Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Razorback Spirit- Houston Nutt

Started by mj4president, November 13, 2017, 06:57:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mj4president

Houston, with all of his flaws, embedded a fight in our teams and a "us" against the world view/chip on our shoulder where we'd bring it.

Hell, when they knew they were out, we go and knock off number 1 LSU in Death Valley.

I fondly remember his pre-game speeches, honestly, that was what he did best. We need someone with brains offensively but also bring what he did in that regard.

Could he be brought on, not as an assistant, but a quality control type person where he could do pre-game speeches etc? Just a thought.

"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

NuttinItUp

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: mj4president on November 13, 2017, 06:57:11 am
Houston, with all of his flaws, embedded a fight in our teams and a "us" against the world view/chip on our shoulder where we'd bring it.

Hell, when they knew they were out, we go and knock off number 1 LSU in Death Valley.

I fondly remember his pre-game speeches, honestly, that was what he did best. We need someone with brains offensively but also bring what he did in that regard.

Could he be brought on, not as an assistant, but a quality control type person where he could do pre-game speeches etc? Just a thought.

I think you're hitting the nail on the head.  Whether or not they serve as coordinator or a CEO type coach, you can't underestimate the value of an emotional motivator.  Houston Nutt was passionate and used that "I love the helmet" philosophy to get the most out of his players. I'm not saying that it should be Houston on the staff, but someone that instills that culture.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

dfwalumdad

i'd rather have another coach like petrino.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

November 13, 2017, 07:16:06 am #4 Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:18:34 am by OneTuskOverTheLine™
 I can just see the next HC turning over the last 3 minutes of pregame and 1/2 time to Coach Radio... But then again, I do dearly miss all of the Rah Rah with the fight-song. When he got here the University got a big assed dose of The Razorback Spirit. Hell! The whole state did...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

bphi11ips

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 13, 2017, 07:02:01 am
I think you're hitting the nail on the head.  Whether or not they serve as coordinator or a CEO type coach, you can't underestimate the value of an emotional motivator.  Houston Nutt was passionate and used that "I love the helmet" philosophy to get the most out of his players. I'm not saying that it should be Houston on the staff, but someone that instills that culture.

Pregame speeches are a superficial element of motivation.  Motivation comes from a culture of pride and commitment and investment and belief.  That culture is set by the head coach.  It can only be sustained by example.  That example is what separates Houston Nutt from Frank Broyles, Ken Hatfield, Bear Bryant, Nick Saban, Vince Lombardi, et al.

You know this.  I'm not disagreeing with you, just going a step further.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

rzrbaxfan

BB doesn't seem to be much of a motivator, but if it were up to me, I'd rather not see the motivation come from rah-rah crap like what Nutt did.  Sure, it got a few memorable wins, but it also came up short quite a bit.  I'd rather see the "you're going to get your a$$ chewed out if you are not excellent" type of motivation that Petrino had.

welchog

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 13, 2017, 07:27:46 am
Pregame speeches are a superficial element of motivation.  Motivation comes from a culture of pride and commitment and investment and belief.  That culture is set by the head coach.  It can only be sustained by example.  That example is what separates Houston Nutt from Frank Broyles, Ken Hatfield, Bear Bryant, Nick Saban, Vince Lombardi, et al.

You know this.  I'm not disagreeing with you, just going a step further.

There was a culture under Nutt that fed into his pregame sermons.  It was the foundation that his coordinators built there position groups upon.  There was a fire that hasn't been seen in a long time.  I've spoke to many of the defensive players from the Keith Burns era and they've talked about it.  A group spoke with the team and tried to ignite a fire before the season, Hamlin spoke about it just last week.  There is a lot more to succeeding that's just a rah rah speech 5 minutes before  kickoff, we all know that.  But when there is a common denominator that everyone buys in to, you'll get the most out of a team. They currently do not have any of that.  I don't put Nutt in the same category as those you mentioned, but few are.  I just believe a passionate coach, whether a Houston Nutt cheerleader or a hard nosed Saban or Petrino will get more out of 18-22 year old players.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

bphi11ips

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on November 13, 2017, 07:16:06 am
I can just see the next HC turning over the last 3 minutes of pregame and 1/2 time to Coach Radio... But then again, I do dearly miss all of the Rah Rah with the fight-song. When he got here the University got a big assed dose The Razorback Spirit. Hell! The whole state did...

8-0 will do that for a fan base.

Nutt was a good coach to start with.  He believed in Arkansas because he grew up with that spirit.  Whoever leads Arkansas athletics and the football team has to have the firm belief that Arkansas is as great as any other member of the SEC and a vision of how to get a team and the entire state to buy in to that belief.  In 1998 an entire state thought we were.  In 2017 few do. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 13, 2017, 07:37:54 am
There was a culture under Nutt that fed into his pregame sermons.  It was the foundation that his coordinators built there foundation upon.  There was a fire that hasn't been seen in a long time.  I've spoke to many of the defensive players from the Keith Burns era and they've talked about it.  A group spoke with the team and tried to ignite a fire before the season, Hamlin spoke about it just last week.  There is a lot more to succeeding that's just a rah rah speech 5 minutes before  kickoff, we all know that.  But when there is a common denominator that everyone buys in to, you'll get the most out of a team. They currently do not have any of that.  I don't out Nutt in the same category as those you mentioned, but few are.  I just believe a passionate coach, whether a Houston Nutt cheerleader or a hard nosed Saban or Petrino will get more out of 18-22 year old players.

Keith Burns was a great Razorback himself - one who lived it and understood the passion of the fanbase.  His son is going to be a great coach himself one day.  Whatever happens in tbe next few weeks, I hope Tanner Burns remains in Fayetteville.

NaturalStateReb

Since when has Houston Nutt ever controlled quality?
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

HotlantaHog

Maybe bring him in to give a pregame speech before Mississippi State or Mizzou. Wouldn't have him near the new coach's team.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 13, 2017, 07:41:53 am
Keith Burns was a great Razorback himself - one who lived it and understood the passion of the fanbase.  His son is going to be a great coach himself one day.  Whatever happens in tbe next few weeks, I hope Tanner Burns remains in Fayetteville.
Tanner is going to be a great one.  I agree. 

PonderinHog

We can do better. This guy is available.

Torqued pork

I don't know.  It seems like Nutt was bad about getting really down after a loss and let it carry over to the next game which would often turn into another loss.

bphi11ips

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 13, 2017, 07:46:00 am
Maybe bring him in to give a pregame speech before Mississippi State or Mizzou. Wouldn't have him near the new coach's team.

Keith Burns might be a good idea.  He knows what Razorback Stadium is like when it's rocking. He was part of the 1981 Texas win and has twice seen goal posts on Dickson.  Tanner was 8 or 9 when the goal posts took a trip after Arkansas paid Tennessee back for the '98 loss. 

Barry Lunney would be another good choice.  Not only does he have the history, he has the presence of a head coach.  I hope he stays as well for a while to transition, but unless he is at least a coordinator, his loyalty to the Hogs eventually creates a ceiling. 

jrulz83

Houston Nutt should wake up every morning and thank the Good Lord for Bret Bielema.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Houston had little control over the program off the field.  Can you imagine what that would be like in today's Twitterverse? 

So yes, passion is great.  So is organization.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

RedRock

cram224

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 13, 2017, 08:28:34 am
He was great game motivator !

He was an emotional train wreck with little substance.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bphi11ips

Quote from: cram224 on November 13, 2017, 08:39:05 am
Where is Tanner Burns coaching at?

Arkansas, just not as one of the 9 current assistants allowed by the NCAA.  He is only late 20s and will be one soon. 

Hawgboy64

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 13, 2017, 07:09:53 am
i'd rather have another coach like petrino.
Bobby's blonde GF was hotter than Nutt's, but if we retread either one it will signal the apocalypse for Hogville.
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

HeathWimp

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 13, 2017, 08:19:36 am
Keith Burns might be a good idea.  He knows what Razorback Stadium is like when it's rocking. He was part of the 1981 Texas win and has twice seen goal posts on Dickson.  Tanner was 8 or 9 when the goal posts took a trip after Arkansas paid Tennessee back for the '98 loss. 

Barry Lunney would be another good choice.  Not only does he have the history, he has the presence of a head coach.  I hope he stays as well for a while to transition, but unless he is at least a coordinator, his loyalty to the Hogs eventually creates a ceiling. 

The goal posts came down for Texas in '81?  Before my time, just curious.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

HawgWild

FWIW - I remember reading that after he left for Arkansas, one of his Boise State players called HDN a "used car salesman". One man's motivator is another man's BS artist.

HawgWild

Quote from: HeathWimp on November 13, 2017, 09:36:02 am

They were taken down and carried down Dickson Street after beating Tennessee in 1999.

Hogblog

longtimeHogfan

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

1highhog

It's funny to me how so many that have posted in this thread seem to miss Nutt, even after all the crap we went through with him as coach during his 10 year tenure.  Sure, we'd win the occasion "big" game, but then turn around the next week and lose to a team we would suppose to win against.  And who can forget the Nuttster asking for and getting the two year window of mediocrity?  Sure, we are terrible under CBB, but let's not look to the past and go back in time to a sad sack like Nutt, have we not learned anything?  I have!  We need a new Coach, not a retread!  And we don't need a Les Miles either.  Hopefully, we will get a bright mind that preaches defense but also values great assistants and hires the best out there as far as an exciting offense and assistants that are great recruiters in the Southern States, especially Texas and Louisiana.

ShadowHawg

If Razorback spirit is leaving for Oklahoma State and having your son spit on the Hog at midfield while coaching Ole Miss, then Nutt is your man.

FANONTHEHILL

Don't miss Nutt.  Do miss the passion for the program.

Razorbackers

From the bottom to the top.

bphi11ips

They not only came down, they took a trip up Dickson.  Arkansas beat number 1 Texas 42-11.  A bonfire at Dickson and Thompson burned 4 inches of asphalt from corner to corner. 

The Hawg Marshal

Saban, Meyer, Petrino, Gus,  and the list goes on. You don't need to be rah rah if you are a good coach.

texas tush hog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 13, 2017, 10:07:28 am
Don't miss Nutt.  Do miss the passion for the program.

FANONTHEHILL, can you tell us if the team goes over to the student section and sings the fight song before leaving the field the way Nutt's teams did. Don't recall seeing that this year. That is the one thing I give Nutt credit for during his years. Seems like the boys head to the locker room at the final gun, but I could be mistaken. Could you enlighten us on this?

mj4president

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 13, 2017, 10:17:01 am
FANONTHEHILL, can you tell us if the team goes over to the student section and sings the fight song before leaving the field the way Nutt's teams did. Don't recall seeing that this year. That is the one thing I give Nutt credit for during his years. Seems like the boys head to the locker room at the final gun, but I could be mistaken. Could you enlighten us on this?

That's after wins...something we don't do.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

FANONTHEHILL

They go to student section and sing the fight song and then come back across the field to speak to the families on the wall afterword.  As mentioned above, only after wins.

Locutus_of_Boar

Nick Saban uses "us against the world" only when he's about to use the press as a whipping boy to allow him to express displeasure with his own team without having to take responsibility for his actions.

Every other coach who says "us against the world" is in trouble for losing too many games.

I do have one uniform suggestion for HDN's much anticipated return...  (This shot is from one of Hootie's half a hundred disasters, USC 2006.)

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/an-inflatable-mascot-from-the-university-of-arkansas-news-photo/71775751?esource=SEO_GIS_CDN_Redirect#an-inflatable-mascot-from-the-university-of-arkansas-razorbacks-the-picture-id71775751

EastexHawg

Yes, Nutt loved the helmet so much that he sneaked off to Oklahoma State...so he could sit the bench there, too.

His greatest "accomplishment" as our coach was that Matt Jones, Darren McFadden, and Peyton Hillis were born in Arkansas 18 years earlier, respectively.

The Kid

Dickson Street was literally on fire.
Let's get the train back on the tracks.

razorcash2

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on November 13, 2017, 09:48:02 am
...and a better than average band leader.
I've never been able to find the video of Nutt knocking over the band director, then climbing the ladder to lead the fight song.

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: razorcash2 on November 13, 2017, 11:13:49 am
I've never been able to find the video of Nutt knocking over the band director, then climbing the ladder to lead the fight song.

I didn't see the knocking over the band director part, but I for sure, quite vividly, remember him leading the band on the ladder after beating Alabama in 2006.  I had seats behind a professor & his family and next to a former cheerleader & her friends.  We were one section over from the student section (115, I think).  We were all still in awe of the win when the professor saw Nutt.  We got pretty quiet and the cheerleader said something like "I can't decide if I think that is cool or a bit unprofessional".  The professor said "you have to act like you've been there before".

HawgWild

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on November 13, 2017, 11:58:13 am
The professor said "you have to act like you've been there before".

I recall that being said a few times during HDN's tenure.

PolishPigPower

The thought of that man being directly associated with the Razorback football team ever again makes me  :puke:

The Korean DMZ and the Berlin Wall weren't quite as divisive as he was the last 4-5 years here.  No thanks.
Quote from: Cooper on November 16, 2008, 10:35:46 pm
I might try my hand at some porn.

Quote from: Breems on May 02, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
Last post in the Tavern here.  See you guys.  Have fun.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 13, 2017, 07:46:00 am

jswineberiaskirk

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 13, 2017, 10:05:33 am
If Razorback spirit is leaving for Oklahoma State and having your son spit on the Hog at midfield while coaching Ole Miss, then Nutt is your man.

This. BB for all eternity rather than letting MOTHO anywhere near the program.

mweston

How we get someone with the integrity of Beilema, the x & o knowledge of Petrino, and the motivational ability of Nutt ?  Just put the best qualities of our last three coaches together and it sounds like we have a winner for sure.

Sed76

I remember during that 1998 season on the coaches show they would show a bit of the pregame speech. He gave the one about there being lots of tigers and bulldogs but only one Razorback. The guy might have been a poor x's and o's coach but he could get the players and fans ready. Don't recall ever hearing anything out of Bielema's mouth that has gotten me super excited for a game.