Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - No Expectations that Razorback Football will Be Better than Last Season

Started by Robert Shields, July 01, 2013, 10:39:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LRRandy

Quote from: Rah! Rah! on July 01, 2013, 02:10:39 pm
I can't believe I am doing this but on this I agree with LRRandy. 

I absolutely expect us to play better football this year.  However with a harder schedule and the loss of key players our record may not reflect it, that doesn't mean we aren't playing better ball.

I would also rather take an unknown Alex Collins as my RB than the Knile Davis we had last year.  Not sure how much of 2012 is on the offensive line, but he didn't look like the old Knile all year.
hey, even a blind squirrel (me) finds a nut once in a while ( gets something agreeable).
I think 2012 Knile was his head. Not able to come back mentally from another injury and knowing if he had another injury he could wave NFL $ bye bye. The Collins thing is yet another of the unknowns. He is much hyped, 5 stars and all, and could come in and be beastly. But......... The percentage of freshman that come in and make a big impact relative ( my favorite word) to the number of incoming freshman in all of college football is small. It could happen, I would like to see it, but you sure cant count on it.
This is fun, isn't it.

LZH

Quote from: Robert Shields on July 01, 2013, 10:39:12 amThis is one of those columns that usually earns me a nasty message from some parent of a player, which has happened on a couple of occasions.

Like who?  Please, clue us in.  I don't think you've talked to anyone associated with the football team since you were a student at the UofA...many, many moons ago...if then.  It's obvious to me that you're well read and have the verbal chops to make a go at this.  But your material reads like world travel memoirs written by a stay-at-home wife.  You gotta get out there and get your hands dirty, do some research...and that's hard to do if you never leave your computer.  It's what seperates the amateurs from the respectable go-getters.  You've been selling yourself short for a long time.  Just some thoughts.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: LedZepHog on July 01, 2013, 03:23:30 pm
Like who?  Please, clue us in.  I don't think you've talked to anyone associated with the football team since you were a student at the UofA...many, many moons ago...if then.  It's obvious to me that you're well read and have the verbal chops to make a go at this.  But your material reads like world travel memoirs written by a stay-at-home wife.  You gotta get out there and get your hands dirty, do some research...and that's hard to do if you never leave your computer.  It's what seperates the amateurs from the respectable go-getters.  You've been selling yourself short for a long time.  Just some thoughts.
It might actually elicit a nasty comment or two from a football parent IF they either read and/or gave a damn about Shield's comments/viewpoints. Unfortunately, but most typically, he gives himself far more than credit than reality warrants.

MJ2

Even more than what AR has or doesn't have is the fact that the conference is SO tough!  Just run the SEC west thru your mind and tell me how many real wins you can see?   Throw in the East and it's brutal too.   Gonna be a long year and not much relief in sight.

LZH

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on July 01, 2013, 03:39:53 pm
It might actually elicit a nasty comment or two from a football parent IF they either read and/or gave a damn about Shield's comments/viewpoints. Unfortunately, but most typically, he gives himself far more than credit than reality warrants.

And the reason those parents don't give a damn is because he's just a guy who sits at home, posts stuff on the internet and calls it 'journalism' because a couple of small town newspapers in south AR prints whatever he sends them.  If some of these yahoos in Georgia, Florida, and Alabama can start their own blog and have the following that they do, then so could RS, imo.  He's not totally void of talent.  But for whatever reason he's content with this kind of bs.

Robert Shields

Quote from: LedZepHog on July 01, 2013, 03:23:30 pm

Actually, there was a reference to one parent in particular in this column (It was a father not a mother to end any speculation).  In the end, and actaully at the last second, I took it out. I decided it served no purpose bad mouthing some kid's parent.  But yes, I have recieved complaints from parents.  I'm curious if Mike Irwin or Scott Faldon have.  I know Faldon has gotten all kinds of complaints from high school parents.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

ricepig

Quote from: Robert Shields on July 01, 2013, 04:04:12 pm
Actually, there was a reference to one parent in particular in this column (It was a father not a mother to end any speculation).  In the end, and actaully at the last second, I took it out. I decided it served no purpose bad mouthing some kid's parent.  But yes, I have recieved complaints from parents.  I'm curious if Mike Irwin or Scott Faldon have.  I know Faldon has gotten all kinds of complaints from high school parents.

Did you just compare yourself to two sports journalists?

ricepig

LZH

Quote from: Robert Shields on July 01, 2013, 04:04:12 pm

They are reporters, so of course they have.  Have you tried to get press credentials?  Have you tried to interview anyone to get a perspective other than your own?  You present yourself as a writer, but as it is now, you're no different than any of us here on Hogville.  It's this very issue that makes you 'open season'.

Seebs

Quote from: ricepig on July 01, 2013, 04:10:16 pm
Did you just compare yourself to two sports journalists?

Yes he did. Robert Shields comparing himself to Mike Irwin is like me comparing myself  to Kate Upton based solely on the fact we both have nipples.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MJ2 on July 01, 2013, 03:49:22 pm
Even more than what AR has or doesn't have is the fact that the conference is SO tough!  Just run the SEC west thru your mind and tell me how many real wins you can see?   Throw in the East and it's brutal too.   Gonna be a long year and not much relief in sight.
IMO a win against AWbarn is very possible; a victory against MSU (game in WMS this year) and/or OM is not outside the realm of possibility either. Depending on various factors a loss against USCe (in Fayetteville traditional "death" for the chickens) isn't exactly guaranteed either.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Seebs on July 01, 2013, 04:18:05 pm
Yes he did. Robert Shields comparing himself to Mike Irwin is like me comparing myself  to Kate Upton based solely on the fact we both have nipples.
+2 for a truly classic response!!

Piggage

Quote from: Robert Shields on July 01, 2013, 10:39:12 am
Tailback: The running backs are completely unproven. You're hoping to get production from a true freshman in Alex Collins.

RS, I know you're writing this with a journalist's hat on, but you might be careful going for "You" instead of "We." Someone on here might ask you to give up your fan card.

BTW, I'm doing much more than hoping to get production from Alex Collins. I'm expecting it, and I think coaches and fans should too. I'm not saying I expect him to have 1,000-yd season (as wonderful as that would be), but I'm absolutely expecting production.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Piggage on July 01, 2013, 04:25:51 pm
RS, I know you're writing this with a journalist's hat on, but you might be careful going for "You" instead of "We." Someone on here might ask you to give up your fan card.

BTW, I'm doing much more than hoping to get production from Alex Collins. I'm expecting it, and I think coaches and fans should do. I'm not saying I expect him to have 1,000-yd season (as wonderful as that would be), but I'm absolutely expecting production.
Remember too that of all positions RB tends to be the smoothest for many freshmen to quickly transition.

LRRandy

Quote from: Piggage on July 01, 2013, 04:25:51 pm

BTW, I'm doing much more than hoping to get production from Alex Collins. I'm expecting it, and I think coaches and fans should too. I'm not saying I expect him to have 1,000-yd season (as wonderful as that would be), but I'm absolutely expecting production.
ok, what production are you expecting if not 1,000 yards. 500? 750?
What number satisfies your criteria of expectation?
This is fun, isn't it.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: LRRandy on July 01, 2013, 04:30:41 pm
I'm just curious: what difference does it make how many he's expecting? Think about this: If it came under the right circumstances (such as scoring several crucial TDs or getting some "gotta have" yardage at a critical time of a game) a couple 100 yards in a year could be considered more valuable than 500, 750 or even 1,000 yards at other times. Other than your curiosity his ultimate answer means exactly what to you?

TOM "tbw1"

Please compare this mishmash to similar discussions by What's Shakin and Muskogee.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

hogcard1964

Dear Lord!  Someone actually believes this squad could be worse than last year's model and what John L. Smith did to the program last year?

???

HognotinMemphis

Same group of losers with nothing better to do than respond to Bob's article. Incredible how gullible some are.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

LRRandy

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on July 01, 2013, 05:06:59 pm
I'm just curious: what difference does it make how many he's expecting? Think about this: If it came under the right circumstances (such as scoring several crucial TDs or getting some "gotta have" yardage at a critical time of a game) a couple 100 yards in a year could be considered more valuable than 500, 750 or even 1,000 yards at other times. Other than your curiosity his ultimate answer means exactly what to you?
simply that he stated that he expected production. Not 1,000 yards. I wondered at what point would his expectation of production be satisfied. No more, no less.
This is fun, isn't it.

Seebs

Quote from: HoginMemphis on July 01, 2013, 06:59:08 pm
Same group of losers with nothing better to do than respond to Bob's article. Incredible how gullible some are.

I'd be cranky too if I had to live in the swollen abscess of a city like Memphis.

P.S. - you posted a response in Bob's thread as well - so I dub thee King of the Losers. Grats. Now open your window and smell the smell of Memphis failure.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

LZH

Quote from: LRRandy on July 01, 2013, 07:07:04 pm
simply that he stated that he expected production. Not 1,000 yards. I wondered at what point would his expectation of production be satisfied. No more, no less.

5 yards per carry.  Off the top of my head, any I-back should average 5 yards per carry.

urkillnmesmalls

HiM...I gave him credit when he made some good points about the schedule.  I read every article he posts, and I usually comment accordingly.  In fact, I felt I commented accordingly on this one.

If he's going to post an opinion piece with the guise that he's worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Mike Irwin for example, then he's going to need a helmet for what's coming back.  Especially when it's purely regurgitating in nature like this one. 

There was nothing in that post that hasn't been hashed and re-hashed on Hogville in the last three months and covered in depth, so if he shows up on Tuesday morning and posts that thinking he's covering new ground, he's going to hear about it. 

That only comes from one thing.  HE DOESN'T SPEND ANY TIME HERE OTHER THAN HIS OWN TUESDAY OPINION/BLOG PIECE. 

Here's what I'm saying.  If covering a topic in depth was a swimming pool, then Hogville would be the 10 foot end, and RS's contribution would be the kiddie pool.       

That's why he gets blasted.   

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

DLUXHOG

Yawnnnn........... The Hogs are sure going to suprise some of you folks THIS year....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

FelixJonesorDMAC?

LZH

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on July 02, 2013, 12:21:37 am
I come to RS posts just for the comments.  #82 Right here

Suuure.  And Sammy Davis Jr. joined the Satanic Church just for the orgies.......................;)

Chief Mac

Which would make you the same loser that comments about said losers
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

MuskogeeHogFan

OK Robert, I'll bite and give a legit response.

First of all, it didn't take Nick Saban 3 years. In year two he was 12-0 going into the SECCG and lost the next two in a row to Florida and Utah. Yeah, he lost two in a row, but are we now saying that 12-2 isn't a record of success?

It did take BP three years to reach the Sugar Bowl. That is true enough.

QB: You compare Brandon Allen to Mallett and Wilson and that really is unfair. I wouldn't say it was an unfair comparison IF Allen was going to have to run an offense similar to his predecessors, but that isn't the case. Allen won't have to be a QB like either of these two will probably play more of a role of a bus driver to an extent. He'll still throw, but he will have the benefit of being set up for a successful passing game by a legitimate running game that we haven't had in the past. Allen won't throw for nearly as many yards as either Mallett or Wilson, but I think his completion percentage will be just as good if not better and the same goes for his INT percentage and YAC.

TE: We will be fine here. Keep in mind that it isn't as if Gragg made a huge impact last year. He could have, but he only caught passes in 5 games last year. He was out more than he was in.

WR: We have some excellent WR's that are returning. Yes, we lost Cobi, but every team knew we were going to throw to him about 35% of the time last year and the percentage was higher on first down. We were just that predictable. We have 3-4 kids coming back with experience and they are big enough and relaible enough to make catches in traffic. Given that everyone in the stadium and on t.v. knew when we were going to throw last year, it is remarkable that these kids were ever able to get open and make any catches, but they did. They'll get more of an edge running patterns this year because we will be less predictable and so I expect that their numbers will go up and maybe YAC as well.

FB: I think you'll find that this position gets 3 times as many reps or more per game this year as it ever has before under BP and good grief we have some great kids at this position.

TB: I'll admit our depth at this position is unproven. But to say that Williams in unproven? Well Robert, if you want to say that a kid who rushed for 5.1 yards per carry every time he was handed the ball as a true freshman and had an average of 26 yards per reception last year on 8 receptions is unproven, then I just don't know what to say to you. The only problem with Williams was JLS and PP not giving him more opportunities last year.

The good side of all of this is that we have a great freshman coming in who we hope can contribute immediately and we have sufficient overall depth at this position that there isn't any need for any single RB to be overused and worn out.

O-Line: I agree, this is going to be a good, solid and more productive unit this fall and just by the way, I thought Bielema was a Noseguard in college, not an O-Lineman?

ST: Hocker will be good. I have faith in this kid. As important as his performance may be, there is more to ST's than just the punter or place kicker. Wisconsin's overall ST performance last year ranked (on average) in the top third of the NCAA last year. Meanwhile we had an avg ST rank of #72.5 out of 120 teams last season. I expect significant improvement in coverage and returns this year.

D-Line: This is the strength of the team Robert, and not just on paper. It was last year and it will be this year, again. And just because your D-Line is strong and is good against the run (top 20 LY) and they apply plenty of pressure (4th in the SEC LY in Hurries/Sacks Per Opportunity) on the QB in passing situations, doesn't automatically equate to better pass defense as we saw last year.

LB: We may not know what we are going to get this year at these positions, but we had at least a couple of freshmen were thrown into the fire last year due to injuries and that experience should be helpful. We've added a couple of JC LB's and that should help as well, and then there is the emergence of Carr as the MLB. Surprising, but I'm going to trust that Randy Shannon with all of his experience, knows what he is doing.

Secondary: Lots of work to be done here but the good news is that there really isn't anywhere to go but up. Having ranked #113 in pass defense after the front seven produced a stingy run defense and the 4th best pass pressure in the SEC last year, they are going to have to do better than one PBU in every 9.9 passing attempts (10th in the SEC) and better than one INT in every 37.4 passing attempts (12th in the SEC). If this unit can produce a pass defense ranking of around #40 our defense as a whole is going to be greatly improved.

Not sure where you were trying to go with your attempt to explain being "clever". You don't have to be "clever" you have to be relatively smart to play offense and be cool enough to process the line calls, formation changes, audibles that are called and you have to have great technique and from my particular point of view, I like an O-Lineman with an attitude.

And as far as the overall "attitude" of the entire team, I think you are going to see a team full of kids with a chip on their shoulders who are anxious to prove themselves and who will have much tougher attitudes this year.

As far as people who are "clever enough" to score, I'm not too concerned about this.

When it comes to the required "attitude" to put people out of a game, I don't think that is going to be the collective focus of this team, Robert. I believe that they will be focused on successfully executing their individual position responsibilities as a part of the team and grading out high as a result in post game films and if they are able to do that repeatedly, we will win a lot of games.

Everyone loves the highlight reel hits and they are fun to watch, but this year I'll trade a boatload of those for winning a minimum of 7 games this year.
Go Hogs Go!

M L (bassplayer)

I had trouble sleeping last night so i read your short-story. Thanks....

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 02, 2013, 06:42:07 am
OK Robert, I'll bite and give a legit response.

First of all, it didn't take Nick Saban 3 years. In year two he was 12-0 going into the SECCG and lost the next two in a row to Florida and Utah. Yeah, he lost two in a row, but are we now saying that 12-2 isn't a record of success?

It did take BP three years to reach the Sugar Bowl. That is true enough.

QB: You compare Brandon Allen to Mallett and Wilson and that really is unfair. I wouldn't say it was an unfair comparison IF Allen was going to have to run an offense similar to his predecessors, but that isn't the case. Allen won't have to be a QB like either of these two will probably play more of a role of a bus driver to an extent. He'll still throw, but he will have the benefit of being set up for a successful passing game by a legitimate running game that we haven't had in the past. Allen won't throw for nearly as many yards as either Mallett or Wilson, but I think his completion percentage will be just as good if not better and the same goes for his INT percentage and YAC.

TE: We will be fine here. Keep in mind that it isn't as if Gragg made a huge impact last year. He could have, but he only caught passes in 5 games last year. He was out more than he was in.

FB: I think you'll find that this position gets 3 times as many reps or more per game this year as it ever has before under BP and good grief we have some great kids at this position.

TB: I'll admit our depth at this position is unproven. But to say that Williams in unproven? Well Robert, if you want to say that a kid who rushed for 5.1 yards per carry every time he was handed the ball as a true freshman and had an average of 26 yards per reception last year on 8 receptions is unproven, then I just don't know what to say to you. The only problem with Williams was JLS and PP not giving him more opportunities last year.

The good side of all of this is that we have a great freshman coming in who we hope can contribute immediately and we have sufficient overall depth at this position that there isn't any need for any single RB to be overused and worn out.

O-Line: I agree, this is going to be a good, solid and more productive unit this fall and just by the way, I thought Bielema was a Noseguard in college, not an O-Lineman?

ST: Hocker will be good. I have faith in this kid. As important as his performance may be, there is more to ST's than just the punter or place kicker. Wisconsin's overall ST performance last year ranked (on average) in the top third of the NCAA last year. Meanwhile we had an avg ST rank of #72.5 out of 120 teams last season. I expect significant improvement in coverage and returns this year.

D-Line: This is the strength of the team Robert, and not just on paper. It was last year and it will be this year, again. And just because your D-Line is strong and is good against the run (top 20 LY) and they apply plenty of pressure (4th in the SEC LY in Hurries/Sacks Per Opportunity) on the QB in passing situations, doesn't automatically equate to better pass defense as we saw last year.

LB: We may not know what we are going to get this year at these positions, but we had at least a couple of freshmen were thrown into the fire last year due to injuries and that experience should be helpful. We've added a couple of JC LB's and that should help as well, and then there is the emergence of Carr as the MLB. Surprising, but I'm going to trust that Randy Shannon with all of his experience, knows what he is doing.

Secondary: Lots of work to be done here but the good news is that there really isn't anywhere to go but up. Having ranked #113 in pass defense after the front seven produced a stingy run defense and the 4th best pass pressure in the SEC last year, they are going to have to do better than one PBU in every 9.9 passing attempts (10th in the SEC) and better than one INT in every 37.4 passing attempts (12th in the SEC). If this unit can produce a pass defense ranking of around #40 our defense as a whole is going to be greatly improved.

Not sure where you were trying to go with your attempt to explain being "clever". You don't have to be "clever" you have to be relatively smart to play offense and be cool enough to process the line calls, formation changes, audibles that are called and you have to have great technique and from my particular point of view, I like an O-Lineman with an attitude.

And as far as the overall "attitude" of the entire team, I think you are going to see a team full of kids with a chip on their shoulders who are anxious to prove themselves and who will have much tougher attitudes this year.

As far as people who are "clever enough" to score, I'm not too concerned about this.

When it comes to the required "attitude" to put people out of a game, I don't think that is going to be the collective focus of this team, Robert. I believe that they will be focused on successfully executing their individual position responsibilities as a part of the team and grading out high as a result in post game films and if they are able to do that repeatedly, we will win a lot of games.

Everyone loves the highlight reel hits and they are fun to watch, but this year I'll trade a boatload of those for winning a minimum of 7 games this year.
The problem with your response is that it contains far too many FACTS. The last word is the bothersome key to any reply to one of Bobby's weekly "jokefests" as you've actually done something he very rarely does: actually researched and thought out what you're writing ahead of time. Like any good cub reporter ole Shields is more concerned with the fluff of appearance rather than substance. Heck, like many before him he follows the old "don't let facts stand in the way of a good story" approach to his (yellow) "journalism".

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Seebs on July 01, 2013, 07:32:20 pm
I'd be cranky too if I had to live in the swollen abscess of a city like Memphis.

P.S. - you posted a response in Bob's thread as well - so I dub thee King of the Losers. Grats. Now open your window and smell the smell of Memphis failure.
Where one lives has nothing to do with the stupidity of others as exhibited in every thread Bob starts with his articles. Deflection attempt by one of the morons is humorous.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on July 02, 2013, 07:18:58 am
The problem with your response is that it contains far too many FACTS. The last word is the bothersome key to any reply to one of Bobby's weekly "jokefests" as you've actually done something he very rarely does: actually researched and thought out what you're writing ahead of time. Like any good cub reporter ole Shields is more concerned with the fluff of appearance rather than substance. Heck, like many before him he follows the old "don't let facts stand in the way of a good story" approach to his (yellow) "journalism".

Well I just wanted to give Robert a fair shake and a fair response other than what he usually gets. And yeah, I tend to think that facts are important but I included a lot of opinion in my response, just like in his post.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

I might also add Robert, if J. Williams was at Alabama last year he might have been one of their feature RB's. Think about it. Any kid, with as little emphasis as we had last year on power run blocking, that can average 5.1 yards per carry, has really achieved something. Add in the fact that he averaged 26 yds per reception on only 8 receptions last year, and you have a really productive RB. Add our returning RB's to that mix along with Alex Collins and two bruising FB's to lead them through the hole, and I think we are in a lot better position at RB than most think.
Go Hogs Go!

DOGALUM

Quote from: HoginMemphis on July 02, 2013, 07:32:39 am
Where one lives has nothing to do with the stupidity of others as exhibited in every thread Bob starts with his articles. Deflection attempt by one of the morons is humorous.
Where one lives speaks volumes about that person. 

Anyone who lives in the ass-crack of the nation (Memphis) has no business calling anyone else a loser.   

(However....no matter where YOU lived....you would still be a bag)

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Robert Shields

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 02, 2013, 08:48:15 am
I might also add Robert, if J. Williams was at Alabama last year he might have been one of their feature RB's. Think about it. Any kid, with as little emphasis as we had last year on power run blocking, that can average 5.1 yards per carry, has really achieved something. Add in the fact that he averaged 26 yds per reception on only 8 receptions last year, and you have a really productive RB. Add our returning RB's to that mix along with Alex Collins and two bruising FB's to lead them through the hole, and I think we are in a lot better position at RB than most think.

I agree with this.  I wrote Williams had potential, but at this point it's still just speculation.

Also in an earlier post, yes, Bielema played noseguard at Iowa.  He also played tight end in high school.  As posted earlier, I think he was a better than decent player at this position.

Piggage

Quote from: LRRandy on July 01, 2013, 04:30:41 pm

I didn't have a yard number in mind. My thought was we have 4 winnable non-conference games (admittedly one is tougher than the others), and 2 or 3 SEC opponents won't exactly start the season in the top 5 nationally.

If on December 1, we're all saying, "Well, we got no production from Alex Collins this season," we would see that as a problem/disappointment (barring injury, etc.). I don't think many of us would say, "We shouldn't have expected production from Collins--he's a freshman."

In my definition of "production," we did get production from Jonathan Williams last year, and he is not unproven.

superior_wang

um, anyone that needs  a "reporter" to clue them in that this year will be trying at best, isn't informed enough to be watching the team. New coach, new qb, very  strong schedule... recipe for 5-7. We know that.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Robert Shields on July 02, 2013, 09:16:29 am
I agree with this.  I wrote Williams had potential, but at this point it's still just speculation.

Also in an earlier post, yes, Bielema played noseguard at Iowa.  He also played tight end in high school.  As posted earlier, I think he was a better than decent player at this position.

That's the whole point Robert, it isn't speculation, the kid has proven already that he can perform. The error was on the part of the coaching staff for not having utilized him to a greater degree last year. 5.1 yards per carry and 26 yards per reception against SEC competition is proving yourself.
Go Hogs Go!

Robert Shields

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 02, 2013, 09:16:07 am
Where one lives speaks volumes about that person. 

Anyone who lives in the ass-crack of the nation (Memphis) has no business calling anyone else a loser.   

(However....no matter where YOU lived....you would still be a bag)

Memphis has it's problems like most large metro areas, but I don't think just because someone lives there that means they are a loser.  It's a city approaching 1.5 million and one of the larger cities in the US.  For better or worse, its also a very iconic city as it appears in songs and literature as one of the largest if not the largest city on the Mississippi River.  I believe it surpasses St Louis and New Orleans in city population.

superior_wang

Quote from: Robert Shields on July 02, 2013, 09:36:37 am
Memphis has it's problems like most large metro areas, but I don't think just because someone lives there that means they are a loser.  It's a city approaching 1.5 million and one of the larger cities in the US.  For better or worse, its also a very iconic city as it appears in songs and literature as one of the largest if not the largest city on the Mississippi River.  I believe it surpasses St Louis and New Orleans in city population.

I assume to be the ass crack of the nation, the population must be high enough to exclude Pine Bluff, AR?

PonderinHog

Quote from: Piggage on July 02, 2013, 09:17:25 am
I didn't have a yard number in mind. My thought was we have 4 winnable non-conference games (admittedly one is tougher than the others), and 2 or 3 SEC opponents won't exactly start the season in the top 5 nationally.

If on December 1, we're all saying, "Well, we got no production from Alex Collins this season," we would see that as a problem/disappointment (barring injury, etc.). I don't think many of us would say, "We shouldn't have expected production from Collins--he's a freshman."

In my definition of "production," we did get production from Jonathan Williams last year, and he is not unproven.
On December 1st, I hope I'm saying, "Darren Who?"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DLUXHOG on July 01, 2013, 11:17:57 pm
Yawnnnn........... The Hogs are sure going to suprise some of you folks THIS year....

I think they will also. Maybe not as much as some expect, but certainly more than a lot of others on here think.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 02, 2013, 10:11:51 am
On December 1st, I hope I'm saying, "Darren Who?"

Williams will crack the 1,000 yard barrier this year, IMO. By how much remains to be seen, but he'll top that mark and I expect that Collins will gain over 500. Now if we can get 300+ out of 3 other RB's/FB's, we will have a team that rushed for over 2,400 yards and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us throw for another 2,800 in the regular season. Those are good offensive numbers in anyones books and if we can do that and the defense ranks around #30-#40 overall, we are going to win a lot of games and have a nice bowl game to attend.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Robert Shields on July 02, 2013, 09:16:29 am

So what's the deal, Robert? You wanted responses to your "column" and I gave you a detailed response. Don't like answering detailed responses to your long winded columns in detail? That seems a little disengenuous my friend. I know you are anxious to start that next book about the young ladies tea party or whatever, but if you are going to write these things and someone is going to take the time to respond to you in detail, the least you could do is respond similarly to engage the debate/opinion side of your "column". Just sayin man, what's good for the goose and all...

Or are you actually trolling for all of the negative responses because you enjoy being cast in the spotlight? Or are you a legit fan and poster? Here's your chance.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Robert Shields on July 02, 2013, 09:36:37 am

Wrong Robert OR at least a little disingenuous. Memphis is not close to one of the largest and the METRO area isn't either. Memphis has a population of 672,567. The METRO area has a population of over 1.3 million. Although Memphis CITY is larger than those BOTH as an individual city, the other METRO areas are MUCH bigger metro areas on the River which is really what people see and relate to when talking about "cities". I live in a Memphis suburb. 90% of the people that live in the actually CITY of Memphis may not be losers but they ARE crazy dumb for doing so.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 02, 2013, 01:55:30 pm
So what's the deal, Robert? You wanted responses to your "column" and I gave you a detailed response. Don't like answering detailed responses to your long winded columns in detail? That seems a little disengenuous my friend. I know you are anxious to start that next book about the young ladies tea party or whatever, but if you are going to write these things and someone is going to take the time to respond to you in detail, the least you could do is respond similarly to engage the debate/opinion side of your "column". Just sayin man, what's good for the goose and all...

Or are you actually trolling for all of the negative responses because you enjoy being cast in the spotlight? Or are you a legit fan and poster? Here's your chance.
'Fraid your wrong about his next book. Based on last week's insightful expose the U of A has begged him (on bended knee) to review their plans for frivolous spending projects. You know....such as the site of the MRS degree, that would be Faulkner Fine Arts Theatre if I recall, or the long overdue upgrades at Yockum. BTW I agree that those wall stains from Robert's good old days of shaving cream fights finally need to be dealt with.

However, if we all hang in there we'll doubtless discover Bobby's latest fresh and exciting read soon to hit Amazon and news stands everywhere. This one will likely be a deep and thorough examination of Wally Hall's athletic exploits throughout the years. Now THAT should prove to be worth the wait.