Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs number crunch so far.

Started by Pignominious, December 04, 2007, 10:55:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pignominious

http://kenpom.com/sr.php?team=Arkansas&y=2008

This site is very good.  Probably the best. 

As you can notice we have some pretty good ratings in the area of defense and rebounding.  So far our big guys have been pretty lights out.  Townes is having a great year and Washington looks to be improving.  If Thomas can get a bit more consistant that will help too.  We are 3rd in block percentage per game, 65th in defensive rebounding per game, 49th in effective field goal percentage per game, and 97th in steal percentage per game.  Those are really excellent stats.  That tells me that our defense isn't lagging behind in one area like in previous years.  We actually seem to be forcing the other team into turnovers without giving to much up on rebounding or perimeter shooting, while at the same time blocking an extremly high number of shots.  Not many teams can do all those things without suffering drastically in the other area (ie, high forced turnovers, and low rebounding percentages).  That will go a long way especially if we can gain consistancy on offense. 

On offense we are 10th in offensive rebounding percentage per game and we are 19th in effective 2pt. field goal percentage per game.  After that things fall off pretty quickly.  So far we have been extraordinarily bad at protecting the basketball, notice we are 317th in turnover percentage.  Not good at all.  We are also only shooting 30% on three's which is fairly bad considering this is non-conference.  Obviously our offense to date has relied on our big guys.  The rebounding rate and 2pt% shows that.  When we get the ball inside the lane good things happen.  If we can ever get the turnovers under control we are going to be pretty good this year.  This team will never be great at shooting the ball but that will be solved with new players.  To me the stats seem to show that these guys are really playing hard for Pelphrey.  Its refreshing to see us actually get some rebounds and force turnovers in the same game.  That hardly ever happened with Heath.  Pelphrey is a winner folks.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.