Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Dan Enos heading to Michigan

Started by BR, January 05, 2018, 01:13:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: 010HogFan on January 05, 2018, 02:48:26 pm
I guess I was never as enamored with him as a lot of people were. I think he was decent, and could be pretty good at times, but wildly inconsistent from one game to the next. A perfectly called game would oftentimes be followed up with one filled with headscratching play calls, especially once we got inside the 10 yd. line. No telling how much of this was Bret's doing. Out of everything, I think he was the best at developing QBs. He represented us well, so I'm rooting for him to do well.
This... +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

WaltonCollege

Quote from: IronHog on January 05, 2018, 03:55:44 pm

3-4 was a BS move

We don't have enough quality d lineman or backers. We were screwed either way but ya. Not enough serviceable 300lbers on the dline to let greenlawn or scoota to run free. Outside of Agim we really had no dline this year.

Ā 

rzrbk4life

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 05, 2018, 01:44:43 pm
If they take the reins off Enos and let him do what he wants, Michigan will be the better for it.

FAN in your opinion did we truly see Enos offense here?
Let's call those hogs!!!!

stronguard

Im suprised at the amount of respect for Enos' coaching abilities.

He was the most overrated playcaller Ive ever seen.  Many of our O-line issues were due to his insistence on running gadget plays when it was 3rd and inches.  Michigan will not beat OSU if Enos is calling plays, and he'll never be the head man of big blue.  No way they hire a former Sparty QB to be their man. 
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Uncle Remus on January 05, 2018, 01:21:31 pm
I'm starting to think that the only person better at pumping up a fanbase's level of expectations and failing to deliver more often that the previous regime is a man named Jim Harbaugh.

yep. a lot of football watchers are beginning to speculate that it's a con in progress....
The rest of the frog.

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on January 05, 2018, 03:35:04 pm

Why y'all so obsessed with money?

Money is the least of UA athletics concerns

Not according to Irwin.....

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: IronHog on January 05, 2018, 02:59:32 pm

He is the offensive coordinator

So, I'm guessing you think that Enos was the one responsible for the hiring of KA--and the one responsible for not firing him?  Was Enos the one responsible for the musical chairs for positions?

If so, then I will blame Enos.  But, you and I may have a different opinion on who was actually calling the shots.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: RazorWest on January 05, 2018, 03:30:01 pm
I'd take Chaney and Pittman (in the natty this year) to Enos and Anderson any day

Enos and Pittman were better than those two combinations.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: IronHog on January 05, 2018, 03:35:04 pm

Why y'all so obsessed with money?

Money is the least of UA athletics concerns

Is your name on a building on campus? If not you are pretty loose with someone else's cash. But whining is your thing so sing us a song crybaby. Maybe a little Joplin would be fitting.  ;D

I believe both Chaney and Enos wanted to make their boss happy while here but didn't really believe in the system Bret favored.  So they tried to operate a middle of the road something or the other that didn't really favor anything but scratch your head and wonder what the hell.  Chaney has gone on to show he isn't a dumbass and I believe Enos will too.  Bret may not have encouraged the slap jack crap we often did but I believe he was the reason for it.

Expect Enos to do well in Michigan.  The Guy, in my opinion, is a good football Guy and I am sorry that is time here likely hurt his rep.  Probably hurt lots of decent coaches reps.  For that I am truly sorry.  Jeff Long's stupidity hurt a bunch of folks who didn't deserve it.  I certainly do not believe Jeff intended that to happen, he just didn't know better.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: 12247 on January 05, 2018, 06:02:43 pm
I believe both Chaney and Enos wanted to make their boss happy while here but didn't really believe in the system Bret favored.  So they tried to operate a middle of the road something or the other that didn't really favor anything but scratch your head and wonder what the hell.  Chaney has gone on to show he isn't a dumbass and I believe Enos will too.  Bret may not have encouraged the slap jack crap we often did but I believe he was the reason for it.

Expect Enos to do well in Michigan.  The Guy, in my opinion, is a good football Guy and I am sorry that is time here likely hurt his rep.  Probably hurt lots of decent coaches reps.  For that I am truly sorry.  Jeff Long's stupidity hurt a bunch of folks who didn't deserve it.  I certainly do not believe Jeff intended that to happen, he just didn't know better.

Well, from what I saw...neither of these guys could call plays to excite an offense about success. In fact, they were both horrendously TERRIBLE at it.  This is REQUIRED to be a successful play caller in the SEC, to turn the momentum in your favor if your offense struggles.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: rzrbk4life on January 05, 2018, 04:30:56 pm
FAN in your opinion did we truly see Enos offense here?

You did not see the Dan Enos offense.  When he was at Central Michigan, you saw multiple sets, motion, and a more wide open game.  I was thrilled when he was hired.  I was even more thrilled when I sat at the dinner table with my son and we talked about the line calls, formations and schemes.  We saw much less than half of what Enos wanted to do.  A coaching staff is a pyramid.  The top of the pyramid was too conservative.   That's why 2017 was maddening.  I liked the staff.  They are great guys. They are knowledgeable and know the game.  That's what hurt so much. You'll never convince me that if Enos and Rhoads had been allowed to take more risks and be more aggressive, a vast majority of the staff would still be here. But I think people will be surprised how quickly the Morris offense will be picked up by the players.  It is more of what they are built to do. 2017 was round pegs in square holes.  2018 won't be.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Ā 

jcharkansas

Enos was one of the coaches I did really like on the staff, if BB wasn't so set in his slow offense and actually let Enos do what he wanted, I think we would of been a much better team. I guess we will find out next year, assuming Harbaugh let's him run the offense himself.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: jcharkansas on January 05, 2018, 09:52:41 pm
Enos was one of the coaches I did really like on the staff, if BB wasn't so set in his slow offense and actually let Enos do what he wanted, I think we would of been a much better team. I guess we will find out next year, assuming Harbaugh let's him run the offense himself.

I am curious to see that too.

IronHog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on January 05, 2018, 05:18:52 pm
Is your name on a building on campus? If not you are pretty loose with someone else's cash. But whining is your thing so sing us a song crybaby.

Maybe they are broke.  Don't care.

Trying to actually build a stadium on campus was foolish anyway.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

ArmyHog

I felt like his offense was very predictable and simple but maybe thats what he was asked to do. I do do think he is built better for the Big 10. Hope he does well.

ArmyHog

We are going to be better off with coaches and assistants from the southern part of the country. Texas, Louisana, Arkansas, Mississippi and Florida.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: IronHog on January 05, 2018, 10:13:58 pm
Maybe they are broke.  Don't care.

Trying to actually build a stadium on campus was foolish anyway.

Man you must be a barrel of laughs at parties.  ;D

The Kig

Quote from: stronguard on January 05, 2018, 04:43:28 pm

He was the most overrated playcaller Ive ever seen.  Many of our O-line issues were due to his insistence on running gadget plays when it was 3rd and inches.  Michigan will not beat OSU if Enos is calling plays, and he'll never be the head man of big blue.  No way they hire a former Sparty QB to be their man.

I am not surprised that there are people stupid enough to think he was overrated.
Poker Porker

goodguytex

Quote from: The Kig on January 06, 2018, 03:04:08 am
I am not surprised that there are people stupid enough to think he was overrated.
He wasn't overrated in 2015 and 2016 when our offense was leading or close to the lead in the SEC. Our biggest problems the last 2 years up until this year were oline play, and defense. Enos had his issues, but he doesn't deserve much of the scorn he gets on here. Bielema and Anderson deserve more of the blame.

ArmyHog

I think Anderson was the main reason for the bad offense. Just a bad hire.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: BR on January 05, 2018, 01:13:03 pm
Just saw on internet Coach Enos will be hired at Michigan

Enos will reportedly join the Michigan staff, according to Sports Illustrated's Bruce Feldman. Enos has a ton of experience in the state, as he served as the head coach at Central Michigan from 2010-14 as well as serving as a Michigan State assistant. The former Razorbacks offensive coordinator also played quarterback at Michigan State.
Good. He never did much in his 3 years at Arkansas.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Ā 

King Kong

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 06, 2018, 09:25:13 am
Good. He never did much in his 3 years at Arkansas.

Had the number one offense in the SEC in 2015. But coming from you any negative swipes should be taken as a complement

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: King Kong on January 06, 2018, 11:23:10 am
Had the number one offense in the SEC in 2015. But coming from you any negative swipes should be taken as a complement
Learn to spell if you will be writing in public. 2015 huh? Great year for Arkansas football as I recall. What about 2016 and 2017?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Tuskarilla

Michigan now has our old strength and conditioning coach.....good luck with that!

King Kong

January 06, 2018, 01:02:10 pm #77 Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 01:19:34 pm by King Kong
Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 06, 2018, 11:31:40 am
Learn to spell if you will be writing in public. 2015 huh? Great year for Arkansas football as I recall. What about 2016 and 2017?

First not a single word is misspelled. Now may I have spelled complement meaning compliment for words that are literally pronounced the same, yes. But I also look for pointing out grammar issues when I have zero facts to back up ignorant statements like you posted.

Second. 2016 was also very good year statistically. Of course 2017 wasn't. But of the leading rusher Hayden was lost for the season, lead returning Wr lost for the season, starting QB out for 4 games and starting center who still made multiple All American teams missed 5. All facts that you will ignore.

But don't be surprised when I and other posters continue to call you our for stupid posts

jcharkansas

IMO, he was probably the best assistant we had, I thought he actually worked with the QBS trying to develop them,  I do think he could have been much more effective without BB and , at Arkansas, he seemed better than Chaney to me. If he would of had a good Oline coach I think he would have been much more successful.

PonderinHog

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 05, 2018, 09:38:42 pm
You did not see the Dan Enos offense.  When he was at Central Michigan, you saw multiple sets, motion, and a more wide open game.  I was thrilled when he was hired.  I was even more thrilled when I sat at the dinner table with my son and we talked about the line calls, formations and schemes.  We saw much less than half of what Enos wanted to do.  A coaching staff is a pyramid.  The top of the pyramid was too conservative.   That's why 2017 was maddening.  I liked the staff.  They are great guys. They are knowledgeable and know the game.  That's what hurt so much. You'll never convince me that if Enos and Rhoads had been allowed to take more risks and be more aggressive, a vast majority of the staff would still be here. But I think people will be surprised how quickly the Morris offense will be picked up by the players.  It is more of what they are built to do. 2017 was round pegs in square holes.  2018 won't be.

Fan's post answers several questions.

I always believed Enos was better than he showed (or was allowed to show).

There were a couple big things working against the offense this last year (and probably back further than that). One, the drop off in our offensive line play...leading to all the quarterback sacks and inconsistent running game. This is on Bielema and Anderson...the line play was their deal (recruiting, who played where, etc). And two, things always FELT dysfunctional with our offense, but I didn't know exactly why. Word started coming out about the differences in philosophy/approach between Bielema and Enos. How could we possibly have been successful with that situation? Look at Bama...we always wondered if Kiffin and Saban were a little like oil and water, but no doubt when it mattered, they got things in synch. And weren't on opposite ends.

Regarding the risk-taking issue (with both coordinators)...this was puzzling to me. With their familiarity with our personnel, our coaching staff had to know we weren't physically capable of simply lining up and winning every 11-on-11 battle. Some different twists had to be thrown in. We needed to take some chances. We had to compensate somehow for our lack of manpower/depth.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. ā€”Torqued Pork

wildhogman

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 05, 2018, 06:11:56 pm
Well, from what I saw...neither of these guys could call plays to excite an offense about success. In fact, they were both horrendously TERRIBLE at it.  This is REQUIRED to be a successful play caller in the SEC, to turn the momentum in your favor if your offense struggles.
so chaney will be calling plays for a team that's playing for a natty come Monday and won the SEC, but in reality he is a p*** poor play caller. Got it. No matter hwat you say from this point forward all credibility is now shot, gone.

iHog

I will say this, no QB that Enos brought in has impressed me to this point. However, there's a lot to be said for the improvement of Brandon Allen once Enos got here.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on January 06, 2018, 01:24:20 pm
Fan's post answers several questions.

I always believed Enos was better than he showed (or was allowed to show).

There were a couple big things working against the offense this last year (and probably back further than that). One, the drop off in our offensive line play...leading to all the quarterback sacks and inconsistent running game. This is on Bielema and Anderson...the line play was their deal (recruiting, who played where, etc). And two, things always FELT dysfunctional with our offense, but I didn't know exactly why. Word started coming out about the differences in philosophy/approach between Bielema and Enos. How could we possibly have been successful with that situation? Look at Bama...we always wondered if Kiffin and Saban were a little like oil and water, but no doubt when it mattered, they got things in synch. And weren't on opposite ends.

Regarding the risk-taking issue (with both coordinators)...this was puzzling to me. With their familiarity with our personnel, our coaching staff had to know we weren't physically capable of simply lining up and winning every 11-on-11 battle. Some different twists had to be thrown in. We needed to take some chances. We had to compensate somehow for our lack of manpower/depth.

I agree about FanOnTheHill's post. Sums it up I think. And you're right about "dysfunctional." This past season, at times our play was so poor it was hard to say what the problem was. The fact was, it wasn't one problem. But I also got the feeling all year long that our Coaching Staff did not do things to help our team. Usually called "putting players in position to be successful."

Since this thread is about Dan Enos, I'll say the same thing about him I said about many aspects of our team. How could you tell if he was good/bad/whatever for us?? He might have been terrific (if not for CBB's involvement). There were times, before this season, our offense was spectacular. (And I know we had guys who could make it that way--a healthy Austin, RWIII, Morgan and all our veteran receivers.) This year we were missing all or most of those guys. But with who we have coming back, I don't know if we have big-time playmakers or not. But I'm pretty sure Morris will find out.

King Kong

Quote from: iHog on January 06, 2018, 02:36:47 pm
I will say this, no QB that Enos brought in has impressed me to this point. However, there's a lot to be said for the improvement of Brandon Allen once Enos got here.

Lol, Kelley is the only QB he brought in who has played

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: iHog on January 05, 2018, 01:16:02 pm
We have had an excellent staff just not the right head coach. Many on the previous staff have moved on to equal or better positions.
The head coach sets the tone and has a hand in everything.

I've stated this before: you can have a good staff but if head coach is not good, you won't be very successful. Conversely, if you have a good head coach and an average staff, you can still be successful.

The head coach is everything in college sports. Get that part right, and everything else falls into place. People tend to worry too much about who the assistants are.

PonderinHog

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Shakey

Quote from: stronguard on January 05, 2018, 04:43:28 pm

Gadget plays were Bielema, not Enos.

Our O-line issues were players, not coaches.  That's why Pittman left...he knew what we had and he didn't want his name tarnished over it.  Anderson is not Pittman, but he isn't nearly as bad as our o-line portrayed him to be.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Shakey on January 08, 2018, 09:33:39 am
Gadget plays were Bielema, not Enos.

Our O-line issues were players, not coaches.  That's why Pittman left...he knew what we had and he didn't want his name tarnished over it.  Anderson is not Pittman, but he isn't nearly as bad as our o-line portrayed him to be.

The five best lineman were never on the field together.  You can't play favorites just because the previous coach recruited them.  Ragnow, Rogers, Wallace, Gibson, Froholdt and Merrick should have been the top 6 in the rotation.  With Jackson and Heinrich close behind.  The four freshman should have all red-shirted.

Pittman left because that's what Pittman does.  Look at his resume'.  He's always there 2-4 years and moves on. Not a knock on Pittman.  He's a great guy and probably my favorite coach my son has had.  The system was changing.  Smaller and more mobile lineman were what Enos wanted.  Screens and sweeps with mobile lineman.  300-310, not 330-350 like Pittman wanted.  He chose to move on.  The problem was that the offensive personnel changed, but the scheme didn't.  Enos didn't open up his playbook and the pieces didn't fit.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

onebadrubi

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 08, 2018, 10:05:16 am

The five best lineman were never on the field together.  You can't play favorites just because the previous coach recruited them.  Ragnow, Rogers, Wallace, Gibson, Froholdt and Merrick should have been the top 6 in the rotation.  With Jackson and Heinrich close behind.  The four freshman should have all red-shirted.

Common since said right there!  Also the team and players knew this as well. 

It was amazing that the one game we move Ragnow out to LT and brought in rogers at center was our best offensive line performance last year, but we abandoned that after one game.  What stupidity by WHICHEVER member of this staff made that call. 

I supported Bielema's move of Kirkland out to LT to the point even having in depth discussions with a national writer that openly came to this board to discuss just that.  However, my support of Bielema putting our best lineman at the most important spot was seemingly ok yet he got away from doing just that right after Kirkland.  Ragnow is a top center sure, but he has the ability to also be a top LT, that is the difference in second and third round and first round lock in the draft.  Oh and also not getting your QB's blasted from their backside.  No clue if Morris will work out or not, but just glad to see some of these decision making people gone. 

stronguard

Quote from: The Kig on January 06, 2018, 03:04:08 am

Name calling gets you nowhere.

I'll bet only one of us has actually PLAYED college football, its probably not you. 
Blame who you like, BB certainly has a share of it too.  But Enos has gone from HC, to OC, to some lesser role.  He's not trending upward in the CF world.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: stronguard on January 08, 2018, 10:44:19 am

I'll bet only one of us has actually PLAYED college football, its probably not you. 
Blame who you like, BB certainly has a share of it too.  But Enos has gone from HC, to OC, to some lesser role.  He's not trending upward in the CF world.
Actually HC at Central Michigan to OC at Arkansas was a huge step up professionally and financially.  Going from Arkansas to Michigan would also be considered moving up if looked at objectively.  National perception is that Michigan > Arkansas.

Shakey

Enos was the lowest paid HC in D1.  He took a 200K raise to go from HC to OC...more money, less responsibility and stress.  He is now the OC in waiting at Michigan, and that "in-waiting" title may come sooner than later depending on how the ND game goes in week 1.

Also, Michigan is paying him $100k/year, so we're still on the hook for the rest.  That deal would be restructured if he becomes the OC and we would likely not have to pay him at that point.

hogcam

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 08, 2018, 11:31:18 am
Actually HC at Central Michigan to OC at Arkansas was a huge step up professionally and financially.  Going from Arkansas to Michigan would also be considered moving up if looked at objectively.  National perception is that Michigan > Arkansas.
Going from Arkansas OC to Michigan position coach is not a step up to anyone.

Hogindasticks

This topic should be moved...no longer an Arkansas issue.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: hogcam on January 08, 2018, 12:58:27 pm
Going from Arkansas OC to Michigan position coach is not a step up to anyone.

Enos played this perfectly.  He returns to his home state as position coach who is under employed at Michigan, still collecting money from Arkansas since he's not named OC, and can market himself at one of the top historical programs.  He can't lose.  Good for him.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ArmyHog on January 06, 2018, 12:16:07 am
We are going to be better off with coaches and assistants from the southern part of the country. Texas, Louisana, Arkansas, Mississippi and Florida.
Good grief! How stupid can one be? Duh.....a guy who has the "chops", knowledge and talents to coach can come from anywhere in the country-not just from the south. And while I do think the OVERALL best college football is played in this "neck of the woods", I readily admit that I'm prejudiced. However, I'm also clear-headed enough to know that just because a team or coach comes from north of the Mason-Dixon Line doesn't automatically exclude them from having excellent football skills.

porque

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 08, 2018, 10:05:16 am

Pittman left because that's what Pittman does.  Look at his resume'.  He's always there 2-4 years and moves on. Not a knock on Pittman.  He's a great guy and probably my favorite coach my son has had.  The system was changing.  Smaller and more mobile lineman were what Enos wanted.  Screens and sweeps with mobile lineman.  300-310, not 330-350 like Pittman wanted.  He chose to move on.  The problem was that the offensive personnel changed, but the scheme didn't.  Enos didn't open up his playbook and the pieces didn't fit.

Why didn't the best five get on the field?  Who played favorites?

Shakey

Which way is he trending now?

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=656164.0