Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spring Practice Update

Started by bomattingly, March 28, 2005, 05:26:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bomattingly

It didn't take long to see that intensity is at ANOTHER LEVEL.  Not just on defense either.  Media stayed about 20 minutes, but saw about 45 minutes of practice.  Most of the team was on the field 20-30 minutes early and Herring was freaking out on them before they even started stretching.   They've put black tarp on the iron fence that surrounds the otherwise viewable practice field.  I interviewed Nutt at length that and more today.  We'll be airing it on KNWA.

Jim Harris

Quote from: bomattingly on March 28, 2005, 05:26:27 pm
It didn't take long to see that intensity is at ANOTHER LEVEL. Not just on defense either. Media stayed about 20 minutes, but saw about 45 minutes of practice. Most of the team was on the field 20-30 minutes early and Herring was freaking out on them before they even started stretching. They've put black tarp on the iron fence that surrounds the otherwise viewable practice field. I interviewed Nutt at length that and more today. We'll be airing it on KNWA.

Bo, has the media up there made note of the fact that our practice field appears to slope downhill toward the new weight room? Probably makes for some better-than-expected 40 times.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

bomattingly

Fletch

Please tell Mike to stop whining about practices being closed. ;D
I feel like $100

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: drakehog on March 28, 2005, 05:28:14 pm
It didn't take long to see that intensity is at ANOTHER LEVEL. Not just on defense either. Media stayed about 20 minutes, but saw about 45 minutes of practice. Most of the team was on the field 20-30 minutes early and Herring was freaking out on them before they even started stretching. They've put black tarp on the iron fence that surrounds the otherwise viewable practice field. I interviewed Nutt at length that and more today. We'll be airing it on KNWA.

Bo, has the media up there made note of the fact that our practice field appears to slope downhill toward the new weight room? Probably makes for some better-than-expected 40 times.
Quote from: drakehog on March 28, 2005, 05:28:14 pm

optical illusion.

mr4pt

QuoteProbably makes for some better-than-expected 40 times.

Unless they are running UP hill...

mikeirwin

Quote from: DrMongoose on March 28, 2005, 06:45:56 pm
noticed several people peering over fences and watching from the parking lot on the other side of Razorback Road. Bo, what's the real reason they closed practice?
Fletch, I'm not whining I'm laughing. They send out a email telling the media that practice will close after 15 minutes only it's really 45 minutes. That's almost half the workout.
Fans can't watch except they do, by (as Dr. Mongoose says) "peering over fences and watching from the parking lot." What a joke. You want to know why they lose games ? Nothing they do or say means anything.
I like open practices but I can respect coaches like Stoops and Saban. When they say it's closed IT'S CLOSED. When Nutt says it's closed who knows what that means ? What a cluster.

mikeirwin

Media stayed about 20 minutes, but saw about 45 minutes of practice.
Bo could you explain this ? It makes no sense. How could the media stay 20 minutes but see 45 minutes of practice ? Were you up in a tree across the street ? Did you hide under the cooling tower ? Did you disguise yourself as one of the team managers ?
Herring:  "HEY WATER BOY, BRING ME A DRINK."
"WHO THE $*%#** ARE YOU ?"
"MATTINGLY, YOUR %#*%# IS MINE. 100 LOMBARDI'S. NOW!!!"

HogDodging

Ah, the annual rite of spring practice.  A time for the homers in the local media to get all Hog fans overly excited about the team's prospects almost six months months before the first game.  We get to hear about all the hitting and how the team is responding to the coaches.
Regardless of how I feel about Nutt's coaching ability, or lack thereof, I still get pumped about the Hogs.
Then, when the reality of the season hits, we get to hear all kinds of excuses as to why the team fared so poorly.

Lando Calrissian

Herring needs some sort of cool catch-phrase similar to The Hulk's "HULK SMASH!!!" or The Thing's "It's clobberin' time!"
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

WilsonHog

March 28, 2005, 09:59:57 pm #10 Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 10:05:19 pm by WilsonHog
Quote from: Lando Calrissian on March 28, 2005, 09:56:43 pm
Herring needs some sort of cool catch-phrase similar to The Hulk's "HULK SMASH!!!" or The Thing's "It's clobberin' time!"

He has one, I think.  Little long, though. It goes something like, "Houston, get away from my GD defense!"

Phat Hawg

What I want to know Bo is if they were really bouncing around out there. 

I know you're saving all the good stuff for your newscast but can you help a brother out here?  Were they bouncing or not?

bomattingly

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 28, 2005, 09:47:12 pm
Bo could you explain this ? It makes no sense. How could the media stay 20 minutes but see 45 minutes of practice ? Were you up in a tree across the street ? Did you hide under the cooling tower ? Did you disguise yourself as one of the team managers ?
Mike it was only open for about 20 minutes.  The 45 comes from this:  most of the team showed up about 20 minutes early.  practice was scheduled to start at 3:30.  but they were doing a bunch of individual stuff before they even started stetching at 3:30.  Herring was going nutts by 3:15.  They've made their biggest effort yet at closing practice.   They put the black tarps around the iron fence so you can't see very well.   Of course if you decide to hide and watch you can see.  It does in my opinion serve as a deterent (sp) to most.  gotta go

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on March 28, 2005, 09:45:46 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on March 28, 2005, 09:32:11 pm
noticed several people peering over fences and watching from the parking lot on the other side of Razorback Road. Bo, what's the real reason they closed practice?
When they say it's closed IT'S CLOSED. When Nutt says it's closed who knows what that means ? What a cluster.

That's about like his "no tolerance" policies.  How much longer must we endure this, it must be a test from the Hog Gods.

Until Broyles dies.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: bomattingly on March 28, 2005, 10:09:22 pm
Mike it was only open for about 20 minutes.  The 45 comes from this:  most of the team showed up about 20 minutes early.  practice was scheduled to start at 3:30.  but they were doing a bunch of individual stuff before they even started stetching at 3:30.  Herring was going nutts by 3:15.  They've made their biggest effort yet at closing practice.   They put the black tarps around the iron fence so you can't see very well.   Of course if you decide to hide and watch you can see.  It does in my opinion serve as a deterent (sp) to most.  gotta go

No need to say, "gotta go". We're all busy. Just stop writing.

JIHawg

Man, this is a great thread.  On Herring, I hold out as much hope for him as everybody else, but, hey, the guy hollars a lot during drills and some guys have us in the national championship game.

Haven't we had coaches who hollered in the past, or is he the first? 

Hollering might be overrated.  We'll see.

Fletch

Fletch, I'm not whining I'm laughing. They send out a email telling the media that practice will close after 15 minutes only it's really 45 minutes. That's almost half the workout.
Fans can't watch except they do, by (as Dr. Mongoose says) "peering over fences and watching from the parking lot." What a joke. You want to know why they lose games ? Nothing they do or say means anything.
I like open practices but I can respect coaches like Stoops and Saban. When they say it's closed IT'S CLOSED. When Nutt says it's closed who knows what that means ? What a cluster.
I can't for the life of me figure out why it is such a big deal to anyone whether or not spring practices are open or closed. I think it is absolutely irrelevent. Nutts the coach and it is his decision, period. The people that seem to be the most bothered by this are some of the media, everyone who thinks Nutt should be fired no matter what he chooses to do, and the conspiracy theorists who think the coaching staff is afraid of something or trying to hide something.

How convenient you can respect Stoops and Saban for closing practices (I am assuming you have been to their closed practices since you seem to know that they are "truly closed") Gee, lets hand out kudos and pay hommage to the coaches that have won national championships and choose to close practice but lash out Irrationally (what a cluster?) and judge our coach differently because he chooses to do the same. I think coach Nutt deserves the benefit of the doubt at the very least.

Lastly, I doubt the coverage of spring practice will be any different at all. I'll bet if you go back the last couple of years and pull the news footage and articles of spring practice when it was open and compare it to the coverage this year you will find very little if any difference. People probably wouldn't even notice if they didn't know that practice was closed. Players and coaches will still be interviewed, and opinions will still be formed.

My greatest memories of spring practice coverage are the reports on how great Sam Breeden looked and how Gary Brashears was going to be the best QB we have ever had. Like I said earlier, spring practice reports are irrelevent. That's my rant.

I feel like $100

Kodiak

LOL  Will this be discussed on tomorrows show?
Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!

Hogger

Quote from: Fletch on March 28, 2005, 10:45:18 pm

I can't for the life of me figure out why it is such a big deal to anyone whether or not spring practices are open or closed. I think it is absolutely irrelevent. Nutts the coach and it is his decision, period. The people that seem to be the most bothered by this are some of the media, everyone who thinks Nutt should be fired no matter what he chooses to do, and the conspiracy theorists who think the coaching staff is afraid of something or trying to hide something.

How convenient you can respect Stoops and Saban for closing practices (I am assuming you have been to their closed practices since you seem to know that they are "truly closed") Gee, lets hand out kudos and pay hommage to the coaches that have won national championships and choose to close practice but lash out Irrationally (what a cluster?) and judge our coach differently because he chooses to do the same. I think coach Nutt deserves the benefit of the doubt at the very least.

Lastly, I doubt the coverage of spring practice will be any different at all. I'll bet if you go back the last couple of years and pull the news footage and articles of spring practice when it was open and compare it to the coverage this year you will find very little if any difference. People probably wouldn't even notice if they didn't know that practice was closed. Players and coaches will still be interviewed, and opinions will still be formed.

My greatest memories of spring practice coverage are the reports on how great Sam Breeden looked and how Gary Brashears was going to be the best QB we have ever had. Like I said earlier, spring practice reports are irrelevent. That's my rant.

Here's some irrelevance for ya.

http://ap.thecabin.net/pstories/state/ar/20050328/2916322.shtml

El Dog Hog

First day of spring, breaking in a new QB, a great D Cor, and already people are giving up. Already people are criticing nutt. Damn people, its the first day. Its like some people live just to ride nutt and find something bad to say about him. You cant have a real thread b/c there are always people giing there lame ass nutt comment. It seems like every post starts out good, and very well informed, but then we either go to a "nutt needs to go" or Stan Heath needs to go. This is 24 post long, and im kinda suprised we havent seen a "Stan Heath firing" post". Could we maybe try not to be doom and gloom all year around? Last time I checked everyone is 0-0.

rathog1

Quote from: Fletch on March 28, 2005, 10:45:18 pm

All this time I thought Oklahoma and LSU won titles because they coached better and recruited better. Now I find out that all you have to do is close practice.

And holler!
Hogking 7-09-05
11:42:25 PM
this will be a 1998 type season maybe better

El Dog Hog

Thats understandable, but come on now. Its spring practice. SPRING. I dont see how some people can even keep up with it, if they are so fed up with everything. Thats got to be a tough way to go about life everyday.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: ImHogginItfolks who don't like Nutt will harp on this just like they harp on anything he does. He's darned if he does and darned if he don't with these people.

Those are EXACTLY the words I've always been searching for to describe it.

You have to remember though, A LOT of people online operate completely outside of reality.  Combine that with the fact that "fans" of any team often times are so fixated with that specific team (and mostly the negative aspects thereof) that they tend operate outside of reality as well. Combine that and you get some extremely disturbing,  unrelenting, and uncompromising points of view.

darned if you do, darned if you don't. 

I guess, in the end, it comes with the territory.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

RoBoHawg04

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winnah                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
Quote from: Lando Calrissian on March 29, 2005, 01:28:43 am
Quote from: ImHogginItfolks who don't like Nutt will harp on this just like they harp on anything he does. He's darned if he does and darned if he don't with these people.

You have to remember though, A LOT of people online operate completely outside of reality. Combine that with the fact that "fans" of any team often times are so fixated with that specific team (and mostly the negative aspects thereof) that they tend operate outside of reality as well. Combine that and you get some extremely disturbing, unrelenting, and uncompromising points of view.

" Be sure that your right, then go ahead " DC

Illinihog

Mike,

You've been there long enough to know that if you get there early you can see them working out early before stretching and practice officially begins.  Anyone can watch the Indo Workouts before Practice begins.  And they did tell a few people they weren't going to be able to watch.  But honestly as a fan some of you don't really understand how boring practice can be to watch.  I mean to for instance they weren't in pads so there was no hitting and in the spring they do a lot of individual position drills.  It isn't exactly the most exciting thing to watch.  Saturday's practice will be open to everyone, there is also a scrimmage that day too.  And for those fans in the parking lot across the street, why don't you just respect the coaches' decision and not even bother to come?  Does it make you feel like you have inside information?  This entire situation is rather funny to see some of the people bitching about it.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: londonhogfan on March 29, 2005, 12:12:38 am
I realize you have been covering the Razorbacks for many years and that you don't like Houston Nutt, but why don't you just report the news?

No offense or anything, but please STFU.  If Irwin weren't here you'd be dying to have some real insider media types on this board.  Whiner.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on March 29, 2005, 01:28:43 am

You have to remember though, A LOT of people online operate completely outside of reality. Combine that with the fact that "fans" of any team often times are so fixated with that specific team (and mostly the negative aspects thereof) that they tend operate outside of reality as well. Combine that and you get some extremely disturbing, unrelenting, and uncompromising points of view.

No, it can be done differently.  You don't have to be like Skip (God love him) and find 30 different ways a day to spin something anti-Nutt.  I don't like Nutt one tiny bit, but I do try to avoid going overboard too.
[CENSORED]!

mikeirwin

Quote from: londonhogfan on March 29, 2005, 12:12:38 am

I realize you have been covering the Razorbacks for many years and that you don't like Houston Nutt, but why don't you just report the news? This isn't 1960. Frank Broyles didn't have hundreds of Message Board junkies and Sports radio call-in shows putting down every move he made. I think I would put up a tarp too. Maybe the team will be more comfortable if they know some old sports reporter isn't trying to find something wrong with every move that is made. Grow up. Get over it.

and what do you really know about how Stoops or Saban runs a practice. Please let us know.
First of all I do report the news. None of what I wrote here appeared on channel 5.
When I post here I'm just like the rest of you guys. I give my opinion as a Hogs fan.
Whenever possible like most of you who are in a certain business I talk to people who do my job at other places.
I have talked with reporters at both LSU and OU about how they deal with closed practices. Basically they are fine with it because there is a consistency to the policy. Closed means closed.
The policies with Arkansas football seem to shift with the sand.
You can't talk to Matt this week. Matt will only talk on Monday. Matt will only talk on Tuesday. Practice is closed this week. Next week practice is open. Practice is closed but you can watch from outside the fence. Practice is closed and you have to go back to the Broyles Center. Practice is closed and you have to go back to the Broyles Center but today you can sit in the stadium bleachers.
Sorry you missed coach Nutt. I thought you were in the bleachers. I didn't know you were in the Broyles Center. That was last week's rule.
That's the cluster I was referring to.

Buck Ocean

QuoteBo, what's the real reason they closed practice?

As mentioned in a previous thread, there is mass speculation that the coaching staff continues to want to keep the
anonymity of the secret recruit featured at  scatback.
Think like a Jedi

Hoggimistic

I don't really buy the "cursing theory". 

I think it is very simple.  Putting up all the tarp and closing practice sends a message to the players.  The message:  "This is serious,"  Kind of like when we practiced for Texas, he wanted all the players to focus on nothing but the field. 

I used to go to practices I noticed some of the players having a good time looking at cars go by and not paying attention, if they were not directly involved at the moment. 

Some of the players would yell out " Mustang is yellow!!" or "Mustang is red!!" describing the color of the cars when they drove by.  It is just one small instance, but it shows that whats on the other side of the fence does affect some players. 

It's kind of like a classroom for a bunch of kids.  If all the windows are open and you're in class and you see a bunch of other kids outside playing and having a good time, you are going to be distracted and not pay attention to the ole Teacher.

Once again, all he's doing is sending a message.  "Kids pay attention".  Very simple stuff, but I guess it gives certain people something to speculate and gripe about.

Flatfoot

IMHO I just don't see why the big fuss for closing practice.  It is not like there are going to be thousands, hundreds, or even tens of fans clamoring to watch practice.  We just need to relax and let the boys practice and hopefully improve.  I love the Hogs just as much as anyone, but getting your panties in a wad about closing practice is a little overkill.

We had a total of approx 4,000 fans for the Red White Game last year.  That is pathetic.  If you want to bitch about spring practice then I hope everyone will put there money where their mouth is and show up for the Scrimmages.  I know if I was playing and 20 to 25 thousand showed up for a spring game, I would want to do as much as I possibly could to make the team a winner.  Support breeds success. :) :) :) :) :) :)
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: flatfoot304 on March 29, 2005, 12:09:08 pm
Support breeds success. :) :) :) :) :) :)

Success breeds success, not support, didnt you watch the basketball games?  There was alot of people there supporting them.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Flatfoot

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on March 29, 2005, 12:12:19 pm
Quote from: flatfoot304 on March 29, 2005, 12:09:08 pm
Support breeds success. :) :) :) :) :) :)

Success breeds success, not support, didnt you watch the basketball games?  There was alot of people there supporting them.

Amityville, I agree but what does closing spring practice by Nutt get some people pissed off.  I will support the scrimmages by attending them, cheering, and yelling.  I just want many more to get out and support the HOGS! 

I am excited that Herring is here, and when I heard his speech at the LR Touchdown Club, I was ready for the season to start.  He has got me pumped up for the season.  Just by hearing all of the media, is that he has breathed a fresh new breath into the program.  I wish I could play right now, I am just that excited!

Yeah
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

HogDodging

This is from an acquaintance close to the program about yesterday's practice:

Nutt sounded pretty excited about the huddle tempo.   He (Nutt) said, "I just love how these guys tie their shoes... they do this
little 'double knot' thing that is really exciting. That is just the caliber of players we have on this team... one knot would suffice but they go for the double and that tells me they came to play". ;D

mikeirwin

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 29, 2005, 12:14:58 pm
Hoggimistic, I don't know if I buy that cursing theory either. Of course, I don't know if I buy the idea that closing practices helps the players focus.

Perhaps they're worried somebody rear-ended in a car accident by a rubbernecking driver will sue The Program.
I think Herring is a part of it. Sending a mesaage to the players is also part of it.
Whatever the reason just develop a policy and stick to it.
I'd say the same thing about the player DWI's. Why does one kid get kicked off the team, another loses a scholarship and another doesn't miss a single game ? How about a simple, "You go out in public and embarrass this team with your actions and you are gone" policy.
Successful people have a way of simplifying the problems they face.

mossfan3

The inconsistency in punishments does not just happen with Nutt's players.  Remember a few years ago when Bobby Bowden made Sebastian Janikowski run bleachers for a DWI or a bar fight, I can't remember which. It is a big time business and most of the stud players get some slack. 

HogInMemphis

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 29, 2005, 11:46:05 am
Quote from: DrMongoose on March 28, 2005, 06:45:56 pmwhat's the real reason they closed practice?

The most popular theory right now is the "Nutt didn't want fans to hear Herring's cursing" theory.

I've heard that Herring is coaching while wearing a G-string with no shorts on for tanning purposes and that's why practice is closed.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 29, 2005, 01:24:14 pm
Hoggimistic, I don't know if I buy that cursing theory either. Of course, I don't know if I buy the idea that closing practices helps the players focus.

Perhaps they're worried somebody rear-ended in a car accident by a rubbernecking driver will sue The Program.
I think Herring is a part of it. Sending a mesaage to the players is also part of it.
I'd say the same thing about the player DWI's. Why does one kid get kicked off the team, another loses a scholarship and another doesn't miss a single game ? How about a simple, "You go out in public and embarrass this team with your actions and you are gone" policy.

The "Do Right" rule.

Hoggimistic

March 29, 2005, 02:07:54 pm #39 Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 02:13:00 pm by Hoggimistic
I probably shouldn't be telling any of you this, but the real reason practice is closed is because Matt Jones is coming back for his 5th year.  I heard from an inside source he is going to get an NCAA waiver that would allow him to play an extra year.  If it doesn't go through he is just going to work on the scout team to help.

Try to keep it quiet for as long as you can since we don't want the competition to find out.    ;)

Hawgzilla

I here they closed pratices because of Hogville.net,the players look over at the fence to check out their favorite posters,hoping to get a glance or even a autograph........... ;D

Hogger

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 29, 2005, 01:24:14 pm

Exactly.

Phat Hawg

Quote from: ImHogginIt on March 29, 2005, 01:02:58 am
Quote from: El Dog Hog on March 28, 2005, 11:37:57 pm
First day of spring, breaking in a new QB, a great D Cor, and already people are giving up. Already people are criticing nutt. Damn people, its the first day. Its like some people live just to ride nutt and find something bad to say about him. You cant have a real thread b/c there are always people giing there lame ass nutt comment. It seems like every post starts out good, and very well informed, but then we either go to a "nutt needs to go" or Stan Heath needs to go. This is 24 post long, and im kinda suprised we havent seen a "Stan Heath firing" post". Could we maybe try not to be doom and gloom all year around? Last time I checked everyone is 0-0.

Like Biggus said, folks who don't like Nutt will harp on this just like they harp on anything he does. He's darned if he does and darned if he don't with these people.

Just like their are some folks who will defend Nutt to the death regardless of what he does or doesn't do. 

The only difference is that those folks seem to be a bit more holier-than-thou about it as if their position somehow is more righteous than others.

razorbackdan

Quote from: mossfan3 on March 29, 2005, 01:46:28 pm
The inconsistency in punishments does not just happen with Nutt's players. Remember a few years ago when Bobby Bowden made Sebastian Janikowski run bleachers for a DWI or a bar fight, I can't remember which. It is a big time business and most of the stud players get some slack.

Mossfan makes a good point. 2 instances come to mind in regard to this issue. First one is when Peter Warrick and Laverneous Coles were busted shop lifting when at Free Shoes U. Warrick, a Heisman candidate, was suspended for 3 games while Coles, the 2nd or 3rd WR option, was kicked out of school. Funny how Coles is a playmaker in the NFL while few people even know Warrick is still in the league.
The other example is when LR and Lee Hayes were busted at the NWA Mall for trying to use the Five Finger Discount card that apparently, Dillard's doesn't honor. LR got a slap on the wrist because we beat out Texas, eATMe, and others for his signature while Lee Hayes, recruited by UK, Bowling Green and Louisville, was given the ole' heave-ho.
I think Clark Moore should have been kicked off the team for his DWI. Anyone care to explain why Jamar Gallon, a senior, got kicked off the team for a DWI while Moore, a senior, will most likely suit up this fall? Had Gallon been in trouble before while at UA?