Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heath is one year behind

Started by cityhog, March 04, 2006, 12:10:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cityhog

Heath in his 4th year is accomplishing what NR did in his third. 
ie.  NR year 2 in the NIT basically escaping w/ his job by BARELY beating ASU. 
Heath in year 3 declining a NIT bid and almost a sure loss to either UALR or ASU.
NR in year 3 going to the NCAAT and finally being respected by coaches and refs in the old SWC.
Heath in year 4 going to the NCAAT and finally being respected by coaches and refs.

Big difference here. 
NR wasn't left with a bare cupboard.  Granted he didn't have the players to play his style ball, but he wasn't bereft of talent.  Plus the SWC wasn't exactly a powerhouse league.
Heath was left with nothing.  And what he did have transferred out.  The SEC is a cut-throat league.

My point is, things are coming around for Heath and The BBall Hogs.  It may not have happened as quickly as we all would have liked for it to, but I do see the tide turning.  And unlike Nutt, he has improved his record every year he has been here.  So even though he's a year behing NR's schedule of success, I believe he's building a SOLID foundation for the future.

taintlint

March 04, 2006, 12:22:11 pm #1 Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 12:24:18 pm by taintlint
Quote from: cityhog on March 04, 2006, 12:10:40 pm
And unlike Nutt, he has improved his record every year he has been here. 

Evertime I see this idiotic statement I will follow with the following.........

I am not a Nutt man but have recently converted to Heathism. Regardless, if you know anything about Heath's scheduling you will recall that last year we were the laughingstock of the nation thanks to Heath's cupcake schedule that skyrocketed us to 13 wins and then we were lucky to grab 5 more wins over the following 2 months. What does that mean? It means that if Heath would not have embarrassed this program by playing H.S. teams before SEC play last year, he would have finished with a record that would have been worse than his first year. Last year was horrible and was 3 steps backwards. Heath finally has his ducks in a row but HAS NOT BECOME BETTER EVERY YEAR!!!!  If you believe in that bologna, then would you also consider us better next year if we scheduled JUCO's all over again and snagged 30 wins!?!? I mean that's a better record right? Get real. Drop the whole "He has gotten better every year" song and dance. He has had a wonderful year and we are finally going in the right direction. That does not mean that he has not become worse at times during his tenure at UA.

nwarazfan

Quote from: taintlint on March 04, 2006, 12:22:11 pm

I am not a Nutt man but have recently converted to Heathism. Regardless, if you know anything about Heath's scheduling you will recall that last year we were the laughingstock of the nation thanks to Heath's cupcake schedule that skyrocketed us to 13 wins and then we were lucky to grab 5 more wins over the following 2 months. What does that mean? It means that if Heath would not have embarrassed this program by playing H.S. teams before SEC play last year, he would have finished with a record that would have been worse than his first year. Last year was horrible and was 3 steps backwards. Heath finally has his ducks in a row but HAS NOT BECOME BETTER EVERY YEAR!!!!  If you believe in that bologna, then would you also consider us better next year if we scheduled JUCO's all over again and snagged 30 wins!?!? I mean that's a better record right? Get real. Drop the whole "He has gotten better every year" song and dance. He has had a wonderful year and we are finally going in the right direction. That does not mean that he has not become worse at times during his tenure at UA.

That statement is actually not that idiotic.  The program has gotten better each year.  Nutt's hasn't. 

Lokirain

A better record means getting more wins each year. He has done that. Go ahead an add an astrick if you want. The proof is on paper. We weren't good last year, scheduling better teams in pre SEC play would have shown that. We needed a cupcake schedule last year.

taintlint

Quote from: nwarazfan on March 04, 2006, 12:26:29 pm

That statement is actually not that idiotic.  The program has gotten better each year.  Nutt's hasn't. 

It's not a Nutt/Heath issue! It's the stupid belief that scheduling a better record means improvement. If that were the logical thing to do for improvement, lets just schedule 25 to 30 Bethune-Cookman's and then we can say "Wooo Hooooo!!! 30 Wins! We improved again"

OUHOG

I really like everything you said about Heath and THE program. You should have left the Nutt statement out and kept yourself from looking like a basher. but again I do agree totally with the rest of your statements.

taintlint

nwarazfan

Quote from: taintlint on March 04, 2006, 12:29:10 pm

It's not a Nutt/Heath issue! It's the stupid belief that scheduling a better record means improvement. If that were the logical thing to do for improvement, lets just schedule 25 to 30 Bethune-Cookman's and then we can say "Wooo Hooooo!!! 30 Wins! We improved again"

I know this is the second favorite criticism of Heath behind the tired 4-27 repeating.  Biggus has done a fine job of blowharding this into your minds.  Year 1 with Heath, we couldn't even take care of the cupcakes at home.  The program has improved and the record reflects it.

taintlint

March 04, 2006, 12:40:15 pm #8 Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 12:41:52 pm by taintlint
Quote from: nwarazfan on March 04, 2006, 12:33:58 pm

I know this is the second favorite criticism of Heath behind the tired 4-27 repeating.  Biggus has done a fine job of blowharding this into your minds.  Year 1 with Heath, we couldn't even take care of the cupcakes at home.  The program has improved and the record reflects it.

From day 1 to now, yes we are better. This thread contained the thought that "Heath has improved the bball program every year, Nutt has not". Im not a Nutt man but if we are going from day 1 to now, well, is the football program not better today than in 1998 and the days of Ford!?!? Of course! Better facilities, 6 more bowl games, more $, blah, blah, blah...... You can't have it both ways. Pick a side. Make sure it has logic behind it. Both programs are better off but unless you believe in more wins due to cupcake scheduling being "improvement", Heath has not improved every year. Heath, only 3 years in, would have had his Houston Nutt "5-7, 4-7" setbacks if it were not for the scheduling.

Hog1751

Just out of curisity, how often did we play Good Non conference teams under Nolan, In 94 we played Mizzou, in 95 we played Umass and Mizzou, maybe a tourney. We always loaded up on cupcakes with NR and played 1 2 or maybe 3 good teams. Its not like we played a top 5 schedule every year under NR. I can remember maybe 1 year we might have played 5 or 6 tourney teams. I believe if you look at the cupcakes and number of that we usaully played under NR, its not that much different than Heath. Last year was an exception, however we did play Mizzour (not Heaths fault that they fell off) and we did play Illinois #1, Tulsa, etc etc.

RedSatinHog

It's not like Houston Nutt schedules a power-ridden non-conference schedule every year, either, unless you consider ULM, New Mexico State, Middle Tennessee, Missouri State, North Texas, etc. to be national powerhouses in football.  Sure, Nutt puts in the occasional game with Texas or USC, but then again, Heath played Okie State, OU and Illinois when they were among the nation's elite.

Nutt's still yet to finish a season with 10 wins in the 8 seasons he's been at the UA.  That kind of performance gets him fired at the true marquee programs around the country.  In the time he's been collecting a check in Fayetteville, coaches around the country have built other programs (OU, LSU, Ohio State, USC, Texas) back into national championship winners.

And you wanna talk about bad decisions?  How about the decision to go for it on 4th and long inside the opponent's 20 yard line rather than just kick a field goal in a tight game at MSU with a trip to the SEC title game on the line his first season?  Don't throw back the crap about the kicker being suspended, either.  That field goal would been roughly the equivalent of a PAT, something the backup kicker had done already.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

nwarazfan

Quote from: taintlint on March 04, 2006, 12:40:15 pm
Quote from: nwarazfan on March 04, 2006, 12:33:58 pm

From day 1 to now, yes we are better. This thread contained the thought that "Heath has improved the bball program every year, Nutt has not". Im not a Nutt man but if we are going from day 1 to now, well, is the football program not better today than in 1998 and the days of Ford!?!? Of course! Better facilities, 6 more bowl games, more $$, blah, blah, blah...... You can't have it both ways. Pick a side. Make sure it has logic behind it. Both programs are better off but unless you believe in more wins due to cupcake scheduling being "improvement", Heath has not improved every year.

I thought you were converted to Heathism.  Can't have it both ways.  You'll be right back to your bashing 1st loss.

No the football program is not better than 98 in talent.  That talent led to the best bowl games under Nutt which created the momentum for the building of the facilities.  Nutt did not recruit nor develop those players.  You keep saying its not a Nutt/Heath issue yet keep bringing it up. 

Again, you can't have it both ways.

nwarazfan

Quote from: Hog1751 on March 04, 2006, 12:43:04 pm
Just out of curisity, how often did we play Good Non conference teams under Nolan, In 94 we played Mizzou, in 95 we played Umass and Mizzou, maybe a tourney. We always loaded up on cupcakes with NR and played 1 2 or maybe 3 good teams. Its not like we played a top 5 schedule every year under NR. I can remember maybe 1 year we might have played 5 or 6 tourney teams. I believe if you look at the cupcakes and number of that we usaully played under NR, its not that much different than Heath. Last year was an exception, however we did play Mizzour (not Heaths fault that they fell off) and we did play Illinois #1, Tulsa, etc etc.

Be prepared for the Biggus diatribe full of his 'facts'.

heathshogs

We've gotten better every year.
Year 1: horrible 9-19, 4-12
Year 2: still bad 12-16, 4-12. At least able to beat a few cupcakes.
Year 3: not good 18-12, 6-10.You can say it was propped uop by cupcakes, but we also beat 2 more SEC teams.
Year 4: finally decent. Should be back in the Tournament 
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

silvertip

Well, Heath is not totally one year behind Nolan.

Nolan did not WIN an NCAAT game until his FOURTH year.

Anyone want to bet against Heath equally or beating Nolan's NCAAT win total in this, Heath's fourth year?

And yes, mwarazfan, Biggus & Bomis have expended great efforts into, as you say, 'Blowharding" the idea that Heath's improvement has been a matter of weaker schedules. But I notice they both end that argument each time with last year's results.

I think some people are having trouble admitting what's going on.

taintlint

Holy Lord!!! This is not a Nutt/Heath/Nolan/Ghandi/George Bush comparison. All of that is totally irrelevant!!!! Just use logic! If we scheduled Prarie Grove A&M, UAPB, and Colgate caliber teams next year in order to snag 18 or so non con wins, does that mean we improved from this year? No. Hell no. So please do not compare one coaches performance to another's with some weak ass argument that "Hey! This program is improving every year and this one over here is not"

Hog1751

March 04, 2006, 12:59:35 pm #16 Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 01:02:13 pm by Hog1751
Quote from: taintlint on March 04, 2006, 12:48:54 pm

Holy Lord!!! This is not a Nutt/Heath/Nolan/Ghandi/George Bush comparison. All of that is totally irrelevant!!!! Just use logic! If we scheduled Prarie Grove A&M, UAPB, and Colgate caliber teams next year in order to snag 18 or so non con wins, does that mean we improved from this year? No. Hell no. So please do not compare one coaches performance to another's with some weak ass argument that "Hey! This program is improving every year and this one over here is not"

First of all I never said we improved every year I said our scheduling has not changed all that much, I never compared Nutt to anything I happen to still think Nutt may pull his head outta his ass and get it done. This was our non conference schedule in 94

Jackson State, Bethune Cookman, Deleware State, Oral Roberts, at Tulsa, #3 Missouri, Texas Southern, at Memphis, Centenary, and some other no name team from Alabama or something. So my argument stands SCHEDULIHNG HAS NOT CHANGED, If you look at my first post and tell me where I made an argument other than that please do. By the way that was 10-0 and we managed to go 21-3 after that and a win a National Championship, non conference scheduling doesnt mean spit for anything but your RPI, Hell we beat Texas State 73-67 this year and we beat Auburn 20, basketball does not have logic, its a game and there are many outside factors.

Franchise_Hog

Quote from: heathshogs on March 04, 2006, 12:46:35 pm
Year 3: not good 18-12, 6-10.You can say it was propped uop by cupcakes, but we also beat 2 more SEC teams.

Nice post.  I have actually accepted the years 1 and 2.  I don't think I will ever get over last year.  We laid down and died.  That team should have been were this one is now.  You know, we really could have used MJ for basketball in year 3, I really think if he had played we would have won a few more games.  He brought a weird kind of leadership with him.

cityhog

OK, OK I should have left Nutt out of the thread.  MY point WAS, Heath has indeed improved every year.  Years 2 and 3 I believe we were 6-10 in the SEC.  Difference there being the 10 losses weren't as ugly last year as they were the previous year.  Year 4 he has an opportunity to flip 6-10 into 10-6.  Screw the OOC scheduling.  Let's just talk improvement in league play.  I have a feeling that some of those close losses we endured this year will start to turn the other way next year.  Heck, it's already started to happen w/ come from behind wins over FL, TN and Bama, and we held on against Mistake.
And as to my "idiotic" statement that Heath's record has improved every year,.....well... hasn't it?

Lokirain

The first two years for Stan are gimme's. We're going dancing. Let's just be happy and save all your critiques until offseason, we don't want you guys to look too foolish after all.

taintlint

Quote from: cityhog on March 04, 2006, 01:24:06 pm
OK, OK I should have left Nutt out of the thread.  MY point WAS, Heath has indeed improved every year.  Years 2 and 3 I believe we were 6-10 in the SEC.  Difference there being the 10 losses weren't as ugly last year as they were the previous year.  Year 4 he has an opportunity to flip 6-10 into 10-6.  Screw the OOC scheduling.  Let's just talk improvement in league play.  I have a feeling that some of those close losses we endured this year will start to turn the other way next year.  Heck, it's already started to happen w/ come from behind wins over FL, TN and Bama, and we held on against Mistake.
And as to my "idiotic" statement that Heath's record has improved every year,.....well... hasn't it?

Fair enough. Yes, his "W" and "L" column has improved every year but the teams he scheduled and beat in his 3rd year are the sole reason the very tired line "better every year" has a leg to stand on. Regardless, he has it working just fine now and that is all that matters. WPS. GHG. Sweet 16 or bust.

Razorback88

Quote from: taintlint on March 04, 2006, 01:29:52 pm

Fair enough. Yes, his "W" and "L" column has improved every year but the teams he scheduled and beat in his 3rd year are the sole reason the very tired line "better every year" has a leg to stand on. Regardless, he has it working just fine now and that is all that matters. WPS. GHG. Sweet 16 or bust.
Do you think Heath's first team could have won 18 games last year?  No way.  The wins may have been padded because of the schedule but the quality of the team was much improved, too.

Lokirain

Stan and Nolan's players are totally different. Stan needed his guys to win. Stan is too young to adjust his coaching style, so once his players were in place, I then decided to start judging him. Last year was the first time I could see what the future held. We lost a lot of close games this year, but we have been in every SEC game we have played. Stan, like the players, are just learning how to win the close ones in the SEC.

wrightobe

Year 3: not good 18-12, 6-10.You can say it was propped up by cupcakes, but we also beat 2 more SEC teams.
I can not remember NR's last 3 years coaching record, but I do think it was not that good. Can any one enlighten me?  If I remember correctly, the year we won the SEC tournament, we really got hot, and tore up the SEC tournament, but the overall record that year was in decline compared to prior years in NR's tenure.

Snarlton

1999-00 Nolan Richardson 19-15 (7-9)
2000-01 Nolan Richardson 20-11 (10-6)
2001-02 Nolan Richardson 14-15 (6-10)

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Lokirain on March 04, 2006, 01:29:42 pm
The first two years for Stan are gimme's. We're going dancing. Let's just be happy and save all your critiques until offseason, we don't want you guys to look too foolish after all.

Best post of the thread.  Nolan achieved a level of success that not many coaches will ever achieve.  Stan's team was dead in the water after Ole Miss.  Things could not have been looking worse.  So he got it turned around, they are in the dance.  We do need to just enjoy it.  Stan will not be fired although he could leave.

Stan has made his job much harder.  Say they win 23 games this year.  It's going to be really hard to show improvement next year.  Now that we are presumably back in the Dance he needs to keep us there year in and out, and then start winning some games in the NCAAT.  If he can do that then I'm ok with him as coach.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HouTxRzbck

Taint...Those are idiot staments.  You do what you have to do to get a program up and going.  If it means getting some wins and some confidence then that is what it takes.  We have improved every year.  First two years we were losing to these cup cakes.  We won 9 games with a cup cake non conference schedule.  Now we are taking care of business with these teams and doing what we need to do when we get to SEC play.  That wasn't happening first two years and you could include the third year.  Look at the schedule and see how pathetic we were in Heaths first two years.  I see improvement every year he has been here.
"Do you do drugs Danny...?"

"...Every Day"

"So what's the problem...?"

hoggin das

I think it's a little unfair to compare FB and BB. FB requires so many more players, and the Ark FB program doesn't have the same respect of Ark. BB.  Hasn't since he 80's

ronshogs

TANTLINT I bet your underwear is Longhorn burnt orange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

taintlint

I can see by your 27 post that you have been around long enough to know how I feel. What in God's name does a college in Austin have to do with my feelings towards scheduling cupcakes for wins!?!?!?!? Welcome to the board anyway.

hoggystyle78

Irregardless of the "cupcake" issue, In my opinion I see improvement, but ONLY in the last 3 games or so. If Ronnie stays and the rest of the guys improve, mature, and get stronger then next year looks promising, but for now I have seen an improvement since Stan has taken over, but it has only been in the last 2 weeks so I'm not quite ready to say that Stan is the man to take us back to glory, I guess we'll all get a better idea in the coming weeks.

cityhog

We were still getting blown out on the road last year.  This year we didn't get blown out once.  That's improvement.

Snarlton

Quote from: taintlint on March 04, 2006, 05:59:35 pm
I can see by your 27 post that you have been around long enough to know how I feel. What in God's name does a college in Austin have to do with my feelings towards scheduling cupcakes for wins!?!?!?!? Welcome to the board anyway.

Based on both of your profiles, he's been around longer than you.  He just doesn't post his every thought like you seem to.

Hog_from_Tulsa

Quote from: silvertip on March 04, 2006, 12:46:56 pm
Well, Heath is not totally one year behind Nolan.

Nolan did not WIN an NCAAT game until his FOURTH year.

Anyone want to bet against Heath equally or beating Nolan's NCAAT win total in this, Heath's fourth year?

And yes, mwarazfan, Biggus & Bomis have expended great efforts into, as you say, 'Blowharding" the idea that Heath's improvement has been a matter of weaker schedules. But I notice they both end that argument each time with last year's results.

I think some people are having trouble admitting what's going on.

One thing to consider is how much better the SEC is now, compared to the SWC when Nolan started......but.....we still should have had some upset wins before this year.
"We can't get no reform when we're the incumbent" - Pappy O'Daniel

hogsta

But the SWC was more... nostalgic. An intense rivalry. Blood. Guts.

mountainhog

Maybe the only way to tell if we are improving is to just look at the conference records over the years , because we play the same ones every year.  that would be a good judgement of how we are doing.. alot of teams do the cupcake schedule to pad their wins.  We needed to do it last year to try to instill confidence in our young team.

Fletch

I honestly don't see one shred of logic behind the argument that we have NOT improved every year. Like it was said earlier, in year 2 we were losing to some of the patsies at home. We even lost an exhibition game. Last year we were definitely better than year 2, it doesn't matter what your scheduling argument is. We won more sec games and say, for instance you replace 2 of our patsies with UCONN and Duke and we lose them both. All of a sudden we played 3 of the top ten teams in the nation, our RPI is up and we finish the year 16-14, better than the year before and a tougher schedule too. To me there is no doubt whatsoever.
I feel like $100

silvertip

I can see by your (500th or whatever post) that YOU, taintlint, weren't BRAGGING a couple weeks ago about how YOU WERE GIVING UP AFTER MAUI AND EVERY LOSS SINCE. NOT ONLY were you giving up recently, but YOU SIR, have been GIVING UP ALL DAMN SEASON. Congrats on trying to get on the wagon now. I'm sure there's plenty on that wagon who don't know who you are.

Lokirain

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 04, 2006, 03:50:03 pm
Quote from: Lokirain on March 04, 2006, 01:29:42 pm

Best post of the thread.  Nolan achieved a level of success that not many coaches will ever achieve.  Stan's team was dead in the water after Ole Miss.  Things could not have been looking worse.  So he got it turned around, they are in the dance.  We do need to just enjoy it.  Stan will not be fired although he could leave.

Stan has made his job much harder.  Say they win 23 games this year.  It's going to be really hard to show improvement next year.  Now that we are presumably back in the Dance he needs to keep us there year in and out, and then start winning some games in the NCAAT.  If he can do that then I'm ok with him as coach.

Exactly, now Stan has no excuse. We have to go to the NCAA Tourney every year now. That's pretty much what Broyles said at the hiring ceremony. We expect Stan to not only rebuild this program, but keep it built. I expect to go to the dance for the next three years, before having a down year. I want the former glory, a Sweet 16 will do for now. WPS!

HogBall94

Forget comparing scores.

Would Heath's 2nd year team have beaten the first year team?
Ruthlessly.

Would last year's team have beaten the 2nd year team?
Well, yeah.

Would this year's team beat last year's?
Obviously.

It looks like our teams are gettin better every year.

taintlint

March 04, 2006, 10:56:00 pm #40 Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 11:02:49 pm by taintlint
Quote from: silvertip on March 04, 2006, 09:15:44 pm

I can see by your (500th or whatever post) that YOU, taintlint, weren't BRAGGING a couple weeks ago about how YOU WERE GIVING UP AFTER MAUI AND EVERY LOSS SINCE. NOT ONLY were you giving up recently, but YOU SIR, have been GIVING UP ALL DAMN SEASON. Congrats on trying to get on the wagon now. I'm sure there's plenty on that wagon who don't know who you are.

I modified this because I'm not going to let you get to me.......
Hey silvertip, I was trying to be nice to you but now you can blow me. After the Hogs proved me wrong I addressed you personally telling you that I was foolish for my extreme disbelief in Heath's ability. So you know what? Wait. I already told you in my first line.

silvertip

March 04, 2006, 11:20:40 pm #41 Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 11:24:34 pm by silvertip
Quote from: Franchise_Hog on March 04, 2006, 01:23:56 pm

Nice post.  I have actually accepted the years 1 and 2.  I don't think I will ever get over last year.  We laid down and died.  That team should have been were this one is now.  You know, we really could have used MJ for basketball in year 3, I really think if he had played we would have won a few more games.  He brought a weird kind of leadership with him.

Just curious---I really don't expect an answer this late in a thread & this late at night. But when you say, about last year, " We laid down & died."

Well, yeah, I think that happened. What I would like to know---from you & others who saw that---just WHO do you think "laid down & died"?

I KNOW, from talking to a coach, who laid down & died. And I saw it at the time. I'm not gonna say---but I wonder what you & others think about who it was, that "laid down & died."

I'll just say this---it wasn't Heath. And it's not happening this year.

Franchise_Hog

Quote from: silvertip on March 04, 2006, 11:20:40 pm

Just curious---I really don't expect an answer this late in a thread & this late at night. But when you say, about last year, " We laid down & died."

Well, yeah, I think that happened. What I would like to know---from you & others who saw that---just WHO do you think "laid down & died"?

I KNOW, from talking to a coach, who laid down & died. And I saw it at the time. I'm not gonna say---but I wonder what you & others think about who it was, that "laid down & died."

It seemed like the whole team did really, all the way up to the administration and coaching staff...remember, our legs were tired that's why we basically turned down the NIT.

Since you "KNOW" from talking to whoever you talked to, why don't you tell us who laid down and died.  Why won't you say?  It's the internet, nobody can see you.

Fletch

Quote from: silvertip on March 04, 2006, 11:20:40 pm

Olu, Olu, Olu. Of course, he would have had to have been up and alive at some point.
I feel like $100

Fletch

I also think Modica and Heath were not on the same page regarding Pookie's role on the team and that hurt also.
I feel like $100

silvertip

March 05, 2006, 08:26:55 pm #45 Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 07:35:37 am by silvertip
Quote from: taintlint on March 04, 2006, 01:29:52 pm

Hey, taintlint---just like Biggus & Bomis you want to talk about easier scheduling---up thru LAST YEAR. Somehow, you can't face the fact that THIS YEAR the schedule has been tougher & the record is better. What does THAT do to your desperate effort to deny what's really going on?

Same thing with the "4-27 SEC road record" BS that all you Heath bashers love to quote. THIS year, the SEC road record is 3-5. Which is just right there with what is necessary to win a SEC-W title. Which, of course, SuperCoach Nolan could not get in his last SIX seasons.

It's hilarious when so many "experts" want to talk about "lack of improvement"---but they don't want to talk about THIS YEAR. The longer this season goes on, the stupider that looks.

In case some of you readers think I'm being too hard on poor taintlint---he's the guy on here a couple weeks ago BRAGGING about how he gave up on the season after the Maui Tournament. Ha ha ha I say.

Biggus Piggus

I am surprised this thread got this long without anybody mentioning the obvious.

The team Nolan inherited from Sutton was as much of a mess if not worse than the one Heath got from Nolan.  Only difference was the public awareness of the mess.  Back then the media covered up lots of crap.

But in year two Nolan had the freedom to recruit a large number of new players (seven or eight, I don't remember exactly how many) including jucos, while Heath had to obey the 5-8/5-9 rules and also had strict limitations on the incoming academic qualifications of jucos.  Heath thought he was going to be able to bring in a couple of good players right away, but they would not have been academically eligible because of the D rule.
[CENSORED]!