Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pearl to TN

Started by JFHWGBKRIII, March 28, 2005, 11:44:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JFHWGBKRIII

Didn't see it posted.  Zonk me if I'm wrong.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2023497
ESPN has him signing at TN this afternoon.

gatecrasher

Quote from: JFHWGBKRIII on March 28, 2005, 11:44:12 am
Didn't see it posted. Zonk me if I'm wrong.

Deja vu...A coach takes his team on a Cinderella Tourney run and lands a coaching job in the SEC...Sound familiar people??

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: gatecrasherfan on March 28, 2005, 12:03:46 pm
Quote from: JFHWGBKRIII on March 28, 2005, 11:44:12 am
Didn't see it posted. Zonk me if I'm wrong.

Deja vu...A coach takes his team on a Cinderella Tourney run and lands a coaching job in the SEC...Sound familiar people??

yep, too bad the hogs took the candidate with ONE whole season of D1 Head coaching experience

at least pearl spent a decade in obscurity head coaching many of those seasons after the Ill/Iowa fiasco to fine tune his trade

batmanfan

haha damn friends...UT copied us...I hope and figure they have the same amount of success we have had with ole loser Stan....what a couple of loser programs people.

BAT
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

idochog

Actually didnt UT hire 3 up and comers in a row, Green, Peterson and now Pearl were all from small colleges correct?

You get what you pay for.
I love Jesus!

Biggus Piggus

Didn't Green come from Oregon?
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Green also was on his way out at Oregon when the Vols bailed him out.  That was a pretty weird exchange.
[CENSORED]!

hawkeyefan17

Bruce Pearl is a great hire for Tennessee.

This guy has paid his dues. In some ways I understand why he was basically shut out of the possiblilty of getting at Big Ten job and in some ways I don't get it but taking the Dr. Tom Davis style of play to the SEC is going to be fun to watch.

I am just glad someone gave him a chance as there was always the possibility that he could have been shut out of a big time job for the entirety of his career given the episode between Iowa and Illinois.

I am glad to see him get his shot. He will do fine, I just hope he doesn't beat Arkansas.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Did anyone read the end of that story?  About him taping calls to recruits and narking on a fellow conference school and causing them to get banned from postseason play?  I am so glad that Phat Phil will have a friend. ;D

WilsonHog

Seems like Tennessee had Kevin O'Neill in the mix for a couple of years too.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: DrMongoose on March 28, 2005, 09:51:44 pm
Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on March 28, 2005, 08:16:24 pm
Did anyone read the end of that story?  About him taping calls to recruits and narking on a fellow conference school and causing them to get banned from postseason play?  I am so glad that Phat Phil will have a friend. ;D
hello and welcome to last week. That's all anyone talked about when discussing the Illinois-UWM game. If a team is cheating as Illinois was shouldn't someone take them to task or should he just have let them run amuck?

Note to goose.  I have not been here for over 5 days.  I watched virtually no tournament because I am in mourning for Razorback basketball.  I'm sure he is a good coach and should've let it be known that Illinois was cheating.  Recording tapes on high school athletes sounds very Linda Trippish to me.  A simple phone call to the league office would've been sufficient.  And don't tell me that Phil doesn't enjoy negative recruiting against others in the conference.  I wish Pearl well, but I have nothing but contempt for the fat one.

hogmary

Buzz Peterson was head coach at Tulsa, like Nolan, Tubby Smith and Bill Self.

hawkeyefan17

Rocky&Boarwinkle,

I understand how you can look at Bruce Pearl and think he is a nark but....

At the time all of this stuff between Illinois and Iowa and the recruitment of Deon Thomas everyone in the world (or at least the Big Ten) thought Lou Henson (Illinois head coach at the time) was running a bad program so a lot of people, not just the people at Iowa were looking for dirt on Illinois.

Pearl recorded those conversations with Thomas at the orders of Dr. Tom Davis (former head coach at Iowa). Pearl turned Illinois in and an NCAA investigation came about. Illinois was hit with probation but not as a result of Pearl and the Deon Thomas situation it was basically as a result of Illinois not learning anything from previous sanctions put against them before.

Pearl gets raked over the coals by Illinois and other people because he is an easy scapegoat for a program that got in a lot of trouble under Lou Henson and of course it is easy to hold a grudge.

Bruce Weber (current Illinois head coach) was an assistant at Purdue at the time and has stayed very quiet on this situation, as he should. From what I have heard Weber and Pearl are good friends.

My point, Bruce Pearl did nothing wrong. He is wrongly blamed  and for years was banished to the lower levels of college basketball basically as punishment and he was just trying to do the right thing.