Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I for one think closed practices are a good thing...

Started by arkcat, March 28, 2005, 01:34:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arkcat

I was working in Manhattan, Kansas when Bill Snyder showed up there and the very first change that everyone saw was the ten foot high, tarp covered fence that went up around the practice fields that was also laced with four rows of razor wire.  The only open practice became the spring game and the last 1/2 hour of practice each year before fan appreciation day.  He rolled into town with some extremely vocal coachs, Bob and Mike Stoops, Bret Venerables, Mark Mangino and others.  My point in all this is that if Coach Nutt and Herring and the rest of the group is going to light a fire under this teams butt, it may be best to do it when they don't have to worry about the virgin ears of kids, judging parents/fans/media or anyone else who may be watching.  Not to mention the destractions.  I say keep the players away from the media and let them earn the right to be interviewed. 

idochog

They will only be a good thing if we WIN, otherwise I could care less what he does in April.  If closing practices helps us end this horrid Zero for october and losses against SEC teams with winning records then Im all for it.
I love Jesus!

PigPusher

Of course all will miss the daily dose of Hog news, but it would be hard to buck the closed practices if it comes to the return of a successful program.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

hawkeyefan17

Being somewhat of an outsider, having not grown up in Arkansas or around the program, since I moved here a couple of years ago I have always been amazed at the openness of the football program. You guys get to hear everything and as a result you have some very good conversations and debates. You guys have been blessed by this openness.

For an example, at Iowa Kirk Ferentz has always closed practice and pretty much doesn't let anything out about what goes on at practice without his approval.

An extension of Ferentz's philosophy about spring practice is also the fact that Iowa has not had a real, full fledged spring game since Hayden Fry left and there is no spring game at all this year at Iowa (due to Kinnick Stadium Renovations) and the coaching staff likes it that way. Ferentz used to be an assistant under Bill Belichick when he was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns and I know that now as well as back then Bellichick is very protective of his program and what news gets out about it.

I don't know how common it is across the country to have a disconnect between the program and fans but this is something that pretty much all Big Ten fans have been used to for years.

Should Arkansas close practices? I will not form an opinion on that because you guys know more about the dynamics of the Arkansas football program than I do but from my perspective I am surprised that Arkansas has not done this sooner given the pressure cooker that is college football.

PigPusher

A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

PigPusher

Those of us that are a little older can remember the Arkansas brand of no nonsense smash mouth football that won a lot of games.  Hopefully we will be getting back to that.  Last year our tackling, for one, was horrible.

Hoggimistic

I used to go to all the practices, and loved it.  I would be more upset but I know it has its benefits. 

But honestly, The main reason I'm not upset is the fact that I'm out of school, and unfortunately have a job, which means I couldn't go now anyway.  ;)

mikeirwin

Quote from: arkcat on March 28, 2005, 01:34:53 pm
I was working in Manhattan, Kansas when Bill Snyder showed up there and the very first change that everyone saw was the ten foot high, tarp covered fence that went up around the practice fields that was also laced with four rows of razor wire. The only open practice became the spring game and the last 1/2 hour of practice each year before fan appreciation day. He rolled into town with some extremely vocal coachs, Bob and Mike Stoops, Bret Venerables, Mark Mangino and others. My point in all this is that if Coach Nutt and Herring and the rest of the group is going to light a fire under this teams butt, it may be best to do it when they don't have to worry about the virgin ears of kids, judging parents/fans/media or anyone else who may be watching. Not to mention the destractions. I say keep the players away from the media and let them earn the right to be interviewed.
Winning football games has nothing to do with opening practice to the fans and media or closing it.
Bill Synder would have won either way.
If players can't practice in front of a 100 or so fans and reporters what are they gonna do in front of 80 thousand?  Before a big SEC road trip HDN puts his guys in the Walker Indoor Pavilion with giant speakers blaring full tilt. If that doesn't distract them what are a few fans gonna do sitting 100 feet away up on a hill ?
Open practices were started by Frank Broyles who understood it was a way to generate interest and grow the fan base. Frank also had this crazy idea that the team belonged to the fans since they paid for everything.
Media publicity doesn't hurt it helps. If it doesn't why do you think 72 thousand fans keep showing up to watch Arkansas lose to Florida, Georgia and LSU ?
I'm actually enjoying the new policy. I have the day off instead of having to spend 2 hours trying to see if Cole Barthel and Alex Mortensen are better than Robert Johnson.
But you guys who think that a closed gate is gonna translate into wins and losses are kidding yourselves.
HDN has closed practice before and they've won some games. He's closed it and they've lost some.
Maybe Houston's next move will be to cut off all recruiting information. Maybe that will help this team win.

PigPusher

Open practices with Coach Broyles was not a big thing as few people as a rule went.  The reason I believe to a large degree was that back in the sixties we knew we were usually going to win.  Therefore we didn't go to practices desperate to see something that was going to have us win.

Jim Harris

Maybe Nutt just doesn't want the Internet "reporters" and the regular scribes reporting the daily horse race among the quarterbacks and the changes that are sure to come on defense.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

mikeirwin

March 28, 2005, 05:18:06 pm #11 Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 05:20:08 pm by mikeirwin
Quote from: drakehog on March 28, 2005, 04:44:48 pm
Maybe Nutt just doesn't want the Internet "reporters" and the regular scribes reporting the daily horse race among the quarterbacks and the changes that are sure to come on defense.
Actually this is exactly what I'm hearing. Especially the part about the QB's.
Gee, let's don't put any pressure on those guys. Don't want to make them nervous.
Bo might compare them on TV. Bob Holt might see one of them overthrow a pass.
Can't put that in the paper.
I'm sure this strategy will translate into four or five more wins next season.

Biggus Piggus

I guess now we might as well not even speculate on who the quarterback ought to be.  What will we do all summer?
[CENSORED]!

Extra Point

I would think there are ways to get "reports" from the practices.  Will the coaches and players be "off limits"?  There seem to be several places where one could "perch" themselves if the team is outside.

Macgyver_Hawg

Mike, we can let you borrow the Hogville Blimp if you want to take it for a run and float it over the field during practices.