Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

10 minute scoring droughts

Started by razor, March 28, 2005, 09:39:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razor

Did anybody besides me notice that Duke went 10+ minutes with only one field goal in its game with Michigan St. Also, Utah had 2 separate scoreless stretches against Kentucky.........one for over 7 minutes and one for over 6 minutes......This doesn't mean the Hogs didn't suck at times this year of course, but I think it provides some perspective. Even Sweet 16 caliber teams can go through extended scoring droughts. Lets don't jump off the bridge just yet.

Biggus Piggus

Sweet 16-caliber teams do not deliberately throw games in March, either.
[CENSORED]!

razor

wow, so you think the Hogs intentionally went on those scoring droughts?

Jim Harris

Quote from: Spamalot on March 28, 2005, 09:46:32 am
Sweet 16-caliber teams do not deliberately throw games in March, either.

what part of the Tennessee game do you think we looked at each other and said, "Let's throw this game?" Because, for the first five minutes at least, it appeared as though we wanted to win. Then we couldn't make a 20-foot shot if the floor had been empty of other players.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Biggus Piggus

Here's what I look at.

Tennessee had 34 reboundable misses and retrieved 22 of them.  That's 65%.  40% would have been very good.  That may not impress you, but the Vols had been averaging 29% for the season.  Our effort level was nonexistent.

Arkansas had 31 reboundable misses and grabbed 8 of them.  That's 26%.  We had averaged 37%.

The Vols' defensive stats were miserable all season long, and we shot 1-13 from 3-pt range against them.  We scored 46 points.  You can tell me we just had a bad game if you want to.  The 46 points and the 35% defensive rebounding success rate say otherwise.  We quit.  Would I have expected them to quit from the opening tip, no.  Did they quit in the middle of the first half, no doubt.  Did every player quit, probably not.  Most of them did.

This was our glorious comeback effort after folding up at Auburn.  After the big team meeting.  How many charges do you put through a corpse before you admit it's lifeless?
[CENSORED]!

idochog

What I want to know is if we only have 5minute scoring droughts next year instead of 10minute scoring droughts, will you consider than improvement enough to keep Heath, *sarcasm*
I love Jesus!

gatecrasher

Quote from: razor on March 28, 2005, 09:39:15 am
Did anybody besides me notice that Duke went 10+ minutes with only one field goal in its game with Michigan St. Also, Utah had 2 separate scoreless stretches against Kentucky.........one for over 7 minutes and one for over 6 minutes......This doesn't mean the Hogs didn't suck at times this year of course, but I think it provides some perspective. Even Sweet 16 caliber teams can go through extended scoring droughts. Lets don't jump off the bridge just yet.
If they didn't run that stone-footed, no motion, Big 10 (there's 11 teams and they still call it Big 10...) offense maybe they would have had some better looks and maybe they wouldnt go 11 minutes without scoring like they did against Miss. St. 

Jim Harris

Quote from: Spamalot on March 28, 2005, 10:33:04 am
Here's what I look at.

Tennessee had 34 reboundable misses and retrieved 22 of them. That's 65%. 40% would have been very good. That may not impress you, but the Vols had been averaging 29% for the season. Our effort level was nonexistent.

Arkansas had 31 reboundable misses and grabbed 8 of them. That's 26%. We had averaged 37%.

The Vols' defensive stats were miserable all season long, and we shot 1-13 from 3-pt range against them. We scored 46 points. You can tell me we just had a bad game if you want to. The 46 points and the 35% defensive rebounding success rate say otherwise. We quit. Would I have expected them to quit from the opening tip, no. Did they quit in the middle of the first half, no doubt. Did every player quit, probably not. Most of them did.

This was our glorious comeback effort after folding up at Auburn. After the big team meeting. How many charges do you put through a corpse before you admit it's lifeless?

no, that does impress me and certainly, simple observation of the games on TV was that we lacked the kind of effort one would expect from a Razorback team, particularly when the shots didn't fall for minutes on end against the zone. The shots may not have fallen because our concentration was gone. Heath attributed the fold up to one heart-breaking loss after another. I've seen that happen to other teams in other places as well, and they bounced back the next season. Maybe I'm just to wishful about this, but I just don't see that it was a concerted effort to tank it at the end; the 6-10 record and close losses when 10-6 was reachable just emptied the tank. Not that I like it, and obviously JFB and certain board members didn't like it. I'm sure they didn't enjoy traveling all the way over to Atlanta for the second straight year and committing about $1,000 to a weekend of nothing but embarrassment.
It's just amazing in retrospect to now watch the teams in the NCAA giving a 180-degree effort to ours at the end of the season.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Fatty McGee

So if we didn't put out the effort during scoring droughts, like against Miss. State, how did we hold them to 54 points?

If the Big 10 offense sucks, how did Mich. State just beat KY with it?
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

gatecrasher

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 28, 2005, 11:20:13 am
So if we didn't put out the effort during scoring droughts, like against Miss. State, how did we hold them to 54 points?

We were 2nd in the SEC in scoring defense...you tell me a team that won't waste a decent defensive effort with scoring droughts like we had Fatty.  2nd in the SEC in scoring defense normally will win you a lot of games...but with the offensive nightmares we had, that effort was for naught.  And I didn't say every team in the big 10 was stone-footed...was just making light of Heath's offense.

Fatty McGee

I think you misunderstood my point.  My point was that the effort didn't always fall off during these scoring droughts.

I know what you were doing with regard to the offense. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

gatecrasher

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 28, 2005, 11:33:59 am
I think you misunderstood my point. My point was that the effort didn't always fall off during these scoring droughts.

I know what you were doing with regard to the offense.
Cool Fatty...you're correct, but it seemed like it happened at the most inopportune times.

Jim Harris

we didn't hold them to 54 points. Had we held them to 54 points, we would have won.

Patch

Good point. It must be the Coaching ;)

Hogger

Quote from: razor on March 28, 2005, 10:19:10 am
wow, so you think the Hogs intentionally went on those scoring droughts?
Quote from: Spamalot on March 28, 2005, 10:33:04 am
Here's what I look at.

Tennessee had 34 reboundable misses and retrieved 22 of them. That's 65%. 40% would have been very good. That may not impress you, but the Vols had been averaging 29% for the season. Our effort level was nonexistent.

Arkansas had 31 reboundable misses and grabbed 8 of them. That's 26%. We had averaged 37%.

The Vols' defensive stats were miserable all season long, and we shot 1-13 from 3-pt range against them. We scored 46 points. You can tell me we just had a bad game if you want to. The 46 points and the 35% defensive rebounding success rate say otherwise. We quit. Would I have expected them to quit from the opening tip, no. Did they quit in the middle of the first half, no doubt. Did every player quit, probably not. Most of them did.

This was our glorious comeback effort after folding up at Auburn. After the big team meeting. How many charges do you put through a corpse before you admit it's lifeless?

Maybe the team did.  Could have been a mutiny with the team wanting Heath gone.  Who knows for sure?

hogmary

It is coaching if you cannot figure out how to attack a zone after the halfway point of the season.  Either that, or you have the dumbest players on the face of the planet.  I don't think it's the players.  Either the coach doesn't know what he's doing or he cannot communicate it to the players.

Biggus Piggus

I'll join you, drake, and wishfully believe that our team was physically and emotionally tired for the third straight year while the really good teams are excited about making a stretch run.  Next year, everything will be PERFECTLY lined up for Stan Heath to lead his Razorbacks to meaningful games in March.  Next time it won't be surrender.  No head-wall bashing here.  We know who the coach will be.  If the Razorbacks show up after Valentine's Day next year, yippee!  We're back to average.

Quite a few people view this as a three-year mistake about to turn into a four-year one, but it ain't gonna change who's in charge.  Let's happily take our smoke afore we walks the plank.
[CENSORED]!

HighOnHogs

What happen to the days we look forward to the next season and going deep in the Tourney.  Now we wonder if we will even make the tourney the next season.  The first half  of this decade has sucked for Arkansas basketball.  I sure hope the second half is better or many young kids will not grow up feeling the same feelings about hog ball as many of us had.

gatecrasher

Quote from: drakehog on March 28, 2005, 01:17:03 pm

we didn't hold them to 54 points. Had we held them to 54 points, we would have won.
What was the final score of that game?

Jim Harris

Quote from: gatecrasherfan on March 28, 2005, 02:17:27 pm
Quote from: drakehog on March 28, 2005, 01:17:03 pm

What was the final score of that game?

Arkansas 55, Mississippi State 57

tophawg19

a lot of teams are finding recruiting seccuss in ark . this is going to continue & get worse as time goes on .Tenn . is building a wall around ark . in football .Everyone is able in basketball . Our aau teams are always top in the nation but we never recruit any of them.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins