Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Proposed change to Bud Walton

Started by All Bleed Red, March 03, 2014, 08:36:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

All Bleed Red

Move students to the North side.  Reason is simple.  All TV broadcasts are filmed from press box on South side of stadium.  The rowdy student section that stands and cheers for the whole game isn't seen much on the TV broadcast of game.  I've been to several games this year and the excitement of the arena isn't as visual on TV when I go home and watch the replay.  The Bud's atmosphere can be compared to venues like Duke and Syracuse, but they don't look as crazy on TV.  I know it isn't a simple thing to do but it's a simple idea that I believe would make a worthwhile impact on recruiting, game attendance, and visual perception on TV.    :razorback: GOOO HOOOGSS!!  :razorback:

The University did try to make an effort to get more students in by giving them a section in the upper deck, but that hasn't worked out well.  Seems as though most students will squeeze in courtside or not attend because that section in the upper deck is often empty.  I really think making these changes to seating arrangements would have huge impact.

Hoggish1

On TV it looks like there is no upper deck.  Granted there may not be anybody up there until recently, but you wouldn't be able to see them without it having better lighting. 

I know it was packed up there for Georgia, but it looked black on TV...

All Bleed Red

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 03, 2014, 09:29:46 am
On TV it looks like there is no upper deck.  Granted there may not be anybody up there until recently, but you wouldn't be able to see them without it having better lighting. 

I wasn't referring to seeing the upper deck.  Like you mentioned you don't ever see it on TV.  I'm just talking about switching the side of the court the student section is on.  You don't ever see the students until they pan around the arena or do courtside cams.  The students drive the energy in the arena and stand for the whole game, so it would just be better if they were seen throughout the game on the regular TV broadcast.  My 2 cents

YouCrawl_IQuall

They should put the students all around the court using the first 10  or so rows. Have them encircle the court, would make it more hostile for the other teams

thirtythree

Quote from: YouCrawl_IQuall on March 03, 2014, 09:58:50 am
They should put the students all around the court using the first 10  or so rows. Have them encircle the court, would make it more hostile for the other teams

I love the way Duke does theirs.

All Bleed Red

Absolutely, this would be awesome!

HamIAm

SEC rules prohibit the student section and band from being near the visiting teams bench.

QuoteStudent Sections
. The visiting team's bench may not be located in front of the home team's student section or pep
band. The visiting team's bench shall be located either on the opposite side of the court or on the oppo
site end of
the court from the student section and band.

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/Portals/3/SEC%20Website/compliance/Men%20Basketball.pdf

OnTheHillHogFan

Where the students are at is fine. They made the right move by moving the media section last summer though I think they should be in the upper deck but still it helped get about 250 students closer to the floor.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

LZH

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 03, 2014, 09:29:46 am

I've often wondered, especially this year, why they don't put lights up there and turn them on when it's full.  It would sure add to the overall aesthetics.  If the upper deck is mostly empty, don't turn them on so it'll look just like it does now.  I do like the look of most of these newer NBA-type arenas that are lit up from top to bottom.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 03, 2014, 10:56:34 am
I've often wondered, especially this year, why they don't put lights up there and turn them on when it's full.  It would sure add to the overall aesthetics.  If the upper deck is mostly empty, don't turn them on so it'll look just like it does now.  I do like the look of most of these newer NBA-type arenas that are lit up from top to bottom.
Probably has something to do with the tv cameras that are in the upper deck.
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

arkbadger

do the math, in that scenario the student section would be full for maybe 1 game per year.
You can keep that skoal baby.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: arkbadger on March 03, 2014, 11:05:39 am

do the math, in that scenario the student section would be full for maybe 1 game per year.

Don't forget to include the loss of revenue from trading "high dollar" seats for student ticket prices.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: arkbadger on March 03, 2014, 11:05:39 am

Yeah ten rows is a lot but if it was 5 or 6 it would fill up for most of the games.

I've seen a lot of posters bash the student section this year and its pretty ridiculous. The lower level was full for almost every non-conference game along with some overflow in the upper deck and the conference games have even been a little better.

cal34

They should be next to the court across from the teams benches.  Throw up a small wall between them and the court and move the billionaires off the side of the court.  It will never happen.

three hog night

I would love to see this happen.  Students on all sides except for the visiting team bench, but I would put more students behind the baskets for maximum impact on shooters.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

All Bleed Red

Quote from: cal34 on March 03, 2014, 11:20:58 am

They should be next to the court across from the teams benches.  Throw up a small wall between them and the court and move the billionaires off the side of the court.  It will never happen.

This is funny.  I noticed like 4 women that were 115 years old sitting right on the court.  They are one scramble for a loose ball away from a broken hip.   :o

The_Iceman

There are lights in the upper deck, but they keep them turned off. I thinks it's intentional. My guess is they want all the lighting focused on the court, with the crowd to be dark.

Danny J

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 03, 2014, 01:42:31 pm
There are lights in the upper deck, but they keep them turned off. I thinks it's intentional. My guess is they want all the lighting focused on the court, with the crowd to be dark.
Yep and it also helps people from up top see the court better.

I would move the benches to the south side of the court and put the students on the north side spread from baseline to baseline.

Hoggish1

Quote from: All Bleed Red on March 03, 2014, 09:35:50 am
I wasn't referring to seeing the upper deck.  Like you mentioned you don't ever see it on TV.  I'm just talking about switching the side of the court the student section is on.  You don't ever see the students until they pan around the arena or do courtside cams.  The students drive the energy in the arena and stand for the whole game, so it would just be better if they were seen throughout the game on the regular TV broadcast.  My 2 cents

Yes, I got your point, which is a good one.  But it always bothers me when, on TV, it looks like we are not playing in a very large arena.  Light it up a bit so it has some visual appeal.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: All Bleed Red on March 03, 2014, 01:39:48 pm
This is funny.  I noticed like 4 women that were 115 years old sitting right on the court.  They are one scramble for a loose ball away from a broken hip.   :o
FWIW one of those ladies is Pat Walker.

Swine & Cheese Club

Question...  Would you prefer having the student section directly behind the opposing goal for the first half or for the second half?  Which makes a better impact on the game?  Thoughts?

Danny J

Quote from: Hog Fan4 Life07 on March 03, 2014, 05:20:06 pm
Question...  Would you prefer having the student section directly behind the opposing goal for the first half or for the second half?  Which makes a better impact on the game?  Thoughts?
I have thought of that myself. I would want the students at the opponents goal for the second half.

ClearEyes

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 03, 2014, 01:42:31 pm

You are correct

BigoBoys

Put the press in the upper  deck

thirrdegreetusker

There is a persistent urban myth that UA students are avid, passionate, consistent, loyal supporters of UA mens basketball. While that has clearly been true in some cases, there have been MANY years when the student ticket allotment went unclaimed. Even when student tickets were free, or dirt cheap, many went unclaimed.

I've been there; I've seen it. I started going as a student when the bleachers at Barnhill sat on a dirt floor. Just had to show your UA ID and walk in. Upon graduation, became a season ticket holder at Barnhill, transitioned to season tickets at BWA.

Student section at BWA has not been consistently full this century. So I would hate to have highly visible seats reserved for students, and have a national TV audience see them empty.

Illinihog

In the Bud the main camera the "All 10" Camera is shot from the upper deck and points down towards the action.  So that Camera shouldn't see the upper deck. If you look at alot of Arenas when shot from the Floor the upper deck looks dark because the cameras are shooting up toward the lights and it forces the Camera's Iris to close.  You will notice this on NFL games in Domes. As well that don't have outside lights coming in.  New Orleans, Minnesota are examples.  The Georgia Dome at night is the same way because the Roof lets ambient light in.  Sorry for the long technical post.