Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"I loved the tempo in the huddle"

Started by HogInMemphis, March 29, 2005, 09:05:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogInMemphis

What the hell does this mean??  That comment is so Houston Nutt. Think about it. I know someone will venture a guess as to what it means, but why say something so vague? But, Houston is all about vague. I'm not surprised.

Tempo in the huddle. Who cares about the tempo in the huddle?

HighOnHogs

If we can't win we can at least play good music.

The_Bionic_Pig

March 29, 2005, 09:10:25 am #2 Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 09:19:39 am by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Quote from: HogInMemphis on March 29, 2005, 09:05:47 am
What the hell does this mean?? That comment is so Houston Nutt. Think about it. I know someone will venture a guess as to what it means, but why say something so vague? But, Houston is all about vague. I'm not surprised.

Tempo in the huddle. Who cares about the tempo in the huddle?

Its the amount of time the QB spends calling the play in the huddle perhaps, this can become very useful in adjusting plays when you are breaking in a new QB.   Especially when both teams are lined up and the Defensive line & Linebackers are hopping around trying to confuse the QB. and the Play clock is ticking away.  If you watched any of Tennessee games last year they broke the huddle extremely fast or simply went no-huddle to allow Ainge time to look at the bench and adjust plays.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

El Dog Hog

hIm, Its crystlar clear you know nothing about football now. With a new QB, you often have players speaking loud and sometimes a younger QB might not take control of the huddle. Thats something very important that Matt even took a little heat for a year or 2 ago. A young QB is going to be nervous or figidity. You want a QB that can get you in and out of the huddle and get the played called quickly, and most importantly right. So yes, its very important.

S.P.A.M. Hog

It is called a sense of urgency....something Matt struggled with at times. Great point Stewie.....UT was always checking at the line.......they helped the young guys they had adjust to what was going on...you can't do that with 5 seconds left on the clock when you break the Huddle! I would love to see a no huddle used....puts pressure on the defense...gives your QB time to get the play, get set, adjust as the defense is trying to change. I think it is a huge advantage to those teams that use it....
Just as the dark ages passed, so will the effects of poor coaching for the last ten years. But more importantly the Razorback Nation will be unified.

The new era has begun...

Phat Hawg

Typical responses in this thread to blame Matt Jones for Houston Nutt's failure as an offensive coordinator to get the plays to the QB in a timely manner.

Biggus Piggus

That "tempo" comment = direct dig at Matt Jones.  Nutt is glad to have QBs he can coach again.
[CENSORED]!

S.P.A.M. Hog

Quote from: Phat Hawg on March 29, 2005, 09:36:29 am
Typical responses in this thread to blame Matt Jones for Houston Nutt's failure as an offensive coordinator to get the plays to the QB in a timely manner.

Phat....who blamed Matt?

If you want to put it all on HDN's shoulders that's fine...we all know that Matt NEVER made a mistake....correct? Truth be told it was BOTH of their faults.....Matt was never in a hurry...even the LSU('02) game he walked to the line. Nutt was late in getting the plays in at times...they were both slow at times.
Just as the dark ages passed, so will the effects of poor coaching for the last ten years. But more importantly the Razorback Nation will be unified.

The new era has begun...

Hoggimistic

Some people need to realize that Matt is gone.  From now on when Nutt is talking about the team, I'm pretty sure it will not be concerning MJ, as much as some of you would like to believe. 

Nutt has always talked about the way a QB manages the game and the "tempo" of getting the play in, changing it if need be, etc..... It is nothing new and definitely not a dig at anyone, especially people not even on the team anymore. 

I guess when he is talking about running backs in the future he will be "digging" on Cedric, or Talley, or Madre, you get my point.  They are not on the team any more, they are part of the past, (a good one in my opinion), but most people are moving on, like they need to.

Biggus Piggus

You go ahead and believe that if it makes you feel better.
[CENSORED]!

arthurhawgerelli

Uh, even before Matt, we lead the league in wasted timeouts and delay of games.  HDN should take the heat on "huddle intensity" if your definition is getting the play called in a timely fashion.  Getting the play to the QB with only 12-15 seconds left on the play clock, and still not having the right personnel for the called play is not the qb's fault.  Matt was not laid back in getting the play called.  I challenge any of you to show video proof of that.  I can show you plenty of proof that the coach did not signal the play in soon enough.  The most telling evidence that he needs an offensive coordinator is that he cannot plan ahead two or three plays because he also has to deal with the here and now as the head coach.

Hoggimistic

March 29, 2005, 01:21:25 pm #11 Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 01:23:17 pm by Hoggimistic
I will Spamalot.

And you go ahead and continue life with your head up your a$$ if it makes you feel better.

;)

Jim Harris

Quote from: Hoggimistic on March 29, 2005, 11:53:25 am
Some people need to realize that Matt is gone.  From now on when Nutt is talking about the team, I'm pretty sure it will not be concerning MJ, as much as some of you would like to believe. 

Nutt has always talked about the way a QB manages the game and the "tempo" of getting the play in, changing it if need be, etc..... It is nothing new and definitely not a dig at anyone, especially people not even on the team anymore. 

I guess when he is talking about running backs in the future he will be "digging" on Cedric, or Talley, or Madre, you get my point. They are not on the team any more, they are part of the past, (a good one in my opinion), but most people are moving on, like they need to.

I think it was a dig at Matt's father, Steve Jones. ;D
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on March 29, 2005, 01:19:52 pm
Uh, even before Matt, we lead the league in wasted timeouts and delay of games.

I will remind you and everyone else that Nutt is light years faster than Danny Ford's staff was in getting plays in and not wasting time outs, though, yes, he has wasted them and yes, we've had situations for at least five years where the play seemed to come in with 12 seconds left on the play clock. I will bet also that we haven't wasted near the time-outs we did under Hatfield's staff.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: drakehog on March 29, 2005, 01:45:49 pm

I will remind you and everyone else that Nutt is light years faster than Danny Ford's staff was in getting plays in and not wasting time outs, though, yes, he has wasted them and yes, we've had situations for at least five years where the play seemed to come in with 12 seconds left on the play clock. I will bet also that we haven't wasted near the time-outs we did under Hatfield's staff.

I won't argue with those facts.  My point is that both Hatfield and Nutt need (ed) an OC, so they could tend to head coaching business.  Ford just needed a brain.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: drakehog on March 29, 2005, 01:45:49 pm

I'm glad you said that about Hatfield. I wrote Kenny a letter, the only letter I've ever written to an Arkansas coach, after the '90 Cotton Bowl regarding the wasting of timeouts. I never got a reply as Kenny quit about 3 weeks or so after I mailed my letter. His teams wasted more timeouts than any team I have ever watched under any coach in any sport. It was really bad with Kenny.

Kevin

who freaking cares?  say something worth while or nothing at all
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Mr A Ziffell

Quote from: HogInMemphis on March 29, 2005, 09:05:47 am
What the hell does this mean??

Well HiM & U guys that obviously know nothing about football.... It means we have more COWBELL!!!! U bunch of dummies..

Swino

I've got a feva,  And click here for the presciption

This demonstrates how to "keep tempo".  I've heard that HDN had his qb's watch this for just that reason. ;D