Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does anyone really still want Billy Clyde?

Started by V, March 30, 2007, 09:07:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

V

March 30, 2007, 09:07:32 pm Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 09:52:27 am by V
after he lead UA on, has spurned A&M, has his eyes on Kentucky, then likely would consider Florida. If that doesn't work out he would love to coach the Razorbacks...LOL

SCRX95

Would you still say the same if he signs up with UA?

Razorwho

In all honesty, his style of play is not my favorite.  I would have rather had Floyd from the beginning.  I just don't like the fact that we can't get who we want. 

cselby72

CSTV reporting that BG has sighned a $500,000 raise to stay in Aggie land.

Table Rocker

Quote from: cselby72 on March 30, 2007, 09:14:06 pm
CSTV reporting that BG has sighned a $500,000 raise to stay in Aggie land.

he signs raises so fast it just messes you up.

AstroHawg

HoopS

I don't know.   On one hand, he's a good coach.  On the other, who's to say he won't jump in 3 years.   So far, he's never been anywhere very long.   And then again, how much have we actually even talked to him?   Seems BB has been running intereference the whole time.  I don't know. 

BRC0180

Only people that recognize how this game should really be played/coached.

BRC0180

Quote from: Razorwho on March 30, 2007, 09:11:33 pm
In all honesty, his style of play is not my favorite.  I would have rather had Floyd from the beginning.  I just don't like the fact that we can't get who we want. 

So tell me how his style and Floyds is really different.  I am really interested to hear your analysis.

moses_007

I think Floyd and BG's styles of basketball are very similar. 

hog4ever

V

i would embrace him as coach knowing that he wouldn't be long in Fayetteville. That's not who I want.

BRC0180

Quote from: moses_007 on March 30, 2007, 09:21:32 pm
I think Floyd and BG's styles of basketball are very similar. 

SSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!  Be berry, berry quiet.  Let Razorwho answer this.  Good answer though.

jmark

I like that his practice courts are padded.  Makes practices harder than the games. 

I like BCG for our coach. 

I don't like not being able to get our man too. 
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

JusPiggin

nope  hes just a WHITE version of the boring style of play that STALE heath had

V

as far as style of play, I miss 40MOH where you can just plug in athletes that can run jump and think. You don't have to have the McDonald's AA's to win. Then when you have success, good shooters/players want to come aboard and then you are tough to beat. i miss it personally. It is who we were, that's what made us so exciting to watch.

BRC0180

Quote from: JusPiggin on March 30, 2007, 09:25:40 pm
nope  hes just a WHITE version of the boring style of play that STALE heath had

Wrong.

BCG team's play with great effort/intensity.  You never could accuse SH's teams of that.  Do you really watch the games?

V

Well, Billy Clyde is a Don Haskins disciple and does play a bit uptempo if it is allowed. I saw them score in the 80's and 90's a cfew times this year. That game against UT in Austin, double OT 100-98 I think...great game.

I just don't like the way he keeps his mouth shut and has that wandering eye. Billy will coach anywhere he can get the most money, Arkansas included. I would love to see him jump into the shark tank at UK. They wouldeat him up if he didn't produce right away. At aTm he can get away with anything because they really don't know their hoops.

BRC0180

Quote from: V on March 30, 2007, 09:31:55 pm
Well, Billy Clyde is a Don Haskins disciple and does play a bit uptempo if it is allowed. I saw them score in the 80's and 90's a cfew times this year. That game against UT in Austin, double OT 100-98 I think...great game.

I just don't like the way he keeps his mouth shut and has that wandering eye. Billy will coach anywhere he can get the most money, Arkansas included. I would love to see him jump into the shark tank at UK. They wouldeat him up if he didn't produce right away. At aTm he can get away with anything because they really don't know their hoops.

See there is the problem:  They will not eat him up, because he will produce right away; like he has at every stop.  You can only judge a guy by what he has done with the opportunities presented him.  You can't deny he has passed every test with flying colors.

He gets away with it at A&M, like he would get away with it anywhere:  He wins, and his teams play their butts off

V

that's true, but it's not nearly as hard to win at UTEP or A&M as it is in the SEC. There are no more discriminating fans than UK. They made Tubby so uncomfortable he had to leave and all he did was win a NC, got to another final 4, 2 elite 8's and several sweet 16's. He will be under the pressure from day one in Lexington.

Richard_white

Why not.  If we hire any coach, what makes him any different to stay here.

V

what makes another coach different. Maybe someone with a wife, kids in school, someone who hasn't had 17 jobs in 20 years. Someone who buys a home instead of living in an apartment with his suitcase packed.

cuppycup

Your assertion that he will come back to Arkansas if UK falls through is laughable, V.

revolution

Okay, seriously, what has BCG accomplished that makes him worth $2 million?  He turned around UTEP - so what, they play in a second or third-rate conference.  He turned around AnM - better, but is the Big 12 really all that?  What teams other than Texas and Kansas really had any talent this year?  Yeah, we stunk it up against Misery and TTech.  College Station is still a hell-hole, and you have to question BCG's intelligence if he's willing to live there rather than Fayetteville.

BCG, we would have embraced you if you understood the privilege and responsibility of being a Razorback.  But you're obviously an Aggie and while you may eventually move on, you'll prove true that you can't rise above your Aggieness.  I would say best of luck to you, but that's not really what I wish for you.

May you get what you deserve.

Bring on someone who understands what it means to be a HOG!  Stan never got it.

HogginDaze

I think he is a great coach, but UK would eat him alive. I don't think he'd even get a season before the heat was on. As soon as the fans thought the team wasn't performing (mean after their fourth loss no matter when it occurred) they would complain.

He has benefited from coaching in places where the expectations were lowered when he came in which gave him time to work. At UK, they have lost a first round game since before many of today's recruits were born. What happens if goes in and loses in the first round of the NCAAs or makes the NIT the first year?

V

it's just a thought, I don't have a crystal ball, just believe that 2 weeks ago he had every intention of coming here.

Farmers Fight

The Big 12 South is just as tough as the SEC West. IMHO

cuppycup

He hasn't stayed anywhere very long, but all of his moves have been extremely upward. In my career, I would be a fool not to make huge leaps forward when presented with the opportunity.  You can't blame a guy for being sought after by better programs every couple of years.

I also see UK as an upward move, so I'm sure he's listening.

V

OK, but then what part of that conference is the SEC East...LOL Big XII is not nearly the basketball conference the SEC is, not close.

BRC0180

Quote from: V on March 30, 2007, 09:40:40 pm
that's true, but it's not nearly as hard to win at UTEP or A&M as it is in the SEC. There are no more discriminating fans than UK. They made Tubby so uncomfortable he had to leave and all he did was win a NC, got to another final 4, 2 elite 8's and several sweet 16's. He will be under the pressure from day one in Lexington.

Easier to win in the SEC.  The coaching level in the Big 12 has jumped out of site.  He would win big in Kentucky.  I don't think his style is really what UK is looking for ideally.  But if you win outside pressure is not a factor.

Farmers Fight

SCRX95

Quote from: V on March 30, 2007, 09:50:58 pm
OK, but then what part of that conference is the SEC East...LOL Big XII is not nearly the basketball conference the SEC is, not close.

And Razorbacks still managed to lose to Texas Tech...   then again so did A&M...twice.

V

About a month ago, i saw somewhere online an article that said he was quoted as saying "Kentucky was his dream job"

Most jobs are a move up from A&M. they just don't have the facilities or tradition of lots of major schools. a fine institution, just never cared ablut hoops. i sat in an empty Rollie White one time and watched Nolan and his boys roll up about 120 points and no one cared there, what few were at the game. It was embarrassing for us to beat them so bad. We won by about 45 points.

SCRX95

Quote from: V on March 30, 2007, 09:46:52 pm
it's just a thought, I don't have a crystal ball, just believe that 2 weeks ago he had every intention of coming here.

Quote from: V on March 30, 2007, 09:46:52 pm

Good thing he's not ...cuz you don't want him as a coach anyways.

V

BRC0180

Quote from: V on March 30, 2007, 09:55:03 pm
About a month ago, i saw somewhere online an article that said he was quoted as saying "Kentucky was his dream job"

Most jobs are a move up from A&M. they just don't have the facilities or tradition of lots of major schools. a fine institution, just never cared ablut hoops. i sat in an empty Rollie White one time and watched Nolan and his boys roll up about 120 points and no one cared there, what few were at the game. It was embarrassing for us to beat them so bad. We won by about 45 points.

Some people don't live on 20 year old memories.  Some people win 20 plus games a year.  Face reality:  He can coach his butt off.  Demands/pushes players = gets results.  Can't argue that.

ark30inf

Quote from: V on March 30, 2007, 09:07:32 pm
after he lead UA on, has spurned A&M, has his eyes of Kentucky, then likely would consider Florida. If that doesn't work out he would love to coach the Razorbacks...LOL

I hope he ends up having to stay at aTm and realizr he is not what he thought he was. One Sweet 16 and he thinks he deserves UK. he is where he belongs at a small time college.

Do not want.

cuppycup

Kentucky is a dream job for every basketball coach, I imagine.  Are you a Kentucky alum?  Why do you care if he ends up there?  He won't be at Arkansas.

You can talk about tradition all day (fantastic facilities are on the way, FYI), but some coaches may be forward-thinking.

Army has a great football tradition too, you know.

Farmers Fight

March 30, 2007, 09:58:53 pm #38 Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 10:00:48 pm by Farmers Fight
You are living in the past.  BCG has turned BB around in CS.  That is why Arkansas wanted him so bad.  

P.S.  We have a pretty good Womens coach too.  You Arkies really know when to hold and fold em.

BRC0180

Quote from: V on March 30, 2007, 09:57:43 pm
easier to win in the SEC? Funny

Bill Self
Rick Barnes
Bob Knight
BGC
Bob Huggins

Pretty tough lineup to beat

SCRX95

Quote from: V on March 30, 2007, 09:55:03 pm

When was that?  G Rollie is no longer used as a basketball arena.

You know..you can go back and boast about your history...13 years ago.  But that good looking prom queen 13 years ago who now works at a truck stop with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth isn't that hot anymore.

History and Tradition isn't what's helped Florida become a powerhouse in football and basketball.

UCLA has history and tradition....and is still a premier program today.  That's really not the case with UA today...  could change with the right hire though.

towneofbeverlyhills

reporting...word is...supposedly...he's for sure coming to uark...mark my words

Farmers Fight

A&M has very good BB facilities.  A&M will have awesome BB facilities very soon.

V

I liek Billy, just wouldn't pay 2 mill for him when there are better choices. Turning A&M around didn't take much. They were 0-16 in conference when he came. They will be 0-16 when he leaves. I hope he stays at A&M. i have good friends there and it seems most like him there. My friend is 45 and has never experienced winning basketball. It is a nove;ty in CS.

BRC0180

Quote from: V on March 30, 2007, 10:03:28 pm
I liek Billy, just wouldn't pay 2 mill for him when there are better choices. Turning A&M around didn't take much. They were 0-16 in conference when he came. They will be 0-16 when he leaves. I hope he stays at A&M. i have good friends there and it seems most like him there. My friend is 45 and has never experienced winning basketball. It is a nove;ty in CS.

Who is the better choice (assuming we could get BCG)

cuppycup

If you think A&M will go 0-16 when he leaves, then how is he NOT worth 1.75 million?

V

G Rollie White....LOL I have been in every gym in the SWC back in the day. Reed is OK, not great OK

BRC0180

Quote from: V on March 30, 2007, 10:03:28 pm

Around here the last 10 years winning has become a novelty

V

Billy is worth 1.75 to Aggieland, not to Arkansas.

cuppycup

Then we should both be happy.  Let's have a beer.