Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anybody think Tubby erred in overtime?

Started by Jim Harris, March 28, 2005, 04:42:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Harris

He held out Sparks (who really couldn't guard the MSU perimeter) and Hayes (4 fouls) for the first two minutes of both overtime periods. Essentially, he had no offense on the court, with Azimbuike having a Famutimi-like day, to start both overtimes, and he also essentially was shortening the OTs to three-minute periods, which gave Michigan State a better chance to win, rather than his own team. I know that as regulation was winding down he kept Hayes on the bench until the 3-minute mark with the fou-problem  but I think he should have at least had Hayes out there to start both overtimes and get started offensively. Instead, after losing KA to fouls to start the second half, he went two minutes with NO offense and UK basically fell behind and out of it.
Also, the two quick fouls on Rondo to start the game, including that bogus charge-and-wipe-out-the-basket, didn't do Kentucky any favors, even though the Wildcats still managed to lead by halftime. Anybody who thinks they got any advantage from the refs yesterday has got to be crazy.
After a sensational debut by UK standards, Tubby's on a seven-season drought from the Final Four.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

biojosh

I think Tubby was playing not to lose instead of playing to win which is sure fire wire recipe for a loss.  You have to go into OT with the idea of finishing MSU off get things rolling early then if you run into foul problems you can hold them hopefully instead of trying to have a big strong push at the end.  Just my opinion and I of course have coached nothing more serious than 4th grade girls basketball.

hawgjowls

my opinion is that tubby did an outstanding job to get them there.  most of the better players on the team are freshman.  sparks is a nice player but he can't beat you off the dribble and can't guard anybody with any quickness.  there was a reason he was at western ky, slow and white and chuck hayes was the only really good upperclassmen they had. they will be really tough next year.imo

Jim Harris

Quote from: hawgjowls on March 28, 2005, 04:54:00 pm
my opinion is that tubby did an outstanding job to get them there. most of the better players on the team are freshman. sparks is a nice player but he can't beat you off the dribble and can't guard anybody with any quickness. there was a reason he was at western ky, slow and white and chuck hayes was the only really good upperclassmen they had. they will be really tough next year.imo

I agree with you completely. I'm not dissing Tubby, but all coaches make calculated calls and sometimes they backfire, and yesterday's OT may have for him.
Funny, but in December and as conference play started, Kentucky seemed to be only Hayes and Sparks and that was it. It was obvious how far the rest of the team had come in more than two months in that Sparks, outside of his 3-point shooting, had become much less of a factor. Wouldn't call him a non-factor, but Rondo and the other younger guards had come so far.
Nice to see Joe Crawford, who was going to quit at semester, wasn't afraid to put up a couple of crappy bricks when he replaced Azimbuike in the second overtime.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Biggus Piggus

I was surprised at As-you-brick-ee's performance, got taken out of his game, but I was screaming at the TV as Rondo dribbled away at the end of OT 1.  Taking it down to 7 secs before starting the offense was certain doom.
[CENSORED]!

wda52

That was Tubby there in OT. I thought Heath had slipped in to coach the OT. 19 seconds to have a shot for the win, no shot taken before time expires. Players looking like they have no idea what to do. No that must have been Heath coaching instead of Tubby.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: drakehog on March 28, 2005, 04:42:50 pm
He held out Sparks (who really couldn't guard the MSU perimeter) and Hayes (4 fouls) for the first two minutes of both overtime periods. Essentially, he had no offense on the court, with Azimbuike having a Famutimi-like day, to start both overtimes, and he also essentially was shortening the OTs to three-minute periods, which gave Michigan State a better chance to win, rather than his own team. I know that as regulation was winding down he kept Hayes on the bench until the 3-minute mark with the fou-problem  but I think he should have at least had Hayes out there to start both overtimes and get started offensively. Instead, after losing KA to fouls to start the second half, he went two minutes with NO offense and UK basically fell behind and out of it.
Also, the two quick fouls on Rondo to start the game, including that bogus charge-and-wipe-out-the-basket, didn't do Kentucky any favors, even though the Wildcats still managed to lead by halftime. Anybody who thinks they got any advantage from the refs yesterday has got to be crazy.
After a sensational debut by UK standards, Tubby's on a seven-season drought from the Final Four.

The four rebounds and five shots resulting in a 3 pt. shot by Mich. St. when KY was up by 4 is what cost KY the game.