin; Will Hire Mike Norvell

Started by FutureMan, November 12, 2017, 09:31:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FutureMan

November 12, 2017, 09:31:31 am Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 11:28:41 am by FutureMan
In Clay Travis's mailbag on Friday, he weighed in on who each team Should Hire, and which team Will Hire.  For Arkansas he said we Should Hire Lane Kiffin, but we Will Hire Mike Norvell.  I am curious to see what many of you think of this.  Would you rather have Kiffin or Mike Norvell?

At first blush, I would have automatically chosen Norvell; mostly because I have felt in the past that Kiffin is immature and a bit of a scumbag.  But he is doing well at FAU and has his Owls currently in first place.  I have heard no indication of his program running astray with the law or discipline.  Has he changed?  I don't know, but I am interested.

Bringing on Kiffin would definitely bring an immediate injection of excitement and energy to the Arkansas program.  Because let's face it, this program is just boring right now.

I currently don't know at this point in time who I would rather want.  I would probably still choose Norvell but I am intrigued by the Lane Train.

What are some of your thoughts?

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/all-that-and-a-bag-of-mail-18/
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

Hogman2

Hawginj

Either would bring excitement. Norvell would be the safer of the two, I believe he would be a great fit across the board.. Kiffin has recruiting prowless and Alabama knowledge but he is a job hopper always looking for the bigger score.

Ironhawg

Imho Kiffin is a really good offensive mind.  He is also a big 'personality' which can be a double-edged sword.  His time at Tennessee was not good and ended really badly.  He tended to let his alligator mouth overload his hummingbird rear end.  My biggest concern with him is whether he has learned his lesson and can keep his ego in check enough to build a solid program.
In my mind Norvell is a big risk-big reward guy.  I love his offense and enthusiasm.  Is he ready for the SEC?

FutureMan

Quote from: Hawginj on November 12, 2017, 09:42:41 am
Either would bring excitement. Norvell would be the safer of the two, I believe he would be a great fit across the board.. Kiffin has recruiting prowless and Alabama knowledge but he is a job hopper always looking for the bigger score.

I think you raise a good point about Kiffin being a job hopper as a potential negative.  Kiffin would by no means think of Arkansas as his dream job; and as such, would in most likely look for a greater opportunity as soon as he found success.

Norvell, on the otherhand, is deeply fond of Arkansas.  Because of his ties, I can see him staying at Arkansas for a long time and wouldn't bolt immediately after he had success.

Good point.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

Hogimus Prime

Clay Travis loves boobs. Lane Kiffin is a boob, therefore Clay Travis loves Lane Kiffin.

Hawginj

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 12, 2017, 09:48:25 am
Imho Kiffin is a really good offensive mind.  He is also a big 'personality' which can be a double-edged sword.  His time at Tennessee was not good and ended really badly.  He tended to let his alligator mouth overload his hummingbird rear end.  My biggest concern with him is whether he has learned his lesson and can keep his ego in check enough to build a solid program.
In my mind Norvell is a big risk-big reward guy.  I love his offense and enthusiasm.  Is he ready for the SEC?
I believe you are spot on on Kiffin I wonder the same wether or not hes learned his lesson. I believe Norvell is ready for SEC play hes been a few places Tulsa when Gus was there, Pitt, Arizona St. Now Memphis. I don't believe the risk outweighs the reward with him and I think the sky's the limit on his potential.

Hawginj

Quote from: FutureMan on November 12, 2017, 09:52:18 am
I think you raise a good point about Kiffin being a job hopper as a potential negative.  Kiffin would by no means think of Arkansas as his dream job; and as such, would in most likely look for a greater opportunity as soon as he found success.

Norvell, on the otherhand, is deeply fond of Arkansas.  Because of his ties, I can see him staying at Arkansas for a long time and wouldn't bolt immediately after he had success.

Good point.
That's my biggest hang up with Kiffin I believe hes trying to get back to the NFL by any means necessary.

duckman

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on November 12, 2017, 09:52:40 am
Clay Travis loves boobs. Lane Kiffin is a boob, therefore Clay Travis loves Lane Kiffin.

Did you say boobs?

NuttinItUp

If you sign Kiffin, make sure you have a huge buyout on his end if he leaves.

He uses programs as stepping stones.

Paul

Read an article on Kiffin this week. He's on Twitter all the time & still trolling Saban. He's still childish & egotistical. Way too much drama for NW Arkansas

King Kong

Quote from: Paul on November 12, 2017, 11:39:55 am
Read an article on Kiffin this week. He's on Twitter all the time & still trolling Saban. He's still childish & egotistical. Way too much drama for NW Arkansas

If you call that drama you are clueless

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Paul on November 12, 2017, 11:39:55 am

Well, I can see why people compare him to Trump, then.

Paul

Quote from: King Kong on November 12, 2017, 11:41:09 am
If you call that drama you are clueless
. That's not all I'm referring to. His time in Knoxville was filled with sightings of him with coeds. That creates drama

King Kong

Quote from: Paul on November 12, 2017, 11:53:04 am
. That's not all I'm referring to. His time in Knoxville was filled with sightings of him with coeds. That creates drama

There was a rumor. That UT officials confirmed their was no proof of and that was after Kiffin left. So no reason to deny it.

Porkette

Absolute NO to Kiffin. We are hiring a head coach, not an OC. He was an embarrassing disaster at Tennessee, a disappointment at USC, and the way that he chooses to carry himself pubicly is tacky at best. I just don't see the appeal.
GO HOGS GO!

Paul

Quote from: King Kong on November 12, 2017, 11:59:15 am
There was a rumor. That UT officials confirmed their was no proof of and that was after Kiffin left. So no reason to deny it.
what do u expect them to say.  That they knew it & still kept him on till he hightailed it to USC?  U can't be that naive.  I have friends that saw him out with coeds.  Furthermore, why were "UT officials" but in the position to have to deny those rumors?  That in of of itself is telling...That's Drama!

Dominicanhog

If those were the 2 at the end, I'd be good with it.. I tend to agree with Clay but choices are an educated roll of the dice.....

Styflin

Quote from: Porkette on November 12, 2017, 12:04:27 pm
Absolute NO to Kiffin. We are hiring a head coach, not an OC. He was an embarrassing disaster at Tennessee, a disappointment at USC, and the way that he chooses to carry himself pubicly is tacky at best. I just don't see the appeal.

How was he a disaster at Tennessee?

Styflin

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 12, 2017, 09:48:25 am

His time at Tennessee ended badly? It ended because he was hired at USC

Styflin

Quote from: Paul on November 12, 2017, 12:05:09 pm
what do u expect them to say.  That they knew it & still kept him on till he hightailed it to USC?  U can't be that naive.  I have friends that saw him out with coeds.  Furthermore, why were "UT officials" but in the position to have to deny those rumors?  That in of of itself is telling...That's Drama!

By the way you post, it's clear the where drama comes from.

TrueBlue

Quote from: Porkette on November 12, 2017, 12:04:27 pm

Oh my. The flock will always follow no matter what....

Kiffin was only at USC for a little over three years, but the first two were heavily sanctioned with NCAA violations from Pete Carroll. Still finished first in his division the second year. Before the initial season started, the NCAA let players transfer without sitting out a year because of the sanctions.

Kiffin still managed a 28-15 record dispite all of that.

USC gave him three and a half years with two years being behind the eight ball because of Pete Carroll (who many on Hogville worship).

We have a coach that has been here five years with no excuses and a losing record in the SEC and there is still some doubt whether he is gone or not.

Porkette

Quote from: Styflin on November 12, 2017, 01:11:22 pm
How was he a disaster at Tennessee?

His record on the field was mediocre, but I would have considered it a disaster if it were my team. He ran his mouth from the day he arrived (much like Bielema did, only worse), creating embarrassment for the school before he ever coached a game there, and abandoned them after one year. There is nothing particularly impressive in his record as a head coach considering those were such high-profile programs. It just seems like people are only seeing what he did as an OC. I must be missing something.
GO HOGS GO!

Styflin

Quote from: Porkette on November 12, 2017, 01:23:24 pm
His record on the field was mediocre, but I would have considered it a disaster if it were my team. He ran his mouth from the day he arrived (much like Bielema did, only worse), creating embarrassment for the school before he ever coached a game there, and abandoned them after one year. There is nothing particularly impressive in his record as a head coach considering those were such high-profile programs. It just seems like people are only seeing what he did as an OC. I must be missing something.

The school was devastated when he left. It killed them. Kiffin beat Georgia that year, beat Spurriers 11 win Gamecocks, it took 2 blocked field goals from Mt Cody for Saban to beat Kiffin, he scored the #1 recruit in the country and a top flight recruiting class. I encourage you to take a deeper look.

HornetHog

Quote from: FutureMan on November 12, 2017, 09:31:31 am
In Clay Travis's mailbag on Friday, he weighed in on who each team Should Hire, and which team Will Hire.  For Arkansas he said we Should Hire Lane Kiffin, but we Will Hire Mike Norvell.  I am curious to see what many of you think of this.  Would you rather have Kiffin or Mike Norvell?

At first blush, I would have automatically chosen Norvell; mostly because I have felt in the past that Kiffin is immature and a bit of a scumbag.  But he is doing well at FAU and has his Owls currently in first place.  I have heard no indication of his program running astray with the law or discipline.  Has he changed?  I don't know, but I am interested.

Bringing on Kiffin would definitely bring an immediate injection of excitement and energy to the Arkansas program.  Because let's face it, this program is just boring right now.

I currently don't know at this point in time who I would rather want.  I would probably still choose Norvell but I am intrigued by the Lane Train.

What are some of your thoughts?

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/all-that-and-a-bag-of-mail-18/

Absolute suicide to hire Kiffin! 
I've watched first hand the decisions he's made at FAU since his 1st day and he would be the absolute worse choice we could ever make.
Just as smart as all the other smartarses on here

3kgthog

Kiffin wouldn't bring any excitement for me. He's immature and would leave us in the middle of the night just like he did Tennessee. He's a very poor fit here anyway. I don't care that his dad coached in Fayetteville before I was born.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Hawginj on November 12, 2017, 09:42:41 am

I agree! Kiffin is just too much of a wildcard. Some of the stuff he has pulled with the Raiders and Tenner, no thanks!

A recent article highlighted how much he loves the ocean and he has a place overlooking it now. Stayed what one year at Tenner?

In Al Davis' scathing firing Presser of Little Lord Lane, he mentioned that Kiffin had come to him asking out when our job opened in Dec. '07 and that he was worried about BP beating him to it..

Al told him he could leave without penalty, but only after the season concluded, not with 3 games left in the Raiders' season.

I don't think he has matured enough to be trusted not to leave for the bigger, better deal if/when the opportunity presented itself.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Porkette

Quote from: TrueBlue on November 12, 2017, 01:19:33 pm

Oh my. The flock will always follow no matter what....

No flock here. There is plenty of support for him on this board. I don't like the guy  (but would be positive and hope for the best if he were ever coaching here).
GO HOGS GO!

Styflin

Quote from: HornetHog on November 12, 2017, 01:31:04 pm
I've watched first hand the decisions he's made at FAU since his 1st day and he would be the absolute worse choice we could ever make.

I'm curious what kind of decisions?

Atlhogfan1

Our fan base can't handle Kiffin.  He is better off somewhere where the head football coach isn't in a fishbowl and other things happen aka outside the SEC.  PAC 12 like Az St would be a job I could see him in at some point.  Metro has pro sports to take some of the spotlight.  Pac 12 fans aren't as stupid crazy over sports usually.  His antics wouldn't be as magnified. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

NuttinItUp

Quote from: HornetHog on November 12, 2017, 01:31:04 pm

Didn't he put together like FAU's best recruiting class they had ever had in the history of the program?

I know he ended up signing several of the kids off of the show "Last Chance U". I realize his Hollywood/tv personality might rub some the wrong way here though.

jgphillips3

Kiffin would be here 3-4 years tops.  No way he stays long enough at Arkansas to make hiring him worth it.  Norvell is a better bet for our situation.

King Kong

Quote from: Paul on November 12, 2017, 12:05:09 pm

Because it was rumored in message boards. If they had found something they would have exposed it to make Kiffin look went bad as UT did after leaving a month before signing day.

JONAS

Kiffin left one job, Tennessee.  He left for USC which was his dream job.  Not really a job hopper.  Anyway, I want Mike Norvell. 

Paul

Quote from: Styflin on November 12, 2017, 01:13:23 pm
By the way you post, it's clear the where drama comes from.
cryptic.  Try to say what u mean

Hawginj

Quote from: JONAS on November 12, 2017, 02:53:47 pm
Kiffin left one job, Tennessee.  He left for USC which was his dream job.  Not really a job hopper.  Anyway, I want Mike Norvell.
and he'll leave FAU after this season. So he either gets fired or job hops

henri2

Quote from: Hawginj on November 12, 2017, 03:36:45 pm
and he'll leave FAU after this season. So he either gets fired or job hops
So leaving FAU for a SEC school would be considered a 'job hop"? He isn't getting fired. JS.

The Hawg Marshal

Styflin

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 12, 2017, 02:05:55 pm
Kiffin would be here 3-4 years tops.  No way he stays long enough at Arkansas to make hiring him worth it.  Norvell is a better bet for our situation.

Hiring a coach is like buying a vehicle. You aren't really buying it to drive forever. If Kiffin stayed for 4 years and left for a bigger program, well that just means he was winning here.

Paul

RedRock

Kiffin has the potential to be CBP 2.0 minus the Harley.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: RedRock on November 12, 2017, 09:06:16 pm
Kiffin has the potential to be CBP 2.0 minus the Harley.

Minus the Harley is everything!!!

CBP minus the Harley is awesome!!!

CBP minus the Harley is the stuff of dreams!!!

CFP minus the Harley takes us to the CFB playoffs and likely wins!!!

CFP minus the Harley is FRITO PIE!!!

hotdog hog

I don't think Kiffin would come to Arkansas to take a butt whipping from Saban every year. He would just use the interest to get money out of FAU

NuttinItUp

Quote from: hotdog hog on November 12, 2017, 09:52:12 pm
I don't think Kiffin would come to Arkansas to take a butt whipping from Saban every year. He would just use the interest to get money out of FAU

LOL @ "money out of FAU"

The Hawg Marshal

I think you're wrong about that. Kiffin would come to Arkansas in a heartbeat. I just don't think he'd be a good fit. But I'd take him him over Bret.

HF#1

Norvell will be secured by Tennessee because Long doesn't have the balls to fire Bielema now.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

GuvHog

Quote from: HF#1 on November 13, 2017, 09:18:20 am
Norvell will be secured by Tennessee because Long doesn't have the balls to fire Bielema now.

Disagree. Tennessee is desperate so they'll go after a big name coach. Norvell would be their last resort.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rhames

Quote from: HF#1 on November 13, 2017, 09:18:20 am

No. Both schools will hire their coaches around the same time.

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rhames

Kiffin would crawl to Fayetteville

Won't happen though.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.