Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Here is my Problem with Anthony Grant

Started by WilsonHog, March 30, 2007, 02:25:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

I like the fact that Grant has a deep south, SEC background. I want a coach who is familiar with our part of the world culturally. That's why I'm not high on  guys like Mike Montgomery or Ernie Kent.  Grant also plays more of an aggressive, up-and-down style, and I like that as well.

joeyself

I remember when I played, there were certain teams that we hated to play because they were so annoying on defense.  It just wasn't any fun--and we never beat them.

I want us annoying again.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

Kevin

don't tell pitino the fast paced basketball is on it's way out
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Oliver

Quote from: Kevin on March 30, 2007, 03:59:13 pm

That's like saying don't tell Navy's coach that the option is on it's way out.  When was the last time Pitino or any team that ran an up-and-down style game even made the final four?

TRUHOG718

Quote From One Of Anthony Grant's Players this Year.

"I remember I looked in his eyes," said senior Calvin Roland. "He's so poised. He had a focused look. Just by seeing that, I felt a vibe. I felt, this is going to be a great year, and it's going to be something for us to remember."

:razorback: I hope we get this guy.  :razorback:
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

Kevin

louisville in 04, look at how florida played ucla last year
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Kevin

they won the duke game in the half court

WilsonHog

Quote from: Kevin on March 30, 2007, 04:11:58 pm

Most people never realized that Nolan's teams won a lot of ballgames in half court, including several with Corliss and Scotty.

Rooka

I would love to have A.G. come here, BUT I would like to see others come before him. I really like A.G.'s style and would be a 180 turn of euthusiasm on the court. AG will get in your face and make sure you know you made a mistake and will correct you and show you exactly what you did wrong. Heath just never seemed to do that he always acted like the kind of person that just says you will do better next while AG is the coach that makes sure that you do better the next time.

sadhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 30, 2007, 04:14:22 pm
Quote from: Kevin on March 30, 2007, 04:11:58 pm

Most people never realized that Nolan's teams won a lot of ballgames in half court, including several with Corliss and Scotty.

I agree, but just to reminisce; does everyone remember how scary it was when we'd try to slow the game down in the last 5 minutes?  I'd be screaming at the television.

Boardon Hamsay

Good point. I do think Grant would be an upgrade to Heath; but it would be hard to demonstrate it in any concrete way.

Hence, the gamble.  It's a gamble no matter who we hire.  Just remember similarities do not equal same results.  My only worry about Grant would be him ending up at Florida, say if Donovan goes to UK.  I would hate a Grant coached team down the road ending up beating us like a one legged man in an arse kicking contest...
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Hogtropolis™

Anthony Grant was Donovan's TOP assistant for 12 years.  Was Heath Izzo's TOP assistant or was just just an assistant?  I guess what I am asking was Heath Izzo's right hand man like Grant was to Donovan or like Mike Anderson was to Nolan?  Or was he just another assistant coach on the staff?  If he wasn't the TOP assistant there's another huge reason why Grant and Heath are far from the same hire.

TransAmHawg

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 30, 2007, 04:02:54 pm
Quote from: Kevin on March 30, 2007, 03:59:13 pm

That's like saying don't tell Navy's coach that the option is on it's way out.  When was the last time Pitino or any team that ran an up-and-down style game even made the final four?

The big "O" was never known to be a scientific rocket.

I might be wrong but I think his former boss is playing a game or two this weekend and has a standing offer of 2.5-3.5 million waiting on him to finish. If said coach takes the big deal from KY the former assistant will get a look there at FLA.  He knows what we use to be with Nolan and he plays that style of ball now. He's got a very good SEC pedigree and has proved he can coach by it being his first year and getting them to play very hard D., fast break Bball.  He's got what we want and I don't think We're going to get a big name in here after Frank not having the deal closed before firing Stanley.
  I wanted Self when we got Stanley but we had a committee pick. Grant knows us and we know where he's from. Donavan is in the elite group and this was his right hand man. We could get him and be a very competitive quick.
  Grant wouldn't look like a deer in the headlights if they call the hogs when they announced him as the new coach. I knew by the look on Stanley's face at the presser when he was hired that we were in trouble.

Grant would be a very good fit.
It'll Shine When it Shines

Ol Frank has finally $h!t in his own lunch box!!!

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
  It's their choice to bite the pillow or look over their shoulder lovingly.
  Either way we're on top..!"   
                             4windshawg

Fatty McGee

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 30, 2007, 03:47:22 pm
I like the fact that Grant has a deep south, SEC background. I want a coach who is familiar with our part of the world culturally. That's why I'm not high on  guys like Mike Montgomery or Ernie Kent.  Grant also plays more of an aggressive, up-and-down style, and I like that as well.

Familiarity with "our part of the world" is overrated.  Calipari seems to be doing just fine in "our part of the world", and he sure isn't from it.  Ben Howland did OK at Pitt, and he was a West Coast guy.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

The real Hogules

A spirited and appreciative crowd gathered one more time at the Siegel Center on Monday night to celebrate the unforgettable season of the VCU men's basketball team.

The Rams captured the attention of the country last week with an upset of national power Duke in the first round of the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. In the second round, VCU erased a 19-point second-half deficit against Pittsburgh, the No. 12 team in the country, before falling in overtime – narrowly missing out on the school's first-ever Sweet 16 appearance.

VCU President Eugene Trani congratulated the team not only for its success on the court but for the sportsmanlike way the players handled themselves. Trani read excerpts from a laudatory CBS Sportsline column that called the Rams "simply a great sports story."

"This is a great time for VCU," Trani said.

Monday's celebration featured the VCU pep band, cheerleaders, dance team members and Rodney the Ram. Fans spontaneously broke into chants of "V-C-U, V-C-U" and gave the team a number of standing ovations, cheering during a video presentation of the season's more memorable moments as though the action was unfolding live before them.

In addition, VCU Coach Anthony Grant, the CAA coach of the year who led the Rams to a school-record 28 victories, thanked the fans for their support and told them to expect more celebrations in the future.

"As sweet as that victory over Duke was, in the years to come we're going to have a lot more things to remember," Grant said.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

hogblade

There is no Problem with Grant.. Someone send Kevin Trainor a link to the board. Maybe he can relay the message to interview Grant!

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: hogblade on March 30, 2007, 06:57:57 pm
There is no Problem with Grant.. Someone send Kevin Trainor a link to the board. Maybe he can relay the message to interview Grant!

Done!
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: 100+GM HAWG on March 30, 2007, 02:27:47 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on March 30, 2007, 02:25:26 pm
Stan Heath came to us with the following resume: top flight assistant under Tom Izzo, one of the most respected coaches in the country, and one great run in the NCAA Tournament with Kent State.

Grant would come to us with a resume that included being a top-flight assistant under Billy Donovan and beating an average Duke team in the NCAA Tournament.

I'd have to know a whole lot more details before I could even begin to get excited about Grant. He looks like another Stan Heath to me.    
He may be great. But to big of a gamble at this point. Fool me once shame on you.... you know the rest of it.

Yeah. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, and we've got another Stan Heath and we deserve it.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on March 30, 2007, 07:29:24 pm
Quote from: 100+GM HAWG on March 30, 2007, 02:27:47 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on March 30, 2007, 02:25:26 pm
Stan Heath came to us with the following resume: top flight assistant under Tom Izzo, one of the most respected coaches in the country, and one great run in the NCAA Tournament with Kent State.

Grant would come to us with a resume that included being a top-flight assistant under Billy Donovan and beating an average Duke team in the NCAA Tournament.

I'd have to know a whole lot more details before I could even begin to get excited about Grant. He looks like another Stan Heath to me.    
He may be great. But to big of a gamble at this point. Fool me once shame on you.... you know the rest of it.

Yeah. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, and we've got another Stan Heath and we deserve it.

So, your arguement is similarity always equals same results?  Alrighty then!  Take care now, bye bye then.....

The Hawg Marshal

I admit I don't know much about Marshall.My questions to you guys that do.
1.Do you think he can recruit as well as Grant could?
2.What style of play does he use?
3. What keeps him from going to SC in a couple of years when Odom is out(and he will be)?
Just legitimate questions, not bashing Marshall at all.