Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turnovers...Not a Cause For Concern

Started by dmac4sainthood, December 04, 2007, 01:53:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dmac4sainthood

While conventional belief would be that TOs are bad, and despite being up from last year, they are not at this point a cause for concern.  It is to be expected, and minimized as much as possible.

Every style of play has its plus and minus sides.  If you are a zone team, you generally have some rebounding liabilities, etc. 

If you play up tempo, you will turn the ball over more for two reasons: 1)more possessions...there are simply more possessions, and even if you turn the ball over 1 our of every 6.5 offensive possessions, which I believe is fairly close to the NCAA I average, if you have more possessions, your ratio could remain consistant, but your total TOs would be up.  2)Uptempo play demands riskier play.  You make more aggressive passess, dribbles, and moves into trafic.  On bad nights, TOs will really hurt the Hogs, but it is a liability that goes along with the territory.

chiefsfan

Quote from: dmac4sainthood on December 04, 2007, 01:53:20 am
While conventional belief would be that TOs are bad, and despite being up from last year, they are not at this point a cause for concern.  It is to be expected, and minimized as much as possible.

Every style of play has its plus and minus sides.  If you are a zone team, you generally have some rebounding liabilities, etc. 

If you play up tempo, you will turn the ball over more for two reasons: 1)more possessions...there are simply more possessions, and even if you turn the ball over 1 our of every 6.5 offensive possessions, which I believe is fairly close to the NCAA I average, if you have more possessions, your ratio could remain consistant, but your total TOs would be up.  2)Uptempo play demands riskier play.  You make more aggressive passess, dribbles, and moves into trafic.  On bad nights, TOs will really hurt the Hogs, but it is a liability that goes along with the territory.

The only flaw in your logic is that we are averaging turning the ball over once every 3.5 posessions or so this season

Thats way to much
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

hogninja

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 04, 2007, 02:43:11 am
The only flaw in your logic is that we are averaging turning the ball over once every 3.5 posessions or so this season

Thats way to much

until after the bearcrawls in PRico, that got their attention.  Since then, acceptable levels.

dmac4sainthood

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 04, 2007, 02:43:11 am

Thats way to much
I was making the point, that until they become truly excessive, like against Providence, the fact they are at 18-22 a game is not that high concidering their style of play.  Obviously, you are correct, when they become that excessive, measures must be taken, and they clearly were.  But the fact that TOs are up by itself is not really cause for concern given the style of play.

When I was using the 6.5 stat, that is averaging the slow and medium paces too.  The faster you go, the more likely you are to have TOs.

blacksuit

Charles Thomas is averaging over 3 per game. What's up with that?

wholehog92

I think 1 every 5 is a good goal for this team.  As they get used to the system, I would expect it to improve.  Anytime you have a posession without a shot, it's a problem.  They should always have fewer turnovers than their opponents IMHO if they are dictating the pace.  Opponents are not ready for the speed of play or the conditioning. 
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

hog_co-pilot

I agree that with this style of play we're prone to have more TOs than what we're used to; however, I think that Pel is a perfectionist and if he only wants 12-15 TOs a game that's what he'll get.
Woo Pig Sooie!

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: hogninja on December 04, 2007, 04:31:35 am
until after the bearcrawls in PRico, that got their attention.  Since then, acceptable levels.

Ha, yeah, the bearcrawls, they are a proven motivator.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.