Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guard play and other thoughts

Started by -Blu, January 18, 2015, 12:39:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

Disappointing game today.  Only have 2 refs played a small part, but mostly Ole Miss was on fire and our defense was very very subpar.  But the biggest thing I've noticed is our lack of good guard play is really starting to show up.  I thought with us playing inside out through Portis and how well guys were shooting, we wouldn't need really great guards.  But, other than Qualls and Madden occasionally we aren't getting much from our guards.  We don't have a lock down defender at guard and we don't have a guard that can penetrate and get into the lane and breakdown zones. 

I'm not trying to bash kids, but I think Durham has had enough time, he hasn't played well enough to make the rotation IMO.  Beard needs to get a shot and go ahead and be moved to the starting lineup and given significant minutes every game.  And I like Manny Watkins, good kid hard worker, but his game is very limited.  I'd like to see Babb get some of his minutes his ceiling is so much higher. 

With all that said, I think we'll see adjustments in the lineup and we'll bounce back and win the next 3 and get back on pace.  I'm predicting a Madden, Bell, Qualls, Williams, Portis starting lineup.  With Watkins, Beard, and Babb coming off the bench for guards.  I think Durham is going to need more time to adjust to D1 level.

Kevin

playing against zone, is starting to limit portis' touches. which means we don't get to play inside out.

anytime ole miss, went man, we tore it up.

going to have to figure out something on defense, and how to get portis the ball vs a zone
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

-Blu

Quote from: Kevin on January 18, 2015, 12:44:39 am
playing against zone, is starting to limit portis' touches. which means we don't get to play inside out.

anytime ole miss, went man, we tore it up.

going to have to figure out something on defense, and how to get portis the ball vs a zone

guards gotta be able to penetrate to break it down.  That's what teams do to our zone.  If we had that 1 guard, like a BJ young type of guy that can penetrate and get to the rim at will, this would be like a 1 loss team right now.  I can't wait until Whitt gets on campus.