Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ronnie to nba?

Started by dmac5, March 06, 2006, 07:39:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dmac5

on espn.com they did a mock nba draft of the lottery and they had ronnie going 8th overall to boston. that doesnt look good for us i dont know to many guys that decide to stay when they would be a top 10 pick.

pbjones81

I dont see him leaving, unless stan goes.  No inside info, just a hunch...

dmhog v2.0

ESPN ran a mock draft. He's gone for sure. It's a done deal. Let's all panic.

Hollywood_HOGan

if he's a top ten pick he probably should go.

I think we'll be just fine though.

Might take some time to adjust without Ronnie but we should be fine with all we have coming back and what we have coming in with Weems, Washington, and Welsh and Beverly or Ramar.

mutdog

If Ronnie does go we need to find a new point guard.  IMO, the difference in winning and losing has been Brewer at point guard for the last 5 games.  I can't remember the stats on turnovers, but, it has been significant.

jlmnjem

Quote from: usarmyhogfan on March 06, 2006, 07:44:59 pm
Ronnie stay's to get his degree,he learn's from his father's mistake.

Actually, his dad is in favor of him leaving early and taking advantage of his current draft status.

Boss Hogg

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: jlmnjem on March 06, 2006, 08:13:09 pm

Actually, his dad is in favor of him leaving early and taking advantage of his current draft status.

Did he tell you this yesterday? Because I talked to him this afternoon and heard different. But you and I both know how indecisive he gets this time of year. By the way, he says hello.

jlmnjem

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on March 06, 2006, 08:15:56 pm

Did he tell you this yesterday? Because I talked to him this afternoon and heard different. But you and I both know how indecisive he gets this time of year. By the way, he says hello.

I was standing right next to him when he said it Wednesday night at BWA.

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: jlmnjem on March 06, 2006, 08:32:09 pm

Well, I heard differently today. We were in the salad bar line at Wendy's and overheard him saying he wanted him to stay and get his degree.

RedSatinHog

Didn't Ron Brewer play out his eligibility at the U of A?  I am almost certain that both he and Marvin Delph were seniors in '78.  I know they played against each other at Barton Coliseum in the State title game four years earlier.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Tater Salad

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on March 06, 2006, 08:43:01 pm

Well, I heard differently today. We were in the salad bar line at Wendy's and overheard him saying he wanted him to stay and get his degree.

will be moved to the RumorMill in 3, 2, 1,....

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: Tater Salad on March 06, 2006, 08:45:37 pm
Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on March 06, 2006, 08:43:01 pm

will be moved to the RumorMill in 3, 2, 1,....

Yeah, but I'm joking and the other dude is lying. No real rumors here.

Fletch

Wow, I thought I saw him at Best Buy talking to the Geek Squad about how he thinks Ronnie will graduate. (sarcasm)
I feel like $100

devildog

Funniest junk I've read all night ;D

HogJoeHelm

the same ESPN mock draft 2 weeks ago had Ronnie at a 6 overall.  Maybe his stock is going down a little.

jlmnjem

QuoteYeah, but I'm joking and the other dude is lying. No real rumors here.

What makes you think I'm lying? He came up to the suite I was in at halftime of the MSU game. He was talking to a friend of his, who happens to be a friend of mine. I have no idea if he meant what he said, but I heard what he said.

yraciv

Quote from: dmac5 on March 06, 2006, 07:39:16 pm
on espn.com they did a mock nba draft of the lottery and they had ronnie going 8th overall to boston. that doesnt look good for us i dont know to many guys that decide to stay when they would be a top 10 pick.
inside info from beginning of season; said he would only go if he was a top 5 pick

1836hog

Quote from: jlmnjem on March 06, 2006, 09:08:30 pm

What makes you think I'm lying? He came up to the suite I was in at halftime of the MSU game. He was talking to a friend of his, who happens to be a friend of mine. I have no idea if he meant what he said, but I heard what he said.

I've never heard anyone refer to the boxes at BWA as suites.  Did they build something new since I was last there?

jlmnjem

Quote from: 1836hog on March 06, 2006, 09:23:01 pm

I've never heard anyone refer to the boxes at BWA as suites.  Did they build something new since I was last there?

My friend has had his since they built the place and that's all I've ever heard him call it.

1836hog

Quote from: jlmnjem on March 06, 2006, 09:30:18 pm

I've never heard anyone refer to the boxes at BWA as suites.  Did they build something new since I was last there?

My friend has had his since they built the place and that's all I've ever heard him call it.

Huh?  Never heard anyone refer to them as such.  I was just curious.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: yraciv on March 06, 2006, 09:22:33 pm
Quote from: dmac5 on March 06, 2006, 07:39:16 pm
inside info from beginning of season; said he would only go if he was a top 5 pick

Thats what Al Jefferson said.
Wow think what we could have been with him on the team!

RBLtoHOG

I have a feelin Ronnie will stay.... I also had a feeling our football team was gonna be good last season though =/
In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

mikeirwin

Ron Sr. has indeed been telling people he's advising Ronnie to come out. He could come back next year, have a better season and still not go this high. However, the mom reportedly wants him to graduate first.
I'm guessing money will talk.

mikeirwin

Quote from: jlmnjem on March 06, 2006, 09:30:18 pm

Yes they are called suites.

1836hog

You're wrong.  They're called boxes.

Woogie

March 06, 2006, 10:21:07 pm #26 Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 10:22:38 pm by Woogie
As much I would like for him to stay, I think it may be bad business for him NOT to go.  Economics are all about striking while the iron is hot.  His iron is probably as hot as it will ever be, IMO.  A lottery pick is some major cash.  Even if he was a bust, which I dont think he will be, the money he makes in a year or two could set him for life.  Even if he goes, I will support his decision one way or another.  But lets not worry about this now.... we have an SEC title to win and an NCAA tournament run still to go.

dmhog v2.0

Mr. Irwin, what is the financial situation with the Brewers to the best of your knowledge? I know he wasn't getting paid in his NBA days the likes of which players get now, but are they pretty well set? What did he do after his career was over?What is Ron doing these days? The last I knew was that he was working for the UA in some capacity. Is that correct?

HatfieldHog

Being a no. 8 overall pick in the NBA draft means a signing bonus in the millions!  The last year of his scholarship is worth 20,000 at most?  What do you think the right move would be?

Take the $3,000,000.00 signing bonus, and put back 100 grand to finish up the college career in 10 years.  It doesn't take a genus to figure this one out!

Just the facts,    See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

dmhog v2.0

I agree that he should go for the money. It's just a matter of how much of his heart is with the Arkansas program. Does he feel we'll have what it takes to lead us in a run for a title next year? That would be the only reason I see him sticking around as far as basketball goes. Now, getting a degree is a different story.

Dwight_K_Shrute

The question shouldn't be whether Ronnie will leave or should he leave.

Here are the real questions

1.  If Ronnie leaves does Stan leave too?  I would say solid possibility.  Stan could face the prospect of losing his top 3 guys and taking 2 steps back after taking a big step forward.  His stock may never be this hot again.

2.  If Stan stays is he given a bye next year?  What if we are at best an NIT team next year without Brewer, Ferguson, and Modica?  Is Stan off the hook or does he need to consistently make the tourney from this point forward regardless of the circumstances.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

1836hog

Ron Brewer no longer works for University.  He was working in the development office a few years ago.  The reason he is no longer working for the university has a lot to do with Ronnie's mom wanting him to stay for his degree.  Last year he was the head coach for the Fresno Heatwave, a ABA team.  Not sure of the reasoning, but he is not longer with the team.  Mr. Brewer has had a difficult time, in more ways than one, since his NBA days and Ronnie has seen the problems of not a having a college degree.  I believe that he will stay for his senior year.
Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on March 06, 2006, 10:22:54 pm
Mr. Irwin, what is the financial situation with the Brewers to the best of your knowledge? I know he wasn't getting paid in his NBA days the likes of which players get now, but are they pretty well set? What did he do after his career was over?What is Ron doing these days? The last I knew was that he was working for the UA in some capacity. Is that correct?

J.A.Y.

LOVE the hogs. Like Ronnie, personally I would get while the getting is good. How many times are you guaranteed this money. Mark my words if he stays, and does better next year, He still won't get much more.
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: jayloot on March 06, 2006, 10:43:21 pm
LOVE the hogs. Like Ronnie, personally I would get while the getting is good. How many times are you guaranteed this money. Mark my words if he stays, and does better next year, He still won't get much more.

True, I don't think he has much left to prove on an individual level. I think he's one of the top 5 players in the country right now, but may want to stick around to prove that to the country and make a push for title contention. At least, I hope so.

1836hog

If we win the NC this year I would be ok with him leaving early.  If we don't win it I would like for him to stick around for his senior season. 

Killean

A first round draft pick in the NBA gets guaranteed money.  Personally I thought the point of going to college was less to get an education, more to prepare you for later life in the private sector.  I can't fault any player for going to the NBA draft when they KNOW they're going to be a first round pick (Joe Johnson, Al Jefferson).  The only reason to stay in college or go to college at that point would be to improve your draft status.  If you're a lottery pick, chances are it isn't going to improve that much.

I'll be happy for any Razorback who leaves early to get drafted in the first round, they're doing what is probably best and I'll support their professional careers.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Dwight_K_Shrute

The other thing to remember with the NBA is that unlike the NFL, the first contract you sign maybe be good, but it's not great.  *** awesome for joes like us but just so-so in terms of pro contracts.  The top 5 in the NFL draft see a much more immediate payoff than the top 5 NBA.

These guys come out to get those first 3 or 4 years out of the way, because after that it is the HUGE payday in free agency where even guys with average talent get big bucks.  So it's not just the allure of getting that big payday now, it's getting that first contract out of the way as soon as possible. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

mikeirwin

Quote from: 1836hog on March 06, 2006, 10:14:24 pm
It's a stupid thing to argue about however here goes:
Even though the suites have Box 105 (or whatever) stamped on the doors the folks at the Broyles Center commonly refer to them as luxury suites. I've heard coach Broyles use this term and also the arena manager Fred Vorsanger.
Yes I have heard them called boxes and even skyboxes.
But but the use of the term luxury suites or suites is not wrong.

1836hog

Wasn't tyring to argue with you Mr. Irwin.  I've been going to games at the Bud since 94 and Have friends with boxes.  I was there the night the lights went on and I have never heard them referred to as suites.  One example would be the Tyson Box, the showcase box, the one Clinton would stop in before making his way down to his seat.  You never heard anyone refer to it as the Tyson suite.  It sounds a little to high class and sophisticated for Fayetteville, like something they would have up in Rogers or Bentonville.

HOGLIGULA

Ronnie should stay for the simple fact that this years NBA draft has a big talent class, and he really needs to improve his mid-range game as well as the three during the off-season in order to get a first round pick.
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

jlmnjem

Quote from: 1836hog on March 06, 2006, 10:14:24 pm

Then why is the word SUITE printed at the top of each ticket?

othermac

if ronnie goes then we move on, i am betting he want to at least match his dad's final 4 appearence, in a way his persona says that its more about the ball then the money, he doesnt call alot of attention to himself, and he is pretty much a team player, he isnt about bawdy stats, imo.
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

mountainhog

Ive heard them called suites before also.

HogInaStrangeLand

Ummm....think a person who pays for them can call them what they want.

But I've heard 'suite' used more often then not.

tophawg19

money is too big for us to overcome especially if the family fianances aren't in good shape . his going to the nba as a top 10 player will help in recruiting as most kids want to see that a team can put players in as lottery picks .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins