Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A fresh start probably a necessity now

Started by Niels Boar, September 10, 2005, 11:24:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Niels Boar

Nutt was at a tipping point.  This game had "danger, danger, Will Robinson" written all over it.  Vandy has an All-SEC QB.  We have an All-Pop Warner front seven.  Our special teams are chronically high-school level.  That alone meant Vandy had a puncher's chance, and they landed one square to the jaw in round 15. 

The angst of Razorback Nation was already building.  The Vandy announcers were laughing at the boos spurred by the 5-yard pass on 3rd and long.  The angst will start approaching Nolanesque proportions now.  Nutt badly needed to do something spectacular before any result that even approximated a shocking upset.  He didn't.  He's got the rest of the season to pull a miracle.  I lost faith a while back, though.  Boy, wouldn't it be nice to see Butch Davis on the sideline this time next year?  Weis certainly shows that coaching matters.  While I'm dreaming, I wouldn't mind if Rick Majerus were in the stands getting ready for BB practice.  Maybe Heath will surprise me. Nutt sure hasn't.  I'm tired of coming up short for the same reasons year after year. 

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Niels Boar on September 10, 2005, 11:24:31 pm
Nutt was at a tipping point.  This game had "danger, danger, Will Robinson" written all over it.  Vandy has an All-SEC QB.  We have an All-Pop Warner front seven.  Our special teams are chronically high-school level.  That alone meant Vandy had a puncher's chance, and they landed one square to the jaw in round 15. 

The angst of Razorback Nation was already building.  The Vandy announcers were laughing at the boos spurred by the 5-yard pass on 3rd and long.  The angst will start approaching Nolanesque proportions now.  Nutt badly needed to do something spectacular before any result that even approximated a shocking upset.  He didn't.  He's got the rest of the season to pull a miracle.  I lost faith a while back, though.  Boy, wouldn't it be nice to see Butch Davis on the sideline this time next year?  Weis certainly shows that coaching matters.  While I'm dreaming, I wouldn't mind if Rick Majerus were in the stands getting ready for BB practice.  Maybe Heath will surprise me. Nutt sure hasn't.  I'm tired of coming up short for the same reasons year after year. 

You're more of a fool than i ever thought you were. Butch Davis is washed up...another DAnny Ford, unemployed and waiting in the wings. He doesn't want the job. He would not be good for the job. He'll not be the next head football coach at U of A....at least I hope he's not.

Both Nutt and JFB will be gone by year's end - and rightly so.

cityhog

Quote from: HogInMemphis on September 10, 2005, 11:32:31 pm
Quote from: Niels Boar on September 10, 2005, 11:24:31 pm

You're more of a fool than i ever thought you were. Butch Davis is washed up...another DAnny Ford, unemployed and waiting in the wings. He doesn't want the job. He would not be good for the job. He'll not be the next head football coach at U of A....at least I hope he's not.

agreed on all accounts....still, not sure HDN won't be here...he has a free pass this year remember?

WindyCityHog

Okay HiM....I'll bite.  Your choice for coach?

I agree with you that JFB needs to go as well....

HogInMemphis

Quote from: WindyCityHog on September 10, 2005, 11:36:27 pm

I have no idea. Wish we'd fire HDN last year like I wanted and hired Urban Meyer or Spurrier. But, we screwed that up by hanging on to Nutt while he courted LSU. Waht a joke. I do know that Butch Davis is not who we want. We need an experienced head coach who is young, hungry and intelligent: read - able to delegate, manage, recruit and coach.

WindyCityHog

Quote from: HogInMemphis on September 10, 2005, 11:38:44 pm
Quote from: WindyCityHog on September 10, 2005, 11:36:27 pm

I have no idea. Wish we'd fire HDN last year like I wanted and hired Urban Meyer or Spurrier. But, we screwed that up by hanging on to Nutt while he courted LSU. Waht a joke. I do know that Butch Davis is not who we want. We need an experienced head coach who is young, hungry and intelligent: read - able to delegate, manage, recruit and coach.

Another source of contention....I somewhat agree with you, but Butch Davis would be better than what we have patrolling the sidelines now.....and I don't think Spurrier  fits your "experienced head coach who is young, hungry, and intelligent"...at least from the "young and hungry" perspective.

Dan Hawkins....I like the guy.

Biggus Piggus

I don't know what makes Butch Davis washed up.
[CENSORED]!

Niels Boar

QuoteI have no idea. Wish we'd fire HDN last year like I wanted and hired Urban Meyer or Spurrier

And what the hell makes Davis any different than Spurrier?  Yeah, Spurrier set the world on fire in the NFL.  The team that Davis left at Miami was much better than what Spurrier left at UF, and they were recruiting the same state. Davis would certainly have had at least one 1 championship had he stayed.  With Miami sliding some the last two years, I'd say the job Davis did is looking better by the day.  To compare him to Ford is moronic.

WindyCityHog

Perhaps the reported "burn out" he experienced with the Browns......otherwise....I dunno.

He WOULD be better than what we have....that can NOT be argued.  The plus side....He's from the area....and he has been a head coach in the NFL.

I'm not completely sold on him, but he is FAR better than HDN.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 10, 2005, 11:49:59 pm
I don't know what makes Butch Davis washed up.

What made Danny Ford washed up? He surely was.

mikeirwin

[You're more of a fool than i ever thought you were. Butch Davis is washed up...another DAnny Ford, unemployed and waiting in the wings. He doesn't want the job. He would not be good for the job. He'll not be the next head football coach at U of A....at least I hope he's not.

Nutt will be gone but not Broyles. If Frank hires anyone but Butch it will be a slap in the face to Johnny Tyson who has patiently waited for this moment to arrive.
I have no idea why you think Butch is washed up. What, because he didn't win at Cleveland ? Spurrier didn't win at Washington. So what ?
I do know that Tyson will make Butch an offer he can't refuse and Frank will not stand in the way.

Biggus Piggus

Ford was a never-had-been who inherited a great team.  Davis resurrected Miami from probation.  You're talking about a huge gap between the two.  Question is what Butch wants.
[CENSORED]!

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 10, 2005, 11:55:59 pm
Ford was a never-had-been who inherited a great team.  Davis resurrected Miami from probation.  You're talking about a huge gap between the two.  Question is what Butch wants.

What age is Butch?

mikeirwin

Quote from: HogInMemphis on September 10, 2005, 11:57:46 pm

What age is Butch?
He looks to be mid 50's, maybe a little older.

idochog

Quote from: mikeirwin on September 10, 2005, 11:55:08 pm
[You're more of a fool than i ever thought you were. Butch Davis is washed up...another DAnny Ford, unemployed and waiting in the wings. He doesn't want the job. He would not be good for the job. He'll not be the next head football coach at U of A....at least I hope he's not.

Nutt will be gone but not Broyles. If Frank hires anyone but Butch it will be a slap in the face to Johnny Tyson who has patiently waited for this moment to arrive.
I have no idea why you think Butch is washed up. What, because he didn't win at Cleveland ? Spurrier didn't win at Washington. So what ?
I do know that Tyson will make Butch an offer he can't refuse and Frank will not stand in the way.

You got my hopes up.  Is someone gonna have the balls to step and replace HDN and then deviate from our cheap ways and hire a real proven guy like Butch Davis.

JFB got it right when he got Van Horn.  Lets do it right w/ football.  The fans are aching for a winner.
I love Jesus!

HogInMemphis

Quote from: idochog on September 10, 2005, 11:59:44 pm

You got my hopes up.  Is someone gonna have the balls to step and replace HDN and then deviate from our cheap ways and hire a real proven guy like Butch Davis.

JFB got it right when he got Van Horn.  Lets do it right w/ football.  The fans are aching for a winner.
I've said for 2 years to spend the same money on a head coach that is equivalent to what we've spent on our facilities. Round up the same $2 million that Spurrier makes, that LSU paid whatshisface last year, and get the best coach available. That will do it. Hell, pay Jimmy Johnson $5 million per year for all I care. Get a proven quantity and go with it.

JackJohnson

Quote from: mikeirwin on September 10, 2005, 11:58:49 pm
Quote from: HogInMemphis on September 10, 2005, 11:57:46 pm
Ford was a never-had-been who inherited a great team. Davis resurrected Miami from probation. You're talking about a huge gap between the two. Question is what Butch wants.

What age is Butch?
He looks to be mid 50's, maybe a little older.

Says here he was born Nov 17, 1951.  BTW, this is a GREAT read.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_room/news/arts/398.0.html

Oh, and HIM, Pete Carroll was also a washed out ex NFL head coach

Niels Boar

QuotePerhaps the reported "burn out" he experienced with the Browns......otherwise....I dunno

That has happened to a lot of very good coaches.  Bill Walsh has revealed that he essentially had a nervous breakdown at one point.  I don't think Joe Gibbs, Bill Parcells, and Dick Vermeil left coaching because they were having too much fun.

jreaganhog

be gone" comment.  It seemed to be rather definitive...is that comment driven by anything in particular occuring after tonights game or by your experience with JFB and his handling of these situations in the past? 

If it is predestined that Nutt is gone, will they wait for the end of the season?

Nice call on the outcome of the game btw.

mikeirwin

Look guys. Johnny Tyson has given a wad of cash to this program over the past several years. He's been jumping up and down like a kid with his hand up in class saying, Frank. Frank. I can get you Butch. I promise I can. Just say the word.
You don't ignore a guy like that forever. Not unless you are stupid. Frank ain't stupid.

Hog Vader

Quote from: HogInMemphis on September 11, 2005, 12:02:15 am

I've said for 2 years to spend the same money on a head coach that is equivalent to what we've spent on our facilities. Round up the same $2 million that Spurrier makes, that LSU paid whatshisface last year, and get the best coach available. That will do it. Hell, pay Jimmy Johnson $5 million per year for all I care. Get a proven quantity and go with it.

I agree, the longer this goes on with Nutt it doesnt matter what he does, he is damaged goods and the top talents even in our home state arnt gonna wanna play for him. We a need a name cach that will bring in recruits not just because he is a good recruiter but because he has a natioanlly recognized name that will attract top talent year in year out.
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. -  Theodore Roosevelt

idochog

Quote from: Hog Vader on September 11, 2005, 12:14:23 am

You got my hopes up. Is someone gonna have the balls to step and replace HDN and then deviate from our cheap ways and hire a real proven guy like Butch Davis.

JFB got it right when he got Van Horn. Lets do it right w/ football. The fans are aching for a winner.

I agree, the longer this goes on with Nutt it doesnt matter what he does, he is damaged goods and the top talents even in our home state arnt gonna wanna play for him. We a need a name cach that will bring in recruits not just because he is a good recruiter but because he has a natioanlly recognized name that will attract top talent year in year out.

Lets just say this, I bet you money if we hired Butch Davis, his 1st class will be better than any of the 8 classes HDN has brought in.
I love Jesus!

ocelot_ark

EXACTLY. You bring in a NAME coach like Jimmy Johnson or Butch Davis and the recruits will take notice. If you have to pay $3 million a year, it'll even out from season ticket sales, weeklies, concessions, and people who are stunned that little Ole' Arkansas isn't as bad as the media would have us believe. Basically, you're committing a recruiting violation LEGALLY by hiring a huge name coach. You tell me...if you're a recruit and Bob Stoops, Mack Brown, and Jimmy Johsnon/Butch Davis call you...saying they'll get you to the NFL - who would YOU believe?

idochog

Quote from: ocelot_ark on September 11, 2005, 12:38:38 am
EXACTLY. You bring in a NAME coach like Jimmy Johnson or Butch Davis and the recruits will take notice. If you have to pay $3 million a year, it'll even out from season ticket sales, weeklies, concessions, and people who are stunned that little Ole' Arkansas isn't as bad as the media would have us believe. Basically, you're committing a recruiting violation LEGALLY by hiring a huge name coach. You tell me...if you're a recruit and Bob Stoops, Mack Brown, and Jimmy Johsnon/Butch Davis call you...saying they'll get you to the NFL - who would YOU believe?

People would pay $5 more per ticket w/ a coach like that.  I would up my donation even more than it is.
I love Jesus!

Biggus Piggus

The loony thing is that Nutt could have given himself some cushion if he had been willing to employ an offensive coordinator.  He cannot dodge his own incompetence now.  The guy was unaware of his backwardness, and it will be his undoing.  Empty stadium...even Lindsay cannot save Nutt from that.
[CENSORED]!

soso

Quote from: idochog on September 11, 2005, 12:17:44 am
Quote from: Hog Vader on September 11, 2005, 12:14:23 am

You got my hopes up. Is someone gonna have the balls to step and replace HDN and then deviate from our cheap ways and hire a real proven guy like Butch Davis.

JFB got it right when he got Van Horn. Lets do it right w/ football. The fans are aching for a winner.

Lets just say this, I bet you money if we hired Butch Davis, his 1st class will be better than any of the 8 classes HDN has brought in.

I completely agree with this. Hire Davis with enough time to recruit and it will be our best class since Nutt was hired.

Coach V. Slocombe

I have bought season tickets since 1981. If Nutt remains one more season, I will cancel my season tickets, without hesitation. In Nutt's tenure we have been at the best average, and now we have a good shot at being the doormat of the SEC. Butch Davis is the most logical choice, heck even Malhzan would be better than Nutt. Two questions about tonights game puzzle's me...............
1. Felix Jones was the freshman of the week in the SEC last week. Why did he not touch the ball more?
2. Why did we not use our stable of running backs and just pound it down Vandy's throat all night long. They would have been wore down badly by the fourth quarter. Amazing..............................
And just a thought.............Nutt called for the fans, and look at what he delivered! I can not wait to hear Bo Mattingly's spin on this. Somehow it will not be Nutt's fault...............................
I don't put on the uniform to play the game, I put on the uniform to win the game.   Larry Bird
Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.  Vince Lombardi

Biggus Piggus

You hit it, coach.  Our team's biggest asset?  The backfield.  Not just Hillis and Howard, the entire backfield.  Jones and McFadden got a carry apiece.  Another example of Nuttian conservatism.  Didn't want to use the freshmen in the SEC opener.  In so doing, diminishes the team.  Rush isn't the only one with half his brain tied behind his back.
[CENSORED]!

jacob

I have never though Houston wasn't right for the job until tonight.

This could be the best possible time to get someone new.  if Mike is right and John T could get butch here then It should be official Tomorrow.  Frank has to pull the trigger.  Then announce that this is the last year in LR.  Followed by bowling in the stadium.  Getting better recruits and a National Championship in 2010.  That has to be the goal and it should start within the next 48 hours.  Come on Frank you know what needs to be done.

Also someone needs to unplug Mitch Mustains phone.  After a loss to the worst team in the SEC along with big time wins for both Texas and Notre Dame.  Mitch may be having second thoughts.  Time for a change.

Oklahawg

I've always been a Butch Davis skeptic. I just have not seen that as a possibility. My desire for a great program may start interfering with my pragmatism. I plan on buying Tyson chicken for tomorrow's supper.

HDN got his crowd. I felt the response was pretty solid for the most part. That last drive by Vandy won't soon be forgotten--we melted away with every play. Even a drunk student section couldn't keep the energy flowing.

I was praying that D-Mac or Felix would have had a chance on the final kickoff. That was the chance to win.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Biggus Piggus

I thought of Theolesnort and his insistence that McFadden should be on the field somewhere.  Like free safety, where Richardson and Kelly are foundering.
[CENSORED]!

RazrBakr

Quote from: jacob on September 11, 2005, 01:14:59 am
I have never though Houston wasn't right for the job until tonight.

My thoughts too!  Pull the trigger Frank.  Nutt's only embarassing himself and the Helmet!
Just can't help smiling these days!!!

Jerry Swinefeld

Mike,

Not disagreeing with you at all....just have a question.
Who will foot the bill for Nutt's contract?

mikeirwin

Quote from: Jerry Swinefeld on September 11, 2005, 01:51:10 am

Mike,

Not disagreeing with you at all....just have a question.
Who will foot the bill for Nutt's contract?
Nutt does not have a big buyout like Nolan did.
I was told that he is confident that he'll get another job even if he were to be fired. So he wasn't worried about having a big buyout.

RzrbckMAJ

I had been on Nutt's side up until tonight.  I really thought we were going to pull it out when their kicker missed the field goal but after our 3 and out I knew it was over.  This loss has caused me to lose all faith in Nutt.  If you guys really want him gone as much as I do now just don't go to the games.  An empty stadium always equals a one way trip out of town
"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."<br />-- General George S. Patton, Jr