Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rowlett and Bridges suspensions

Started by razor, March 30, 2005, 01:05:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razor

Can anyone cite another example of a college athlete in any sport at any school being suspended for testing positive for a "banned" substance? I'm sure its happened, but for the life of me, I can't think of a single instance of it. Feeling jinxed, out.

Jim Harris

Quote from: razor on March 30, 2005, 01:05:11 pm
Can anyone cite another example of a college athlete in any sport at any school being suspended for testing positive for a "banned" substance? I'm sure its happened, but for the life of me, I can't think of a single instance of it. Feeling jinxed, out.

Oh, for starters, Brian Bosworth from the 1987 Orange Bowl. That really helped us. I guess us losing David Dudley to the same ban was a big factor in the 42-8 loss.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

razor

Yeah, I'd forgotten about Bosworth. I don't recall David Dudley's suspension and I never heard about the Alabama player in 2003. So that makes 3 players suspended in the last 18 years that anybody on the board(166 views so far) can recall. I'm still feeling pretty jinxed as a Hog fan. We finally get a good team in a sport besides track, and lightning strikes us. Oh well.

Biggus Piggus

Did you know that NCAA rifle contestants cannot use alcohol?  I chuckled at that one.

Caffeine is banned if it exceeds a certain level.  A large number of stimulants are banned, including ma huang and meth.  Can't use meth, boys and girls.  Or marijuana (not a stimulant, save for the appetites).

Anything that increases testosterone is banned.  Even a high testosterone level is banned.

I found an NCAA News article from 1998 that said a "significant" number of athletes already had been suspended for one year for taking substances that violated the then-relatively new drug testing policy.

I cannot find any stats on how many athletes are suspended every year, but apparently it's a large number.  Quite a few cases are handled on the school level (these are first or second positives) without public notice.

Oh, according to the 2001 survey of NCAA athletes, 80% drink socially and 27% use marijuana.
[CENSORED]!