Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tampering?

Started by ADavisTheGOAT, April 04, 2018, 02:55:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Quote from: HamIAm on April 05, 2018, 08:19:57 am
Democrat Gazette says they were released with no restrictions.

Thats unfortunate.  CJ fine, Hall should have been blocked from a scholarship release if he wishes to go to Memphis. 

It's a tough multimillion dollar business now, you don't compete in such cut throat by always being soft.

golfinpig

He may just want tp play for a coach that will teach him and make him better. Also, he may want to go where he can stay in the game for more than 3 or 4 minutes at a time.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Brass Knob on April 05, 2018, 06:26:48 am
That is just it. You are misunderstanding the term "block". Anderson cannot prevent Hall from transferring to Memphis. By "blocking" him or specifically excluding Memphis from the list of schools he can transfer to then all he is really doing is preventing him from being able to receive athletic related financial aid to Memphis this coming year. However, Hall can still transfer to Memphis and receive academic or governmental financial aid this year and then simply be on basketball scholarship the following year and suiting up in a Memphis uniform.

So, if Arkansas can prove tampering by Memphis then Anderson will not even have to "block" Memphis because the above rule will automatically apply to Memphis and Hall.

Either way, Anderson is not really stopping him going to Memphis. Again, it simply looks petty unless tampering is proven and then MA does not have to actually do anything other than letting the NCAA enforce their rule, a rule that is about to change anyways.

I fully understand the rule. And no it would not be automatic, it would be something we have to pursue. Penny Hardaway could have been sleeping in D Hall's spare bedroom the last month of the season, making him biscuits and gravy for breakfast every morning and if CMA gave him a non conditional release he would be free to go to Memphis.

I also knew it was highly, highly unlikely CMA would restrict him from going Memphis. It's not in the man's DNA to interfere with a young man's opportunities. I know his philosophy is one where if a player's heart and soul is not into being a Razorback he prefers he moves on and with that being the case he would not interfere with any possible opportunity or cause him financial hardship. It never surprises me when Mike takes the high road.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

azhog10

Quote from: k.c.hawg on April 05, 2018, 09:11:35 am
I fully understand the rule. And no it would not be automatic, it would be something we have to pursue. Penny Hardaway could have been sleeping in D Hall's spare bedroom the last month of the season, making him biscuits and gravy for breakfast every morning and if CMA gave him a non conditional release he would be free to go to Memphis.

I also knew it was highly, highly unlikely CMA would restrict him from going Memphis. It's not in the man's DNA to interfere with a young man's opportunities. I know his philosophy is one where if a player's heart and soul is not into being a Razorback he prefers he moves on and with that being the case he would not interfere with any possible opportunity or cause him financial hardship. It never surprises me when Mike takes the high road.
Mike clearly wants no blow back from future LR recruits. Blocking Memphis may cause that and send the wrong message. If I was Mike I would, but I can understand why he didn't.

Brass Knob

Quote from: azhog10 on April 05, 2018, 09:17:12 am
Mike clearly wants no blow back from future LR recruits. Blocking Memphis may cause that and send the wrong message. If I was Mike I would, but I can understand why he didn't.

The question is simple. What does MA gain by blocking Hall? Impressing some dudes on a message board by trying to look like a hard ass? There is absolutely nothing to gain for MA. However, there is the definite potential of blow-back. It is the smart move to simply restrict him from SEC teams and teams on future schedules. Other than that, you release him free and clear. 

Brass Knob

Quote from: k.c.hawg on April 05, 2018, 09:11:35 am

Hence, if Arkansas could prove tampering...

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Brass Knob on April 05, 2018, 09:28:37 am
Hence, if Arkansas could prove tampering...

We don't "have" to prove anything, we could simply restrict Memphis with no explanation. What you have to gain is letting the high school/aau coach know that we will not be his minor league affiliate where he can watch a guy play at a high level before making the determination that he wants to come take the player.

I don't know if the high school coach did tamper but if he did, taking the high road makes us look like chumps.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Brass Knob on April 05, 2018, 09:27:32 am
The question is simple. What does MA gain by blocking Hall? Impressing some dudes on a message board by trying to look like a hard ass? There is absolutely nothing to gain for MA. However, there is the definite potential of blow-back. It is the smart move to simply restrict him from SEC teams and teams on future schedules. Other than that, you release him free and clear.
How about showing both Memphis coaches and future recruits that we aren't going to let you pull some bull darn on us? Showing folks he has a backbone? Making it known he isn't a pushover?

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Brass Knob on April 05, 2018, 09:27:32 am

I could give a crap less about the teams we play getting the guy. Would personally love to see the new Arkansas classes blow his teams ass off the court several times. I do care about a team we often recruit against having a high school coach come bitch slap our program before he even gets his contract signed.

steveaustin69

Quote from: k.c.hawg on April 05, 2018, 09:59:20 am
We don't "have" to prove anything, we could simply restrict Memphis with no explanation. What you have to gain is letting the high school/aau coach know that we will not be his minor league affiliate where he can watch a guy play at a high level before making the determination that he wants to come take the player.

I don't know if the high school coach did tamper but if he did, taking the high road makes us look like chumps.

Well, at least Mike is clean and doing things the right way.

Illinihog

Seems like these 2 liked Snoops, Up in Smoke tour a lot more than they should.  Read what the kids said, they aren't leaving on their own.  These guys got kicked off because of other reasons. 

Brass Knob

Quote from: k.c.hawg on April 05, 2018, 09:59:20 am

So, essentially you prove nothing other than being petty and having some unproven vendetta against Memphis... And you do not stop Hall from going to Memphis if he wants to. There are a plethora of other financial aid options for one year and then he can be right back on a Memphis basketball scholarship.

MA is doing the smart and reasonable thing by simply telling him goodbye and good luck on wherever he ends up at.

This is just like Lomax getting out of his NLI to go to Memphis. Marshall did the same thing by giving Lomax an unconditional release and not blocking Memphis. Because Marshall and MA know if they ever want any chance of pulling a kid out of Memphis then they should not burn a bridge over players who are already leaving their programs. It is crying over spilled milk.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: ADavisTheGOAT on April 04, 2018, 02:55:53 pm
If DH goes to Memphis wouldn't that be considered tampering?

What will it be called if he ends up at UALR?

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Illinihog on April 05, 2018, 10:31:06 am
Seems like these 2 liked Snoops, Up in Smoke tour a lot more than they should.  Read what the kids said, they aren't leaving on their own.  These guys got kicked off because of other reasons. 

You are on the right track.

PRJ

Brass Knob

IF Penny talked to the kid a tampering case will be almost impossible to have stick.

A.) He talked to him prior to becoming the head coach, nothing against the rules there
B.) He talked to him after he became head coach but he had a previous relationship with the kid having coached him in AAU for a summer, so again I do not think that is breaking NCAA rules...

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Brass Knob on April 05, 2018, 02:58:14 pm
IF Penny talked to the kid a tampering case will be almost impossible to have stick.

A.) He talked to him prior to becoming the head coach, nothing against the rules there
B.) He talked to him after he became head coach but he had a previous relationship with the kid having coached him in AAU for a summer, so again I do not think that is breaking NCAA rules...

You don't have to have a tampering case "stick". You restrict the kid from going there, that is the U of A right for him signing a NLI and being on scholarship. This is not a criminal case!! Ket him pay his own damn way for a year or let the penny pay it. Screw everything else, you leave him 350 plus schools to go to. Mike is so Fng squeaky clean they would think it's early alzheimers.

26.2Hog

AlmaHog2011

Rumor is Halls mother had a close relationship with an AAU coach who did this deal.

BannerMountainMan

Isn't it weird that Hall posted a picture of his shiny new ride right after the spring break trip, then he deletes it after an hour and then a week later he transfers
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Kevin

Why wait till April to kick them off
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

onebadrubi

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on April 05, 2018, 10:17:22 pm
Isn't it weird that Hall posted a picture of his shiny new ride right after the spring break trip, then he deletes it after an hour and then a week later he transfers

First I've heard of this??

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 05, 2018, 10:37:16 pm
First I've heard of this??
thats what a few were saying the other day, heard it a couple of times
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Illinihog

Quote from: Kevin on April 05, 2018, 10:26:01 pm
Why wait till April to kick them off

Why kick a Senior off the team right as the postseason is starting?  Thomas got kicked off to send a message to the others to get their stuff together.  These 2 didn't take notice.  I'm not a Mike fan but if the stuff I've heard about weed use on this team then he has no choice but to clean it up. Go back and look at this season as a hole.  We had a lot of DNP coaches decisions. Suspensions without being Suspensions.  This team had locker room issues and maybe these 2 are part of the problem?

onebadrubi

Quote from: Illinihog on April 06, 2018, 06:14:03 am
Why kick a Senior off the team right as the postseason is starting?  Thomas got kicked off to send a message to the others to get their stuff together.  These 2 didn't take notice.  I'm not a Mike fan but if the stuff I've heard about weed use on this team then he has no choice but to clean it up. Go back and look at this season as a hole.  We had a lot of DNP coaches decisions. Suspensions without being Suspensions.  This team had locker room issues and maybe these 2 are part of the problem?

You recruit your problems?

Kevin

valid point.

seems Anderson is not quite the disciplinarian we are told he is. this locker room sounds a lot like pel's locker rooms.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

RacinRazorback

Just my take on things: if they don't want to be Razorbacks then to heck with them! Go on down the line and don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya! Bring on the next Razorbacks who want to be here, just thankful Gafford is back and pray the Garland gets cleared! We will be fine without these 2! WPS!!!!

Illinihog

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 06, 2018, 06:48:56 am
You recruit your problems?

I knew guys that went to college and had never touched booze or drugs before they got to campus.  Once they got to campus and fell into the wrong crowd they couldn't function with out it.  Maybe that's what happened here.  I'm not a Mike fan, but one thing we know is he hasn't really recruited many Turds.  So I doubt these 2 had red flags.

Illinihog

Quote from: RacinRazorback on April 06, 2018, 07:21:34 am
Just my take on things: if they don't want to be Razorbacks then to heck with them! Go on down the line and don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya! Bring on the next Razorbacks who want to be here, just thankful Gafford is back and pray the Garland gets cleared! We will be fine without these 2! WPS!!!!

I've heard Gafford is pretty irritated with this recent development.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Illinihog on April 06, 2018, 08:20:40 am
😂😂😂😂😂😂hahaha

k.c.hawg

Failed drug test punishment is not handed down or controlled by the head coach. Tests are administered and punishment handed down by the athletic department. It is not at the coach's discretion.

Illinihog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on April 06, 2018, 09:12:08 am
Failed drug test punishment is not handed down or controlled by the head coach. Tests are administered and punishment handed down by the athletic department. It is not at the coach's discretion.
I understand that, and that was my point.  Example.  Percy Harvin would sit out a random game vs. Georgia Southern with an Ankle Injury, but it was really a piss test suspension. 
The university may say this guy can't play, but Mike doesn't have to say why the guy didn't play.  And if you look this year we had many instances of that.

These guys aren't leaving on their own desire.  These guys are being told they are no longer welcome here. The thinking that Memphis is tampering is sexier than wanting to believe maybe these guys screwed up on their own.

azhog10

Quote from: Illinihog on April 06, 2018, 08:20:40 am
Sarcasm I assume? Gafford didn't shed any tears on these guys leaving.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Illinihog on April 06, 2018, 08:20:07 am
I knew guys that went to college and had never touched booze or drugs before they got to campus.  Once they got to campus and fell into the wrong crowd they couldn't function with out it.  Maybe that's what happened here.  I'm not a Mike fan, but one thing we know is he hasn't really recruited many Turds.  So I doubt these 2 had red flags.

You mean something like Hall being a vulnerable young player wanting to fit in and was put into a system that had the likes of Thomas who was trying to print money and had a drug problem???  Sure, I could see that but do kind of doubt Hall took part in any recreational things that he had not tried before.  I am not casting stones here, after all that is a part of college life and better to get it out of your system there, nothing wrong with it until it becomes a problem.

onebadrubi

Quote from: k.c.hawg on April 06, 2018, 09:12:08 am

I don't fully believe this.  many schools hide and make failed test disappear.  I am sure the coaches play a part in this

RealHog

Quote from: Brass Knob on April 05, 2018, 01:00:45 pm
So, essentially you prove nothing other than being petty and having some unproven vendetta against Memphis... And you do not stop Hall from going to Memphis if he wants to. There are a plethora of other financial aid options for one year and then he can be right back on a Memphis basketball scholarship.

MA is doing the smart and reasonable thing by simply telling him goodbye and good luck on wherever he ends up at.

This is just like Lomax getting out of his NLI to go to Memphis. Marshall did the same thing by giving Lomax an unconditional release and not blocking Memphis. Because Marshall and MA know if they ever want any chance of pulling a kid out of Memphis then they should not burn a bridge over players who are already leaving their programs. It is crying over spilled milk.

Let's go Tigers!

Illinihog

Quote from: azhog10 on April 06, 2018, 09:33:02 am
Sarcasm I assume? Gafford didn't shed any tears on these guys leaving.
Bingo