Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spring practice closed to public and media

Started by PerryHog, March 27, 2005, 07:23:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PerryHog

After the first 15 minutes. What's that about?

Houston is afraid the other teams will get wind of his trick draw play?
Afraid of message board talk if it's reported fish is the starting qb?
Nutt's widdle feelings are hurt, so fans can't watch practice anymore?

Naw, I think nutt's afraid to let anyone see Herring abuse the hell out of his precious'es.

What do you guys think about closing the spring like that? How about you media guys?

gatecrasher

Whatever works is just fine with me as long as the results come out on the field!

pioneerhog

If it turns into Wins in the fall, I don't care what they do.

El Dog Hog

I think its very intresting. 2 Years ago when we went to Texas we shut down practice to the media, and that seemed to work ok. He probably doesnt want anyone getting a heads up on RJ or Alex. Im very excited about the QB race this year. I heard reports last year that Alex had already learned the whole playbook by like summer ball, which is amazing. Im sure the naysayers will spin that to say something against Coach Nutt (shocking I know) Its going to be a new look on both sides of the ball I think. I think Robert will be effective if he does his thing, and doesnt try and be matt jones. Also, I cant wait to see what our WR looks like this year. Monk, Baker, Washington, Brown... wow. Thats a very nice WR core.

Also, I was driving the other day and couldnt find sports rap on the radio, so I had to listen to drive time, did anyone hear the list of the players who werent going to do spring practice b/c they were hurt? It was atleast 10 players long, maybe 15. That cant be good. D Howard, Harrell, Chris Houston maybe.

Oklahawg

A couple of ways to interpret this.

HDN could be tweaking things and not wanting to show his hand yet. Moving players around or a new set of formations...anything that he later scraps could be tossed up at him as an act of desperation.

Concerns that info will leak and he feels a need to control what's going on with the team.

My favorite: he wants the players totally focused on the business at hand (and to give the coaches full opportunity to have their attention). No distractions. No one to flirt with or wave to.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

PigPusher

March 27, 2005, 01:11:51 pm #5 Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 01:14:21 pm by PigPusher
Good grief they close practice and they are going to loose a bunch of coaches. Mann!!!!!  ;);) Personally don't care that they close practices as long as the end justifies the means as they say.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

WilsonHog

March 27, 2005, 01:27:53 pm #6 Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 01:30:24 pm by WilsonHog
How you feel about HDN closing practice is directly tied to how you feel about him as a coach.  Those posters who stilll support him as the Razorbacks' coach tend to see nothing sinister in it, while those who don't read all kinds of ulterior motives into the decision.

From an objective standpoint, I'm not sure that it's a wise move.  It may well be that he will need all of the goodwill with the media that he can muster over the next year, and what he seems to have done with this decision is make their job harder.  For someone who appears to be pretty skilled at the behind-the-scenes public relations part of the job, he doesn't seem to be skilled at public PR. 

mikeirwin

Quote from: ImHogginIt on March 27, 2005, 08:17:43 am
Quote from: PerryHog on March 27, 2005, 07:23:08 am

Naw, I think nutt's afraid to let anyone see Herring abuse the hell out of his precious'es.

What do you guys think about closing the spring like that? How about you media guys?

Anything to give us the slightest bit of an advantage I'm OK with
What advanatge will it give ?
What it will do is allow Houston to say whatever he wants in print and who is going to know if its true or not ?
This program has always belonged to the fans. It's the main reason why Arkansas is Arkansas and Arkansas State is Arkansas State.
Frank Broyles had the most open practice policy I've ever seen. He had nothing to hide. He also knew his program was nothing without the fans.
The media should boycott these practices and cover Arkansas State. But they won't because all of us are too wimpy.
If this policy stands I'm going to join the John Brummett fan club. It will prove he is right about us.

PaulSqueals

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 27, 2005, 01:45:51 pm

What it will do is allow Houston to say whatever he wants in print and who is going to know if its true or not ?
This program has always belonged to the fans. It's the main reason why Arkansas is Arkansas and Arkansas State is Arkansas State.
Frank Broyles had the most open practice policy I've ever seen. He had nothing to hide. He also knew his program was nothing without the fans.
The media should boycott these practices and cover Arkansas State. But they won't because all of us are too wimpy.
If this policy stands I'm going to join the John Brummett fan club. It will prove he is right about us.
Mike, I would suggest you drive over to OU or OSU to cover their spring practices.  However, they closed their practices last year and assume they will do the same this year

mikeirwin

I'm not interested in what OSU or OU does. This is not about how good a team is. Closed or open practices don't determine wins and losses. You don't win or lose because of a media/fans policy.
Closed practices make my job easy. I send a photographer over at the start. He gets some useless video of the players warming up. I show up for 15 minutes at the end and put on the air whatever HDN says. No muss. No fuss. I go home and spend time with my family and you guys who make the program possible with your ticket purchases don't know anything more than what HDN tells you.
I'm sure that's fine with some of you. You probaby figure whatever happens in the games happens and the in between doesn't matter. If that's your thinking why not leave this message board?
Why not avoid the TV sports except for the day of the game ?
No need for the newspapers. Just watch the games. That'll tell you all you need to know.
I know it's done that way at some pretty good programs. The only info the public gets is the info the coach wants them to get.
I'm betting that more than a few of you don't want it to be that way here.
But if you think that closing things down is gonna make this team win then do your part and never read another message board or newspaper.
See no, hear no, speak no....... ::)

HogInMemphis

Me too. Nothing wrong with having private practices. Heck, we did that in high school for a couple of weeks when we got word that someone was watching our practices from the 12 story building across Lee Ave. for the benefit of a couple of our city school opponents - not that practicing in private did us any good.

CardinalHog

March 27, 2005, 02:41:24 pm #11 Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 02:43:42 pm by CardinalHog
Quote from: mikeirwin on March 27, 2005, 02:04:56 pm
I'm not interested in what OSU or OU does. This is not about how good a team is. Closed or open practices don't determine wins and losses. You don't win or lose because of a media/fans policy.
Closed practices make my job easy. I send a photographer over at the start. He gets some useless video of the players warming up. I show up for 15 minutes at the end and put on the air whatever HDN says. No muss. No fuss. I go home and spend time with my family and you guys who make the program possible with your ticket purchases don't know anything more than what HDN tells you.
I'm sure that's fine with some of you. You probaby figure whatever happens in the games happens and the in between doesn't matter. If that's your thinking why not leave this message board?
No need for the newspapers. Just watch the games. That'll tell you all you need to know.
I know it's done that way at some pretty good programs. The only info the public gets is the info the coach wants them to get.
But if you think that closing things down is gonna make this team win then do your part and never read another message board or newspaper.

I haven't covered a practice in a while, but I remember Nutt closing practice to the media following the first 15 minutes during Texas week in '03.  All we had to do was stand outside the gate until practice ended and Nutt trotted over and would say his typical, "We bounced around today.  I love their heart...etc.."  We could still watch the practice through the bars of the gates.

I don't see what they're trying to accomplish closing the practices.  Sounds like he's trying to make the fans feel that he means business this year and that this year is different from all the others.  I'm not buying it, but we'll see. 

HogInMemphis

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 27, 2005, 02:04:56 pm

I already never read neither the sports section or the local section of my newspaper. It's all litter box material. I don't watch the news either. I get my daily nfo from Hogville.

By the way Mike, when are TV stations and the people who control the content going to stop having so many awful stories on every newscast? Are you not sick when you sit down to the 10:00 news and the first 10 minutes contain tragedies, robberies, murders, etc? I stopped watching the news years ago - very depressing and stressful. My thinking is, life's too short to subject yourself to that on a daily basis.  It's always going to happen so why watch reports of it every night?

PaulSqueals

LSU is another program that closes every practice....not saying it's right or wrong, but Mike and his buddies don't need to feel like the lone ranger.

mikeirwin

Quote from: HogInMemphis on March 27, 2005, 02:43:59 pm
I already never read neither the sports section or the local section of my newspaper. It's all litter box material. I don't watch the news either. I get my daily nfo from Hogville.
Hogville is a good place to get information. But how much of what is on here comes from people who either have been at practice or have talked to somebody who has ?
If you don't have that you have what I'm always complaining about: People who makes statements based on pure speculation.
All we've heard since December is Robert Johnson this or Alex Mortensen that and Cole Barthel is this...yadda yadda yadda.
Tomorrow was your chance to really find out how they looked.
Not now. You will know what HDN says. That's it.
Bottom line, in '75 the practice coverage rules were the same as they were in '76. The Hogs won the SWC and the Cotton Bowl in '75. They were dog meat in '76.
This is NOT about winning and losing.
It's about what YOU KNOW and what YOU DON"T KNOW.
If I'm a season ticket holder I want to know what they're doing.
But I'm not a season ticket holder.
If this policy is okay with you guys it's okay with me. I could use the extra time off.

PaulSqueals

Mike, I'm a season ticket holder and it's ok with me.

mikeirwin

Quote from: PaulSqueals on March 27, 2005, 03:04:54 pm
Mike, I'm a season ticket holder and it's ok with me.

You're one guy. You figure that's a consensus ?

PaulSqueals

mikeirwin

March 27, 2005, 03:20:59 pm #18 Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 05:30:16 pm by mikeirwin
Quote from: HogInMemphis on March 27, 2005, 02:43:59 pm
By the way Mike, when are TV stations and the people who control the content going to stop having so many awful stories on every newscast? Are you not sick when you sit down to the 10:00 news and the first 10 minutes contain tragedies, robberies, murders, etc? I stopped watching the news years ago -
Part of the problem may be where you live. We don't have a lot of tragedies, robberies, murders, etc.  in NW Arkansas so it doesn't take up as much of the news.
I can tell you that these decisions are not made without thought. Basically when you don't cover these stories it shows up in the ratings.
It's sort of like the Jerry Springer Show. I think that show is completely goofy, worse than worthless. But it wouldn't be on if nobody was watching.

gatecrasher

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 27, 2005, 01:45:51 pm

It's cool with me Mike...the main thing I wait on during spring practice anyhow is the end....the depth chart...to see who has the upper hand at each position going into 2-a-days.  It doesn't matter what HDN does now...all I can say is if we're not playing for the West title on Friday Nov. 25, whatever he does between now and then may not matter anyhow. I'll go with CFN's assessment of Nutt's situation....anything less than a 2nd place finish in the West is unacceptable...LSU in my eyes is a national title contender, provided they get steady play from the QB spot.

mikeirwin

March 27, 2005, 03:58:03 pm #20 Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 04:09:33 pm by mikeirwin
On this board I have read endless complaints about Stan Heath. He can't coach. His system stinks. His players are out of shape. They never practice against a zone. They don't shoot enough free throws in practice.
Under Nolan the access was unlimited. Questions like these could be answered because you had reporters and fans there every day watching.
Heath has more restrictions. It's harder to know what's going on. Still we were able to see enough to answer some of those questions.
I fully understand that some of you don't think what happens day to day is very important.
I don't agree because I know that what happens in games has it's origins in workouts.
I can't tell you how many times I've seen things good and bad in a practice that showed up later as good and bad in a game.
The discussions and arguments that pop up on this board should at least be based on real information.
But maybe not. Maybe that's the real point. Information is not important.
Gee I wonder why ESPN gives all that money to Chris Mortensen ?
All he does is give information.

WilsonHog

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 27, 2005, 03:58:03 pm
On this board I have read endless complaints about Stan Heath. He can't coach. His system stinks. His players are out of shape. They never practice against a zone. They don't shoot enough free throws in practice.
Under Nolan the ascess was unlimited. Questions like these could be answered because you had reporters and fans there every day watching.
Heath has more restrictions. It's harder to know what's going on. Still we were able to see enough to answer some of those questions.
I fully understand that some of you don't think what happens day to day is very important.
I don't agree because I know that what happens in games has it's origins in workouts.
I can't tell you how many times I've seen things good and bad in a practice that showed up later as good and bad in a game.
The discussions and arguments that pop up on this board should at least be based on real information.

There is a faction of the internet fan base that doesn't particularly care for facts and eyewitness information, because exposure to it prevents them from drawing their own conclusions about what is right and wrong with the program.  To paraphrase an old saying, "Never let the facts get in the way of an internet opinion."

mikeirwin

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 27, 2005, 04:11:48 pm
Under Nolan the ascess was unlimited. Questions like these could be answered because you had reporters and fans there every day watching.

There is a faction of the internet fan base that doesn't particularly care for facts and eyewitness information, because exposure to it prevents them from drawing their own conclusions about what is right and wrong with the program. To paraphrase an old saying, "Never let the facts get in the way of an internet opinion."
Thanks WilsonHog. Now I understand. 
I'll go away. Enough's been written from me about this subject.
I'm in a good mood now. The Diamond Hogs (a team that loves to have fans at practice) finally beat MSU.

Prince of Pork

Who wants to bet me that the number of fender benders on Razorback road goes up 100%?
*CUBS '05*   "THIS IS OUR YEAR"-make that 06-make that 07-make that 08-make that 09

WilsonHog

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 27, 2005, 04:19:08 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on March 27, 2005, 04:11:48 pm

There is a faction of the internet fan base that doesn't particularly care for facts and eyewitness information, because exposure to it prevents them from drawing their own conclusions about what is right and wrong with the program. To paraphrase an old saying, "Never let the facts get in the way of an internet opinion."
Thanks WilsonHog. Now I understand.
I'll go away. Enough's been written from me about this subject.
I'm in a good mood now. The Diamond Hogs (a team that loves to have fans at practice) finally beat MSU.

Actually, the fact that most here appreciate good information is what sets this board apart from most.

Sometimes I think we hold those in power on the Hill in too high an esteem, as if they're favoring us with a privilege that will be taken away if we ask too many questions or voice an opinion too strongly.

In my limited experience  with it, the media coverage at Razorback practices was always high.  Numerous newspaper, television, radio, and magazine reporters around. That's probably something that is taken for granted. I wonder what the reaction would be if the Razorbacks held a practice and no one came?

I've been told that there are schools out there fortunate to have one or two reporters there after practice.

PerryHog

I wanted to hear what's going on in spring practice. From the coaches, media, and mostly from the fans who attend. Fan reports have been good in the past. I see no possible benefit to closing practice.

Someone can't take the heat.

Fletch

It doesn't bother me at all that spring practices are closed and I am a season ticket holder. I can't recall a lot of great useful information coming out of media coverage when they are open. I just don't think there is that much relevent information from a few spring practices that is going to determine what happens in the fall. I'm just going by as much as I can remember but it seems to me about all you get from media coverage is the media interviewing the coaching staff and getting their opinion on how practice went that day anyway. Whether practice is open or closed you see HDN on TV telling his opinion on how things are going. But then again maybe I am just watching the wrong station. You may get live footage of practices and the sportscasters opinion also, but is there really anything relevent that the coaches don't tell you. Sorry, but I don't buy into any conspiracy that the coaching staff is trying to hide anything. HDN is the head coach and it is his decision. I may not agree with it but I do support it. It happens at a lot of places. Big deal.
I feel like $100

pioneerhog

Will someone on this board have any inside info and be able to keep us somewhat up to date on what goes on in spring practice?

PigPusher

March 27, 2005, 08:55:53 pm #28 Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 08:57:26 pm by PigPusher
We talk about the good old days and all the good things that happened in football, but one sad fact.  As I have said before from 65 through
71 while in school I tried to go to the practices as much as possible which was nearly every day.  Many times I was the only fan on the sidelines.  Nearly always there was not more than two or three fans at the practice.  And, we talk about the good old days.  Now it is a media event nearly everyday.  What happened?  From 64 on for a number of years were our supposed glory years, with no fan participation during practice.  I dare say that back then most would not have cared one way or the other whether the practices were closed.

It could be that it is pay back time for all the bad press he has gotten on the hog boards.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

PorcineSublime

I don't really care one way or the other, but I think for a guy trying to rebuild his fan base this doesn't seem too smart. He lost a lot of goodwill with the LSU flirtation and needed some help making it up. A 10-2 season next year would do that. Maybe he thinks he has shot at that with this closed practice thing. He had better be right, because if he tanks it, he will catch heck from corners he thought were safely his. If he does win 9-10 the next two to three years he can run for Gov and no one will care about the LSU thingy.WPS
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Phat Hawg

Quote from: ImHogginIt on March 27, 2005, 09:39:24 pm

Would keep other teams from knowing what we do until the Fall. They can't think of game plans to implement against us over the Summer because they won't know what we are gonna do. Yes, opposing coaches do think of game plans some during the Summer months not just game week. Even if its just a slight advantage we could gain we need it this year.

I'm very sure that Spurrier, Fulmer, Meyer, Tubberville and the others are so concerned with the powerhouse that Houston's building up here in the Ozarks that they'll take some time from their spring practices to sneak up here to get a head start.

Jesus.

Oklahawg

Mike, I for one would love to have you and others there to report on the happenings. Its what fuels senseless optimism and, conversely, the tinderbox of controversy. I think a coach trying to save his hide and maybe his job, not to mention trying to drum up 40K for the spring game, would want folks there reporting willy-nilly on the goings-on.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hawgfan_18

they're gonna let fans and media in for the red-white game aren't they? may be a stupid question but after closing the practices who knows.  by the way when is the red-white game???

Scott O.

If you watch a Chris Mortensen report he'll usually start out by saying, "Sources tell me..." or "A source for the (insert NFL team) says..."  He rarely gives first hand information.  ESPN gives him big bucks because he is the most well connected reporter in the NFL (maybe in all of the professional sports). 

In the internet age it's very hard to keep information from the public.  I'm sure there will be reports from practice from someone who has a source.

Illinihog

Mike, you won't go home or do anything else in that time slot.  You'll stand by the fence, watch, and wait til the end. 

Biggus Piggus

Surely our SEC brethren have scouted a few our Nutt's past spring practices and concluded they won't learn anything by watching them.
[CENSORED]!

Swino

Quote from: Spamalot on March 28, 2005, 07:41:23 am
Surely our SEC brethren have scouted a few our Nutt's past spring practices and concluded they won't learn anything by watching them.

LOL!  That is the dang truth.  How many times has HDN's spring playbook actually made it to the first game?   Is he going to hide his new offense from opponents?  Nah, he only has 1 tailback this spring and he is a 4th stringer.  Through in the fact that he is also missing 2 tackles and you know that absolutly nothing that is done this spring will carry over on the offensive side of the ball.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Swino on March 28, 2005, 08:02:13 am

LOL! That is the dang truth. How many times has HDN's spring playbook actually made it to the first game? Is he going to hide his new offense from opponents? Nah, he only has 1 tailback this spring and he is a 4th stringer. Through in the fact that he is also missing 2 tackles and you know that absolutly nothing that is done this spring will carry over on the offensive side of the ball.

Most of the problem has been spring depth.  Think back over past years and who was missing spring practices due to injury, track or basketball.

I don't buy this notion that Herring is the shadow head coach, but I believe he serves as someone who knows how good organizations are run + and won't sit on his hands when HDN goes into rabbit-chasing mode, or vacillates on a time-wasting issue.  JT objected too but never was really bought in.  Herring comes in a Nutt insider.  He's not going to jump chain of command, but his presence helps most everything.  I can't wait to see what effect he has on the recruiting process.
[CENSORED]!

idochog

Quote from: Spamalot on March 28, 2005, 09:00:51 am

LOL! That is the dang truth. How many times has HDN's spring playbook actually made it to the first game? Is he going to hide his new offense from opponents? Nah, he only has 1 tailback this spring and he is a 4th stringer. Through in the fact that he is also missing 2 tackles and you know that absolutly nothing that is done this spring will carry over on the offensive side of the ball.

Most of the problem has been spring depth. Think back over past years and who was missing spring practices due to injury, track or basketball.

I don't buy this notion that Herring is the shadow head coach, but I believe he serves as someone who knows how good organizations are run + and won't sit on his hands when HDN goes into rabbit-chasing mode, or vacillates on a time-wasting issue. JT objected too but never was really bought in. Herring comes in a Nutt insider. He's not going to jump chain of command, but his presence helps most everything. I can't wait to see what effect he has on the recruiting process.

Whats really amazing is HDN has had guys in JFerguson and JThompson that has/is giving him some of the same type hard-nosed talk/advice and it just now takes one of HDN's "buddies" to get him to listen.  If that isnt an indication of HDN's stubborness I dont know what is.
I love Jesus!

gatecrasher

Quote from: ImHogginIt on March 28, 2005, 09:23:48 am

LOL!  That is the dang truth.  How many times has HDN's spring playbook actually made it to the first game?   Is he going to hide his new offense from opponents?  Nah, he only has 1 tailback this spring and he is a 4th stringer.  Through in the fact that he is also missing 2 tackles and you know that absolutly nothing that is done this spring will carry over on the offensive side of the ball.

Without Matt maybe we are going back to the offense we ran in 98' and 99'.
That means a much more prolific offense.  We have the receivers to do so.  HDN would be a fool to be too conservative with the skill we have at receiver.  I can't wait to see Monk this season with a year's experience behind him.  If a hreat emerges at tailback and we get good balance in our offense, potentially we could be potent offensively.  Of course that will remain to be seen.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: ImHogginIt on March 28, 2005, 12:56:24 am
I've been a HDN supporter all along so I don't give a Shiite what he does as long as he at least goes 7-4 in the regular season. Anything less than that and I'm ready for a new regime.

amen.  7-4 would be a great season given the schedule next year and would be a nice improvement/turnaround from last season. Basically, it would mean that the Hogs lose to USC (which is no embarrassement, especially at their place) and would go 5-3 in SEC. If we go 5-3 in the SEC next year, I would literally be for giving Nutt a 5 yr. contract extension.

Do I think the Hogs have a snowball's chance in hell of going 5-3 in SEC next year?   NO.

Jim Harris

we're putting in the Wishbone. Houston didn't want to let Southern Cal know anything beforehand.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Biggus Piggus

Case for 5-3 in the SEC in 2005...

On our schedule

Vanderbilt
Alabama (road)
Georgia (road)
Auburn
South Carolina
Ole Miss (road)
MSU
LSU (road)

Got to win our home games and one on the road, or sweep the Mississippi teams and lose just one at home.  I wouldn't call it impossible.
[CENSORED]!

idochog

Quote from: Spamalot on March 28, 2005, 10:37:29 am

On our schedule

Vanderbilt
Alabama (road)
Georgia (road)
Auburn
South Carolina
Ole Miss (road)
MSU
LSU (road)

Got to win our home games and one on the road, or sweep the Mississippi teams and lose just one at home. I wouldn't call it impossible.

Home games all should be "W's".  It would not be a good thing to be on the hot seat and not show up at Home is all I can say.  The most likely road victory is Ole Piss.  I think Bama is a potential but based on HDN's history 5-3 is the most we can likely predict since hes never finished better than that since 1998 (his 1st year)
I love Jesus!

Swino

Quotewe're putting in the Wishbone. Houston didn't want to let Southern Cal know anything beforehand.

Ha!  My secretary peeked her head in to see what in the hell I was laughing at!

HOGLEG

IMO... It's just a ploy to get more people to come see our customary 2-hand touch scrimmage. I certainly won't be believing Nutt's meally-mouthed crap he'll be spewing. "Well RJ looked good today....checked off a few times & got us out of a bad play. Mortenson looked good out there....very accurate. Cole Barthel.... Very mature... got us in & out of the huddle, really manages the offense well." And so on and so forth. By the time the scrimmage roles round I'll be starved for some football. Course I'm not a real big baseball fan, So I'm probably in the minority.

gatecrasher

Quote from: HOGLEG on March 28, 2005, 11:46:36 am
IMO... It's just a ploy to get more people to come see our customary 2-hand touch scrimmage. I certainly won't be believing Nutt's meally-mouthed crap he'll be spewing. "Well RJ looked good today....checked off a few times & got us out of a bad play. Mortenson looked good out there....very accurate. Cole Barthel.... Very mature... got us in & out of the huddle, really manages the offense well." And so on and so forth. By the time the scrimmage roles round I'll be starved for some football. Course I'm not a real big baseball fan, So I'm probably in the minority.
Dude you could be HDN's press guy!!!  You sound just like him.

idochog

Quote from: HOGLEG on March 28, 2005, 11:46:36 am

Man, You forgot the famous "Well they bounced around pretty well today" quote.
I love Jesus!

HighOnHogs

March 28, 2005, 01:48:07 pm #48 Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 01:50:17 pm by HighOnHogs
I think we are hiding our new secret weapon/recruit.

[attachment deleted by admin]

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Spamalot on March 28, 2005, 10:37:29 am

On our schedule

Vanderbilt
Alabama (road)
Georgia (road)
Auburn
South Carolina
Ole Miss (road)
MSU
LSU (road)

Got to win our home games and one on the road, or sweep the Mississippi teams and lose just one at home.  I wouldn't call it impossible.

No, not impossible. But other than Nutt's first year, have we gone undefeated at home in SEC play? I don't think so. But, other than Auburn, that's a pretty weak home SEC schedule. You can't hope for a much easier home SEC schedule than that. Having said that, I think we lose to either Auburn or SC at home. That'd be 3 losses in a row to Auburn or 2 losses in a row to SC, neither a pleasant thought or outcome. We can easily beat Ole Miss in Oxford but the other three are virtual lock losses. I see 5-3 as possible but not likely and would bet $ that the Hogs go 4-4 next year in SEC.