Started by jhudson84, April 02, 2007, 02:37:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jhudson84

Coach K (Army to Duke) Record @ Army- 73-59

John Thompson III (Princeton to GT) Record @ Princeton- 68-42

Billy Donovan (Marshall to Florida) Record @ Marshall- 35-20

Ben Howland (N. Az, Pitt to UCLA) Record- 168-99

BigArkyintheRock

Did you just compare Altman to those coaches?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! I thought sunshine Rick was good, but man oh man, that takes the cake!
And in the 10th year, the Razorback faithful finally fired Houston Dale Nutt! Preach this, brotha!

If you want to eliminate the mental mistake - FIRE HDN! WPS!

PigWig

I hope he will live up to the reputation of any of the above named coaches.

jhudson84

Didnt compare Altman to anyone....when UCLA hired Howland do you think they had a bunch of pansies crying........OMG I cant believe he lost to Weber St. while at NAU in 93......

Hog_Beatz

Now post the MM coaches that didn't succeed at the next level.  That might be a little more telling.  Anyhow, I'm willing to give Altman a chance.  He's gotta mess it up before I will say anything, and until then (and hopefully that time never comes around) I'll be on his side, after all he is our coach.

razorpimp

HEY...quit reminding the majority of the posters on this board that there is hope for the basketball program.  They would rather 'waller' in self pity and anger.....

mayjumpoffwagon

Quote from: jhudson84 on April 02, 2007, 02:37:17 pm
Coach K (Army to Duke) Record @ Army- 73-59

John Thompson III (Princeton to GT) Record @ Princeton- 68-42

Billy Donovan (Marshall to Florida) Record @ Marshall- 35-20

Ben Howland (N. Az, Pitt to UCLA) Record- 168-99

nice examples, but these are exceptions to the rule---not the rule.
could go on and on about other hires that continued their mediocre ways, but let's just hope that we fall into the above category and find the diamond in the rough.

jhudson84

Quote from: PigWig on April 02, 2007, 02:39:36 pm
I hope he will live up to the reputation of any of the above named coaches.

Few do....just saying got to come from somewhere and even if unsuccessful at first you can still go on to become the best at your position.

SPAL

Quote from: BigArkyintheRock on April 02, 2007, 02:38:44 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! I thought sunshine Rick was good, but man oh man, that takes the cake!

in comparing the fact that those great coaches were nobodies with average records when they were hired to their present day jobs, it is a very accurate comparison. What is your problem?...im compiling a very good list of those on ignore today.

jamie72921

Those were pitiful programs BEFORE they hired those guys too.

Duke stunk when K got there.

Georgetown stunk.

Florida is Billy Donovan.

Pitt has stepped up, but wasn't a prime job at the time either.

Our job at this time, doesn't compare to the ones you mention at the times of those hires.
Bless your heart

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

IllmaticRackit

What takes the cake is your intelligence and understanding of the post.
"If you have hate in your heart, let it out."

-Chappelle

Bring Back Heath

Sweet comparing Altman to Coach K

Realistic too

jhudson84

Quote from: jamie72921 on April 02, 2007, 02:41:56 pm

Georgetown stunk.

Our job at this time, doesn't compare to the ones you mention at the times of those hires.

We stink so whats the point, and if you say we dont stink then why is there so much crying and whining on here.

bigbrutha

Quote from: IllmaticRackit on April 02, 2007, 02:43:08 pm

What takes the cake is your intelligence and understanding of the post.

+1

darth sooie

There is a huge difference, all of those coaches were young and  at their first job learning the ropes.  Altman has 19 years head coaching experience under his belt, probably not evolving much more, so he would probably deliver what he has done, OK but not cutting down the nets.

SPAL

Quote from: Bring Back Heath on April 02, 2007, 02:44:27 pm

Realistic too

are you stupid or just not grasp things well?...was your mother a crackhead when you were in the womb?

tobs54

Nice point, but it won't be welcomed by many.  Thanks for the comparisons and the research.

coachp

Quote from: jhudson84 on April 02, 2007, 02:39:54 pm
Didnt compare Altman to anyone....when UCLA hired Howland do you think they had a bunch of pansies crying........OMG I cant believe he lost to Weber St. while at NAU in 93......
He wwas big time at Pitt though.

Man_O_Pork

Quote from: Hog_Beatz on April 02, 2007, 02:40:00 pm
Now post the MM coaches that didn't succeed at the next level.  That might be a little more telling.  Anyhow, I'm willing to give Altman a chance.  He's gotta mess it up before I will say anything, and until then (and hopefully that time never comes around) I'll be on his side, after all he is our coach.

Agreed!

Biggus Piggus

How many NCAAT games had Nolan won prior to getting the Arkansas job?

What had Pitino done prior to getting the Kentucky job?

What was Donovan's bright spot on his resume before Florida?

How about Tom Izzo, Jim Calhoun, Jim Boeheim?
[CENSORED]!

Lokirain

Quote from: darth sooie on April 02, 2007, 02:45:48 pm
There is a huge difference, all of those coaches were young and  at their first job learning the ropes.  Altman has 19 years head coaching experience under his belt, probably not evolving much more, so he would probably deliver what he has done, OK but not cutting down the nets.

I agree, Altman's star was on the decline. Kansas State already proved he's not ready for the big leagues.

BigArkyintheRock

Putting up a list of those coaches, IMO, is trying to link by way of comparison those hires to the current one that JFb has put us all in. Those coaches are THE exception to the rule. makes for a nice smoke n mirror play but that dog won't hunt.

So, since those coaches were successful, Altman will also be successful, and thus, he is a great hire, yadda, yadda, yadda...ZZZZZZZZZ...heard that one before...we all have.

Altman may be a good coach in the Mediocre Valley Conference (for many years!!), but golly, he is no Coach K and never will be. I don't care how you slice it, or spin it, he is not at that level, and he will NOT take us to that level. Period.

Get real.
And in the 10th year, the Razorback faithful finally fired Houston Dale Nutt! Preach this, brotha!

Biggus Piggus

Point is by the standards of the geniuses on this board, none of these guys would have been hired.
[CENSORED]!

GorillaJMonsoon

April 02, 2007, 02:49:52 pm #26 Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 03:02:13 pm by GorillaJMonsoon
OK, Altman might come in and do good things, but then again, maybe not.  My whole gripe is that we were supposed to get a big name, proven at this level (not MVC) to come in and excite the fanbase and to keep the players that we already have. 
What we have been given is a coach that has had success at a lower level, but isn't a big name and doesn't really ignite the fanbase any more than Heath did.  There is still much division in the fanbase, this hire hasn't done anything to solve that.  There is no assurance that Altman can keep Beverly or others. 

I don't see this as being anywhere near the Grand Slam that was mentioned earlier.  It seems more like a single that we got while the shortstop bobbled the ball.  I hope like hell we can steal second.

To me, I would rather have Heath be allowed to coach this team he has built next year than to dismantle it for a new guy who will take a couple years to get his players in.  Right when Heath was hitting his stride he got shitcanned.  I bet next year we would have been winning under Heath and putting more butts in the seats. 

bigbrutha

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 02, 2007, 02:49:45 pm
Point is by the standards of the geniuses on this board, none of these guys would have been hired.

"BigArky you're fired!"

inhognation

Georgetown stunk.

Duke had been to the Final Four before Coach K

Georgetown has been to several final Fours and won one Championship in the late 80's

We have been in the tourney 3 times without a win since 1998.  I think it is a fair comparison. 

DA has been to the NCAA 7 times in past 9 years.  NIT in the other two. 9 straight 20 win years.

Look at our record over that same period.  I don't think the post is comparing Altman to those coaches, as much as it is to point out the situation and that mid major coaches can coach in the big conferences. 

Let's face it BG, BS, JC, were not knocking down the door to come to Arkansas.  Let's at least give the guy three or four years to see what he can do. 

BigArkyintheRock

April 02, 2007, 02:52:33 pm #29 Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 02:54:54 pm by BigArkyintheRock
How old do you think Altman is brotha?

Do your research and give us the ages of all the coaches when they were hired by those teams.

I think you'll find some apples and oranges in your search.

IllmaticRackit

Quote from: BigArkyintheRock on April 02, 2007, 02:52:33 pm
How old do you think Altman is bortha?

Do your research and give us the ages of all the coaches when they were hired by those teams.

I think he may find that nobody really knows how DA is gonna do.  DA is our coach and I support him till he/team proves otherwise. 

-Chappelle

BigArkyintheRock

Quote from: IllmaticRackit on April 02, 2007, 02:54:23 pm

I think he may find that nobody really knows how DA is gonna do.  DA is our coach and I support him till he/team proves otherwise. 
Hey, no kidding. Yah, I hope he is a huge success and gets us back to the national level that we once were. I just think it sucks big time that we were unable to land a big name coach. IMO, our basketball program deserved better. Obviously, Altman was not even near the top of the list. We settled for what, our 4th or 5th choice? We could have and should have done better...JFB that is.

Kinda sad when we have to try and pull rabbits out of the hat to make this new hire look something other than bad.

pigsooiec5

Duke --  The coach prior to Coach K lead the Blue Devils to 2 ACC titles and a were national runners up in the Final Four.  In the 1960s, Duke won the ACC four times.

Florida -- Two years before they hired Billy D they were in the Final Four.

Georgetown and Pitt were pretty bad, but they weren't the absolute garbage of their conferences, either.  Georgetown's reputation as a basketball school exceeds that of Arkansas.  I'm sure there will be some that deny it, but ask anyone outside of the state of Arkansas and they will acknowledge Georgetown as a much more prestigious basketball school than Arkansas.  Learn some history before you make obviously false statements like the ones above...

Hog in MO

Georgetown stunk.

Face it, we are barely holding onto relevance in the college basketball world.  The first step is admitting you have a problem. 

"Hello, our name is Arkansas and we aren't very good anymore"

We cannot hire:  Self, Floyd, Gillispie, Calipari or Pitino.  All of those coaches are in better jobs than ours currently is - except Gillispie, but he's just a slimeball who was only using us for more cash from A&M while he waits on KY.  I don't believe he ever had any real interest in us.  Frank's delusion of grandeur got the best of him in this case.

It took me a while to finally admit it, but we are not a top program anymore.  Everyone step away from your 1994 & 1995 Final Four programs and turn off the continuous loop of Scotty Thurman's "shot".  We have a good coach now.  If you don't believe that, at least give him a chance to prove it to you. 

hog.goblin

April 02, 2007, 03:00:06 pm #34 Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 03:03:03 pm by hog.goblin
Quote from: GorillaJMonsoon on April 02, 2007, 02:49:52 pm
OK, Altman might come in and do good things, but then again, maybe not.  My whole gripe is that we were supposed to get a big name, proven at this level (not MVC) to come in and excite the fanbase and to keep the players that we already have. 
What we have been given is a coach that has had success at a lower level, but isn't a big name and doesn't really ignite the fanbase any more than Heath did.  There is still much division in the fanbase, this hire hasn't done anything to solve that.  There is no assurance that Altman can keep Beverly or others. 

I don't see this as being anywhere near the Grand Slam that was mentioned earlier.  It seems more like a single that we got while the shortstop bobbled the ball.  I hope like hell we can steal second.

It was a swinging "bunt" and the third baseman was playing deep.  We beat the throw at first.  I am hoping the throw is high and we can steal second...but I can't see us bringing home the NC anytime in the foreseeable future.

He has my support, just not my enthusiasm yet.

ICEman

I question Altman's style of play moreso than his WL record.  His 67 ppg avg in the Missouri Valley does not sound like an exciting brand of basketball.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

BigArkyintheRock

Stan II? I thought we all didn't want Stan II?

IllmaticRackit

Quote from: BigArkyintheRock on April 02, 2007, 02:58:21 pm

Hey, no kidding. Yah, I hope he is a huge success and gets us back to the national level that we once were. I just think it sucks big time that we were unable to land a big name coach. IMO, our basketball program deserved better. Obviously, Altman was not even near the top of the list. We settled for what, our 4th or 5th choice? We could have and should have done better...JFB that is.

Kinda sad when we have to try and pull rabbits out of the hat to make this new hire look something other than bad.

I think that is the reason behind the original post.

-Chappelle

BigArkyintheRock

Quote from: IllmaticRackit on April 02, 2007, 03:01:34 pm
Quote from: BigArkyintheRock on April 02, 2007, 02:58:21 pm

I think that is the reason behind the original post.
I disagree with the original post...the perception it creates IMO, is misleading.

Take for example, the reference to coach Ben Howland...wasn't he the 2002 National Coach of the Year at Pitt BEFORE UCLA hired him??

pfrg999

Quote from: Bring Back Heath on April 02, 2007, 02:44:27 pm

Realistic too

Bring back Heath..... Ohh Heck... Why... Tell me Why... was it the 7-33 on the road in the SEC...
Or the lack of intensity by all of his teams?

Bring Back Heath.... A mediocre post for a mediocre Coach... I wish him well... But he did not fit at Arkansas
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

jamie72921

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 02, 2007, 02:48:28 pm
How many NCAAT games had Nolan won prior to getting the Arkansas job?

What had Pitino done prior to getting the Kentucky job?

What was Donovan's bright spot on his resume before Florida?

How about Tom Izzo, Jim Calhoun, Jim Boeheim?

Pitino had already been to the final four with Providence and taken the Knicks to the playoffs.
Bless your heart

jamie72921

Quote from: inhognation on April 02, 2007, 02:52:32 pm

Georgetown stunk.

Duke had been to the Final Four before Coach K

Georgetown has been to several final Fours and won one Championship in the late 80's

We have been in the tourney 3 times without a win since 1998.  I think it is a fair comparison. 

DA has been to the NCAA 7 times in past 9 years.  NIT in the other two. 9 straight 20 win years.

Look at our record over that same period.  I don't think the post is comparing Altman to those coaches, as much as it is to point out the situation and that mid major coaches can coach in the big conferences. 

Let's face it BG, BS, JC, were not knocking down the door to come to Arkansas.  Let's at least give the guy three or four years to see what he can do. 

Georgetown's 2 final fours with one team in the 80s trumps 6 final fours, 3 of which came after Georgetown's?

This is a prime example of the poor little ole Arkansas bs so many of you who do not know your history spew around here.

We proved in the 90s that we have what it takes to be a powerhouse in basketball.

The current administration will not step up these days because they are chicken pluckers.
Bless your heart