Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The quarterback competition

Started by JIHawg, March 28, 2005, 09:44:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

A lot will be written about this during the spring practices, over the summer, and the fall drills as well.  The coaches may even declare a winner.  And many will watch the spring scrimmage red white game and surmise on the boards that Joe Bob is definitely the clear favorite.  This has all been done in the past.

But, truth be known, for whatever reason, we probably won't know which of the three is best until after the first two games.  The real test-who can best move the team down the field and not make critical errors at critical times in the game-there's no way of knowing who that man is of the three. 

Remember the UNLV game in Little Rock-we tried three quarterbacks in the first half.

Not saying it's a good or bad thing, but this is just how it always has been with this coaching staff.

Fletch

I think you will definitely see Johnson first because he is the only one with any experience at all. Johnson seems to have all the physical tools. From what I hear about Mortensen is he is very intelligent and is a true student of the game but has an average arm. I don't think that is bad because there have been many great college QBs with average arms. Steve Walsh and about anyone that played for Florida come to mind. Cole Barthel I think is still a mystery for this year even though he is older and more mature because he has been out so long. It may take him a while to get back in the football mode. I think there is good potential I just hope one of them pans out or it will be another long year.
I feel like $100

El Dog Hog

I agree. I think Cole redshirts this year. I would be shocked and even scared if he had to play. Robert looked very good last year when we gave him a chance. Against LSU and UGA they blitzed us everytime. I dont think teams will be able to do that as much. He has a better arm than matt. Its just that experience we lack. I think going to USC is going to make him grow up real quick.

Speakig of USC, one of their DB's is in jai and be accused of fighting at a bar or something.

rathog1

Quote from: JIHawg on March 28, 2005, 09:44:55 pm

Remember the UNLV game in Little Rock-we tried three quarterbacks in the first half.

I thought it was four?
Hogking 7-09-05
11:42:25 PM
this will be a 1998 type season maybe better

Illinihog

Barthel looked like a guy who hadn't played Football in 4 Years yesterday.  I really don't think he will see the field next year.  There just isn't enough time from now until August for him to learn the scheme and what not.  Johnson and Mortenson are the future of the program, Barthel is just here to be some back-up just in case.  Mortenson is the real deal, he just isn't just a name.

The Max Swineberg 7

Quote from: rathog1 on March 28, 2005, 11:47:16 pm
Quote from: JIHawg on March 28, 2005, 09:44:55 pm

I thought it was four?

It was 4.  And none of which was Matt Jones.
Arkansas has too many Stepford fans.

S.P.A.M. Hog

IMHO....Cole is a non-factor unless something goes VERY wrong....He has been out of the game for awhile and he does not have the time on the playbook that either Robert or Alex has at this time. I think most folks expect to see Robert get the first real shot and then go to Alex if Robert can't handle the job.

I think that the offensive package will be the more interesting development than the QB race. I think the offense will be more like what we ran with Clint not Matt. I am very interested in the spring game to get a look at what the future holds.....I think I am excited....even if it is just from a curiosity stand point.
Just as the dark ages passed, so will the effects of poor coaching for the last ten years. But more importantly the Razorback Nation will be unified.

The new era has begun...

JIHawg

Quote from: Illinihog on March 29, 2005, 05:52:11 am
Barthel looked like a guy who hadn't played Football in 4 Years yesterday. I really don't think he will see the field next year. There just isn't enough time from now until August for him to learn the scheme and what not. Johnson and Mortenson are the future of the program, Barthel is just here to be some back-up just in case. Mortenson is the real deal, he just isn't just a name.

Illi-talk about Mortensen's arm strength.  Can he throw the deep ball with some accuracy?

Illinihog

Yesterday he and Johnson threw the deep ball well....the only problem is the WR's didnt' help them out.  In just the one practice since the fall his arm strength looked much better.  He did through a nice 35-40 pass to Monk for a TD while getting hit with pressure in his face and hit Monk in stride something we hadn't seen.  I really think Johnson will get the first shot as he should.  Johnson is a fine QB, I don't understand why people are so down on him?  I'd like to see those people step into a situation vs. UGA needing to drive your team down the field, your Best Offensive Linemen is hurt, one of your Top Backs isn't in the line-up and you know they are blitzing everytime.  Your first snap the Center nearly snaps it over your head.  Ask Hog50 I think he might have some High Praise for Mr. Johnson the improvement each year with this kid is unreal, I remember early fall last season his first on Campus he was Raw.  You could see the talent you just didn't know if he was going to harness it.  This spring will be a healthy competition. IMO, Barthel won't ever step foot in a game unless it is like Rhett Lashlee and Loggains the last couple of years late in the 4th QT final home game scenario.

RoJo and AM both have arm strength it's just harnessing it and controlling it.  Honestly I think this season will be better than some people expect.  You return depth on the Defense yes they got burned last year but lots of them were Freshmen and for those who watched every game and were at practice a few guys you could see improvement in.  Grant, Matreal Richardson, Chris Houston and Micheal Cole...now if we can just get some good play from the Safeties then the secondary will be fine.  Sorry for the long post.

Fletch

I still maintain part of the problem with our DBs getting burned so often was not only inexperience but also no rush from the d-line. QBs had lots of time to find open receivers and receivers had lots of time to get open.
I feel like $100

HogInMemphis

I've heard Cole is a great athlete....like Barry Lunney. He's no Robbie Hampton apparently. With his maturity, I don't know how you can count him out this early.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: HogInMemphis on March 29, 2005, 09:02:50 am
I've heard Cole is a great athlete....like Barry Lunney. He's no Robbie Hampton apparently. With his maturity, I don't know how you can count him out this early.
He looked horrible in practice, but it was only one practice of many to come. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on March 29, 2005, 09:12:25 am

yes, only one practice...and the first practice. You can't make a very accurate judgment on the first practice. His "tempo" will pick up I bet.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: HogInMemphis on March 29, 2005, 10:03:21 am
Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on March 29, 2005, 09:12:25 am

yes, only one practice...and the first practice. You can't make a very accurate judgment on the first practice. His "tempo" will pick up I bet.

Your are very correct sir he needs time to get back into his rhythm.  If he would have not bolted for a chance at the Majors he would have been the one competing against MJ instead of Sorahan.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

mikeirwin

March 29, 2005, 10:45:43 am #14 Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 10:49:52 am by mikeirwin
Quote from: Illinihog on March 29, 2005, 08:39:27 am
Yesterday he and Johnson threw the deep ball well....the only problem is the WR's didnt' help them out. In just the one practice since the fall his arm strength looked much better. He did through a nice 35-40 pass to Monk for a TD while getting hit with pressure in his face and hit Monk in stride something we hadn't seen. I really think Johnson will get the first shot as he should. Johnson is a fine QB, I don't understand why people are so down on him? I'd like to see those people step into a situation vs. UGA needing to drive your team down the field, your Best Offensive Linemen is hurt, one of your Top Backs isn't in the line-up and you know they are blitzing everytime. Your first snap the Center nearly snaps it over your head. Ask Hog50 I think he might have some High Praise for Mr. Johnson the improvement each year with this kid is unreal, I remember early fall last season his first on Campus he was Raw. You could see the talent you just didn't know if he was going to harness it. This spring will be a healthy competition. IMO, Barthel won't ever step foot in a game unless it is like Rhett Lashlee and Loggains the last couple of years late in the 4th QT final home game scenario.

RoJo and AM both have arm strength it's just harnessing it and controlling it. Honestly I think this season will be better than some people expect. You return depth on the Defense yes they got burned last year but lots of them were Freshmen and for those who watched every game and were at practice a few guys you could see improvement in. Grant, Matreal Richardson, Chris Houston and Micheal Cole...now if we can just get some good play from the Safeties then the secondary will be fine. Sorry for the long post.
Did you see all of that in 15 minutes or do you have one of those special passes from Louis Campbell ? You seem to have watched a great deal of the workout.
The information you just gave is the kind of stuff that normally gets reported in an open practice. Fletch doesn't think such information is any big deal but I enjoyed reading it. Your post is a lot more informative than anything I read in the papers this morning.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Illinihog on March 29, 2005, 08:39:27 am
Yesterday he and Johnson threw the deep ball well....the only problem is the WR's didnt' help them out.  In just the one practice since the fall his arm strength looked much better.  He did through a nice 35-40 pass to Monk for a TD while getting hit with pressure in his face and hit Monk in stride something we hadn't seen.  I really think Johnson will get the first shot as he should.  Johnson is a fine QB, I don't understand why people are so down on him?  I'd like to see those people step into a situation vs. UGA needing to drive your team down the field, your Best Offensive Linemen is hurt, one of your Top Backs isn't in the line-up and you know they are blitzing everytime.  Your first snap the Center nearly snaps it over your head.  Ask Hog50 I think he might have some High Praise for Mr. Johnson the improvement each year with this kid is unreal, I remember early fall last season his first on Campus he was Raw.  You could see the talent you just didn't know if he was going to harness it.  This spring will be a healthy competition. IMO, Barthel won't ever step foot in a game unless it is like Rhett Lashlee and Loggains the last couple of years late in the 4th QT final home game scenario.

RoJo and AM both have arm strength it's just harnessing it and controlling it.  Honestly I think this season will be better than some people expect.  You return depth on the Defense yes they got burned last year but lots of them were Freshmen and for those who watched every game and were at practice a few guys you could see improvement in.  Grant, Matreal Richardson, Chris Houston and Micheal Cole...now if we can just get some good play from the Safeties then the secondary will be fine.  Sorry for the long post.

Why are you called "Illinihog"?  I take it you live in or near Fayetteville. Or were you just in town visiting and watched practice?

Regarding your post, first of all, the secondary will only be as good as the D line allows them to be. And secondly, Orlando Green and other D backs from recent years never improved. So we'll hope that this bunch does improve with age, but I'm not holding my breath.

El Dog Hog

I like Randy Kelly at SS, now we just need to find a FS. Randy will hit somebody, and thats something we need.

Also, if a 23 year old QB doesnt play good, then he'll redshirt. Hopefully it'll be between RJ and Alex and we can let Cole come in and get his feet back under him, and learn the system. Redshirting is not a bad thing, if he's not ready, and he doesnt know the system, then sit him.

Illinihog

Mike,

Did you see Randy Kelly at practice yesterday, because I didn't know, and don't know why he wasn't unless he had a late class.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: El Dog Hog on March 29, 2005, 11:27:35 am
I like Randy Kelly at SS, now we just need to find a FS. Randy will hit somebody, and thats something we need.

But Kelly is at free safety.
[CENSORED]!

JIHawg

Guys-Illin. Hog is the real deal.  He has access most would only dream about.  Pay attention to his posts.

mikeirwin

March 30, 2005, 10:55:09 pm #20 Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 11:24:55 pm by mikeirwin
Quote from: JIHawg on March 30, 2005, 10:30:20 pm
Guys-Illin. Hog is the real deal. He has access most would only dream about. Pay attention to his posts.
You don't have to convince me. I'm waiting for his next practice report so I can talk about it on Press Row. If I knew who he was I'd see if we could get him a little money. Maybe we could put him in the shadows and electronically alter his voice for TV. The secret spy report from practice. I love it.

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: El Dog Hog on March 29, 2005, 11:27:35 am

Also, if a 23 year old QB doesnt play good, then he'll redshirt. Hopefully it'll be between RJ and Alex and we can let Cole come in and get his feet back under him, and learn the system. Redshirting is not a bad thing, if he's not ready, and he doesnt know the system, then sit him.

Vaughn gets the first crack at SS. Finished up last season there

Pragmatic PiG

thought kelly had difficulties getting back to the hill along with roper and grant. maybe it wasn't that recent

Illinihog

Yes that was in the paper they had troubles getting back to the top of the Hill.  We couldn't figure out why those guys weren't there.  Today's practice should be good.  First Day of Full Pads.  Should be interesting to see how the QB's react with some pressure and what not.  I believe Saturday there might be some kind of scrimmage at the end of practice I'm not sure though. 

Nutt's comment in the paper about Monk being awesome, well Awesome doesn't fit the bill.  He will reach Matt status this upcoming season in the way that the stuff he does just makes you shake your head and go how in the hell did he pull that off.  I realize it is just practice, but he treats practice like it is a game.  The Kid is unbelieveably. 

Theolesnort

What makes him so special is not just eye popping talent but he has some serious gray matter inside his skull.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.