Tennessee

Started by hookshog, November 12, 2017, 10:55:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hookshog

Looks like jones is gone.

shown006

Quote from: hookshog on November 12, 2017, 10:55:43 am
Looks like jones is gone.

Yep.  Things are going to start happening as the season winds down.
WPS!

GunnerHawg70

Yah my buddy is a Vols alum close to the program and he's pretty much saying the same...But hey, crazier things have happened before in the world of CFB especially in the SEC...A losing streak to EVERY SEC team pretty much gets you walking papers...

I really think Butch Gones...😉 ;)

rhog1

If only we would go ahead and make our announcement too.

Ex-Trumpet

You mean it's possible to fire a coach before the end of the season?  For losing?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hoghearted

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 12, 2017, 11:08:45 am
You mean it's possible to fire a coach before the end of the season?  For losing?

Shocker!
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Brady Hoke to serve as interim...
If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you...

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Dr. Sheldon Cooper on November 12, 2017, 11:11:08 am
Brady Hoke to serve as interim...
He'd be a really good candidate to get the full time job!

checkraiser88

So this will require a blowout loss to Mizzou at years end? It's coming folks

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 12, 2017, 11:08:45 am

Apparently not here. #uncommon...
#NolanRichardsonCourt

NuttinItUp

If we compete with Tennessee for a potential coach, which school would the coach choose?

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 12, 2017, 11:15:33 am
If we compete with Tennessee for a potential coach, which school would the coach choose?

Unfortunately Tenner...but that's just my opinion

rhog1

The truth is the Tennessee job has been open in all but name for weeks. If they are announcing now then it probably means they already have their man and are just waiting for the season to end. I just hope they didn't land Norvell.

Hogwild

According to Chris Low he was given the option to coach the remainder of the season and see if they could become bowl eligible. He declined, remaining home dates against LSU and Vandy.

rhog1

Quote from: Hogwild on November 12, 2017, 11:20:14 am
According to Chris Low he was given the option to coach the remainder of the season and see if they could become bowl eligible. He declined, remaining home dates against LSU and Vandy.
Declining to finish out the season with his team doesn't sound like something a champion of life would do.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

I think it depends on the the candidates...
Norvell or Gus, guys with Arkansas ties, I'd say we would obviously have the advantage.
All things equal, I'd say Tenner is probably the more attractive job at this point.
Better recruiting history (top 15 classes compared to top 30 classes)
SEC East schedule
Just my opinion
If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you...

Hoggie17

Arkansas would never fire a coach for losing, riding a motor cycle now that's another story.

Al Boarland

UT has a richer tradition and, although the program has lost its luster, is a national brand. It could be built back up with the right coach.

Hoggie17

We can be built back with the right coach, CBP has us in the top 5 at the end of 2011 and we were one the teams picked to win it all in 2012.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 12, 2017, 11:35:06 am
We can be built back with the right coach, CBP has us in the top 5 at the end of 2011 and we were one the teams picked to win it all in 2012.

I think you offer Dan Mullen more money than he can turn down.

Hoggie17

Even Nutt won more than he lost and was ranked many times.  CBP just took us to another level and he did fast.  Just because CBB has us playing like Vandy thats not our norm.

forrest city joe

This is the headline that should be at the university of Arkansas today.only it should be coach B.no reason to wait. https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/butch-jones-fired-tennessee-football

farmhawg

What the hell are we waiting for? Screw his feelings and can his ass.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: forrest city joe on November 12, 2017, 11:49:09 am
This is the headline that should be at the university of Arkansas today.only it should be coach B.no reason to wait. https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/butch-jones-fired-tennessee-football

I disagree.  It should have been the headline after Mizzou last year.  If not then, after VaTech.  If not then, USCe.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Al Boarland on November 12, 2017, 11:30:56 am
UT has a richer tradition and, although the program has lost its luster, is a national brand. It could be built back up with the right coach.

Jones must be a terrible coach; never followed his career so, don't know.  Do know that he has been recruiting well while at Tenn.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on November 12, 2017, 11:56:59 am
Jones must be a terrible coach; never followed his career so, don't know.  Do know that he has been recruiting well while at Tenn.

Not a terrible coach.  But, he was a below-average trumpet player.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 12, 2017, 11:53:10 am
I disagree.  It should have been the headline after Mizzou last year.  If not then, after VaTech.  If not then, USCe.
Agreed.if i had my say he would have been fired after that 56 to 3,disgrace at Auburn last year.

HawgPound

Quote from: rhog1 on November 12, 2017, 11:24:53 am
Declining to finish out the season with his team doesn't sound like something a champion of life would do.
It depends. He may realize that he has lost the team and fans. If he sticks around it could impact attendance and add to the vitriol that is coming from the base. Walking away now gives them closure and they can move on to the next chapter.

Bielema... ...if you are reading this, be a champion of life. Take the walk.

Hog Pharm

rhames

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on November 12, 2017, 11:53:18 am
Yeah, see you don't have to wait til season's end.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2678921-butch-jones-reportedly-fired-as-tennessee-head-coach-currently-0-6-in-sec

And guess What? Those schools will all hire a coach in the same time frame as Arkansas

Don't see why we can't get to next week and announce mizzou will be his last game.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

HawgPound

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 12, 2017, 11:27:03 am
Arkansas would never fire a coach for losing, riding a motor cycle now that's another story.
He did a lot more riding than on that motor cycle. Do any of you Petrino huggers think he would still be here if that had not happened? I honestly think he would have moved on at the first rough patch. It is his nature.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: forrest city joe on November 12, 2017, 12:03:20 pm
Agreed.if i had my say he would have been fired after that 56 to 3,disgrace at Auburn last year.

In hindsight, yes, after Auburn.  I was willing to see how he bounced back after getting his dork knocked in the dirt.  He did not, and that should have revealed to everyone what's inside. 

He is an empty vessel trying to fill it, apparently, with food.  Not a fat joke, either.  I hope he gets his life together and rejuvenates himself for his family.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: rhames on November 12, 2017, 12:05:44 pm

And guess What? Those schools will all hire a coach in the same time frame as Arkansas

Don't see why we can't get to next week and announce mizzou will be his last game.

I don't see why they couldn't have announced Mizzou would be his last game several weeks ago.

rhames

Also hasn't Jones pretty much been fired every Sunday for the past few months?

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: rhames on November 12, 2017, 12:10:09 pm
Also hasn't Jones pretty much been fired every Sunday for the past few months?

Lol!!

woodhog14

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 12, 2017, 11:35:06 am

No we weren't. Nobody picked us to win it all in 2012 in the preseason. We weren't even picked to win the SECW that year. Revisionist history...good lord man.

rhames

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 12, 2017, 12:09:49 pm
I don't see why they couldn't have announced Mizzou would be his last game several weeks ago.

Fair. Probably waiting till mathematically he can't get to a bowl would be my guess

rhames

Quote from: woodhog14 on November 12, 2017, 12:11:44 pm
No we weren't. Nobody picked us to win it all in 2012 in the preseason. We weren't even picked to win the SECw that year. Revisionist history...good lord man,

Actually for what it is worth there were a few that picked us to win it all. Skip Bayles was one. Most people thought we would have another 10 win season before and after the ride.

Seebs

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 12, 2017, 11:28:54 am
You know, we've never considered this but maybe Petrino was riding a losing motorcycle.......

Not that paying a coed you were having relations with 20K and a job was baked into the decision at all
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

hog.goblin

Quote from: forrest city joe on November 12, 2017, 11:49:09 am

Every reason to wait two weeks.  No reason to act foolish now like Tenner and FL.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: Seebs on November 12, 2017, 12:16:53 pm
Not that paying a coed you were having relations with 20K and a job was baked into the decision at all
Or the fact that he lied about it to save himself.

Birminghog

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 12, 2017, 11:28:54 am
You know, we've never considered this but maybe Petrino was riding a losing motorcycle.......

This is the same type of thinking that has people in Alabama still pledging to vote for Roy Moore regardless of what he may have done. We can find someone with both skill and integrity.

Pecos Hog

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 12, 2017, 12:19:29 pm
Every reason to wait two weeks.  No reason to act foolish now like Tenner and FL.

No reason to act now UNLESS Tenny gets ahead of us on the coaching search. 

woodhog14

Quote from: rhames on November 12, 2017, 12:13:51 pm

Actually for what it is worth there were a few that picked us to win it all. Skip Bayles was one. Most people thought we would have another 10 win season before and after the ride.

OK...Skip Bayless. Wow, a mouth breather. Here is the what REAL preseason predictions looked like:

Lindy's - 3rd in SECW
Athlon - 3rd in SECW
Phil Steele - 3rd in SECW
USA Today - 3rd in SECW
ESPN - 3rd in SECW
CBS Sports - 3rd in SECW
CNNSI - 4th in SECW
Rivals - 3rd in SECW
FoxSports - 3rd in SECW
Sporting News - 3rd in SECW

None of those publications had us winning it all. Most had picked Bama, a few had Ohio State and one had Oregon.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 12, 2017, 12:19:29 pm

Just because we haven't made it official doesn't mean we aren't planning and contacting and lining up options through third parties. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rhames

Quote from: woodhog14 on November 12, 2017, 12:28:22 pm
OK...Skip Bayless. Wow, a mouth breather. Here is the what REAL preseason predictions looked like:

Lindy's - 3rd in SECW
Athlon - 3rd in SECW
Phil Steele - 3rd in SECW
USA Today - 3rd in SECW
ESPN - 3rd in SECW
CBS Sports - 3rd in SECW
CNNSI - 4th in SECW
Rivals - 3rd in SECW
FoxSports - 3rd in SECW
Sporting News - 3rd in SECW

None of those publications had us winning it all. Most had picked Bama, a few had Ohio State and one had Oregon.

Which is what we finished in 2011. As I said, many thought a 10 win season was possible.

And that was after losing Bobby.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Pecos Hog on November 12, 2017, 12:28:17 pm
No reason to act now UNLESS Tenny gets ahead of us on the coaching search. 

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 12, 2017, 12:30:20 pm
Just because we haven't made it official doesn't mean we aren't planning and contacting and lining up options through third parties. 

Exactly, there is nothing TN is doing the next 2 weeks that we couldn't do, or may already be doing, as well.

woodhog14

Quote from: rhames on November 12, 2017, 12:31:40 pm

Which is what we finished in 2011. As I said, many thought a 10 win season was possible.

And that was after losing Bobby.
I'm saying that no one picked us to win it all. Nobody. That was what the original point to the post was.