Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bruce Pearl: The journey from Rocky Top to The Plain

Started by jbcarol, February 13, 2014, 12:58:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Evan Daniels
‏@EvanDaniels
Austin Wiley, Scout's No. 13 player in 2017, breaks down commitment to Auburn | Story: http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1591672-five-star-austin-wiley-commits-auburn ...

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 20m20 minutes ago

#Auburn opens basketball practice with renewed optimism: http://ow.ly/SXvuc 

QuoteAuburn men's basketball team held its first official practice of the 2015-16 season Friday night as head coach Bruce Pearl aims to bounce back from a 15-20 mark last season.

"I thought it was competitive," said Pearl, now in his second season on the Plains. "I think the interesting thing is going to be where we're going to go from here. We have a nice foundation built, we're competing, how quickly can I move with seven new players? That will be the challenge over the next month."

Among the newcomers are transfers Tyler Harris and Kareem Canty, who are both expected to compete for starting jobs at forward and point guard, respectively.

Pearl's highly-touted freshman class, which ranked 19th nationally by 247Sports, includes the top-ranked JUCO prospect T.J. Dunans, elite forwards Horace Spencer and Danjel Purifoy as well as guards Bryce Brown and New Williams.

"Ask me in a couple weeks how much this young group grows," Pearl said...

jbcarol

jbcarol

Auburn is projected to have Pearl's first three recruiting classes be ranked in the Top 20

QuoteSince the recognition was started in 1977, Auburn has had two McDonald's High School All-America selections (Frank Ford in 1983 and [the late] Korvotney Barber in 2005) In the 110-year history of Auburn basketball no coach has ever had two on the same roster. Pearl has the chance to do that with the Tigers 2017-18 roster with the commitments of Mustapha Heron and Austin Wiley.

"When you talk about Auburn basketball brand, I don't know what that is yet," Pearl said. "We don't have a buzz. What we have is the ability and opportunity to find kids to build that brand."

jbcarol

jbcarol

Wesley Sinor ‏@WesleySinor 3h3 hours ago

Auburn fans will receive actual "Pearl Jam" at Thursday night's pep rally @AuburnMBB

jbcarol

SEC Sports ‏@SEC 6m6 minutes ago

Chatting with Bruce Pearl of @AuburnMBB now. #SECMBB

Bruce Pearl on #SEC basketball: "It's fast, it's athletic, it's physical and it's on the rise."

Pearl: "As far as Auburn students are concerned, it's our responsibility to give them something to cheer about."

Pearl: "I really appreciate how hard our kids played last year. I welcome higher expectations."

Pearl: "With only four scholarship players returning, there's an awful lot on the coaching staff to get this team ready to play."

Pearl: "Cinmeon Bowers dropped about 25 pounds and is playing faster and more under control."

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 14h14 hours ago

Greetings from Auburn. Here for Tigers' practice. Year two of the Bruce Pearl era.

Auburn's Tahj Shamsid-Deen (shoulder) could miss the next month, Bruce Pearl told @CBSSports. Potential starter. Averaged 6.1 PPG in 14-15

Story: http://cbsprt.co/1N9le8z

Danjel Purifoy is Auburn's most talented player. And it's not close. Freak athlete with a tight handle. Can play point forward in a pinch.

SEC-nugget: Auburn's best lineup may be a dual PG attack with Kareem Canty off the ball. But will Tigers have two healthy point guards?

Bruce Pearl with a minimum of three new starters in year two. Could be four if Tahj Shamsid-Deen is out. Tough sledding in non-conference?

New Williams could be the sleeper in Auburn's recruiting class. 6-2 lefty has deep range. Effortless shooter. Could be valuable versus zone.

Early prediction on Auburn's starting five: Kareem Canty, T.J. Dunans, Danjel Purifoy, Tyler Harris, Cinmeon Bowers.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 14m14 minutes ago

Bruce Pearl talks about Auburn's strong finish to last season, the state of the SEC, and more. A Q & A @CBSSports: http://cbsprt.co/1NRAVzE

QuoteCBS Sports: You've been able to secure the commitments of several elite prospects here at Auburn. What's the pitch to these players when you're trying to sell a program that doesn't boast a rich basketball tradition?

Pearl: We can't talk about Charles Barkley and Chuck Person. We can't talk about Sonny Smith and Cliff Ellis. We can't talk about Chris Porter. There are some that definitely stand out, but right now the biggest pitch is when it comes to intercollegiate athletics Auburn is a big time place. We've got big time football. Our softball program was in the final three -- golf is number one in the country right now. We've got a big time athletic program and that's what I'm selling. We've got all the facilities -- the best dorms in the country. We've got Dr. James Andrews -- the finest orthopedic surgeon in the country. We don't have a cafeteria -- we've got a wellness kitchen. It's unbelievable.

But on the basketball court, we've got me, my system and my relationships with the players. I coach them hard and I love them hard and I've got The Rifleman (associate head coach Chuck Person). I've got a guy that was on Gregg Popovich's bench and Phil Jackson's bench. He won two rings. He coached Kobe Bryant...

jbcarol

Tom Green ‏@AUBlog 9h9 hours ago

Auburn holds off hot-shooting Indianapolis in overtime http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/basketball/men/article_a2d555f6-843e-11e5-82a0-e7d8a3ef26e5.html ...

QuoteBruce Pearl warned his team about Indianapolis. Auburn's second-year coach wasn't just providing lip service, either.

It took everything Auburn had — and then some — to avoid an upset at the hands of the feisty Division II program in the team's preseason finale at Auburn Arena. The Tigers staved off a hot-shooting performance from the Greyhounds, Kareem Canty sank four free throws to ice it late, and Auburn defeated Indianapolis, 114-109, in overtime on Thursday night...

jbcarol

Matthew Stevens ‏@matthewcstevens 13h13 hours ago

Auburn's Bruce Pearl on eligibility of forward Danjel Purifoy: "there is nothing new". Currently he isn't eligible to play vs. UAB Friday.

Pearl confirms during 'Tiger Talk' that the issue w/ Purifoy is with his ACT score. NCAA Eligibility Center working with ACT Testing Center.

Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl: UAB probably has "the most talented roster in the state of Alabama."

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 49m49 minutes ago

One of the biggest recruits in #Auburn basketball history has signed on the dotted line – Mustapha Heron http://ow.ly/UzRtF

jbcarol

James Crepea ‏@JamesCrepea  18m18 minutes ago
Final: Auburn 75 UAB 74

This is 10th sellout in Auburn Arena history. Bruce Pearl has 5 in 18 home games, all in last 9. It took Tony Barbee 47 games for 5 sellouts

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Fran Fraschilla ‏@franfraschilla 5h5 hours ago

Heading to Auburn for Colorado matchup as part of ESPN's 24-hour Tip-off Marathon Tuesday. Marshall transfer, PG Kareem Canty, can play.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Twitter Time Lapse:

John Zenor ‏@jzenor 3 hours ago

That basketball school Auburn is putting on a pretty good show. Canty has 19, Auburn leading Colorado 44-29, 3:47 1H

John Zenor ‏@jzenor 2 hours ago

Auburn has gone really cold here, trailing 79-68, 7:10 left. Sean White limps off the bench, a la Willis Reed back in the day.

Tom Green ‏@AUBlog 1 hour ago

FINAL: Auburn falls to Colorado, 91-84, after leading by 15 in first half. Tigers now 1-1 on the year.

jbcarol

Dana Sulonen ‏@DanaSulonen  2h2 hours ago
Bruce Pearl in the house. Shaking hands and kissing babies.

jbcarol

James Crepea ‏@JamesCrepea 6h6 hours ago

AMRT: T.J. Dunans leads on both ends of the floor to power Auburn past Georgia Southern
http://bit.ly/1I5kCe7 

QuoteT.J. Dunans was a threat on both ends of the floor for Auburn on Friday.

The junior college transfer tied for a team-high with 15 points and added five assists, three blocks, two steals and a rebound to help fuel a 92-62 Auburn trouncing of Georgia Southern at Auburn Arena.

"I thought he was a hard cover," Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said. "That's the kind of stat line I think that you can look for T.J. Dunans. He's sort of a stat sheet stuffer."

jbcarol

Player's Coach:

Tom Green ‏@AUBlog  Nov 25
Bruce Pearl is giving players the rest of today and Thanksgiving off. Players need to be back tomorrow night before Friday game vs. NW State

jbcarol

Tom Green ‏@AUBlog  22h22 hours ago
Auburn looking to build off strong defensive effort vs. Northwestern State http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/basketball/men/auburn-looking-to-build-off-strong-defensive-effort-vs-northwestern/article_c69cbe5a-946c-11e5-8da7-a30fb8f08d49.html ...

QuoteAuburn (2-1) is hoping to feast in a different sense on Friday when it hosts Northwestern State (1-4) at 7:30 p.m. at Auburn Arena. Following a strong second-half defensive effort in last week's win against Georgia Southern, the Tigers are looking to build off that defensively against the Demons.
"We guarded throughout the possession, and I hope we can build on that," Pearl said Wednesday. "Georgia Southern was one of those games I wish we played another one right afterwards because it was something to build on, and a week later, I hope we can still build on it defensively."
Auburn played lights-out defensively in the second half against Georgia Southern last week. The Tigers limited the Eagles to just 31.1 percent shooting for the game, largely due to a lockdown defense during the final 20 minutes.

jbcarol

Tom Green ‏@AUBlog 11h11 hours ago

FINAL: Auburn eases to a 119-81 win against Northwestern State

Bruce Pearl says he's "really concerned" for TSD, who will likely see Dr. James Andrews this weekend while he's in town for football

Jay G. Tate ‏@JayGTate 10h10 hours ago

Bruce Pearl on Tahj Shamsid-Deen's shoulder: "I'm really concerned."

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 1m1 minute ago

Auburn guard Tahj Shamsid-Deen out 10-14 days with shoulder injury http://ow.ly/VhFnK 

jbcarol

jbcarol

Wesley Sinor ‏@WesleySinor Nov 30

Bruce Pearl on Coastal Carolina: "They're not as good as they were a year ago." http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2015/11/live_updates_auburns_bruce_pea_1.html ...

Quote-- On playing at Coastal Carolina, coached by former Auburn head coach Cliff Ellis:
"They have a great crowd, it's a hostile environment, and it's a great opportunity for us." Not a revenge game, but important as Auburn tries to "become relevant."

-- Pearl believes the winner will have 60 or 70 points. Aiming to play well early on the road.

-- "Cliff loves it. He's a coach's coach. He does a great job. He loves to change defenses and loves to try and trick you. He's been doing it a long time and tricks a lot of them."

-- In loss to Coastal Carolina last season, Pearl says the Tigers guarded well but missed a lot of shots. Pearl says it's important to hit shots on the perimeter.

-- Pearl says Coastal is not as good as it was a season ago.

jbcarol

Auburn Gold Mine ‏@AUGoldMine Dec 2

Auburn hits the road, hangs on to beat Coastal Carolina. Quick game story: http://auburntigers.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/120215aaa.html ...

QuoteAuburn didn't have injured point guard Tahj Shamsid-Deen for its first road game of the season, so the Tigers turned to just about everybody else Wednesday night.

Tyler Harris led six Tigers in double figures as Auburn beat Coastal Carolina 81-78 in Conway, S.C., holding off a furious Chanticleer rally in the final minutes.

Auburn led by 18 with 10:20 left. The Tigers led by one with 24.4 seconds remaining.

Auburn improved to 4-1. Coastal Carolina, coached by former Auburn coach Cliff, Ellis, fell to 3-4. Ellis and the Chanticleers beat the Tigers 58-54 in his return to Auburn last season.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Tom Green ‏@AUBlog Dec 9

Bruce Pearl expecting Danjel Purifoy's eligibility issue to be resolved by January (via @DanaSulonen) http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/basketball/men/bruce-pearl-expecting-danjel-purifoy-s-eligibility-issue-to-be/article_ad6a3f4c-9ea4-11e5-bc70-3f4df1e59eb6.html ...

Pearl: Thinks Danjel Purifoy situation will be figured out by first of year. Doesn't lean either way of which way it will go.

Pearl very outspoken about thoughts on one and dones and integrity of both games...

jbcarol

James Crepea ‏@JamesCrepea 7h7 hours ago

Auburn struggling with big leads, 5 things to watch against Mercer
http://bit.ly/1TM7RLz 

QuoteAfter falling in overtime to Middle Tennessee State despite a halftime lead, Auburn is still learning how to win.

Auburn (4-2) has blown leads in several games this season, including in losses to Colorado and MTSU, when they held a 38-29 lead at the break.

Kareem Canty scored 28 points by making eight three-pointer, including the game-tying shot with 1.7 seconds left to send the game to overtime. The junior guard couldn't believe Auburn rallied to send the game to overtime, but it was not enough on Saturday.

"It wasn't even supposed to get there," said Canty, who also had seven assists. "It just happened. We (were) lucky to hit them kind of shots to go into overtime. Them I'm (thinking), 'Alright we'll turn it around in overtime and get this win.' But we never got the stops that we needed to get the win."

Auburn will look to get back in the win column Tuesday night against Mercer (8-1), which is off its best start in program history and will vie for the Southern Conference title.

As Bruce Pearl tries to build Auburn's basketball program to respectability the Tigers have to win home games, especially against mid-major foes.

"We got to win the ones you can win; there's no question," Pearl said. "We're trying to exceed those expectations. Teams that are picked 10th out of 14 (in a conference) don't play in postseason. We're trying to finish our season where we can qualify for postseason, that's our expectation.

"Therefore beating a team like Mercer, who has a really good chance to go to the NCAA Tournament out of the SoCon ... it's a chance for us to beat another tournament team. These are resume builders, they are, and you got to have enough math to get there. It's an important one."

jbcarol

Tom Green ‏@AUBlog 39m39 minutes ago

Pearl offering to buy"AUtlive"  shirts for the media to promote the fight against cancer -- if we promise to wear them for Tennessee game

jbcarol

Auburn Gold Mine
‏@AUGoldMine
Auburn's Tahj Shamsid-Deen has reinjured his shoulder and won't return to today's game. Xavier leads 39-30 at halftime

Tom Green ‏@AUBlog  17m17 minutes ago
Tom Green Retweeted Auburn Gold Mine
I imagine Pearl will be having a heartfelt conversation with Tahj soon about his future. Said as much last time.

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello 5h5 hours ago

Xavier 85, Auburn 61 (Final) | Auburn's four-game road trip starts with a blowout loss.

5 things Auburn learned from its blowout at No. 10 Xavier http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2015/12/5_things_auburn_learned_from_blowout_at_xavier.html ...

QuoteAuburn's frontcourt was exposed

The fundamentals, the pivots, the drives to the basket. It was all so much better than what you usually see from a "normal" team. The Musketeers are talented, experienced and it show sin the frontcourt.

Auburn's Tyler Harris fouled out with more than 12 minutes remaining

Meanwhile, Auburn couldn't get enough clean passes into the post (Xavier had 10 steals). Cinmeon Bowers picked up four fouls early in the second half and he settled for three (!) 3-point attempts beyond the arc. That's not his game, even though he hit his first attempt.

Auburn doesn't have the depth right now to compete against teams as deep as Xavier in the frontcourt.

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello 4h4 hours ago

Bruce Pearl didn't sound happy with Xavier after the game. From Pearl's interview on Auburn radio:

jbcarol

Matthew Stevens ‏@matthewcstevens 2h2 hours ago

BLOG (w/VIDEO): Bruce Pearl: Auburn G Tahj Shamsid-Deen (shoulder) "may require surgery" - http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburnauthority/2015/12/21/pearl-shamsid-deens-shoulder-may-require-surgery/77696780/ ...

QuoteAUBURN – After his latest shoulder injury, Tahj Shamsid-Deen will be out of action "for a while and may require surgery", according to Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl.

During his Diamond Head Classic media conference in Honolulu, Hawaii, Pearl said an MRI will done and team surgeon Dr. James Andrews will take another extensive look at Shamsid-Deen's shoulder when the Tigers arrive back in Auburn after the tournament in Hawaii.

"I know that this time around we are going to make sure Dr. (James) Andrews takes a good, hard look at it," Pearl said Sunday night. "They are going to a MRI and see where it is at. It is obviously coming out way to easily. He is probably going to be out for a while and may require surgery."

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello 12h12 hours ago

Instant Analysis: Harvard forces Auburn into its worst performance of season

Updated our Instant Analysis on Auburn's loss to Harvard with reaction from Bruce Pearl: http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2015/12/alcoms_instant_analysis_harvard_auburn.html ...

QuoteAuburn never led and Harvard never let up.

The Crimson (5-6) shut down the Tigers (6-4) on defense and rode a hot shooting performance in the first half to pick up a 69-51 victory Tuesday in the semifinals of the Diamond Head Classic.

Auburn will face the loser of Hawaii-Oklahoma at 5:30 p.m. CT on Christmas Day.

It's the worst performance of the season

There's ugly and then there's what happened Tuesday in Honolulu.

"We can not slop through our stuff and score baskets and we slopped through our stuff right from the very beginning," Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said on the school's post-game radio show.

Auburn recorded season lows in points (51), field-goal percentage (30 percent), field goals (19), first-half scoring (29) and second-half scoring (22). Credit Harvard for messing with Auburn's offensive rhythm, especially sharp-shooter Kareem Canty, but this can't be encouraging for Bruce Pearl following an RPI-building victory against New Mexico on Monday.

Auburn was deflated in the second half. Canty was so distraught, he wouldn't move from the floor after missing a shot as a teammate helped him up after several seconds sitting motionless on the floor. In the end, the Tigers missed 17 of their last 18 shots.

"Part of the problem offensively is the team doesn't pay attention to detail," Pearl said.

Auburn needs to rebound -- on and off the floor...

jbcarol

James Crepea ‏@JamesCrepea 11h11 hours ago

Pearl: "We did not make it a Merry Christmas....I think we represented ourselves pretty well." Says team rdy for SEC
http://bit.ly/1TkFF2x

Auburn will open SEC play against Tennessee on Jan. 2 at 6-5 after a 1-2 trip in the Diamond Head Classic.

QuoteFINAL: AUBURN 67 HAWAI'I 79

-- Hawai'i closes game on 10-0 run and 19-4 run in final 6:42. Auburn was 1 for its last 10 from the field.

-- Horace Spencer fouls out with 5:29 to go. Bruce Pearl has clearly had enough of the officiating and gets called for a technical foul.

Auburn is a 9.5-point underdog today, according to VegasInsider.com. (Did not cover)

jbcarol

Matthew Stevens ‏@matthewcstevens 17h17 hours ago

I checked with Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl today and no updates at all about either Danjel Purifoy or Trayvon Reed's status.

jbcarol

Matthew Stevens ‏@matthewcstevens 2h2 hours ago

Bruce Pearl on Tennessee: "Tennessee game means a little bit more because they fired me." #MGMAuburn

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello  4h4 hours ago
Auburn is a 1.5-point favorite against Tennessee in its SEC opener Saturday, according to Vegas Insider.

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey  4h4 hours ago Opelika, AL
Final: Auburn 83, Tennessee 77. Vols (7-6) host Florida Wednesday night at TBA.

Today's win over Tennessee gave Bruce Pearl a win over every SEC team. So there's that.

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 47m47 minutes ago

Switching gears to basketball: 5 things you need to know before #Auburn plays No. 22 #SouthCarolina http://ow.ly/WF8U8

QuoteInjuries are mounting and Bruce Pearl needs more players to step up in the absence of early-season starters.

The Auburn coach is asking a lot as his Tigers (7-5, 1-0 SEC) face No. 22 South Carolina (13-0) tonight at 6 o'clock on the SEC Network.

At least four guards will miss time tonight and another, TJ Lang, will come off the bench after suffering from concussion-like symptoms in a win against Tennessee on Saturday.

One of the players who will have to step up is guard Bryce Brown, who has scored 20 points in each of the last two games...

Here are five things we're watching tonight at Auburn Arena:

1. Auburn wins against ranked opponents are rare

This isn't your typical South Carolina team, and though many will argue the schedule hasn't been up to snuff, let's not discount how difficult it is to be one of only three two teams remaining undefeated in the entire country.

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello 10s10 seconds ago

No. 22 South Carolina 81, Auburn 69 (Final)

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello 18h18 hours ago

When asked why Danjel Purifoy wasn't at the game tonight watching on bench as he usually does, Bruce Pearl didn't provide an explanation.

jbcarol

Wesley Sinor ‏@WesleySinor 8h8 hours ago

.@ALdotcom's Instant Analysis: Auburn's depth a major issue as Missouri dominates http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2016/01/instant_analysis_auburn_missou.html ...

QuoteMissouri dominated Auburn for a 76-61 win in Columbia Saturday night, as Auburn dropped to 7-7 overall and 1-2 in SEC play.

The Tigers will return to the court Tuesday night in Nashville to play Vanderbilt.

This was an ugly one

Auburn turned in its second-worst shooting performance at 37.3 percent from the floor and 30 percent from long range. If not for a 13-2 run by the visitors in garbage time, Missouri could have handed Auburn its biggest loss of the year.

"I'm disappointed," said Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl. "I thought we had an opportunity, I thought we had better preparation. The execution, again, wasn't there. The first six or seven things that we called, we had somebody in the wrong spot. It's just really disappointing that we can't make the adjustments and changes and the things we need to do and have our guys locked in and focused."

Missouri entered the game 0-7 against Power 5 teams and ranked 257th nationally in roster height, but outrebounded Auburn 41-34 on the boards.

Depth was a major issue

The most glaring statistic of the night: Missouri's bench outscored Auburn's 40-5 in this game. With three guards out, Auburn's not going to win many games if the bench is unable to contribute.

The only Auburn reserve to score was Cinmeon Bowers, who shot 2-for-9 to finish with five points and seven rebounds. Missouri reserves Tramaine Isabell and Namon Wright combined for 22 points.

"40-5... That's just pretty darn enormous," Pearl said.

jbcarol

Matthew Stevens ‏@matthewcstevens Jan 9

In one of the more disappointing efforts of the 2015-16 season for Auburn, Missouri defeats Auburn 76-61. Auburn moves to 7-7, 1-2 in SEC.

Auburn (7-7, 1-2 in SEC) will travel Tuesday night to Vanderbilt (8-7, 0-3) for a 8 p.m. tip on ESPNU.

Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl on radio post-game: "We didn't play very well. I thought we had better preparation than that."

Pearl: "In the first seven plays called, we had guys in the wrong spot in six different plays. Our offensive execution is lacking."

Pearl: "We lack playmakers. T.J. Dunans was probably my best playmaker and Tahj Shamsid-Deen was probably my second-best playmaker."

jbcarol

Adam Sparks ‏@AdamSparks  22m22 minutes ago
ESPNU announcers in studio, not at arena, for Auburn-Vandy game. I'm told that's the first time ever for a game at Memorial.

James Crepea ‏@JamesCrepea  15m15 minutes ago
Second straight game Auburn has shot under 30 percent in the first half. Tigers trail Commodores 39-22

jbcarol

Tom Green ‏@AUBlog  3m3 minutes ago
Auburn falls to Vandy, 75-57, for third straight loss.