Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anybody remember this skeleton in the closet?

Started by JIHawg, March 27, 2005, 07:32:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

This came up as a group was watching the basketball games today-During a Hogs/Tulsa football game in the 70's in Fayetteville, the Hogs were having a bad day, and at halftime an assistant coach slapped a player in the locker room.  The team went into meltdown in the 2nd half and the game ended in a tie, 20 to 20, which led Frank to cancel the Tulsa series.  Nobody could remember the assistant coach or the player, although there were some pretty good guesses.  Anybody remember?

piggly wiggly

There were no ties with Tulsa in the 70's.  We did lose the '71 game 21-20.  I thought Tulsa cancelled the series because Ark. would not play home and home with them.

rricha

In 1976 steve cox kicked the winning field goal to beat arkansas.  steve later transfered to arkansas were he was an all american

Oklahawg

Claude Gibson was a coach at TU during the late 60s, early 70s. He died of a heart attack during the season, I think. I believe he struck a player at halftime of a UA game. Could be really off on that one.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

mikeirwin

Quote from: piggly wiggly on March 27, 2005, 09:16:22 pm
There were no ties with Tulsa in the 70's. We did lose the '71 game 21-20. I thought Tulsa cancelled the series because Ark. would not play home and home with them.
You are correct.
The coach who made that desision clearly thought Tulsa was a big enough program to demand that Arkansas come play them at Skelly.
His program never quite made it to that level.
He was fired.
The lesson ? Make sure you are big time before you start acting big time.

idochog

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 28, 2005, 12:02:55 am
Quote from: piggly wiggly on March 27, 2005, 09:16:22 pm
There were no ties with Tulsa in the 70's. We did lose the '71 game 21-20. I thought Tulsa cancelled the series because Ark. would not play home and home with them.
You are correct.
The coach who made that desision clearly thought Tulsa was a big enough program to demand that Arkansas come play them at Skelly.
His program never quite made it to that level.
He was fired.
The lesson ? Make sure you are big time before you start acting big time.

Mike, Thats some sound advice that ASU should follow!
I love Jesus!

Theolesnort

The only skeleton I remember is the grim reaper showing up and killing the Ark season when Jon Richardson broke two bones in his leg. The curse of the Ark running backs struck again cause Jon never was the same. The ghostly moves of Jon Richardson disappeared forever. By the way rricha was Jon a cousin of yours? Jon and Gloria were good friends of mine before I lost touch after he moved to Az.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

HornetHog

Tulsa QB 1971.........? a stab in the dark....Drew Pearson - Dallas Cowboys WR
Just as smart as all the other smartarses on here

gatecrasher

Quote from: Phil on March 28, 2005, 11:38:02 am
The QB in 1971 (20-21) was Todd Starks. Drew Pearson had moved to flanker. We continued to play Tulsa for the next 20 years. The last game was in 1990. In 1991 Louisiana Lafayette replaced them as the Fayetteville game, then in 1992.....................the Citadel and the move to the SEC.
The Citadel....the Arkansas horror story of all time.

rricha

I never had the chance to meet the late Jon Richardson, I have always been asked if I was relateded to that set of Richardsons.  Jon was the first Black football player offered a scholorship to the University.  He paved the way for the future he did the unpopular thing and it worked for him.

Theolesnort

Jon was one fine young man. If he had not broke his leg we would be speaking of him with a little awe. He had some awesome moves before he was hurt.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Oklahawg on March 27, 2005, 10:19:51 pm
Claude Gibson was a coach at TU during the late 60s, early 70s. He died of a heart attack during the season, I think. I believe he struck a player at halftime of a UA game. Could be really off on that one.

He slapped TU receiver Drew Pearson around the entire halftime. Supposed he screamed, while gripping his chest, "Play like the NFL Hall-of-Famer I know you're going to be" and Pearson went out and helped beat the Hogs in the fourth quarter.

Actually, I made that up. ;D
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson