Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thoughts on the NCAA Tourney

Started by hogband6, March 08, 2005, 07:55:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogband6

Does anyone outside of me feel that the tourney could be much better if they actually took the top 64 (or 65) teams and not these small schools who win a small-time tourney??  I just watched Oakland beat ORU, and they were 11-?? in the Mid-Continent Conf.  Give them a seed in the NIT or something.  I can see any team in the SEC beating them easily.  Just thought I'd see what you guys think about it.

Lando Calrissian

It's the best tournament in all of sports.

Why mess with something that's near perfection already?  Plus I love seeing those darkhorse teams make a deep run in the tourney.

If only college football would get it's act together.  Now THAT would be the tournament to end all tournaments.  But alas, that is a topic for an entirely different time.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

PorcineSublime

How about taking it back to 48 teams and limiting the power conferences to four teams and filling out with "at large" smaller conference teams. Still gives the smaller conferences a chance, but this crap of every DI conference having an automatic bid would be history and we would see a lot less 101-48 games. Will it happen? No way, $$$ talk and everything else walks, but I can still dream.JMO.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Hogstradamus

I like having some teams from the smaller conferences in the tourney.  Every year one of them teams make a run in the tournament.  March Madness wouldn't be as fun without the Cinderella teams.

Worst Records To Make NCAA Tournament

1961 George Washington 9-16
1997 Fairfield 11-18
1996 Central Florida 11-18
1995 Florida International 11-18
2005 Oakland 12-18
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."  -- Lou Holtz

"If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, then we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games." -- Paul Bear Bryant

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on March 08, 2005, 07:59:42 pm
It's the best tournament in all of sports.

Why mess with something that's near perfection already?  Plus I love seeing those darkhorse teams make a deep run in the tourney.

If only college football would get it's act together.  Now THAT would be the tournament to end all tournaments.  But alas, that is a topic for an entirely different time.
A FB tournament would work, if we dropped the ASU's and NTSU's of the world back to DI-AA where they belong. I do not hate ASU, but for the life of me I do not understand the pissing away of millions of dollars to play at level the are rarely competitive at. You could fill in the blanks with about fifty schools, not just ASU, but I fear it will continue until some athletic depts go belly up trying to stay at DI in football.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Lando Calrissian

Well, you let the top 8 or 16 teams play in the football tournament.

That leaves plenty of teams left to play in the Best Choice Canned Green Beans Bowl's of the world.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: hogband6 on March 08, 2005, 07:55:58 pm
Does anyone outside of me feel that the tourney could be much better if they actually took the top 64 (or 65) teams and not these small schools who win a small-time tourney?? I just watched Oakland beat ORU, and they were 11-?? in the Mid-Continent Conf. Give them a seed in the NIT or something. I can see any team in the SEC beating them easily. Just thought I'd see what you guys think about it.

I think the smaller conferences should keep their automatic qualifier because it does add some interest for those conferences and sometimes some interesting 1st round games with even an occasional upset.  But I think those conferences should stick with their regular season champs to put in their best team and get away from this conference tournament qualifier.  Just as you have mentioned, Oakland has no business in the NCAAT, but ORU probably at least deserved and earned a chance to get in.  Not now though... they will probably end up against the Hogs in the NIT.  That could be an interesting game in BWA.

bknight33

I agree with Anti-Otis.  As exciting as the conference tournaments are, ORU should be rewarded for their play throughout the season.

Calvin N Hawgs

If the limit was reduced to 48 like PorcineSublime said, then the NIT would be a much more important and prestigious tournament.

sooie dog

Quote from: Calvin N Hawgs on March 09, 2005, 10:24:30 am
If the limit was reduced to 48 like PorcineSublime said, then the NIT would be a much more important and prestigious tournament.

sarcasm

HighOnHogs

Every year I get excited about March Madness.  This is the first year in a long long time that I really just don't give a Shiite at all.  I think the Arkansas drought has taken its toll on my college basketball interest.   :-\

hawkeyefan17

If that was the case you would not have the Valparaiso vs. Mississippi games or Butler vs. Florida or Florida vs. Manhattan. I love the tournament the way it is.

I know Florida won that game over Butler a couple years ago but you get my point.

I am a sucker for drama in the tourney.

Oh, I forgot about Hampton over Iowa State....love that one.

idochog

My thoughts are its not nearly as fun w/o the Hogs in there.
I love Jesus!

Calvin N Hawgs

Quote from: HighOnHogs on March 09, 2005, 11:14:37 am
Every year I get excited about March Madness.  This is the first year in a long long time that I really just don't give a Shiite at all.  I think the Arkansas drought has taken its toll on my college basketball interest. :-\

Ditto. 
I remember bringing the TV's to work to watch the games because they were during the day.  That was cool.  The whole place would almost shut down while the Hogs were on.

Now it's like "who cares"...I suppose I'll root for the SEC teams.  This sucks!

Amityvillehogger

Remember when i was in junior high, teachers had no class all day long....

1st phase: talking pregame with all the coachs, and teachers...

2nd phase: watching the game, calling the hogs....

3rd phase: talking about who's butts the razorbacks just kicked.....

ahhhh....those were the days.... :-\
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

HighOnHogs

March 09, 2005, 12:34:05 pm #15 Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 12:49:36 pm by HighOnHogs
I'm in Houston but my old Boss knew what a big fan I was so he let me bring my little black and white 5" tv to the office and watch the Arkansas game.  Hell, sometimes he and I would leave and go watch it at a club.  He was always impressed with how big Arkansas would always win that first round game. Usually by the half the game was over. He was a Mizzou fan.

Macgyver_Hawg

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on March 09, 2005, 12:18:37 pm

I remember those days.  Teachers would fight with each other to see who'd get the tv in their class.  Of course there were those teachers that had class no matter what but nothing was enforced.  Couldn't be too big of a razorback scrooge when you were a teacher in Fayetteville. 

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on March 09, 2005, 12:18:37 pm

1st phase: talking pregame with all the coachs, and teachers...

2nd phase: watching the game, calling the hogs....

3rd phase: talking about who's butts the razorbacks just kicked.....

ahhhh....those were the days.... :-\

Then having a teacher who taught, even with a TV in her room.

That's when the old pocket radio with one earjack ran up a sleeve came into play.

gatecrasher

Quote from: hogband6 on March 08, 2005, 07:55:58 pm
Does anyone outside of me feel that the tourney could be much better if they actually took the top 64 (or 65) teams and not these small schools who win a small-time tourney?? I just watched Oakland beat ORU, and they were 11-?? in the Mid-Continent Conf. Give them a seed in the NIT or something. I can see any team in the SEC beating them easily. Just thought I'd see what you guys think about it.
Why do u think the NCAA Tournament is what it is?  Sooner or later a #16 is gonna topple a #1 seed, and a mid-major team will make it to the Final Four.  It's coming, people.