Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mort on Jones

Started by Hoggysoprano, March 30, 2005, 10:14:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggysoprano

ReturnToDynasty?

I just posted the same story.  This is the best story on Matt ever. 

Supermark101

The Rams HA unless he plays linebacker he will be no help to u. :P I hope he is still there in the second for the Bucs. We need his speed on offense badly. Gruden also love him, or so I have read.

Illinihog

I would take him on the Rams.  They've signed a few Linebackers in the offseason and this year's crop is a little weak by the time they draft, why not take best athlete in the draft at their spot in the draft.

Amityvillehogger

Prolly cause Mort was the only guy that actually seen him play, the rest just speculate cause he's from Arkansas, and plays at Arkansas, not USC, Okla, or Florida St.  They dont think anyone from Arkansas can do anything in the NFL, especially a white boy.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

sooie dog

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on March 31, 2005, 09:23:45 am
Prolly cause Mort was the only guy that actually seen him play, the rest just speculate cause he's from Arkansas, and plays at Arkansas, not USC, Okla, or Florida St. They dont think anyone from Arkansas can do anything in the NFL, especially a white boy.

That's what I was thinking.  To tell the truth he is pretty unbelievable and you would have to see it to believe it.

ReturnToDynasty?

What were the errors?

I did just hear a reporter on Colin Cowheard say Matt was 6'4".  moron!

Anon2

As I've said all along, think he will go late first or early second.  Just wonder how he will react when two of those defensive backs almost cut him in two when he goes up for a pass.  He was never hit in college like he will be hit in the pros.

Boared

Just read this on profootballtalk.com:

POSTED 1:51 p.m. EST, March 31, 2005

MATT JONES JUST MIGHT BE LEGIT

Since we're usually as willing to revel in our own doo-doo as we are to throw it at others, we're compelled to declare publicly that, based on our initial communications with some of our network of league insiders regarding Matt Jones, it looks like ESPN's Chris Mortensen could be on the money with this one.

We've already heard a range of projections placing him anywhere from a flier in round four to the bottom of round one.

"[Jones] is an exceptional athlete and he had a great combine workout," said one league insider.  "The best comparison would be to like a Drew Bennett, because Drew was an ex-college quarterback.  Jones is faster [and] has better size and athletic ability.  He is a guy that is also extremely tough. 

"He is going to be an excellent special teams player early in his career.  He is one of those guys where you don't know exactly where he fits, because he is not going to be a quarterback at the next level, but you have to find a spot for him because of his size, speed and athleticism.  He is a ultra-completive kid with no fear. 

"You should have seen this guy early in his career," the source continued.  "He was a two-sport player that also played basketball at Arkansas for Nolan Richardson, and you know what kind of athletes the Hogs had when Richardson was there.  This kid could run the floor and could elevate and dunk on guys where you would just be in awe."

Added another league source, "He's a terrible quarterback but a rare athlete.  If he hits as a wideout or [tight end], he'll be freakish.  He's probably the best athlete in the draft considering his size and numbers.  As a player, though, I'm not buying the hype.  He hasn't done it yet as a [receiver] and he throws the ball like Steve Sax."

Yet another source said, bluntly, that Jones is "going to go in the first round," and that he is the "best athlete in the draft."

This is precisely the type of buzz that makes a guy shoot up the draft board.  He'd be a great fit, for example, in Pittsburgh -- especially since the Steelers have done very well with two other converted quarterbacks named Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle El.   

If Randle El was good enough to be draft on the first day, this Jones kid easily could be a first rounder.

And he might be gone before the Steelers get a crack at him.

We're also hearing some quiet (for now) concerns that Jones possibly has been the victim of subtle racial bias, in reverse.  And we're not so sure that such a sentiment is off the mark.  Given his size and speed, we wonder whether there would be the same hesitation about his ability to convert from quarterback to receiver if he weren't white.

Indeed, Randle El wasn't dogged with such concerns.  And West Virginia quarterback Rasheed Marshall, who is smaller, weaker, and slower than Jones, is rated as a better overall prospect (by one spot) than Jones in the USA Today Sportsweekly 2005 Draft Guide.

All things considered, it looks like Mort was right. And we have a funny feeling that, as Jones gets more play in league circles, he could end up being the player the Vikings take at No. 18 to replace the guy who went in the other direction on draft day seven years ago.

Cresthog

Quote from: Boared on March 31, 2005, 01:41:06 pm

"He was a two-sport player that also played basketball at Arkansas for Nolan Richardson, and you know what kind of athletes the Hogs had when Richardson was there.

what is this supposed to mean???

HogInGermany

Quote from: Rusty Shakelford on March 31, 2005, 01:58:48 pm

"He was a two-sport player that also played basketball at Arkansas for Nolan Richardson, and you know what kind of athletes the Hogs had when Richardson was there.

It means since Nolan left our athletes have been crap.

HogInGermany

yeah, I was trying to be positive.

Kevin

nolan's rimrockers won the aba title
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

mikeirwin

March 31, 2005, 03:01:25 pm #13 Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 03:03:12 pm by mikeirwin
Quote from: HogInGermany on March 31, 2005, 02:23:33 pm

Don't reinvent history. Nolan's last batch of athletes wasn't setting the world on fire. The feud with Frank aside, Nolan would still be coaching the Hogs if his recruiting had not dropped off.
As for the talent since he left, they all aren't crap. Ronnie Brewer and Darian Townes can play.

HogInGermany

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 31, 2005, 03:01:25 pm
Quote from: HogInGermany on March 31, 2005, 02:23:33 pm

Don't reinvent history. Nolan's last batch of athletes wasn't setting the world on fire. The feud with Frank aside, Nolan would still be coaching the Hogs if his recruiting had not dropped off.
As for the talent since he left, they all aren't crap. Ronnie Brewer and Darian Townes can play.

Lighten up.

bknight33

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on March 31, 2005, 12:15:46 pm
Quote from: ReturnToDynasty? on March 31, 2005, 11:38:34 am
What were the errors?

I did just hear a reporter on Colin Cowheard say Matt was 6'4". moron!

Cowturd is an idiot, if Jones had gone to USC instead of Arkansas we would be talking about his winning of two Hesimans and three national titles.

Lets see so soprano thinks that Cowherd, Kiper, Alberts, and I are idiots.  Man, I must say I keep good company.