Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs 'Blitzing' Calapari?

Started by MartHog, March 31, 2007, 03:01:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MartHog

Been contacted by several Memphis boosters this morning in a panic over Calapari going to Arkansas for $2.5 million/year and bringing Derek Rose with him.

This has to be classified a rumor, and there may be nothing but Memphis panic to it, but that is what I have heard none-the-less.  This is based on personal contacts, not other board messages.

For what it is worth....
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."

TEXAS=Orange.  Tennessee=Orange.  TEXAS=Tennessee.  And I wouldn't root for TEXAS if they were playing the fricking Taliban.  So I guess that means I wouldn't root for the Vols either.  Or the fricking Rebels.  Hell, I hate 'em all.

ark30inf

Does "blitzing" mean finding his phone number and leaving a mumbling sound on his answering machine?

Houston h

Wow, and what do all those Coach Cal haters have to say about that?  I for one would love it, talk about a high profile guy with coaching ability, NBA credentials and a hell of a recruiter.  If the Arkansas faithful can get over the Cal dis of a few years ago, then I we will all be fine.  Look at what this guy has done in Memphis in just a few years!  He is a players coach, a great ambassador for the UofM and a very nice guy! 

HogFan1973

so we offered BG 2 million a year, and instead he will stay at A&M for significantly less, and then we turned around and offered Calapari 2.5 million?  I don't buy it.

HIRE GRANT

FIRE NUTT

HoopS

I have no sources or inside info, but a guy was claiming basically the same thing earlier.  He had some pretty good sources in that area.   Who knows?

Arkiebrian

Calipari was my choice when this all began...I never thought we could get him.

ark30inf

Quote from: Houston hater on March 31, 2007, 03:06:00 pm
Wow, and what do all those Coach Cal haters have to say about that?  I for one would love it, talk about a high profile guy with coaching ability, NBA credentials and a hell of a recruiter.  If the Arkansas faithful can get over the Cal dis of a few years ago, then I we will all be fine.  Look at what this guy has done in Memphis in just a few years!  He is a players coach, a great ambassador for the UofM and a very nice guy! 

To be honest, I don't care if he can call the Hogs.  I don't care if I like him. I don't care if he likes me. I don't care if he's an ass.  The two requirements are that he win, and that he not ever be an embarassment to state or university. 

Win.
Don't embarass.

If he can fulfill that then come on down.

Lanlord

Memphis is a BB school.  Can't see him leaving.  He'll be able to get a high seed in the tourney each year and he has had a good recruiting class coming.

EwithaC

Quote from: ark30inf on March 31, 2007, 03:08:14 pm

To be honest, I don't care if he can call the Hogs.  I don't care if I like him. I don't care if he likes me. I don't care if he's an ass.  The two requirements are that he win, and that he not ever be an embarassment to state or university. 

Win.
Don't embarass.

If he can fulfill that then come on down.
My thots also

forrest city joe

Quote from: MartHog on March 31, 2007, 03:01:34 pm
Been contacted by several Memphis boosters this morning in a panic over Calapari going to Arkansas for $2.5 million/year and bringing Derek Rose with him.

This has to be classified a rumor, and there may be nothing but Memphis panic to it, but that is what I have heard none-the-less.  This is based on personal contacts, not other board messages.

For what it is worth....
Here in eastern arkansas, Cal coming to arkansas is a joke. first off, i dont want that thug here. second, he will never come here. these tiger high boosters are just picking on you my man. don't fall for it.

HogFan1973

Quote from: Lanlord on March 31, 2007, 03:08:25 pm
Memphis is a BB school.  Can't see him leaving.  He'll be able to get a high seed in the tourney each year and he has had a good recruiting class coming.

I can see him coming here.....Conference USA to SEC....I would think that would be a good step up for him.

discombobulationist

Love Calipari, but don't think there's any way in hell he'd come here.
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pmISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Air It Out Gus on March 31, 2007, 03:10:42 pm
Quote from: Lanlord on March 31, 2007, 03:08:25 pm
Memphis is a BB school.  Can't see him leaving.  He'll be able to get a high seed in the tourney each year and he has had a good recruiting class coming.

I can see him coming here.....Conference USA to SEC....I would think that would be a good step up for him.
NO way. take my word on this one. this has no chance of happening. nor should it.

Ugly Uncle

Truth is we are only offering Cal 1.5 million.  But giving him the extra million to pay Rose so Cal can keep his promise to pay Rose.

Kidding.

If Cal is coming so are sanctions...in my opinion.
Retired Radio Host

hoginator

No matter how the question is phrased it will have the same answer.
"Do you (Calipari) want Arkansas?" or "Do you want Calipari at Arkansas?"

NO!
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

bender

I live in Memphis! My brother-in-law is an accountant at Memphis University and a big Tiger fan as much as I am a razorback fan...the rumors are true, Razorbacks have talked to Coach Cal. I would love to steal his coach!

forrest city joe

It's not true. thats all i have to say about it.

SpineHog

Montgomery might be more of a bargain for the quality of coach we'd get, but Calapari would be a much better long-term solution.  if we really shelled out that 2.5, i can't imagine him peacing out to anything better, except maybe the NBA.

and let's face it... we kinda deserved that shot he took at us.  he just called it how he saw it.

Adram

Quote from: ark30inf on March 31, 2007, 03:03:21 pm
Does "blitzing" mean finding his phone number and leaving a mumbling sound on his answering machine?

i just wanted to say that this was really funny. 

and probably true.

rude1

Forget it, he is in a hotbed recruiting area, he is in a conference that he can dominate and win about every year. He will because of the weak conference  enter march madness with a good record, meaning a good seeding in the tourney. Add to that, the fact that Memphis will probably match whatever offer is thrown at him, and you can see that it will be next to impossible to get him here.

Jim

If true, would he push to get Memphis on the schedule or would they remain a team not worth playing?  Or wait...was it the other way around? ;)

Hey, at this point, I wouldn't care.  We acted hastily, thinking we had BG in hand.  I'd think a hire of Cal would give us a few extra shreds of dignity we seem to continually lose in the nat'l media.

Bring him on but do it quickly and finish the "close"!

Houston h

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 31, 2007, 03:13:32 pm
It's not true. thats all i have to say about it.
Joe I've gone round and round with you on Coach Cal before, why do you hate the guy so much?

Kevin

he did this dance with nc state last year. got more money out of memphis. i would think that he is trying to do it again
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ishankem

Boy, I would love it.  he definitely would be a "big name" coach. But, I'm afraid I would break my false teeth when they hit the floor if it happened.

Houston h

Quote from: rude1 on March 31, 2007, 03:16:41 pm
Forget it, he is in a hotbed recruiting area, he is in a conference that he can dominate and win about every year. He will because of the weak conference  enter march madness with a good record, meaning a good seeding in the tourney. Add to that, the fact that Memphis will probably match whatever offer is thrown at him, and you can see that it will be next to impossible to get him here.
Memphis can't match Arkansas money, I know that for fact!  I live here in Memphis and there are people already up in arms that he is getting 1.8 million a year. 

LuckyGiraffe

Being a Memphian, I have to say, I thought when Memphis hired Cal he was a loser and a jerk, but really he is just that way with the media.  He has drastically increased the graduation rate of his players at Memphis, amazing on the recruiting front, and wins.  He has done nothing at Memphis to even warrant the NCAA sniffing around.  He would be a good choice if fans can get over the remarks about the program 4 or 5 years ago.  He plays the right tempo for the fans, and he is great at raising money.

SpineHog

maybe he's ready for a step up to a better conference.  driven coaches often want to know if they can really compete at the highest levels.  and it's not like memphis is far from arkansas.  he could just as easily tap that (cough) for arkansas.

not sayin' is terribly likely (>2mil sounds wrong, given our attempt to low-ball BG).  just that it wouldn't be that bad of a move for him.

CalHog

Quote from: somewherenorth on March 31, 2007, 03:13:38 pm
Montgomery might be more of a bargain for the quality of coach we'd get, but Calapari would be a much better long-term solution.  if we really shelled out that 2.5, i can't imagine him peacing out to anything better, except maybe the NBA.

and let's face it... we kinda deserved that shot he took at us.  he just called it how he saw it.

That's all I have against him.  He is absolutely one of the very best.

LuckyGiraffe

Quote from: Houston hater on March 31, 2007, 03:19:38 pm
Memphis can't match Arkansas money, I know that for fact!  I live here in Memphis and there are people already up in arms that he is getting 1.8 million a year. 

Memphis' problem will be "can they afford to let him go?"  He brings in sooo much of that program's money.  Memphis will really have to have the 3 big boosters step up to raise his salary somewhere near 2.5 I think to keep him this year or next.

forrest city joe

Guys don't you see what is happening? a few tiger high boosters want to be able to say their thug coach turned down arkansas too. there is nothing to this folks. and we ever need someone like this man in our program.im telling you, there are so terrible things going on across the river at tiger high.

Hollywood_HOGan

dont like coach cal but he wins

if he wants to come, bring it on

U.P. HOGG

I dont care if its Cal either, I just want to win baby!!!  WPS!!

Houston h

Quote from: hawgfan923 on March 31, 2007, 03:19:57 pm
Being a Memphian, I have to say, I thought when Memphis hired Cal he was a loser and a jerk, but really he is just that way with the media.  He has drastically increased the graduation rate of his players at Memphis, amazing on the recruiting front, and wins.  He has done nothing at Memphis to even warrant the NCAA sniffing around.  He would be a good choice if fans can get over the remarks about the program 4 or 5 years ago.  He plays the right tempo for the fans, and he is great at raising money.
The remarks you are referring to were warranted and they weren't meant to be detrimental to the UofA.  He was under pressure to make his program a national program, which meant he needed to play teams all over the country but Memphis had been tied for years to Ole Mrs, UT and Arkansas.  Arkansas was the logical choice to drop at the time.  UT is an in state rival, Ole Mrs is right next door to Memphis and Arkansas' program was in a down cycle.
If Frank can pull this one off, my hat goes off to the old man!

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 31, 2007, 03:22:44 pm
                            Guys don't you see what is happening? a few tiger high boosters want to be able to say their thug coach turned down arkansas too. there is nothing to this folks. and we ever need someone like this man in our program.im telling you, there are so terrible things going on across the river at tiger high.

i agree
nothing but more rumors

Id kinda like to have him but he's said some pretty bad things  about arkansas

LuckyGiraffe

That is proof you don't know much about the program.

LuckyGiraffe

Why do you call him a thug??? I can think of a lot of other things, but not thug???

IcEwalker

i dont see Calapari wanting to leave Memphis for Arkansas. seems like a backwards move for him.

Houston h

Joe you always talk about the terrible things going on over here!  What things are you referring to?  I live here and don't see anything terrible happening.  The kids on his team are great kids, the stay out of trouble, they graduate!  What terrible things?  His players love playing for him!  Why this hatred of Cal?

LuckyGiraffe

Joe is the only one "blitzing" Calapari

pigture perfect

Houston would love for Cal Capone to be our next BBHC. Talk about adding to the Crime family.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

forrest city joe

Quote from: hawgfan923 on March 31, 2007, 03:19:57 pm
Are you kidding me? there is so much smoke there that it's unreal the Ncaa has not taken a look.from Shawn williams, to Rented cars to mink's. do not bring this man here no matter what.

ORLANDOHOG

OTB SHUT THE HELL YOU KNOW NOTHING!!!

BigDeal

There may not be anything to it, but I am confident these rumors did not start from any of the larger Memphis boosters.  Not the kind of thing they want to deal with on a whim during the weekend, especially after signing Cal to an extension recently.

WMHawgfan

We are being had. Word has gotten out about how foolish we looked on this board over the BCG rumors. Now others are starting to make rediculous rumors just so they can laugh at us giving them credence. Don't fall for these rumors, they are rediculous.

LuckyGiraffe

The Shawne Williams deal had absolutely nothing to do with Cal.  Now you are just throwing crap out there trying to get people riled up.

hawgtime

i think he would be an improvement

go hogs

MTPAWR

You guys can speculate about Cal all you want, but heres a dose of reality.

Cals Sophs have won 66 games the past two seasons, and gone to back to back elite eights.

Memphis had one junior this past season, Joey Dorsey. Cal has the top PG in the nation coming to Memphis next year, Derrick "Pooh" Rose, who happens to be the NBA draft net projected #1  pick for 2008.  

Cal wants to win a National Championship and he has worked hard to build "His" Memphis program. Cal may leave Memphis at some time in the future, but it is highly unlikely that Cal walks away from Memphis within the next two seasons.

Money is not a factor with Cal right now. Cal needs money like he needs speech lessons. FWIW Cal is paid quite well at Memphis, minus the pressures of say a Kentucky or Arkansas.

Cal and the Tigers have their hearts and minds set on  National Championship at Memphis, possibly even back to backs. Dont expect Cal to walk away from Memphis right now. The Tigers are loaded.

forrest city joe

There is nothing to this.PERIOD! and that's good news. let them keep this thug in Memphis.

LuckyGiraffe

I agree... but Derrick Rose on the Hogs with Cal's style of play and you could be looking at a Final Four team also.