Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why the SEC has struggled to get elite QB play

Started by jbcarol, August 20, 2016, 08:27:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/ESPN_SEC/status/766743853743300608

QuoteSEC is perceived as the benchmark in college football. The league has won eight of the past 10 national championships. It's produced 47 first-round picks over the last five years, nearly twice as many as any other conference. And yet, when it comes to quarterbacks, the SEC has fallen behind the curve.

Of those 47 first-round picks, guess how many were quarterbacks? One. Johnny Manziel.

Cam Newton, last year's NFL MVP, is an oblivious success story. And Matthew Stafford has carved out a solid career.

Why hasn't the SEC produced more elite quarterbacks?

"I'm not sure," Florida coach Jim McElwain said. "I know those two you mentioned [Newton and Stafford] - they're pretty damn good."

But that doesn't really answer the question. And this year, outside of a couple spots, there is more uncertainty at the position than ever.

When ESPN ranked the top 100 players in the country earlier this month, only two SEC quarterbacks -- Chad Kelly and Joshua Dobbs --

Again, where are the elite quarterbacks in the SEC?

"That's a great question," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "I'm really not for sure."

SEC QBs play against SEC defenses, especially those playing in the SEC West.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net