Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who would win this final four (Arkansas 94, UNLV 87, Illinois 05, UCONN 99)

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, March 27, 2005, 02:48:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

I think if Arkansas got UCONN  first then (after warming up) UNLV they would win the whole thing but if they faced UNLV from the jump the runnin Rebels would run with them and win the whole thing.  Illinois would defeat the Huskies but fall to both Arkansas & UNLV. 

UNLV - Head coach Jerry Tarkanian (37-2)

Arkansas  - Head coach Nolan Richardson (31-3)

UCONN - Head coach Jim Calhoun (34-2)

Illinois - Head coach Bruce Weber (32-1)

Goodbye Duke!!!

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

returntoglory

arkansas 94 would win against any team any time. i thought everybody on this site knew that.

Prince of Pork

I think we could have beat that Vegas team but it would have been a real showdown against there team three years after that one.  It is awfully sad that we have dropped so much that were doing this instead of matching up present day
*CUBS '05*   "THIS IS OUR YEAR"-make that 06-make that 07-make that 08-make that 09

gatecrasher

Didn't we beat UNLV in Barnhill in '90? (when they blew Duke away in the title game)

tigerroars

That '94 Razorback team was one of the best teams I have ever seen.  I don't think any of those teams would have a chance against that team.

rathog1

Hogking 7-09-05
11:42:25 PM
this will be a 1998 type season maybe better

gatecrasher

Quote from: rathog1 on March 27, 2005, 06:46:00 pm
Quote from: gatecrasherfan on March 27, 2005, 05:26:54 pm
Didn't we beat UNLV in Barnhill in '90? (when they blew Duke away in the title game)

Uh? No
Well seems like we played them in the regular seqason during that time period....during Tark's glory years.  Anyone that can fill in the holes, please do so.

Patch

Not sure why you have UNLV 87.

Their glory year was 1990. 1987 was the last year Bob Knight won a National Championship at IU.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Patch on March 28, 2005, 08:56:06 am

Their glory year was 1990. 1987 was the last year Bob Knight won a National Championship at IU.

You are correct Patch that is the same year they spanked Duke by 30+
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Patch

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on March 28, 2005, 09:06:21 am

BTW, I'd have to say that 1990 team would be my pick to win it all. That was by far the best team money could buy.  ;D

gatecrasher

Quote from: Patch on March 28, 2005, 09:13:41 am
Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on March 28, 2005, 09:06:21 am

BTW, I'd have to say that 1990 team would be my pick to win it all. That was by far the best team money could buy. ;D
That 1990 UNLV team (Anderson Hunt, Stacey Augmon, etc.) was arguably the best of all time...103-83 over Duke in the title game.  I don't know of a team off hand that could have played with them, although our championship team would have matched up well with them. 

tigerroars

Quote from: gatecrasherfan on March 28, 2005, 08:38:24 am

Uh? No
Well seems like we played them in the regular seqason during that time period....during Tark's glory years. Anyone that can fill in the holes, please do so.

I think we played them in 1992 at barnhill and lost by 1 or 2.

Kicking Wing

I have to agree with the posts about the 1990 UNLV team.  That was the best college team ever.  I don't think any of those 4 could stay on the floor with them.

Jim Harris

Quote from: tigerroars on March 28, 2005, 10:49:44 am

Uh? No
Well seems like we played them in the regular seqason during that time period....during Tark's glory years. Anyone that can fill in the holes, please do so.

No, we played them in Barnhill in Feb. 1991 and lost by 7 leading at hte half by 4 but trailing in the second half by 19. That team got beat by Duke by one in the national semifinals, their only loss.
We lost to them by 8 in December 1989 (the 1990 season) at Vegas, the team that went on to win the national championship and beat Duke by the same margin they beat UALR in the opening round.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Fatty McGee

Did that UConn team have Rip Hamilton, Caron Butler, and Khalid El-Amin?  Or was Butler later and they had a big man who I'm forgetting?

I'd pick the 90 UNLV team.  Although this Illini team would give any of them a run due to their guards.  Clint, Corey, and Scotty against those three would really be something to watch.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

gatecrasher

Quote from: drakehog on March 28, 2005, 11:23:44 am
Quote from: tigerroars on March 28, 2005, 10:49:44 am

Uh? No

No, we played them in Barnhill in Feb. 1991 and lost by 7 leading at hte half by 4 but trailing in the second half by 19. That team got beat by Duke by one in the national semifinals, their only loss.
We lost to them by 8 in December 1989 (the 1990 season) at Vegas, the team that went on to win the national championship and beat Duke by the same margin they beat UALR in the opening round.
Been looking for that info...thx dude!

texhog

'90 UNLV Team.  No one mentioned it but looking back, how in the hell did Michigan not win a title when they had the Fab 5 for those years in the early 90's.  Must be the best collection of talent on one team not to win a title.  Anyone else think of a better team that didn't win the title?

Patch

Quote from: texhog on March 28, 2005, 11:59:12 am
'90 UNLV Team. No one mentioned it but looking back, how in the hell did Michigan not win a title when they had the Fab 5 for those years in the early 90's. Must be the best collection of talent on one team not to win a title. Anyone else think of a better team that didn't win the title?

That's a good question. Not exactely sure if this counts, but Arkansas in '95. I know we won the year before, so technically that team won a NC, but the 95 team was basically the same +1 year of experience. I'd put our 95 team up against the Fab 5 anyday. Just my opinion though.

texhog

Was Al Dillard on the '95 team?  I was thinking he graduated after 94.  Maybe not.  Talk about a zone buster.  That guy hit some of the most amazing 3 pointers I ever saw.

Patch

I don't remember if he was or not, which brings up another good question. Does anyone know of a good site to find previous rosters of NCAA teams and/or National Champions

gatecrasher

Quote from: Patch on March 28, 2005, 12:54:00 pm
I don't remember if he was or not, which brings up another good question. Does anyone know of a good site to find previous rosters of NCAA teams and/or National Champions
Try ncaasports.com...they have alot of info on that site!

PorcineSublime

Not a choice, but I agree that the 90 UNLV team was maybe the best ever. Although if you go by later performance in the pros, the team with MJ and Worthy and Co. was pretty darn good. Maybe one of the best ever.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Patch

Quote from: gatecrasherfan on March 28, 2005, 02:21:44 pm
Quote from: Patch on March 28, 2005, 12:54:00 pm
Try ncaasports.com...they have alot of info on that site!

Thanks