Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spears: Ark lost it's identity

Started by twistitup, November 09, 2017, 05:40:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IronHog

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 10, 2017, 06:16:13 pm
Spread is not high IQ. that's why so many QBs from spread systems struggle in the pros.  they can't read defenses.  It makes decision making easier and the players always look to the sidelines instead of QB calling the audible. 

Spread can be basic to NFL complex.

Most NFL teams are spread to throw now.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on November 10, 2017, 06:41:52 pm
Enos was a bad fit, maybe CBB should do the playcalling - who knows

The bad fit was Enos combined with the O-Line Coach. Doesn't seem that there was ever a complete mesh of philosophies that were a good fit for each other. That doesn't mean that Enos is a bad OC.
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 10, 2017, 10:46:59 pm
The bad fit was Enos combined with the O-Line Coach. Doesn't seem that there was ever a complete mesh of philosophies that were a good fit for each other. That doesn't mean that Enos is a bad OC.
...wish I could say I was impressed w Enos- I'm not
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on November 11, 2017, 03:56:27 am
...wish I could say I was impressed w Enos- I'm not

I don't like all of his calls but I realize that we are all coming from a fan's perspective and we don't have all of the information that he has access to in terms of our opponents down and distance tendencies in certain alignments. Some of the reason that plays don't seem to work is a matter of execution on the field and the coaches can't go out on the field and get that done.

If there is one thing that is easily fixed and that really grinds my gears, it is not getting the doggone plays in fast enough. That is one thing that I will say for Bobby Petrino, he was usually thinking 3-4-5 plays ahead about what he wanted to run to set the defense up for a particular big play and really, any good OC is usually thinking at least 3 plays ahead. I don't think Enos does a very good job of this.
Go Hogs Go!

Steef

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 11, 2017, 05:37:25 am
I don't like all of his calls but I realize that we are all coming from a fan's perspective and we don't have all of the information that he has access to in terms of our opponents down and distance tendencies in certain alignments. Some of the reason that plays don't seem to work is a matter of execution on the field and the coaches can't go out on the field and get that done.

If there is one thing that is easily fixed and that really grinds my gears, it is not getting the doggone plays in fast enough. That is one thing that I will say for Bobby Petrino, he was usually thinking 3-4-5 plays ahead about what he wanted to run to set the defense up for a particular big play and really, any good OC is usually thinking at least 3 plays ahead. I don't think Enos does a very good job of this.

Ive been perplexed by playcalling for a while. I originally assumed like you, he was forced to call the plays they could run.

Its been three years. At some point, hes supposed to teach them how to run other plays.

Youngsta71701

November 11, 2017, 05:58:04 am #105 Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:13:04 am by Youngsta71701
Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on November 09, 2017, 06:41:41 pm
So we established ourselves as a tough outing in CBB's first 3 years because of physical oline play.  Yet in that 3rd year B Allen was most successful (everyone was pissed because he wasnt all sec), we probably had arguably our strongest backfield, and we had our best record.  But thats when the slide started, uh huh...
Ladies and Gentlemen, it's not hard to figure out what he's saying. We went from a physical smash mouth football team to a soft throw the ball around the yard 50 times a game football team. And on defense we went from a physical aggressive football team to a soft as a hushpuppy sit back and let the opposing offense do whatever they wanna do football team. And that transformation happened sometime during the Bret Bielema era. Actually I think it happened when BA was the QB. Even when we had Ryan Mallett, Tyler Wilson and all those great receivers we still were a physical run the ball before we pass it football team. And we still ran it more than we passed it.

FYI: Aggressive doesn't mean blitz on every play.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 11, 2017, 05:58:04 am
Ladies and Gentlemen, it's not hard to figure out what he's saying. We went from a physical smash mouth football team to a soft throw the ball around the yard 50 times a game football team. And on defense we went from a physical aggressive football team to a soft as a hushpuppy sit back and let the opposing offense do whatever they wanna do football team. And that transformation happened sometime during the Bret Bielema era. Actually I think it happened when BA was that QB. Even when we had Ryan Mallett, Tyler Wilson and all those great receivers we still were a physical run the ball before we pass it football team. And we still ran it more than we passed it.

FYI: Aggressive doesn't mean blitz on every play.

Game Averages by Season and through 9 games in 2017. One season we have averaged over 30 pass attempts p/gm, but our rushing effectiveness has certainly decreased.

2013          2014        2015        2016         2017
Total Yards         357.2         406.0       465.5       428.4        388.5
Total Plays           64.6           70.5        68.2         71.0         69.1
Yards/Play            5.5             5.8          6.8           6.0          5.6
Pass Att              25.1           27.6        28.8         31.2         28.8
Pass Cmpl            12.5           15.3        18.9         19.0         16.7
Cmpl %                49.8           55.4        65.8         60.8         57.9
Pass Yards          148.5          188.0      268.2       264.2        205.8
Yds/Attempt          5.9             6.8         9.3           8.5          7.2
Yds/Compl            11.9           12.3        14.2         13.9         12.3
Rush Attempts      39.5            42.8       39.4         39.8         40.3
Rush Yards          208.7          218.0      197.3       164.2        182.7
Yds/Rush Att         5.3             5.1         5.0           4.1           4.5 
Go Hogs Go!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 11, 2017, 08:43:06 am
Game Averages by Season and through 9 games in 2017. One season we have averaged over 30 pass attempts p/gm, but our rushing effectiveness has certainly decreased.

Yards/Play            5.5             5.8          6.8           6.0          5.6
Yds/Rush Att         5.3             5.1         5.0           4.1           4.5
Don't forget that QB sacks go as rushing attempts these days. Which I think is stupid. But it is what it is.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 11, 2017, 09:14:17 am
Don't forget that QB sacks go as rushing attempts these days. Which I think is stupid. But it is what it is.

I'm not forgetting that, but the sack yards count against rushing yards, they don't count as rushing attempts. I agree that it would be more applicable to count them against passing numbers. Those numbers nonetheless speak directly to some of the points that you wanted to make.
Go Hogs Go!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 11, 2017, 09:19:24 am
I'm not forgetting that, but the sack yards count against rushing yards, they don't count as rushing attempts. I agree that it would be more applicable to count them against passing numbers. Those numbers nonetheless speak directly to some of the points that you wanted to make.
No doubt. Even when we get the running game going we don't stay committed to it long enough if you ask me. Now don't get me wrong I'm not one of those guys that thinks you should run the ball on every play but I do believe you run it until they prove they can stop you. And on the same token if they can't stop your passing game then you keep doing that until they prove they can stop you. Whatever is working if it ain't broke don't fix it. And if both is working then well, take your pick. Make it situational.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 11, 2017, 09:23:45 am
No doubt. Even when we get the running game going we don't stay committed to it long enough if you ask me. Now don't get me wrong I'm not one of those guys that thinks you should run the ball on every play but I do believe you run it until they prove they can stop you. And on the same token if they can't stop your passing game then you keep doing that until they prove they can stop you. Whatever is working if it ain't broke don't fix it.

You run it until they adjust, giving you a better opportunity to throw. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 11, 2017, 09:26:16 am
You run it until they adjust, giving you a better opportunity to throw. JMO
Yep, that too. Put it like this. I don't believe in throwing the ball just because. You ever notice how if we run the ball on 1st down and pick up maybe 2 or 3 yards then it's almost an automatic pass or play-action pass on 2nd down which results in a lot of the sacks we give up? To me that is way to predictable. You have to mix it up and keep the defense guessing and off balance.

Youngsta71701

I love our pro-style offensive scheme but I can't stand our bend & break (supposed to be bend but don't break) defensive scheme. I love a dominating 3 & out or turnover creating defense.

twistitup

Do we establish a run game first today?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on November 11, 2017, 10:31:23 am

LSU averages allowing 4.2 YPC and we average 4.5 p/carry. LSU is #11 in the country in pass efficiency defense allowing just 157 yards passing/gm and a 53% completion percentage. They are #8 in Team Sacks with an average of 3.33 p/gm while we average giving up 3.1 p/gm. What do you think? Are we going to try to fool them by going "pass first"?
Go Hogs Go!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: twistitup on November 11, 2017, 10:31:23 am
Against a defense like LSU I might come out with a little play action pass just to keep them honest. But against a defense like Coastal Carolina I would have run the ball down their throats the whole game until they couldn't take it anymore.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 11, 2017, 10:41:32 am
LSU averages allowing 4.2 YPC and we average 4.5 p/carry. LSU is #11 in the country in pass efficiency defense allowing just 157 yards passing/gm and a 53% completion percentage. That are #8 in Team Sacks with an average of 3.33 p/gm while we average giving up 3.1 p/gm. What do you think? Are we going to try to fool them by going "pass first"?
Probably.

Youngsta71701

I can almost guaran damn tee you one thing, whatever it is that we should do we will probably do the opposite. Because we're backwards like that.

twistitup

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 11, 2017, 10:44:11 am
I can almost guaran damn tee you one thing, whatever it is that we should do we will probably do the opposite. Because we're backwards like that.

You think we establish the run or pass first? Make a prediction....c'mon

Deep Shoat

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 09, 2017, 09:16:19 pm
I'm not talking about BB or any particular class.  I know Spears comment was about BA passing the ball 50 times. 

I'm talking about Arkansas's identity as a PROGRAM, the identity that made it a TOP 20 PROGRAM.  Crowe screwed the fundamentally sound part of it up in less than two years.  Broyles hired Ford to fix it.  He did at least to the extent he put together a roster of hardnosed football players who could run and stop the run.  What did Orgeron just say about why LSU is playing well?  "We've learned to run and stop the run." 

Nutt showed up with a wide open offense by Ford and Broyles standards and did well with Stoerner, Lucas and Davenport because he could run and play defense.  Broyles reined him in on passing but made sure he kept the defense and special teams.

Petrino came in and turned Arkansas's mindset into Louisville, Thursday-night style football.  Fans bought into it and now they're clamoring for Oregon and Baylor, 

Spears is right.  Arkansas has no identity.  Worse, its fans don't even know what he's talking about.
HERE HERE!
All Gas, No Brakes!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 11, 2017, 08:43:06 am

The team's biggest issue during Bielema's time is the defense, not the offense.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

thebignasty

Quote from: IronHog on November 10, 2017, 07:44:16 pm
Spread can be basic to NFL complex.

Most NFL teams are spread to throw now.
yep

Spread is really just describing the basic formation ideology.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 11, 2017, 10:49:28 am

I have those numbers as well. They aren't pretty.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronHog on November 10, 2017, 12:57:56 pm

I'd say it's becase JFB stayed too long.

Arkansas should be a premier passing school

I bet you're glad to be out of the rubber room..............or maybe you aren't out.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dominicanhog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 10, 2017, 06:04:53 am
The worst thing that has happened to the Football Program in the last five years has nothing to do with Jeff Long or Bret Bielema.  It's when Sam Pittman left for Georgia.  The heart and soul of the physical football team was the Oline Pittman built and it has not been replicated since he left. 

They have a spread roster trying to play Power "I" football. 
Square pegs in round holes.

The defense isn't addressed here, but it's pretty simple.  The fear of the big play has taken away aggressiveness.

This is the problem.. Enos vs, Chaney... 350 pounder's looking for 3 yards and a cloud of dust.. one of the first things Enos mentioned, more nimble guards..able to pull and screen... which is great but they don't have the road-graders to control the clock... stack the box against an over matched line.. wala

Dominicanhog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 11, 2017, 10:49:28 am

what about special teams?.. I think your selling him short...

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 11, 2017, 11:02:11 am
what about special teams?.. I think your selling him short...
Sure, they have been awful too. But it begins and ends with defense for every team and defense has been a boil on Bielema's fat arse since he's been at Ark. And he's gained 100 lbs since he came to Ark so that is a huge arse.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

IronHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 11, 2017, 10:54:42 am
I bet you're glad to be out of the rubber room..............or maybe you aren't out.

Run it up the gut play not to lose BS don't work anymore

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: twistitup on November 11, 2017, 10:47:27 am
You think we establish the run or pass first? Make a prediction....c'mon
C. None of the Above

Lol...

twistitup