Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trying to add some Rationale for our Coaching Search

Started by WilsonHog, November 13, 2017, 11:50:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 13, 2017, 05:34:49 pm
Wilson, a darkhorse (I'll withhold my others because they are not currently HC, which I think is a prerequisite): Mike Gundy.

Gundy, like Malzahn at Auburn, is always second fiddle to OU. He had a shot this year at OU and fell short. He has struggled with his primary booster, T. Boone Pickens. He looked the last time we had an opening. He has a kiddo at UA.

Checks the boxes - offensive minded, recruits TX well, tends to hire good assistants who coach up the 3-star recruits.

Gundy hasn't struggled with T. Boone from what I hear, the struggle has always been between he and his AD, Mike Holder. T. Boone gave Gundy the ranch that he lives on right now outside Stillwater and he loves that ranch. It is his now and isn't tied to his compensation/performance/contract so he could keep it even if he came to Arkansas. I've got a feeling that if Gundy has a problem with Holder, he might really have a problem with Long. Of course, that might wind up being a moot point anyway in the not too distant future.

I agree with you that Gundy would most likely do very well at Arkansas. I think at least as good as Gus, absent the obvious baggage.
Go Hogs Go!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 13, 2017, 05:41:08 pm
Or, why would Leach come to the SEC when he might be offered at UCLA in talent rich southern California? Less travel time to recruit and more time to explore Pirate history. ;)

Now that it's legal in California, he might consider UCLA.. but I think he likes it in the North West, where he can be himself and they think it's cool...

DLUXHOG

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 13, 2017, 11:56:12 am
Why would either come to Fayetteville over Florida or Tennessee?

$$$ will make anyone make a positive decision..... as I said earlier, everyone has a price.....   everyone....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 13, 2017, 05:54:49 pm
Now that it's legal in California, he might consider UCLA.. but I think he likes it in the North West, where he can be himself and they think it's cool...

Yeah, if I were offered to come to UCLA I'd probably opt to stay at Washington State.
Go Hogs Go!

SPAL

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 13, 2017, 11:56:12 am

Wilson, one thing that I might add is that there are more good coaches than jobs available.

Let's say Florida gets first pick. Petrino, Taggert, Frost, Campbell, Norvell, leach, chip Kelly etc.

Then Tennessee, then TAMU, etc.

By the time those jobs get filled, there should still be some very good coaches available.

So, I think my question is why would someone leave a current gig for Arkansas?

Oklahawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 13, 2017, 05:50:17 pm
Gundy hasn't struggled with T. Boone from what I hear, the struggle has always been between he and his AD, Mike Holder. T. Boone gave Gundy the ranch that he lives on right now outside Stillwater and he loves that ranch. It is his now and isn't tied to his compensation/performance/contract so he could keep it even if he came to Arkansas. I've got a feeling that if Gundy has a problem with Holder, he might really have a problem with Long. Of course, that might wind up being a moot point anyway in the not too distant future.

I agree with you that Gundy would most likely do very well at Arkansas. I think at least as good as Gus, absent the obvious baggage.

Reading this made me wonder about past "issues": http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/mike-gundy-receives-letter-support-boone-pickens-oklahoma/story?id=50967451
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

nwahogfan1

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 13, 2017, 12:42:53 pm
Here is the argument I would make.

At Auburn, Gus lives in Saban's shadow 24/7/365. He will never be the man in Alabama as long as Saban is around, and even after Nick retires he still has to deal with a split state. The tradition and history of the Crimson Tide never goes away.

He has been at Auburn five years, and one week ago the word was that he would be fired if he lost to both Georgia and Alabama. Once that talk starts, it rarely goes away. If he loses to Alabama, his seat starts to warm again. By contrast, he could take the Arkansas job and very likely retire here in 10 years. Family nearby, friends nearby, less pressure, less stress, and a state full of high school coaches who think he (and Tim Horton) are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

At this juncture, I don't think the question is "why would he;" I think it's "why wouldn't he?"

Why would Gus come home?

His parents and his wife's parents live in Fort Smith.
He is an Arkansas Boy growing up and playing football in Fort Smith.
He has all of his playing days and most of his coaching in Arkansas
He would not have to win the SECW and Bama every year to keep boosters and fans from turning on you.
Expectations for success would be much less here than Auburn.  He could coach 10 years here and win an average of 7+ games a year and be successful here.
Money would be about the same.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 13, 2017, 06:38:09 pm
Reading this made me wonder about past "issues": http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/mike-gundy-receives-letter-support-boone-pickens-oklahoma/story?id=50967451

I'm not connected to Okla State except through a pretty strong financial booster over there so all I know is what I hear. I have no first hand knowledge. I've heard that T. Boone has had to intervene between Gundy and Holder at times and has made it clear to Holder that Gundy is his guy. Now maybe that isn't true? I don't know. I'm getting it from a big financial supporter of OSU (Suite Level Booster) and that is all that I know. I've heard that the relationship between Holder and Gundy has been so bad at times that Gundy considered going elsewhere, but again, that's third hand through this booster.

So I don't know. Hearsay on my part.
Go Hogs Go!

texasdvm

I think Gus would welcome the challenge to show everyone in Arkansas that he really is the best coach to ever come from Arkansas. He is super competitive.

elksnort

There are a lot of good reasons for Gus to come back to Arkansas. For you people who don't care for Gus or don't want him back factually tell me why

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 13, 2017, 12:42:53 pm
Here is the argument I would make.

At Auburn, Gus lives in Saban's shadow 24/7/365. He will never be the man in Alabama as long as Saban is around, and even after Nick retires he still has to deal with a split state. The tradition and history of the Crimson Tide never goes away.

He has been at Auburn five years, and one week ago the word was that he would be fired if he lost to both Georgia and Alabama. Once that talk starts, it rarely goes away. If he loses to Alabama, his seat starts to warm again. By contrast, he could take the Arkansas job and very likely retire here in 10 years. Family nearby, friends nearby, less pressure, less stress, and a state full of high school coaches who think he (and Tim Horton) are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

At this juncture, I don't think the question is "why would he;" I think it's "why wouldn't he?"

I tried to explain this to them weeks ago and was laughed at.

Alot of younger folks don't get the Arkansas connection. They think it is ran up there like other programs.

It isn't.

PRJ

duckman

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 13, 2017, 05:34:49 pm
Wilson, a darkhorse (I'll withhold my others because they are not currently HC, which I think is a prerequisite): Mike Gundy.

Gundy, like Malzahn at Auburn, is always second fiddle to OU. He had a shot this year at OU and fell short. He has struggled with his primary booster, T. Boone Pickens. He looked the last time we had an opening. He has a kiddo at UA.

Checks the boxes - offensive minded, recruits TX well, tends to hire good assistants who coach up the 3-star recruits.

I've been told it is in order:  Gus, Gundy, Norvell...

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 13, 2017, 11:56:12 am

Why did Pertino leave the NFL for Arkansas over Michigan? Why did Bielema go for Arkansas over Tennessee?

Is it possible Arkansas is perceived as a better job than you think?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 13, 2017, 07:16:46 pm
I'm not connected to Okla State except through a pretty strong financial booster over there so all I know is what I hear. I have no first hand knowledge. I've heard that T. Boone has had to intervene between Gundy and Holder at times and has made it clear to Holder that Gundy is his guy. Now maybe that isn't true? I don't know. I'm getting it from a big financial supporter of OSU (Suite Level Booster) and that is all that I know. I've heard that the relationship between Holder and Gundy has been so bad at times that Gundy considered going elsewhere, but again, that's third hand through this booster.

So I don't know. Hearsay on my part.

Saw after the OU game that Boone had tweeted support for Gundy.. question is, who would you rather have the confidence of, your boss or the owner of the company?..

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 13, 2017, 05:57:12 pm
Yeah, if I were offered to come to UCLA I'd probably opt to stay at Washington State.

In years past you left a WSU for a UCLA because of more pay, prestige etc.. but today, even 2nd tier schools pay big bucks and are on TV every week.. I see why a Petersen stays at BSU, Wittingham at Utah etc...Sometimes,  more years of a few less dollars, is better than more dollars for a few years...

rzrbk4life

I think something else to think about with gus is that this may be his last chance to come home and coach the hogs if that's what he wants. If we hire another coach he'll be here what another 4-5 years at minimum. By that time gus may have moved onto another job or who knows what happens.

Gus may want to get out of AU while he can on his own before he's forced out
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Hoggie17

Quote from: elksnort on November 13, 2017, 10:14:54 pm
There are a lot of good reasons for Gus to come back to Arkansas. For you people who don't care for Gus or don't want him back factually tell me why
Let me answer for them.

They think they are losers, and bringing in a coach that can win would ruin their self image.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 14, 2017, 07:47:58 am
Let me answer for them.

They think they are losers, and bringing in a coach that can win would ruin their self image.

I'm sure that's it... they just don't want to win.. yep, gotta be it... Don't know why I'm still amazed at some of the statements on this board, you'd think I would be sensitized by now...

Drop the Mike

Gotta love tenner fans, they had to beg jones to take the job after being turned down from the mullet and strong. But hey, let's get gruden this time! Or Campbell as a back up with his 10 mil buyout adding to butchs 8 mil. 18 mil before you pay him a dime to be YOUR coach.

They will do what they always do and hire someone most of their fans will have to google.

NashvilleHog

I would take Gundy over Gus...and it wouldn't be close.  Gundy has all of the TX recruiting connections that we would need.  He plays OU every year and they are about as close to Alabama as you can get in terms of talent, winning, etc. and has done pretty well against them. 

I didn't even think about him being an option. He's 112-52 as a coach and that's pretty damn good. 
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.