Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Real Question About Gus

Started by razorbackfaninar, November 13, 2017, 01:52:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 13, 2017, 04:44:05 pm
We shouldn't hire a coach we don't think can win the SECW (or at least be in the running as long as Saban is at Bama).  Once every 4-5 seasons or so we should have a team who can compete on that level.  8 games per year average is fine for an Arkansas coach over an extended time.  A ceiling of 8 wins is not. 

No idea if Gus can do it or not because I have no idea what our defense would look like with his offense.

You can get a pretty good idea by looking at his current team.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hogsanity on November 13, 2017, 02:26:56 pm
Gus is treated the same way Mike Anderson was. There was a certain segment that thought he got a raw deal and were not going to be happy until he was brought back as HC.

I think Mike Anderson is an above average coach though, but I'll warn you I know precious little about football and even less about basketball.

sw403

dc10x5555

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 13, 2017, 02:16:41 pm
Gus is a proven Winner.
amen!!!!    that says it all.   bring Gus home and turn things around.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: S.A.D.C on November 13, 2017, 02:35:16 pm
I wouldn't spend a nickle of my money for a ticket on the Gus Bus...  BUT:  i think a rational person can make a case that Gus is the best and most accomplished hire Arkansas will have an opportunity to hire.  The Gus Bus riders are relentless but his haters are just the same.  If the Gus worshipers believe he is the only answer then haters think he could never be the answer.  Neither one is right.   

I disagree. I think that Arkansas is a desirable job right now, and I think for a few reasons.  We have plenty of resources.  We have shown we will invest in our facilities and in our staff, a new coach will not have to come in and set the world on fire.  We have been so beat down as a fan base we will be happy at first with just playing good competitive football. I think that with two different contrasting styles of football we have seen what will and what won't work in our particular situation. Jeff Long, no matter what people think of him here, is well respected nationally. The SEC is an attractive destination for coaches, and our expectations as a fan base even a few years in are going to be more reasonable that at say Tennessee. If you can win 7-8 games most years and then win 10-11 you are going to do well here in the eyes of most of the fans. I don't think we have to settle for whoever we can get, and I know that in the eyes of the sports world Malzahn would not be seen as settling, it would be seen as a real coup, but I don't think he would be as successful here as he has been at Auburn.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 13, 2017, 05:18:09 pm
You can get a pretty good idea by looking at his current team.

No you can't. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 13, 2017, 07:06:31 pm
No you can't.

Why not? Do you think he will run a completely different system at arkansas?

1highhog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 13, 2017, 02:16:41 pm
Gus is a proven Winner.

Where at?  Arkansas State?   He did do pretty good there.  But at Auburn he only has been decent, he has had top 10 talent every year and what has he done with it?  Has he won the SEC one time?

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: 1highhog on November 13, 2017, 09:37:26 pm
Where at?  Arkansas State?   He did do pretty good there.  But at Auburn he only has been decent, he has had top 10 talent every year and what has he done with it?  Has he won the SEC one time?
Didn't they win it his first year?

Stonewall1953

The real question about Gus is why would he come back to Arkansas?    The only reason I can think of is if Auburn fires him and he is looking for a new gig.    After their win over #1 Georgia I would think he is no longer on the hot seat this year even if he does not beat Alabama since he finishes with a 9-3 season record and a top tier Bowl prospect.    So why would he leave a school that is able to recruit higher ranked recruits every year (2017 Aub class overall #9 vs. #27 Ark) and go to another school in the SEC West that must also compete against Alabama with less talent?   
The real choice is between fallen big name coaches not in high demand (like a Les Miles, Bo Pelini, or Tommy Tuberville) or hot younger coaches at non Power 5 schools that don't get snapped up in the coaching carousel by SEC schools with better prospect for a championship (U of F, U of T).  I favor going with young up and comers but would feel better about this if Frank Broyles was alive to lead the selection process vs. the current AD.

Rzback

Quote from: jackflash on November 13, 2017, 04:17:34 pm
my question if he that good why would Auburn consider firing him?
Because Auburn is not satisfied with anything less than being better than Bama. Auburn will never be satisfied with a coach, long term, unless he can elevate the team higher than Bama. My only concern about Gus at Arkansas is the Gus haters. I would prefer a seasoned proven coach instead of a 2 to 3 year Wonderboy like Norvell unless they have a unique system like Gus had when he joined the college ranks. I hate to say it but I think Gus is our best option followed by Charlie Strong. As much as I hate admitting this, Arkansas leading the SEC like Bama is not likely. Wish we had never joined the SEC, it's taken my hope and dreams away.
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

grayhawg

Quote from: Rzback on November 14, 2017, 05:10:30 pm
Because Auburn is not satisfied with anything less than being better than Bama. Auburn will never be satisfied with a coach, long term, unless he can elevate the team higher than Bama. My only concern about Gus at Arkansas is the Gus haters. I would prefer a seasoned proven coach instead of a 2 to 3 year Wonderboy like Norvell unless they have a unique system like Gus had when he joined the college ranks. I hate to say it but I think Gus is our best option followed by Charlie Strong. As much as I hate admitting this, Arkansas leading the SEC like Bama is not likely. Wish we had never joined the SEC, it's taken my hope and dreams away.
I think Gus is a smokescreen like we've seen before in coach searches and Strong failed at Texas so no to Charlie.

Hawginj

Hawginj

Quote from: Rzback on November 14, 2017, 05:10:30 pm
hmm.... Are you serious Clark? You mean poor little ole Arkiesaw needs an experienced coach who wants lower expectations and better job security because having to win at Auburn is too hard? Is that what you are saying?

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Hawginj on November 14, 2017, 07:15:12 pm
You mean with Chizik's players?
Your question was "Has he won the SEC one time?" I was just answering it.

Hawginj

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 14, 2017, 07:31:09 pm
Your question was "Has he won the SEC one time?" I was just answering it.
wasn't dogging you I understand just being helpful

Pigdiana Jones

No thanks. I want no part of St. Gus the hypocrite
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Hawginj on November 14, 2017, 07:33:20 pm
wasn't dogging you I understand just being helpful
Cool. I'm still on the Mike Bike.

Cure

I'd see threads popping up all the time about Auburn is Thug U. Funny how things change.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Hawginj

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 14, 2017, 07:54:43 pm
Cool. I'm still on the Mike Bike.
Dilly Dilly! You know if Mike gets hired we ought to chant Dilly Dilly at the ball games after touch downs!

Hawginj

Quote from: Cure on November 14, 2017, 08:13:08 pm
I'd see threads popping up all the time about Auburn is Thug U. Funny how things change.
funny ain't it. I think alot of theses gussies are just now popping up

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Cure on November 14, 2017, 08:13:08 pm
Used to be anytime Auburn was brought up people made liberal use of $$$$$$$ signs too. Now nobody wants to sully Gus's name.