Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clay Henry is blaming the secondary?

Started by Niels Boar, September 11, 2005, 12:45:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Niels Boar

WTH?  I only listened to the game, but, of course, that won't stop me from having a strong opinion.

According to the Vandy broadcast, we were blitzing on every play.  According to the live stats, we had one sack with under 3 minutes to go.  Doesn't that mean some D-backs were being left on islands all night?  What usually happens when you blitz a good QB and don't get to him?

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: Niels Boar on September 11, 2005, 12:45:30 am
WTH? I only listened to the game, but, of course, that won't stop me from having a strong opinion.

According to the Vandy broadcast, we were blitzing on every play. According to the live stats, we had one sack with under 3 minutes to go. Doesn't that mean some D-backs were being left on islands all night? What usually happens when you blitz a good QB and don't get to him?

Clays an idiot, Nuff said.  He is about as competent analyzing games as Nutt is coaching them.

Biggus Piggus

Cutler was under .500 completion until the fourth quarter, when we didn't make a single first down.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

I come back to Robert Johnson not making good plays on third downs on our last four drives of the first half, when we should have put the game away, and instead Vanderbilt tied us.
[CENSORED]!

OklaU

Of all the sports media guys out there....Clay is the biggest joke of them all.   :puke:

I can handle almost everyone but Clay Henry with Dummy Dawson right behind him.
"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

arkhogdog61

THE SECONDARY DID SUCK ALL NIGHT THAT LITTLE SLANT KILLED US AND WHAT 4 OR 5 PASS INTERFERENCE CALLS. MISSED TACKLES JUST STUPID BUT THAT WASN'T WHY WE LOST ONE WORD NUTT!
IF YOU CAN"T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH!

Hoggam's Razor

A lot of Cutlers first half misses were off of someones hands.....he didn't throw very many passes that were off the mark.
He made me feel like I felt when Eli Manning was playing.....
I hate it when people complain.

Biggus Piggus

I didn't read Clay's story that way.  He focused mainly on the defense's inability to stop Vanderbilt on the two TD drives.  He also mentioned Robert Johnson's failure to make plays when needed.  Man, this offensive showing reminds me so much of the Auburn game in 2003.  A combination of crude simplicity, strangely timed deviations from conservatism, and then sad desperation on the final drive.
[CENSORED]!

Oklahawg

I actually think the secondary played okay, save the screwed up coverage switch on the pick play which led to the long gain in the 3rd quarter; and, the 1st TD of the 4th quarter when Coe just got beat and couldn't close the gap on a ball with enough loft to be batted away.

The coverage on the slants was tight. The completions were the result of great receivers. Or, at the least, great catches. On more than one occasion we had a hand on the ball and they caught it. Receptions were met with hard hits on most occasions.  We had Cutler at 100 yards halfway through the 3rd period. I was very comfy with that. The penalties had to be the result of the Vandy sideline beefing all night long. I didn't see much difference on a couple of the calls.

The game can be explained in many ways. One is this: Vandy receivers caught passes that they touched; UA receivers did not. Cutler had one bad pass, the int to Coe. RJ had ten bad passes.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Niels Boar

QuoteI didn't read Clay's story that way.  He focused mainly on the defense's inability to stop Vanderbilt on the two TD drives.  He also mentioned Robert Johnson's failure to make plays when needed.  Man, this offensive showing reminds me so much of the Auburn game in 2003.  A combination of crude simplicity, strangely timed deviations from conservatism, and then sad desperation on the final drive.

This was the comment that surprised me:

"But, make no mistake, the Arkansas secondary, supposedly much improved, made (Cutler) look like super man in a 28-24 loss. "

That sounded harsh to me since we were blitzing so often, but I don't know how effective the pressure was. 

JJHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 11, 2005, 01:15:54 am
I actually think the secondary played okay, save the screwed up coverage switch on the pick play which led to the long gain in the 3rd quarter; and, the 1st TD of the 4th quarter when Coe just got beat and couldn't close the gap on a ball with enough loft to be batted away.

The coverage on the slants was tight. The completions were the result of great receivers. Or, at the least, great catches. On more than one occasion we had a hand on the ball and they caught it. Receptions were met with hard hits on most occasions. We had Cutler at 100 yards halfway through the 3rd period. I was very comfy with that. The penalties had to be the result of the Vandy sideline beefing all night long. I didn't see much difference on a couple of the calls.

The game can be explained in many ways. One is this: Vandy receivers caught passes that they touched; UA receivers did not. Cutler had one bad pass, the int to Coe. RJ had ten bad passes.

senioir qb vs a unproven rs sph.
" Think Right, Do Right"

Turnberry

Quote from: HoopHog on September 11, 2005, 02:38:42 am
I blame Clay Henry...for being an all around tool. He needs to get his medications regulated.

He must of bee adopted?  Nothing like his father.
aka PlanoHog

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 11, 2005, 12:51:16 am
Cutler was under .500 completion until the fourth quarter, when we didn't make a single first down.

Since we were so bad in the 4th Q, not scoring any points and no first downs, I sure hope that the Hog players didn't all hold up 4 fingers at the beginning of the 4th Q. That would be embarrassing to have to remember you did that after playing like that in the last quarter....at home.