Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Was Calipari sending out a vibe????

Started by JadedHog, April 04, 2007, 08:04:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JadedHog

April 04, 2007, 08:04:31 pm Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 08:17:27 pm by JadedHog
Did you see Calipari on Rome's show talking about how great the Arkansas job is and kissing up to Chancellor White?  Was he sending out the vibe to come after me with more money?  I can't think of any other reason anyone would kiss up to John White.

Table Rocker

is there a video of this, i'd actually like to see the interview

bd93

Hummmmm, If he was sucking up to White then maybe..... but no it can't be, can it?

TNPIG

Quote from: JadedHog on April 04, 2007, 08:04:31 pm
Did you see Callapari on Rome's show talking about how great the Arkansas job is and kissing up to Chancellor White?  Was he sending out the vibe to come after me with more money?  I can't think of any other reason anyone would kiss up to John White.
We need to stay away from Calipari. Like Forrest City Joe says, he coaches the "thug program". Wait a minute, hey Joe, he might fit in pretty good at Arkansas now, huh.

HeathWimp

I think that Calipari was just being nice because he feels sorry for us.   Also, he is said to be a friend of Frank, so he is probably just trying to protect him.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

North hog

Well, he knows that we will pay more now!

ballhog™

Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Table Rocker

did he actually mention white by name?

Lanlord

Calapari?  That boat has already sailed.

Bad_Intentions

Thugs, gangsters, whatever. If he wins and we stay clean, I want him. Pay him whatever he needs.
WPS!!

JadedHog

yes he mentioned white by name.  he said how could anyone not want to coach at arkansas with a chancellor like john white.

Table Rocker

Quote from: JadedHog on April 04, 2007, 08:15:43 pm
yes he mentioned white by name.  he said how could anyone not want to coach at arkansas with a chancellor like john white.

perhaps sucking up to the man who is keeping him from getting the job????

ok sorry

booogaga

i wouldnt put too much into it. i dont see him leaving. he is one of these ego guys. most likely if he leaves it will be to a kentucky, kansas, north carolina or something. although i loved his comment on dick vitale. he said that he was the kind of guy that during WWII rooted for the germans. lol.
GO HOGS!

southern hawg

Memphis will be a pre-season top 5 team, I doubt he leaves.

booogaga

GO HOGS!

LowDownDirty

Either way, it's nice to hear somebody hiping up the job to the national media!

moses_007

Wouldn't it be wonderful that when all this comes out in the wash that our next coach might be one of the big guns we were after in the first place...BG or JC.  I would do a dance for sure. :razorback:

WMHawgfan

He is just doing it out as a courtesy to Frank. He stated before in another interview that he and Frank have been friends for a long time. He is just trying help us do some damage control and encourage someone to take the job.

sluhog

"Those text messages come at you so fast, it just messes you up."

HawgAlude

yeah he mentioned crean, barnes, floyd and a couple of others as possibles for the kentucky job ... Kentucky is the key -- their position fills then we could get their number 2 or 3 guy that would be better than Dana all day....

The real Hogules

John Calipari on Rome is Burning stated that Arkansas was one of top 10-15 basketball programs in the entire nation and he couldn't believe that coaches weren't jumping all over this job.
He went on to say that John White was a great man to work for (called White by name) and just gushed about the UofA basketball position.

If I hadn't seen and heard it with my own eyes and ears I wouldn't have believed it.

From the way he was talking he would accept the job in a heartbeat "IF" the money was straight.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

SLC

I am not holding my breath for anyone.  Here is how I am going to view coaches who are mentioned with the position.  If I think the coach would do a great job, I am confident we will not get that coach.  If it is a coach I know very little about, who is unexciting, I am putting my money on that candidate.  I agree that we will have more options after the KY position is filled.  
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

HogSophist

Yeah, we should go after him hard.....so he can get a fat raise from memphis. He has watched it work for a couple of others so far, why not run the same game at our esteemed university.... :-X :-X :-X :-X
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

LuckyGiraffe

Yeah... where is ForrestCityJoe.  I would like for him to explain the difference between that "thugish" program "across the river" and the one on the hill???

GorillaJMonsoon

dont think he was sucking up, he was just trying to say something positive about us.  dont bite his head off for it.  he could have been justified in saying much worse but didnt.  what exactly did you want him to say when asked about it?

boilerhog

His earlier quote about the Arkansas job was "Whoever is offered that job would have to be out of their mind to not take it....But it's just not the right time for me."  

He's not coming, so don't get your hopes up..Maybe he just wants to keep his future options open in Fayetteville...

Dwight_K_Shrute

Cal isn't coming until we get a place that serves a decent Italian beef sandwich or at least sausage and peppers.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

CheeZ_PuFF

Quote from: SLC on April 04, 2007, 08:55:21 pm
I am not holding my breath for anyone.  Here is how I am going to view coaches who are mentioned with the position.  If I think the coach would do a great job, I am confident we will not get that coach.  If it is a coach I know very little about, who is unexciting, I am putting my money on that candidate.  I agree that we will have more options after the KY position is filled. 

You took the words out of my mouth. Good post!

"so you're telling me there's a chance." - Lloyd Christmas.

JadedHog

Quote from: GorillaJMonsoon on April 04, 2007, 08:57:09 pm
dont think he was sucking up, he was just trying to say something positive about us.  dont bite his head off for it.  he could have been justified in saying much worse but didnt.  what exactly did you want him to say when asked about it?

i would expect him to say something nice about our program but he went WAY overboard on his comments about white.  he was kissing up...........smooch smooch

razorbackmkh

Quote from: southern hawg on April 04, 2007, 08:22:26 pm
Memphis will be a pre-season top 5 team, I doubt he leaves.
We're a pre-season top 15 team on many sites without a coach. A decent coach + the current players = at least a top 10 team.
Every time I see a grown man in a backwards hat I want to b***h slap Trooper Taylor.

TorsinAHog

Calamari WILL NOT COME HERE. He has a great team next year and Memphis can be a top program with him.  Look where we got our players when we were a factor.  I think he was being nice. Im not really sure what to do since I cant stand the man but he was saying nice things about UA.  I am writing it off as pity factor.
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

Hogaloogie

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 04, 2007, 09:00:46 pm
Cal isn't coming until we get a place that serves a decent Italian beef sandwich or at least sausage and peppers.

I got news for you, they don't have that in Memfo either. Not unless Mr. Beef has opened a location down there.

Ugly Uncle

Any of you guys eat out at Tontitown? (sp?)

They have some VERY good places out there.
Retired Radio Host

hulk hog

The advantage we do have is that Conference USA is crap, even worse than what UNLV had in the early 90's. They were the only team in the tourney. Everything is done through non-conference for them. And honestly Memphis is not a good sports city.  We would give him a better stage, top conference...Kentucky, Florida every year.....remote chance at best though he is a big city guy. He is short term guy anywhere.
But Rodriguez was a done deal to Alabama, changed his mind then Sabin did a 180.   Maybe that could happen here...
Once Kentucky is filled we'll see where the chips fall. 
paid for by the NHO... the NewHogOrder.....

HawgAlude

He would win a National Championship here. Cal here recruits memphis with texas/ okla doors to all the best juco players. Remind anybody of something -- it was the same formula Nolan used in 1992-1996.....

TorsinAHog

Since he wont come you all will likely be dissatisfied with our new coach. 
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

HawgAlude

Naw-- I really am not a Cal fan. Nolan use to smoke him back in the day... We need a great coach fast....

stats33

Quote from: HawgAlude on April 04, 2007, 09:35:47 pm
Naw-- I really am not a Cal fan. Nolan use to smoke him back in the day... We need a great coach fast....
False.Cal beat Nolan everytime they went head to head..........see Lou Roe, Marcus Camby, Edgar Padilla et al.

golfjam

i think it's great he said something nice about us.....i live over in Coach Cal Land....great recruiter.....not a great coach.....BUT.....depending on what players go pro this year.....Memphis should be a final 4 next year with a good chance to win it all....and it hurts me to say that....
golf
It's Evolution Baby!

The real Hogules

Think what you want, but sources close to the UofA have said that THIS TIME money will not be an issue in getting their man.

If we get into a bidding war with Memphis, we'll blow their butt out of the ballpark very quickly.
Memphis is paying about as much as they are willing/can afford to pay their basketball coach.

There comes a point where memphis will have to blink and "IF" Arkansas is willing to go beyond that point, Calipari is ours for the taking, IMHO.

I don't think that the university/PTB's want to end up with egg on their collective faces when this is all finished, so I look for them to throw money at the problem in much the same manner that Bama did in football.

The PTB's will attempt to buy respectability and we'll just have to wait and see if it works.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

jtownfan

Cal would fit in great at the bbhc position. We already have his thugs lined up. Not to mention he is a money hound and there is no way he is being considered for KY position. Im not sayin it will happen but dont be surprised if it does. Frank might have one more trick up his sleeve before hes gone. And whoever mentioned North Carolina is off their rocker!!!! I like the commit about the egg in the face, was that from Wallys article this morning

woghild

I listened to his interview on Rome's radio show that ends before he does
his TV show...a long conversation with Calipari on all kinds of subjects,
including all of the current openings, but absolutely not one single word
was said by either one in all of it about us.   Then channel 7 tonight
aired the part about us from his TV show.  I was very surprised we
didn't come up on the radio show.  In his radio interview he did not
sound interested in any of the other well-publicized openings.

I definitely got the impression he was not interested in going anywhere.

But I'd give anything if he would come with the hogs.  Anybody who's
that good is going to be cocky.  That is NOT a drawback.

razorbacker80

To heck with the search committee.  Pull up in front of JCs place with the Brinks truck and put this unpleasantness behind us. 

dmac_iz_kin

Poster, you might be right.  We need to go ahead and do what bama did in football and just Pay an astronimical fee that he'd be a fool to walk away from.
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

jjones

another take on Calipari could be the fact that he is 48 years old and perhaps is looking into other career moves.  We do have an AD position available next spring.  High praise sometimes comes with a motive.

dmac_iz_kin

Quote from: jjones on April 04, 2007, 11:07:34 pm
another take on Calipari could be the fact that he is 48 years old and perhaps is looking into other career moves.  We do have an AD position available next spring.  High praise sometimes comes with a motive.

thats a damn good idea bro, tell cal to come on up, and offer a chance to get AD in a few years.  We can always have him coaching Vicariously through the BBall coaches like Broyles always did NUTT and probabally others
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

Blue35

Calipari is patronizing White and Broyles to keep his options open.

dmac_iz_kin

I do wonder if Calipari put that whole interview thing together for his own agenda, He was on Romes radio show too. I'm sure that AR question Rome asked originally came out of Cals mouth. Rome cares nothing about talking about AR.

jjones

Memphis sources say that Cal makes around 1.3m a year with incentives up to 2m.  This was prior to his 1-year extension through 2011-2012 season.  Get close to a 2.5m offer, possible consideration.  Make sure he signs the papers prior to calling the Hogs!