Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changes for Dayton game

Started by -Blu, December 09, 2014, 01:34:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rawker

I think you guys are all nuts for not heralding Watkins more.  He's been a huge part of several 18-4 type runs - he handles the ball WAY more solidly than He Who Shall Not Be Named (who I've been arguing for 2 seasons has no business ever handling the ball....and finally MA seemed to agree somewhat after the last game) - he seems to be a solidifying force on the perimeter - and he makes fundamentally sound moves to the bucket.  I boldly argue that if you exchange HWSNBN and his minutes for Watkins, the victories would have been easier, one loss would have been a victory, and another loss would not have started out in such debilitating fashion.  Mind you, he was part of the crew that helped the Hogs whittle the ISU lead into a real game until HWSNBN promptly walked at half court during a possession that could have cut it to nine.  I vote more Watkins!

hogsanity

Quote from: Rawker on December 09, 2014, 11:55:16 pm
I think you guys are all nuts for not heralding Watkins more. 

Watkins is alright if he plays with Bell and Qualls because they still have scorers on the floor. When he is in with some combination of Kingsely, Beard, Durham, Williams, there is no offensive threat. Teams just dare Watkins to shoot, and he won't. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Boarmonger

Quote from: Razorback2010 on December 09, 2014, 02:49:09 pm
Let Durham run point and move Madden to off guard.  Bring Bell in off the bench. 
Or let Durham run point and bring Madden in off the bench.

This.  Ky and Bell are the shooters.  Put them in that position.  I also like the Hi_Lo possibilities with Kingsly in instead of Harris.  Not really the offense MA likes to run though.

-Blu

Quote from: b-ball coach on December 09, 2014, 10:30:50 pm
Why don't we all support our team & let our coaching staff figure out the rotations and minutes. If they can't win, at the end of season it will be a mute point.  :razorback:
It can be hard not to get negative- but let's try.  We could have lost 2 in a row at home to directional schools #michigan.

You can support the team and be positive, while still giving your opinion and discussing problems the team is having. 

Kevin

Quote from: -Blu on December 10, 2014, 10:28:00 am
You can support the team and be positive, while still giving your opinion and discussing problems the team is having. 

you can??? just kidding
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

spahoopsfan

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on December 09, 2014, 04:09:23 pm
I'd say play Thompson some meaningful minutes, but see how Kingsley is barely playing that probably won't happen.

I like Durham starting and Bell as a gunner off the bench. 

I would like to see Thompson play more times, especially if Portis and Kingsley played together.  We need someone that has post moves and can defend better. I don't agree with Durham for Bell.  Bell is still the best shooter on the team and as with any shooter if you only get to take two or three shots spaced out over 10-12 minutes like he has had the first half of the last two games you can't get into a rhythm.

Biggus Piggus

I keep reading mo-rons on here claiming that Watkins cannot score. He is shooting 77% from 2-point range. His 13 2-point baskets are more than Madden, Bell, Beard, Durham and Babb have scored. Give me more Watkins. Play him down low like Corey Beck, or Moncrief.
[CENSORED]!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 10, 2014, 12:44:24 pm
I keep reading mo-rons on here claiming that Watkins cannot score. He is shooting 77% from 2-point range. His 13 2-point baskets are more than Madden, Bell, Beard, Durham and Babb have scored. Give me more Watkins. Play him down low like Corey Beck, or Moncrief.

Come on Biggus.  Please don't put Watkins in the same sentence with Beck or Moncrief.

He's solid, but other than bringing some basketball smarts to the floor, perhaps less chaos, I'm not really sure what he does for us.

But don't take that wrong, sometimes we surely need his stabilizing/settling effects on this team.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 10, 2014, 01:00:22 pm
Come on Biggus.  Please don't put Watkins in the same sentence with Beck or Moncrief.

He's solid, but other than bringing some basketball smarts to the floor, perhaps less chaos, I'm not really sure what he does for us.

But don't take that wrong, sometimes we surely need his stabilizing/settling effects on this team.

That style. He needs to hover around the baseline and get junk rebounds/scores. Though he has shown an ability to drive.
[CENSORED]!

Champs04

I love Manny but did you see his free throws during the game? He has to have a couple of people on the floor that can score for him to be able to help us.

Atlhogfan1

Where is Miles?  Some predicting some big things for him. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 10, 2014, 03:20:09 pm

Still baffles me.

Biggus Piggus

Injured. Back problems.
[CENSORED]!

rude1

He is shooting that because he plays within himself and has taken mostly layup drives to the basket. I am not saying that is a bad thing, it's just the more minutes he plays the scouting reports are going to focus on taking those drives away and making him make jump shots, something he hasn't shown he can do.

rude1

This is a good question. He was billed as a defense first guy. On a team that's not playing defense very well, it would seem he would be primed to come in and show how to lock someone down.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 10, 2014, 05:29:59 pm
Injured. Back problems.

That explains it.  Haven't heard about them. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

porkinsons disease

Probably no changes. We will beat a tough Dayton team because we are playing in BWA and that will be enough for everyone to believe things are good enough. The problems will resurface at a later date. Lather,rinse,repeat. No reason to expect change now.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

lefty08

This entire thread made me LOL
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

masshog2412

My only problem with beard and bell together is a fairly small 1-2 guard lineup and other teams guards shoot right over the top of them ala fortson/Clarke..if we pair Madden with beard and bell with babb we have decent length.  Then have Durham spell beard or bell if he can start to knockdown open j's...jmo

Rawker

THANK YOU!!!!! WOOOOOORD!  I don't know what people are seeing.  It's like the way I think about almost ALL football coaches....they're not frickin' rocket scientists that's for sure, and there is probably a rocket scientist standing next to each of them with a clipboard saying, "Coach, I'm showing that if we put Smith in the team averages 4.2 yards per play and 2.3 yards per play without him in."  "Yeah, but I like Johnson in this situation....just feels right."  To the point, I'm not sure what you coaches out there are NOT seeing in Watkins, but look at what happens STATISTICALLY with Watkins in the game: Hogs turnovers go down, opposition turnovers go up, the runs that everyone awaits with the usual starters in finally occur when Watkins comes in.  His moves to the basket are fundamentally sound, avoiding resistance, as opposed to worrying more about drawing fouls than making shots, and as Biggue says he can certainly shoot a 3 when needed - he just makes better decisions as to when that is.  During the first several games, especially after SMU, I was asking myself why the Hell he didn't come of the bench some last year.  He's good to go and I'm convinced he may be the lone person on the team that understands the game that Anderson wants to play in the same way that his UAB and Mizzou guards did.  There I ranted my Watkins Love and I don't care who's embarrassed about it!
Again....Watkins / Beard / Qualls / Portis / Kingsley.  Those should be the starters at this point, and use Madden sparingly.

gmarv

this Dayton game is gonna get us back on track were gonna be focused and play very well.

Youngsta71701

December 12, 2014, 05:55:44 am #71 Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 06:12:38 am by Youngsta71701
Starting Lineup:
PG- Durham
SG- Madden
SF- Qualls
PF- Harris
C- Portis

Bench:
PG- Beard
SG- Bell
SF- Watkins
PF- Williams
C- Kingsley

G- Babb
F- Miles
PF/C- Thompson

But I also would like to see Portis and Kingsley play together a little more.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Hawg Red

December 13, 2014, 08:51:24 pm #72 Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 12:04:30 pm by Hawg Red
Quote from: -Blu on December 09, 2014, 01:34:13 pm
I'd be shocked if some lineup adjustments aren't made after the 2 slow starts in a row we've had.  My guess is Durham will move into the starting lineup for Bell, and Madden will move to the off-guard spot.  I think we're going to see a huge boost in minutes for Babb, and Beard's minutes will go up some as well.  Bell and Madden, I think will both see a drop in their minutes.

Good call, -Blu.

Wasn't exactly like you called it but changes were made and Durham was put in the startling lineup.