Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Been reading heavily on A&M and Kansas boards.. NO ONE thinks highly of Arkansas

Started by polandhog, February 26, 2007, 07:39:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

polandhog

and everyone thinks any attempt to get BCG or Bill Self are utterly insane.

It's the Patrick Beverely thing all over again... "Wow, i thought it would just be all cows in Fayetteville...."

I used to give campus tours right after the first Walton donation to the business school, and families would Ooo and Aah at the 'smart boards' (new at the time -- chalkboards that basically act as wall-length computers more or less).  some kid from boston was amazed arkansas had these, she had never even seen such thing, to which i replied "this is what $50 million will do"

a decade later, that number is a wee bit higher-- oh yeah, a BILLION raised in 6 years.

Everyone constantly underestimates us -- either we are too small or too poor or too uneducated, or that Nolan was our ONLY success, or that we aren't even CLOSE to being elite (we aren't top 5 but surely top 15)....

College Station is a DUMP.... Lawrence Kansas is a barren WASTELAND.  We have the Ozarks and the Buffalo River and an national airport and 500,000+ people within an hour's drive

....i'm tired of ARKANSANS buying into the inferiority complex that we are 'lil ole arkansas' -- we have final fours in 3 different decades, 4 NBA lottery picks in the last fifteen years, wedged between Texas and Oklahoma and Louisiana and Memphis, and we have billion$ of support -- Rick Shaeffer be danged, we need to buck up and reach for the top!!

U.P. HOGG

Let the Jaws drop when we get a top notch coach in here.  The ones that talk about AR are ones who have never been to our state.  They are morons.

Pigonometry

Why should they?  We haven't done anything in the last 6 or 7 years............
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

gopigsgo

PintailKiller

When was the last time either of those schools won a NC in basketball?
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

KinkosHog

Obviously their coaches think highly of us, esp. Self.

Ever been to Kansas.  It's teh suck.

Pork Twain

Quote from: PintailKiller on February 26, 2007, 07:52:53 pm
When was the last time either of those schools won a NC in basketball?
When was the last time one of those schools won ANY national championship?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

RedSatinHog

Who cares what A&M or KU fans think of us?

Before they get to running their mouths too loudly, they might want to consider what it will be like if/when the UA hires their BB coach out from under them.

Last year was the first time A&M did anything in the tourney in most of their own fans' lives.  Mention the name of Rudy Woods and they'd have no earthly idea of who you're talking about.

As for Kansas, they have been a one-and-done casualty for two years running now.  Heck, they lost in last year's tourney to a school who is their equivalent of UALR.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

3kgthog

When the state of Arkansas and the city of Fayetteville really don't do much to change their images then that's the perception most people are going to have. It's the same thing Irwin said about recruiting. We've got to get something together that shows recruits that Fayetteville is on the opposite end of the cow and pasture spectrum. Until they do that then everyone is going to continue to believe we don't have shoes, cable tv, more than 1 tooth, etc.

Table Rocker

NO ONE from college station has the right to call out anyone else's town

Pigskin_Porker

Kansas may have more podunk parts to it then Arkansas.  Having been to Lawrence and lived in Fayetteville I can tell you that our rolling hills of the Ozarks and trees and rivers and the U of A campus are much nicer and more aesthetically pleasing to be around.
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

Hollywood_HOGan

i could see KU thumbing their nose at us but aTm?

How far have they EVER gone in the NCAAT again?

Just ask them about the last time they were in the sweet 16 or Final Four.

hogwild32

Kansas' last NC was in 89' when Brown was the coach.  They have been to 2 final fours since 2000.  I believe those years were 2002 and 2003.  They are also number 4 in the Top 100 BB programs of all-time.  We are ranked 8th. 

Kansas does have a reason to be "USC-ish" when it comes to their BB program, but TexASS A$M...not so much, at all>

stan the man

The fact that we were a top program in bb during the 90's should prove something to those that think we can't offer anything to top notch coaches.  We have more tradition in bb than A and M by a long shot.  They were not even in the competitive mix during our hey days in the old SWC.  It was basically us and Texas but mostly it was us.
There is no reason why we should take a back seat to anyone.  Compare our fan support to any top program and see where we rank.  There are only a hand full of arenas that stack up to us in attendance year end and year out.  The only school in the SEC that is above us is Kentucky.

HogsGranpa

Quote from: polandhog on February 26, 2007, 07:39:27 pm

It's the Patrick Beverely thing all over again... "Wow, i thought it would just be all cows in Fayetteville...."

I used to give campus tours right after the first Walton donation to the business school, and families would Ooo and Aah at the 'smart boards' (new at the time -- chalkboards that basically act as wall-length computers more or less).  some kid from boston was amazed arkansas had these, she had never even seen such thing, to which i replied "this is what $50 million will do"

a decade later, that number is a wee bit higher-- oh yeah, a BILLION raised in 6 years.

Everyone constantly underestimates us -- either we are too small or too poor or too uneducated, or that Nolan was our ONLY success, or that we aren't even CLOSE to being elite (we aren't top 5 but surely top 15)....

College Station is a DUMP.... Lawrence Kansas is a barren WASTELAND.  We have the Ozarks and the Buffalo River and an national airport and 500,000+ people within an hour's drive

....i'm tired of ARKANSANS buying into the inferiority complex that we are 'lil ole arkansas' -- Rick Shaeffer be danged, we need to buck up and reach for the top!!
Well, if either of these coaches do come, I guess we can tip our hat and show 'em the money that brought 'em.

PiggyBack

Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

Mr. Prozac

College Station IS in a cow pasture...And what do they have in Kansas?

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: PorkOpine on February 26, 2007, 07:43:12 pm
I don't know where A&M fans get their arrogance.  Historically speaking, Arkansas owns them.

Which is exactly where their arrogance comes in. When you've been the ownee for the last 50 years you have nothing else left except bashing the owner with ridicule and hoping no one bothers to look up the record.

hoginator

Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

Fayetnam

Which ever coach Arkansas wants, they'll get. Like Mike says, who cares what they think! I do miss Roy Williams crying when Kansas would get beat though. And that night he dropped the "S" bomb on live TV. I have great memory's of Kansas....all around tourney time!

stronguard

There were a couple of smack talkers on here last night saying that the U of A was not in the league of Tx A&M and Kansas.  I think (maybe b/c I am biased) that the U of A is a much better gig (pardon the pun) than Aggieland.  And at the same time, it would be hard to argue with the fact that Kansas is a more nationally respected bball program than the U of A.  But after reading some bios, and listening to some sports talk from other lands, I may re-consider my arguments.  I think we may have a better chance to land Self than we do Gillespie.  As long as we go for a big name, almost CERTAINLY can't miss coach, I will be happy.  But if we hire the coach of THIS years cinderella team I will resign myself to another 5 year disaster.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

humphrey

The worst part is that many Hog fans still cling to that '94 national championship and usae that as proof that Arkansas has a top-notch program.  If we can't recognize that we're not getting the job done, we may never make it back to the Final 4.  Sure, some will say we're the worst there can be and some will say we're the best ever, but we must remain objective in order to actually accomplish something. 

No matter how much a man tells himself he isn't hungry, he will someday die if he doesn't eat.

oldtimerhog

The old timer has never been to Lawrence, but College Station makes Fayetteville seem like heaven on earth.  There is nothing good about College Station or the Aggies Basketball tradition (or lack there of).  A&M can't match us financially either.  If we want BCG, he is ours!
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

....i'm tired of ARKANSANS buying into the inferiority complex that we are 'lil ole arkansas' -- we have final fours in 3 different decades, 4 NBA lottery picks in the last fifteen years, wedged between Texas and Oklahoma and Louisiana and Memphis, and we have billion$ of support -- Rick Shaeffer be danged, we need to buck up and reach for the top!!
Well said. Let's shoot high, we may just get what we want.

pigmania

IMO, this University can pay whatever they need to, to get the best of the best. It's just a matter of if they want to. This school has financial resources many schools don't have.

towneofbeverlyhills

this shud be obvious why they hate us...cos one of them is going to lose their coach...showing our school has more draw...its actually quite hilarious

toshortrock

why should they,without reading the other post,who;s scared of us,we have nutt,and i'm not talking about the basketball team,
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

sage_dragoon

XBox360 - SageDragoon79

PintailKiller

Quote from: Mr. Prozac on February 26, 2007, 08:42:45 pm

College Station IS in a cow pasture...And what do they have in Kansas?

Kansas - lots of corn and lots of cowsh*t.  Ever make the drive from Lawrence to Liberal?  Gotta wear a nose plug.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

cosmodrum

KU has a beautiful campus, and KC is a short ride. Indeed, College Station is lame. However, a degree from A&M is not.

Go away, batin'

razornole

I'd say based on the last 5 years I don't blame them much.  Still it is rather Mr. Pot meet Mr. Kettle
Broyles is Porter Waggoner trying to play hip-hop - John Brummett

DeltaBoy

Quote from: mikeirwin on February 26, 2007, 07:40:09 pm
Who cares what they think ?

I agree Mike we have some of the best things up on the Hill minus our FB and Basketball coaches!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

allyoucaneatbuffet

I can't WAIT until we get self or BG, and those uppity fans jaws drop!

HogNuttz

"Wow, i thought it would just be all cows in Fayetteville...."

Apparently aTm fans think Fayetteville is a lot worse than all cows if they hold College Station in a higher regard.  All cows would be an upgrade for them.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

allyoucaneatbuffet

Again to Ag fans, College Station is a DUMP
an to Jayhawk lurkers, Lawrence is AWFUL!

hamptonshogs

I work with a guy who went to a&m and he says that they will do whatever they need to keep bcg, even if that means offering him a saban type salary.  Their athletic budget is about $30 million a year more than fayetteville's and not to mention the fact that he is from Texas.   I think we would have an extremely tough time trying to lure him away.   

SbrokeskiAg

Quote from: Tomcat on February 27, 2007, 09:20:11 am
Why are we concerned with Big XII schools anyways?
That would be because you are extremely interested in our two best coaches and not looking inside your own conference for a suitable substitute.

Jim Harris

sounds like somebody at the UA needs to sign you up as the marketing person.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: hamptonshogs on February 27, 2007, 02:17:58 pm
I work with a guy who went to a&m and he says that they will do whatever they need to keep bcg, even if that means offering him a saban type salary.  Their athletic budget is about $30 million a year more than fayetteville's and not to mention the fact that he is from Texas.   I think we would have an extremely tough time trying to lure him away.  

they're a football school. A billion dollars to Gillispie won't change that, but it would piss off a whole lot of other people. It would also cut into their payment plan for their football players.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

hogfan47

C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

DocJones

Quote from: drakehog on February 27, 2007, 05:27:47 pm
I work with a guy who went to a&m and he says that they will do whatever they need to keep bcg, even if that means offering him a saban type salary.  Their athletic budget is about $30 million a year more than fayetteville's and not to mention the fact that he is from Texas.   I think we would have an extremely tough time trying to lure him away.  

they're a football school. A billion dollars to Gillispie won't change that, but it would piss off a whole lot of other people. It would also cut into their payment plan for their football players.

If past performance is any indicator, we definitely haven't been paying enough!  I've been staying away from this thread because it looks like the kind of place where an outsider would get trampled, but I think one of the posters on the first page put it best when he said that it was a matter of perception.  Admittedly, I don't know much about Arkansas, and even less about your part of the state, but I googled and read up and looked at some pictures and I can see why you guys are so proud of what you have, it's absolutely beautiful, but it's like secret you keep all to yourselves.  I've never been to Lawrence, besides driving through in the middle of the night, so I don't have anything to say, but for those of you who haven't been to CS in 10 or so years, while we might not ever have the charm of town nestled in the Ozarks, this place is nothing like it it was 10 or 20 years ago.  Coming from a guy who grew up within hours of Mexico, CS is anything but a dump and I know quite a few people who grew up elsewhere who feel the same way.  It's not a metropolis, but most of us like it that way.

edt

Glad to see you here Doc. I really think we are going to make a run at Self. He is more of a local guy If he won't come Billy is probably next. If A&M is going to keep Billy they are going to have to pay him a whole lot more money. We won't be the only ones that may come after him. Good situation for Billy to be in though. Wish it was me!

wacohog

Quote from: DocJones on February 27, 2007, 06:43:11 pm
Quote from: drakehog on February 27, 2007, 05:27:47 pm
I work with a guy who went to a&m and he says that they will do whatever they need to keep bcg, even if that means offering him a saban type salary.  Their athletic budget is about $30 million a year more than fayetteville's and not to mention the fact that he is from Texas.   I think we would have an extremely tough time trying to lure him away.   

If past performance is any indicator, we definitely haven't been paying enough!  I've been staying away from this thread because it looks like the kind of place where an outsider would get trampled, but I think one of the posters on the first page put it best when he said that it was a matter of perception.  Admittedly, I don't know much about Arkansas, and even less about your part of the state, but I googled and read up and looked at some pictures and I can see why you guys are so proud of what you have, it's absolutely beautiful, but it's like secret you keep all to yourselves.  I've never been to Lawrence, besides driving through in the middle of the night, so I don't have anything to say, but for those of you who haven't been to CS in 10 or so years, while we might not ever have the charm of town nestled in the Ozarks, this place is nothing like it it was 10 or 20 years ago.  Coming from a guy who grew up within hours of Mexico, CS is anything but a dump and I know quite a few people who grew up elsewhere who feel the same way.  It's not a metropolis, but most of us like it that way.

Nice post,  Doc

CS,  like Waco,  is getting better every yr. We have our cult(Branch Dividians) and you have yours(Aggies) ;)

JayhawkHog

Quote from: allyoucaneatbuffet on February 27, 2007, 10:44:40 am

You guys are beyond help.  How long have you had mass delusional schizophrenia? 

I'm going to bump this thread in about a month or two (however long it takes you to hire a coach) and laugh my a$$ off!  And I'm going to invite all my Jayhawk buddies down here to laugh too.

An Aggie comes on here (Catfish, on his "An Aggie" thread), makes an intelligent post and compliments your school and program, and what do you do?  Insult him, call him names, and mock him.  Very classy, Razorbacks.  Hope you get everything you have coming to you.   

HogsGranpa

Quote from: JayhawkHog on February 27, 2007, 07:19:24 pm
Quote from: allyoucaneatbuffet on February 27, 2007, 10:44:40 am

You guys are beyond help.  How long have you had mass delusional schizophrenia? 

I'm going to bump this thread in about a month or two (however long it takes you to hire a coach) and laugh my a$$ off!  And I'm going to invite all my Jayhawk buddies down here to laugh too.

An Aggie comes on here (Catfish, on his "An Aggie" thread), makes an intelligent post and compliments your school and program, and what do you do?  Insult him, call him names, and mock him.  Very classy, Razorbacks.  Hope you get everything you have coming to you.   

It is called "Darkhater Rage".

edt