Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC East Football Recruiting Battles heat up

Started by jbcarol, June 10, 2012, 06:56:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Ex-Atlanta Falcons and current UCLA coach Jim Mora,Jr. has parted ways with 2 Georgia recruits in a manner that left both prospects confused

QuoteLongtime UCLA QB commit Eddie Printz, Jr. said he found out on Wednesday that his football scholarship offer from the Bruins was withdrawn.

"I feel like a horse kicked me in the stomach," the quarterback's father, Ed Printz, told the AJC. "And I feel like I let my son down because I let him commit early. This happens, and I don't know how I could've foreseen it. I believed what Coach Mora was telling us, and now I feel sick in my stomach about it."

"I really shocked and disappointed with how this went down with UCLA," Lassiter coach Jep Irwin said. "They haven't been genuine and forthright through this whole thing. It appears they used Eddie, maybe to attract other recruits. Or maybe they have another recruit closer to home they ended up liking better.

"This is not how adults should handle business, regardless of whether it's recruiting or not. They won't answer the phone or call us back. If you're going to build relationships with people, you have to have some level of trust."

Printz's father said he had to do some investigative work to find out the scholarship offer was being withdrawn. After seeing a tweet from a recruiting analyst that UCLA was scouting another QB last Friday (Hayden Rettig, who is committed to LSU), Printz said he repeatedly tried to contact the coaches over the last several days with no response. He said finally got someone to pick up a phone with offensive line coach Adrian Klemm, who recruits the Atlanta area.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

DB Shaq Wiggins says he is 100% committed to UGa and his message to there fans is, "there is nothing to worry about".

Wiggins official visits are scheduled with Tennessee, Florida, Ole Miss, and Vandy.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Recruiting success in Georgia is a must for Vols

QuoteThe 1998 national champion Tennessee Volunteers didn't lose a game. In the three seasons prior, they won 11, 10 and 11 games, respectively. Three seasons after the title, they went 11-2.

Back then, Tennessee was among college football's most consistent, most talked about, and most respected programs.

And its success recruiting in the state of Georgia played a crucial role in the school reaching that stature.

Then-coach Phillip Fulmer and his vaunted Vols not only won often on the field, they won big in the Peach State.

The 2011 Vol class included seven Georgians, but only two with at least four stars (Johnson and Coleman).

In February, receiver Jason Croom was the only signee from Georgia with more than three stars in the 247Sports...

Presently, Tennessee has commits from two 2013 Georgia prospects (both 3-stars)...

The Vols remain in contention for defensive tackle Montravius Adams and safety Vonn Bell, both five-star prospects that would be monster pickups and much-needed recruiting wins. Tennessee is among Bell's leaders; Adams is more of a longshot, it seems. Ironically, Bell, who attends Ridgeland (Ga.), actually lives just across the Georgia state line in Tennessee.

"I think it's an uphill battle right now [in Georgia]," 247Sports national analyst Gerry Hamilton said. "Florida really ascended under Urban Meyer and then you have Nick Saban at Alabama and what they've done. Even Auburn won a national title with Cam Newton from Georgia. I just think kids identify more with other programs than Tennessee right now."

The best way for the Vols to change that?

"It's a winning business," Hamilton said. "At the end of the day, if you win games you'll recruit at a higher level. You become more prevalent in kids' minds. It's all about wins and losses. The rest is window dressing. The other thing is having some player that kids can identify with. A kid they talk about. If (Vols receiver) Cordarrelle Patterson continues to have a big year and goes in the first round, that's a person the kids would be able to identify the program with. Wins and having players kids look up to is big."

jbcarol

JC offensive lineman Trenton Brown has officially de-committed from UGA.

The move did not come as a surprise for UGA.

QuoteOn Wednesday, Brown's coach at Georgia Military junior college said the 6-foot-8, 360-pounder had informed UGA's coaches last week that he was opening back up his recruitment:

"From what he told me, he felt like he wasn't shot straight with what their plans for him were," Bert Williams said. "I can tell (Brown and his father) were kind of upset with things as far as what they anticipated him playing."

Brown wanted to play offensive tackle, but was worried that UGA might play him at guard.

The Bulldogs now have 27 commitments for its 2013 class, including four offensive linemen. The Bulldogs will likely sign at least one more. Brown is now looking at Florida, Texas A&M, Arizona State, Ole Miss and UGA, according to the report. Brown told ESPN, even before he de-committed from UGA, that Florida is his leader.

jbcarol

jbcarol

6-2, two bills Brookwood WR Kyrin Priester committed to NC State over the weekend. Priester gave his verbal to the Wolfpack over South Carolina, TCU and Vandy. He was also recruited by UGa.

jbcarol

UGa is riding the recruiting roller coaster with athletes from @ Creek High.

QuoteDemarre Kitt, a junior from Sandy Creek High School, backed off his pledge to UGA on Thursday. He had been committed to the Bulldogs since last April. Kitt is considered one of the state's top juniors

"I think I committed too early; Clemson and USC are still recruiting me hard, and I still want to give them a fair chance," Kitt told the AJC.

Because Kitt is just a junior, his situation is nowhere near the priority status for UGA as WR Tramel Terry, who has already committed twice to the Bulldogs.

The 4-star from South Carolina's Goose Creek High School quietly made an official visit to Clemson last weekend, which created speculation that he made switch his commitment for a third time.

"It wouldn't surprise me," Goose Creek coach Chuck Reedy told a reporter.

UGA has now lost four recruits over the last few months – 5-star RB Derrick Henry (now committed to Alabama), OL Trenton Brown (undecided), WR Kyrin Priester (NC State) and Kitt. Also, DT Kelsey Griffin publicly committed to UGA three weeks ago and had it rejected by the Bulldogs later that day. He pledged to South Carolina on Tuesday.

jbcarol

Mizzou QB commit Eddie Printz, Jr.'s recruiting diary

QuoteMike Gilliam from Opportunities Through Athletics always says, to know the road ahead ask those who are coming back.  That's great advice and I do ask a lot of questions to friends who are at the next level.  The hardest thing about recruiting is having to make a very personal decision in the public eye.  A lot happens from the time you enter high school up to your senior season.

I committed to the University of Missouri.  I want to thank Coach Pinkel, Coach Yost and Coach Grinch...

jbcarol

UGa has lost four football recruits in recent months.

Another longtime UGA commit who has the Bulldogs wondering is Stanley Williams, the junior tailback from George Walton Academy.

QuoteHe was offered the summer after his freshman year of high school at Dawg Night prospect camp – and committed on the spot.

This week, Williams told the AJC that he is "90-percent committed" to UGA but also that he isn't sure if he will sign with the Bulldogs in February 2014.

"I'm not sure yet about that," Williams said. "Of course, it's getting close. It's coming down to crunch time and it's time for me to focus on which schools do I really want to attend. Who knows? I'm not sure yet. I just want to take a closer look and see what the best option is for me."

The 5-foot-9, 192-pounder is known for his blazing speed. Williams has attended games this season at UGA, Clemson, South Carolina and Florida. He plans to check out games at both Auburn and Alabama. He has also heard from Notre Dame and LSU, and talked with Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart over Facebook the other day.

"My interest in Alabama is really high," Williams said.

What position is Williams being recruited by Alabama? "Now that's an interesting question," he said. "They told me if I went there, they would probably open up the offense a little more and put me at the slot and running back. They would put me at a lot of different positions so that teams couldn't just focus on me playing one position each week."

What about UGA? Williams said he "hasn't talked in a while" to the coaches but remains committed to the Bulldogs. "Yes sir, I'd say I'm about 90-percent committed. I'm still a Dawg but I'm still looking at other places. And, you know, I'm letting schools know I'm open, and they have a chance of me playing college football for their team."

jbcarol

UGa AD Greg McGarity not changing stance on inviting recruits to Jacksonville

QuoteHe hasn't given any consideration to changing his stance of not inviting football recruits to the annual Georgia-Florida game, despite the fact that SEC rivals are taking full advantage of the new rule.

Under amended SEC legislation passed last June, member schools are permitted to give complimentary tickets to prospects when they are the "home team" at a neutral site, such as Saturday's game located in the fertile recruiting grounds of Florida.

Soon after the rule was announced, McGarity and his Florida counterpart, Jeremy Foley, made an agreement that neither school would entertain recruits for the "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" because of logistical concerns.

jbcarol

Is UGa in danger of losing the commitment of LB Naim Mustafaa after his recent official visit to Tennessee?

"No sir, I'm committed to Georgia," he said.

The 6-foot-4, 235-pounder is the son of former Georgia Tech standout Najee Mustafaa (fka Reggie Rutland), who played seven seasons in the NFL.

Quote"It was pretty good, the game was pretty packed and Tennessee lost, but I got a lot of love when I was down there," said Mustafaa, who met the next day with beleaguered coach Derek Dooley.

"He made sure my visit went well, and told me how he could use me in their system. I mean, I do like Tennessee because they run a 3-4 defense also. They got me at outside linebacker, and they've got Coach Sal (defensive coordinator Sal Sunseri)."

At least as of the end of October they have Coach Sunseri.

jbcarol

JaQuay Williams was the state o' Georgia's No. 1 prospect at wide receiver last year and signed with Auburn over UGa, et al.

QuoteWilliams, who fell short of meeting NCAA entrance requirements, is spending this fall at Virginia's Fork Union prep school [where former SEC great, the late Mel Turpin was a 6-11 Drum Major].

Due to Auburn's tough season and hot-seat rumors about Gene Chizik, there has been speculation for weeks that Williams might be thinking about de-committing from the Tigers.

His high school coach, Sandy Creek's Chip Walker: "It's one of them things at Fork Union where he's (not allowed) to have his cell phone with him all the time. I don't have a direct line to him.

"But until JaQuay tells me something differently, that's what I know. There's all kind of rumors out there about everything because Auburn hasn't won as many games as people wanted them to this season."

Walker, who has one player on his current roster committed to UGA (DB Shaq Wiggins), said he has not had any recent conversations with the Bulldog coaches about JaQuay.

jbcarol

North Carolina high school team Harrells Christian Academy scores 80 points and gets beat by three scores.

QuoteWill Grier threw for a national record 837 yards and 10  touchdowns as Davidson Day's air attack defeated Harrells Christian's ground game 104-80.

Grier, who has a weekly reservation in our MaxPreps National Stat Stars list, came into the game with nearly 4,500 passing yards, 54 touchdowns and just five interceptions.

Something had to give — but it was probably the scoreboard operator's fingers.

jbcarol

California JuCo DB Steven Nelson, who had been committed to UGa since last February, backed off his pledge to the Bulldogs.

He will likely decide between Oregon State and Texas Tech in December.

Nelson is a native of Warner Robins and, he is ranked as the nation's No. 2 DB out of the junior college ranks by 247sports.com.

"Steven did de-commit from Georgia but he has not committed anywhere else right now," Fred Zepeda, the defensive backs coach at the College of Sequoias junior college.

UGa's Recruiting Class of 2013 is now down to 27 commits including 5.8-rated Orlando Boone RB AJ Turman.

Quote"He didn't communicate very much with the DC at Georgia (defensive coordinator Todd Grantham)," Zepeda said. "The only coach that he was communicating with was (UGA defensive backs coach Scott Lakatos). The relationship between the DC coach and Steven wasn't there.

"When Steven went on an unofficial to Georgia last summer, he just briefly spoke with the staff. He didn't really get to sit down with them like he wanted to, other than Coach Lakatos.

"You know it was the 'relationship factor' between Steven and Georgia.

"Then you've got (Oregon State defensive back coach) Rod Perry. He's got 17 years of experience in the NFL, and that was pretty big, too.

"Steven just never felt the same connection with the Georgia coaches."

UGA has lost four commits from its 2013 class — RB Derrick Henry (Alabama), WR Kyrin Priester (NC State), OL Trenton Brown (undecided) and Nelson.

jbcarol

Minutes after decommitting from Tennessee, one of the top safeties in the '13 class, from Mesquite Kameron Miles committed to A&M.

jbcarol

Here's some of those Auburn, Tennessee and Kentucky recruits from the state of Georgia that could be looking elsewhere due in part to coaching uncertainty.

QuoteReuben Foster is the No. 1 prize in Auburn's 2013 recruiting class.

Ja'Quay Williams was the state's No. 1 prospect at wide receiver last year out of Sandy Creek. Originally signed with Auburn.

Lovejoy 6-6 TE AJ Jackson de-committed from Auburn last month, but then claimed it was a "miscommunication."

Central Gwinnett High School's Trey Johnson may be the state's best linebacker. He's committed to Auburn but...

Carl Lawson is ranked as the nation's No. 2 overall prospect by ESPN. The defensive end is committed to Auburn and will wait until after his senior season at Milton to consider other colleges.

Cam Sutton, a Jonesboro DB, is one of three Georgia players committed to Tennessee.

Walton's Jake Boynton committed to Kentucky over a ton over smaller schools. Will the 6-foot-7, 280-pound offensive lineman attract some bigger fish as it gets closer to signing day? Likely.

jbcarol

State of Georgia recruits react visibly and as one to Dooley's firing

QuoteTennessee has three commitments from the state: Jonesboro High School DB CamSutton, LaGrange High School DE Joe Sanders, and Grayson High School LB Zach Barnes.

All three told the AJC that they remain committed to Tennessee...

jbcarol

State of Georgia's No. 1 DB flips from South Carolina to UGa

QuoteLongtime UGA football recruit Tray Matthews predicted a commitment for the Bulldogs on Tuesday.

He was right.

Brendan Langley, a highly-regarded cornerback from Kell High School, told the AJC he committed to UGA on Tuesday after backing off his pledge to South Carolina earlier in the day.

Langley is a 6-foot-1, 190-pounder who has the height that UGA defensive coordinator Todd Grantham covets at the corner position. Langley is a consensus 4-star and considered by some to be the state's No. 1 prospect at cornerback.

jbcarol

Georgia's "Recruiting Prophet" unnerves some with vague posts.

Has been 100% right to-date.

QuoteLongtime UGA safety commit Tray Matthews, who predicted a recruit committing to the Bulldogs on Twitter on Tuesday, had another message for his followers on late Wednesday night:

"Another commit coming soon ladies & gentlemen"

When Matthews speaks, people listen. And commits commit – to UGA.

Matthews is a true UGA recruiting insider. He has been pledged to the Bulldogs since two summers ago, communicates with Mark Richt and staff on a regular basis, and chitchats with recruits all the time...

The one that would floor UGA fans would be 4-star LB Reuben Foster, who is committed to (tattooed) Auburn but still flirting with the ...

jbcarol

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/11/25/house-call-uga-picks-up-commitment-no-30-at-mark-richts-digs/

Kennar Johnson, a 6-foot-3, 190-pound safety from Mississippi Gulf Coast junior college, picked UGA over Ole Miss, South Florida and Mississippi State. He is commitment No. 30 for UGA's 2013 recruiting class.

"Coach Richt was very excited," Johnson told the AJC. "He was happy and he hugged me a couple of times. His wife and his brother-in-law and his son ... they were happy as well."

Somewhere, UGA defensive coordinator Todd Grantham had to be happy, too. Johnson is expected to be an immediate contributor next year to a defense that will lose at least 8 out of 11 starters. Johnson graduates from junior college in December and will enroll at UGA in January.

"I just felt it at Georgia," Johnson said...

jbcarol

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/11/27/recruiting-wars-nick-saban-vs-mark-richt/

Georgia is almost like a second home to Saban.

When a reporter suggested last spring that Saban recruits the state almost as if he lives in it, the coach quickly replied "Well, I still have a home in Georgia" – a reference to the mansion he owns on Lake Burton in northeast Georgia.

"What we try to do in our recruiting is do a really good job in a five-hour radius of our Tuscaloosa area," Saban said. "We obviously want to do a great job in our own state.  It just happens that a large part of Georgia where there's a lot of population, a lot of good football players and programs, fall into that sort of circumference.

"We do have some very good players from Georgia. They have a lot of good players from Georgia, too.  I think it speaks well of the great high school football they have in Georgia, the good programs they have, how players are developed, how important football is in that state. It's an important part of our recruiting, that entire five-hour radius, for us."

Last year, Richt's signature recruiting victory over Alabama was rallying from far, far behind – with assistance from UGA defensive coordinator Todd Grantham — to win over Harris County High School DE Jordan Jenkins, who was considered a longtime lean to the Crimson Tide.

This year, Saban is not doing as well in Georgia, although he may still put together another No. 1 class.

jbcarol

Kissimmee Osceola DB Hassan Childs decommits NC State after firing of Tom O'Brien

"I talked to the coach who was going to be my position coach ... and since he's not goig to be there either, I've decided to decommit NC State and I'm going to open up my options," Childs said.

His most recent option looks to be Vanderbilt, who reached out to Childs on Facebook just this morning, figuring there might be fallout from the firing. Also in the mix for Childs are Purdue, which also just fired head coach Danny Hope, and USF, Utah State, and of course, Penn State.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/recruiting/os-kissimmee-osceola-db-hassan-childs-decommits-nc-state-20121126,0,6981461.post

jbcarol

Krenwick Sanders a 6-foot-2, 180-pound wide receiver from Wayne County High School picked UGA over early football scholarship offers from Vanderbilt, South Florida and UNC.

"It was out of the blue," Wayne County coach Jody Grooms told the AJC.

Sanders is a junior, and one of three commits for UGA's 2014 class. He makes up for the recent loss of Sandy Creek High School junior WR Demarre Kitt, who backed off his longtime pledge to the Bulldogs. UGA has 30 commitments for its 2013 class.

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/11/29/wr-makes-the-call-to-uga-to-commit-to-the-bulldogs/?cxntfid=blogs_recruiting

jbcarol

Finally a look at UGa's Big Board

QuoteThe Bulldogs have 30 commitments, and project to sign between 33-35 in February.

Despite the SEC's new rules on oversigning and a 25-man limit per class, UGA can sign as many 36...

COMMITTED DB's

S *Tray Matthews, 6-2, 215, Newnan HS
S Paris Bostick, 6-2, 220, Tampa, Fla.
S Shaquille Fluker, 6-1, 205, East Mississippi JC
S *Quincy Mauger, 6-0, 197, Kell HS
S *Kennar Johnson, 6-2, 180, Mississippi Gulf Coast JC
CB Shaq Wiggins, 5-9, 160, Sandy Creek HS
CB *Brendan Langley, 6-1, 190, Kell HS
CB *Reggie Wilkerson, 6-0, Citra, Fla.

TOP REMAINING TARGETS

DT Montravius Adams, 6-3, 300, Dooly County HS (Clemson, Florida and UGA are among leaders)
OT Laremy Tunsil, 6-6, 260, Lake City, Fla. (UGA and Alabama are co-leaders)
RB Alvin Kamara, 5-10, 190, Norcross HS (Alabama and UGA are co-leaders)
DT Toby Johnson, 6-4, 305, Hutchinson JC (Tennessee and UGA are among leaders)
LB Reuben Foster, 6-1, 240, Auburn, Ala. (Committed to Auburn and considers assistant Trooper Taylor to be a father figure but still flirting with UGA)
OG Tyrone Crowder, 6-2, 310, Rockingham, N.C. (Clemson , North Carolina and UGA are leaders)

jbcarol

http://www.mrsec.com/2012/12/matt-rolin-switches-commitment-to-florida/

Linebacker Matt Rolin from Briar Woods High School in Ashburn, Va., has switched his commitment from South Carolina to Florida.

Rolin, who's ranked the nation's No. 7 outside linebacker by ESPNU, originally committed to South Carolina in May.

"Going back on my word is something I never imagined myself doing and it hurt me to do it, but in (the) end I have (to) do what's best for me," Rolin wrote.

jbcarol

One of UGA's former recruits will be playing for the archrival Florida Gators.

Trenton Brown, a 6-foot-8, 350-pound offensive lineman from Georgia Military junior college, revealed that he had committed to Florida over Oklahoma and Florida State this weekend. Brown had been secretly pledged to the Gators for a while, and finally went public on Sunday.

"It was because Florida's faithfulness, and them being here with me throughout the whole process, even when I was committed to Georgia," Brown told the AJC. "They've been with me since day one. They were the most faithful."

UGA and Brown had a tumultuous recruiting relationship...

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/12/10/ex-uga-football-recruit-will-be-playing-for-archrival-florida-gators/

jbcarol

http://247sports.com/Article/SEC-East-Recruiting-2013-Immediate-Impacts-105945

Not that many years ago, it was uncommon for true freshmen to do much in the rugged Southeastern Conference.

To put it mildly, times have changed.

247Sports identifies the prospects currently committed to East Division programs that are most likely to make an instant impact in 2013.

FLORIDA
IMMEDIATE IMPACT RECRUIT: Kelvin Taylor, RB, Belle Glade (Fla.) Glades Day School
THE SKINNY: With 1,000-yard rusher Mike Gillislee departing...

jbcarol

Running back Johnathan Ford (New Hope, Ala.) was a terrific early find by Vanderbilt head coach James Franklin and staff. The 5-foot-11, 190-pound explosive playmaker committed to the Commodores last April, but a sensational senior campaign has led to the Top247 prospects stock soaring since the end of the season.

"Mississippi State, Tennesee, Bama and Auburn have been calling," Ford said. "I talked to (new Vols head coach) Butch Jones today. He said he really loved my tape, I was really explosive and he said he needs a guy like me to play on his team as a true freshman. They offered me and are trying to get me to visit, but we haven't set anything up."

Like Tennessee, Auburn's newly hired-head coach Gus Malzahn quickly made contact with Ford and thanks to the NCAA lifting restrictions on college coaches attending practices, the Tigers staff will get a chance to see him compete in this setting this week.

"I talked to (Malzahn) late last week," Ford said. "He was talking to me about the offense and how he could implement me. He said they are going to be down here (Montgomery) this week."

If the interest from Tennessee and Auburn wasn't enough, defending national champion Alabama is also calling with the intent to set up an official visit.

"They (the Crimson Tide) want me to come up on an official visit," Ford said. "(Alabama assistant and 247Sports National Recruiter of the Year for the 2012 cycle) Jeremy Pruitt has been the one mainly recruiting me. They want me to visit on Jan. 11, I think."

http://247sports.com/Article/Auburn-Alabama-looking-at-Vanderbilt-commit-Jonathan-Ford-106161

jbcarol

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20121210/ARTICLES/121219955/1189?Title=Gators-lose-Powell-commitment-for-13

A day after landing three recruits, Florida coach Will Muschamp lost a member of his 2013 class when Daytona Beach Mainland linebacker Quinton Powell decommitted from the Gators.

"Yes I decommitted from Florida, nothing against the program just needed to re-evaluate my choices," he wrote on his account.

The 6-foot-2, 200-pounder was one of six prospects who committed to the Gators during their Feb. 18th Junior Day. But in September, Powell expressed interest in visiting Miami, Oregon and Southern Cal.

Powell's solidified status with the Gators quickly diminished when they flipped South Carolina linebacker commit Matt Rolin (Ashburn, Va./Briar Woods) on Sunday. Powell has always been against coming in as a freshman with three other prospects at his position, and that ultimately led to his decommitment.

UF now has 24 members in its 2013 class and three linebackers.

Quote from: jbcarol on December 10, 2012, 10:02:20 am
http://www.mrsec.com/2012/12/matt-rolin-switches-commitment-to-florida/

Linebacker Matt Rolin from Briar Woods High School in Ashburn, Va., has switched his commitment from South Carolina to Florida.

Rolin, who's ranked the nation's No. 7 outside linebacker by ESPNU, originally committed to South Carolina in May.

"Going back on my word is something I never imagined myself doing and it hurt me to do it, but in (the) end I have (to) do what's best for me," Rolin wrote.

Powell and Rolin are both 5.8-rated LBs by Rivals.

jbcarol

December 12, 2012, 07:25:56 pm #86 Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:52:05 am by jbcarol
Alvin Kamara: UGA or Alabama for 4-star RB?

The 5-foot-10, 195-pound Kamara is another one in the pipeline of prospects out of Norcross, the Gwinnett County powerhouse.

"He can just do so many things," Norcross coach Keith Maloof said. "He can catch the ball out of the backfield and had a 65-yard scoring reception (in the semifinals). He threw a touchdown pass (in the quarterfinals) ... The kid can do just about anything you ask him to do."

How fast is Kamara? "He's quick," Maloof said. "When he gets his shoulders squared north and south, he can get skinny through the (defensive front), get to the secondary and make people miss."

Last Friday, Alabama's Kirby Smart and UGA's Mike Bobo were among the assistants that attended the Norcross win over Colquitt County in the semifinals to observe Kamara.

What about UGA? Kamara is the recruit that the Bulldogs desperately seek on offense, especially after 5-star Derrick Henry defected to Alabama.

https://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/12/12/alvin-kamara-uga-or-alabama-for-4-star-rb-2/

jbcarol

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/12/12/ajc-super-11-wr-flips-from-clemson-to-florida-gators/

AJC Super 11 wide receiver Demarcus Robinson switched his commitment from Clemson to Florida on Wednesday.

Robinson is the third 2013 prospect from Georgia to de-commit from Clemson, following the Grayson High School duo of DT Robert Nkemdiche and DB David Kamara (both are undecided).

"I have a chance to play as a freshman, and I wanted to play in the SEC, so I'm a Gator now," Robinson told the Gainesville Sun's Zach Abolverdi. "They've recruited me harder than anyone else."

A few months ago, Robinson had described himself as a "soft" commitment to Clemson, but then said he was solid after taking an official visit with the Tigers in early November. The Peach County High School standout expects to enroll early at Florida in January.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on December 13, 2012, 07:51:12 am
http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/12/12/ajc-super-11-wr-flips-from-clemson-to-florida-gators/

AJC Super 11 wide receiver Demarcus Robinson switched his commitment from Clemson to Florida on Wednesday.

Robinson is the third 2013 prospect from Georgia to de-commit from Clemson, following the Grayson High School duo of DT Robert Nkemdiche and DB David Kamara (both are undecided).

"I have a chance to play as a freshman, and I wanted to play in the SEC, so I'm a Gator now," Robinson told the Gainesville Sun's Zach Abolverdi. "They've recruited me harder than anyone else."

A few months ago, Robinson had described himself as a "soft" commitment to Clemson, but then said he was solid after taking an official visit with the Tigers in early November. The Peach County High School standout expects to enroll early at Florida in January.

Robinson, who attends Peach County High School in Fort Valley, Ga., had been committed to Clemson since July. But things changed when he received a visit Tuesday from Florida coach Will Muschamp, running backs coach Brian White and newly-hired wide receivers coach Joker Phillips.

"They've recruited me harder than anyone else," Robinson said of Florida. "I was impressed with the season they had and I can tell they really need me next year."

Robinson is Florida's 25th commitments for the class of 2013.

http://www.mrsec.com/2012/12/receiver-robinson-flips-from-clemson-to-florida/

jbcarol

Tyson: Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel might be the happiest guy on campus. Not just because of his sudden success this season, but because the Gators are bringing in a plethora of talent for him at wide receiver.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/57803/gatornation-links-another-big-weekend

jbcarol

Auburn's 2013 recruiting class has lost three commitments since the dismissal of Gene Chizik and could be on the verge of losing another this weekend. Ft. Lauderdale athlete Lemond Johnson, who committed to Auburn in June, is wrapping up a two-day visit to Knoxville and according to an interview with 247Sports, Johnson might leave town committed to the Vols.

"It's kind of a good possibility I might change my mind about going to Auburn because I really wanted to do the mid-year thing and come in mid-year, and they said, because of them switching coaches, I can't come in mid-year there," Johnson told 247Sports.

One major factor in Johnson's potential switch to the Vols is Tennessee's recent hiring of former Auburn assistant Tommy Thigpen, who recruited Johnson for the Tigers.

"It's a pretty good part of me coming (to Tennessee), just because we talked about once or twice a week," Johnson said.

Johnson plans on making a final decision soon, since he wants to enroll at his school of choice in time for the spring semester.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2012/12/auburn_commit_lemond_johnson_c.html

jbcarol

Linebacker Jarrad Davis switches commitment from Auburn to Florida

The Auburn Tigers lost their third linebacker commitment in as many weeks on Saturday night as Kingsland, Georgia star Jarrad Davis flipped his commitment from the Tigers to the Florida Gators.

"They (Florida) extended the offer last night, and he felt at some point today that he would do it. Felt like that's where he wanted to go to all along," said Jeff Herron, Davis' head coach at Camden County...

Auburn now has 14 players committed to its 2013 recruiting class...

jbcarol

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/12/15/some-tough-news-for-ugas-football-recruiting/

UGA got some bad recruiting news on Saturday.

Tramel Terry, one of the team's top commitments for 2013, suffered a serious knee injury on the first play of Saturday's Shrine Bowl all-star game between the top high school football players in South Carolina and North Carolina.

Terry, the RB-WR from Goose Creek (S.C.) High School, may have torn his ACL

The 5-foot-11, 190-pound Terry is an early high school graduate and will enroll at UGA next month, but his status for spring practice is unknown due to rehabilitation from the injury.

It was heart-breaking news for Terry, who had twice committed to UGA and decided a few weeks ago that he would go ahead and stick with the Bulldogs rather than to flip to Clemson.

jbcarol

Onetime UGA and Georgia Tech OL target, Delando Crooks, committed to Vanderbilt on Sunday night.

The 6-foot-5, 272-pound offensive tackle from Carver-Atlanta High School picked Vanderbilt over North Carolina and Purdue. Crooks is ranked as a consensus 3-star recruit.

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/12/17/onetime-uga-and-georgia-tech-ol-target-headed-to-sec-rival/

jbcarol

Florida's home run hit with Demarcus Robinson turned out to be a foul ball.

The four-star receiver from Fort Valley, Ga., recommitted to Clemson on Monday after officially visited UF over the weekend and pledging to the Gators last Wednesday.

Robinson's recruitment is certainly a head scratcher, but the latest chapter makes some sense. Chad Campbell, high school at Peach County, revealed Friday that Robinson was "50-50″ after meeting with Clemson coaches the day after his flip to Florida.

And based on Campbell's comments in this article, it's pretty obvious where he wants Robinson to go. The two met Sunday night to evaluate both schools. When he switched his commitment back to the Tigers, Campbell wrote "He is going to Clemson!!" in a text message to ESPN.

Robinson's mother, Alexis, also wasn't the biggest fan of the Gators. She was openly supportive of his decision on her Facebook account, but privately she preferred Clemson and Notre Dame over UF and that played a factor.

When you consider those two influences along with Robinson's displeasure with Florida's passing game and his relationship with Dabo Swinney's staff, it's not surprising this happened.

So who does UF turn to now for its fifth receiver? The Gators will continue to fight for Robinson, but with the Dead Period now in effect until Jan. 3, it won't be easy to change his mind before he enrolls early.

Some names to watch moving forward are James Clark (New Smyrna Beach), James Quick (Louisville, Ky./Trinity), Marquez North (Charlotte, N.C./Mallard Creek), Tony Stevens (Orlando Evans) and Laquon Treadwell (Crete, Ill./Crete Monee). The latter four appear to be long shots at this point, while Clark might commit on the spot if he gets offered.

http://recruiting.blogs.gatorsports.com/14496/notebook-gators-looking-for-fifth-wr-again/

Joker Phillips is new recruiting coordinator for Florida.  He will take over WR position duties after their bowl game.

jbcarol

Conventional wisdom held that four-star East Mississippi CC defensive end Za'Darius Smith was down to Mississippi State and Texas A&M, with Texas having an extreme outside shot of landing his services. Instead, Smith opted to sign with Kentucky on Wednesday, giving new head coach Mark Stoops the most significant recruiting coup of his short tenure.

Kentucky hiring East Mississippi CC DL coach Jimmy Brumbaugh must have been the difference maker here. Only thing that makes sense

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2012/12/19/3784604/juco-de-zadarius-smith-commits-kentucky-wildcats-over-texas-aggies-mississippi-state-bulldogs

jbcarol

jbcarol

Darryl Slater ‏@DarrylSlater
USC football signs junior college CB Ronnie Martin of Spartanburg. Plans to enroll in January. Has two years of eligibility left.

Darryl Slater ‏@DarrylSlater
Martin was going to join USC in Class of 2011, but had to go to JUCO. Was No. 46 CB and No. 15 player in state by Rivals in Class of 2011.

jbcarol

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/58032/florida-lands-top-2014-qb-target

Florida's 2014 class got a little better when junior quarterback Will Grier from Davidson (N.C.) Day committed to the Gators via Twitter.

The commitment of Grier, who is an ESPN Watch List prospect, gives Florida three verbals in its 2014 class. As a junior, Grier, who is a dual-threat QB, threw for 5,785 yards and 69 touchdowns with just six interceptions, completing 78 percent of his passes along the way. He also rushed for 813 yards and scored eight rushing touchdowns.

This is a pretty big get for Muschamp.

jbcarol

UGa is looking for a few good men to finish up its 2013 recruiting class.

The Bulldogs have 30 commitments, and will likely finish up with 33-35 by national signing day on Feb. 6.

Which prospects is UGA targeting to fill out those last remaining spots? Recruiting coordinator Rodney Garner can't reveal names due to NCAA rules. But he did mention some positions of need to the AJC this week:

"There's still some defensive line spots that we need to fill because of the attrition that we're going to experience there," he said. "There's probably an offensive tackle there. We definitely need a tackle more than a guard-type body. And another skill guy, the best available athlete we can find."

Garner feels good so far about this year's class – which will be Georgia's largest since signing 31 in 2002.

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/12/20/uga-looking-for-a-few-good-men-to-finish-out-2013-class/