Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fatigue not a factor for Arkansas

Started by Tomhog™, December 04, 2007, 03:25:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomhog™

link

One team had been idle for a week while the other was playing its fourth game in 10 days.

Ironically, the latter squad had more vim and vigor Monday night at Bud Walton Arena during Arkansas' 70-51 win over Missouri State (4-2 ). The victory gives Arkansas a five-game winning streak ahead of a nineday respite before its next game Dec. 12 against Texas-San Antonio.

SlopTalk

A weak first and a strong second half of basketball is going to be a theme all year with our guys. The press is designed to mentally and physically drain your opponent. Its effectiveness really comes in the late minutes of the first half and about halfway through the 2nd. Just think about this stat for a sec - through eight games we are +28 points in 1H vs +69 in 2H.  We also score, on average, 7% more in 2H vs 1H and hold our opponents to 8% fewer point in 2H vs 1H. Clearly, Pel's presser is working.

Further, I have to say our guys continue to amaze me with their conditioning.  Rarely do you see hands on a knee or lack of effort.  I love it.

Keep up the good work guys - sky is the limit with this team!

Tomhog™

Good analysis! As long as they don't fall too far behind early, the press will dig them out of holes and pull away even in some games as other teams wilt. That is what champions are made of.

BrooklynRoss

Conditioning has been a big difference between this years team and last year's team. Also: discipline, rebounding, defense. This all goes back to Pel. The one thing I couldn't stand any more was watching us lose with superior athletes to teams who play with more heart. I already feel that this has been addressed. Good job coach.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

alaback

Quote from: SlopTalk on December 04, 2007, 04:50:19 pm
A weak first and a strong second half of basketball is going to be a theme all year with our guys. The press is designed to mentally and physically drain your opponent. Its effectiveness really comes in the late minutes of the first half and about halfway through the 2nd. Just think about this stat for a sec - through eight games we are +28 points in 1H vs +69 in 2H.  We also score, on average, 7% more in 2H vs 1H and hold our opponents to 8% fewer point in 2H vs 1H. Clearly, Pel's presser is working.

Further, I have to say our guys continue to amaze me with their conditioning.  Rarely do you see hands on a knee or lack of effort.  I love it.

Keep up the good work guys - sky is the limit with this team!

Nice breakdown and good perspective!  We'll see what happens down the stretch this year.  If we turn just 4 losses per season into wins which would have been easy to imagine considering the last 2 years and close games we lost down the stretch we could easily be sitting at 25 wins entering the tournament.  We can be really good, but the turnovers need to get into the teens.  If that happens, look out!

Rayzback

December 04, 2007, 09:48:08 pm #5 Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 09:51:55 pm by Rayzback
We had a few Bear fans in our section. They were getting all pumped during the first half.... talking lots of crap.  I let them know just before the half, they had no depth and would not be keeping up with the Hogs for much longer. The pressure in the first half allowed them to get some easy baskets.  In the second half, they were noticeably tired. They started missing those easy shots. Pelphrey reloaded with a productive bench. We pressed to push the game tempo, and the bears had nothing left in the tank. Rope a dope :} It was awesome to watch!!!  WPS  :razorback:

As we get better, those easy first half baskets will start disappearing also... 

....hard to set a good zone too

Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin